God of War vs. Zelda

allen9917

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Which franchise is more successful/popular? Which of the two blockbusters are more blockbuster, has more impact on the gaming industry? If you can only play one of the two series, which one would you choose?

Popular? Zelda

Currently none really have an impact on the gaming industry, but overall Zelda has had more of an impact.

I'd rather play through the Zelda franchise then God of War since God of War is just an average action game, but Zelda used to be great.

This seems like a strange comparison to ask. They are two different genres and I would say two completely different leagues. Zelda easily blows God of War out of the water. God of War is simply a copy of games like Devil May Cry. It didn't offer much beyond a fun experience cutting things in half and wreaking general mayhem. The Zelda series on the other hand, was one of the first of its kind to be brought to the US. It offered an in-depth adventure game with an interesting story and game mechanics. Since its first game, it has branched into new stories and game mechanics while still managing to hold n to the basics common in almost everyone of its games. The Legend of Zelda series has a much larger impact than God of War. I believe that in a decade or more, we will still be talking about the Zelda games, but no one will really care or remember the God of War series.

Its apples and oranges, but ill chime in. Zelda is a legendary series and brings elements of several genres together in a unique package. God of war is just as epic but much more action brawler based than the action/adventure and puzzle solving gameplay of Zelda.

While both series hold a place in my heart, Zelda takes the cake for me BUT since Nintendo is shitting all over the franchise with motion//stylus controls, I haven't cared to put any effort into a Zelda game since the GC/GBA era.. which is coincidentally when the first GoW was released.

i dont like either series anymore to be honest.

gow was cool but they killed it with gow3 that story was complete shit and basically was kind of an fu imo to everyone who follwed it for the first 2 games.

zelda was a good series hell one of the best but after oot you realize how its basically the same damn game over and over with changes here and there. if youve played one you know what to expect from each one especially when it comes to the dungeons and boss battles ( water, fire, ice, woods ect).

and like someone else mentioned nintendo shoehorning in motion controls to the series didnt innovate anything and the series has been pretty stale and stagnant since after oot.

and back to the boss battles once you play sotc you really see what a true boss battle should feel like if nintendo had any sense theyd revamp that series and go in a new direction even if ti means "borrowing" from other sources it could only help them at this point. but thats just for me i know many people who love zelda games are happy getting servied meatloaf every time.

zelda has the bigger stamp on history but both games have inspired clones much like gta.

Yes these two series should never be compared, however, it's a no contest. A huge, resounding win for Zelda in both categories. Is the GoW series good? Yes.(great, even at times) But it'll never ever reach the legendary(no pun intended) status that Zelda has both reached and earned.

I sense a little hate for the recent Zelda games. I haven't played the hand-held stuff but I loved Twilight Princess & Wind Waker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some sense of nostalgia from Zelda but not enough. It started to wear off with Twilight Princess a few hours in and yeah, snooze fest.

I liked Okami a lot more but I didn't play all of that either. Just not my type of games I guess.

[quote name='Rodimus']I sense a little hate for the recent Zelda games. I haven't played the hand-held stuff but I loved Twilight Princess & Wind Waker.[/QUOTE]

Phantom Hourglass was great, maybe one of my top 5 hand-held games ever. Spirit Tracks I have yet to finish but it seems to me to not be quite as good.

I think that Mario Bros is much better than GoW, but Resident Evil is better than Mario Bros but not better than GoW which is better than Pokemon but not Zelda

[quote name='Mixer236']Phantom Hourglass was great, maybe one of my top 5 hand-held games ever. Spirit Tracks I have yet to finish but it seems to me to not be quite as good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the train in Spirit Tracks is just so boring. I finished it, but it was definitely my least favorite Zelda.

Now that people are mentioning RE and Mario, etc... it seems to me that a lot of the once great franchises have really started to fall off this gen for me and it all has to do with controls.. RE5 desperately needed to ditch the tank controls and I'm too turned off by motion controls to enjoy any new Zelda or Mario despite anyone elses testimony or sales figures.

[quote name='QiG']Now that people are mentioning RE and Mario, etc... it seems to me that a lot of the once great franchises have really started to fall off this gen for me and it all has to do with controls.. RE5 desperately needed to ditch the tank controls and I'm too turned off by motion controls to enjoy any new Zelda or Mario despite anyone elses testimony or sales figures.[/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with RE5's controls, the developers just lost all sense of creativity with the encounters. Everything about the game was awful, the co-op made it playable, but that was about it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']There is nothing wrong with RE5's controls, the developers just lost all sense of creativity with the encounters. Everything about the game was awful, the co-op made it playable, but that was about it.[/QUOTE]

co-op was the major plus of re5 considering how man re games have had stories set around 2 people going through the experience together it was long overdue but its sad they wasted it on that game. re5 was boring and the story was throwaway.

id love to see them do updates of re 1 ,2 and 3 and add in co-op that would be cool or maybe so another group re game like they did with the 2 online re games on ps2. sucks they dropped the original story though.

[quote name='lokizz']co-op was the major plus of re5 considering how man re games have had stories set around 2 people going through the experience together it was long overdue but its sad they wasted it on that game. re5 was boring and the story was throwaway.

id love to see them do updates of re 1 ,2 and 3 and add in co-op that would be cool or maybe so another group re game like they did with the 2 online re games on ps2. sucks they dropped the original story though.[/QUOTE]

You say that as if the Resident Evil series has ever had a good storyline. :lol:

The series has always had a great atmosphere though up until 5. And that was one of the main things that was missing. I think the co-op actually took away from some of the creepiness because you never felt like you were alone. The game wasn't really trying to be too much of a horror game anyway, so the co-op at least made it a more fun action game.

I would love an update of the older RE games though (ie anything pre-RE4) with the over the shoulder camera added instead of those horrible tank controls with a fixed camera.

[quote name='ihadFG']You say that as if the Resident Evil series has ever had a good storyline. :lol:

The series has always had a great atmosphere though up until 5. And that was one of the main things that was missing. I think the co-op actually took away from some of the creepiness because you never felt like you were alone. The game wasn't really trying to be too much of a horror game anyway, so the co-op at least made it a more fun action game.

I would love an update of the older RE games though (ie anything pre-RE4) with the over the shoulder camera added instead of those horrible tank controls with a fixed camera.[/QUOTE]

i liked the plot from 1 up to code veronica and it sucks well never know what happened as far as seeing the big showdown against umbrella corp. but as its own story re4 was great too. i can see what you mean when it comes to 5 not being that creepy it was just a game to play with no real scares i just hope they go back to zombies soon or that someone out there will come out with a really scary zombie game with co-op.

Oh here we go. Zelda by far has had the biggest impact on gaming. I personally thinkg a $100million Zelda game would destroy a $100million GoW. The fact of the matter is the Zelda series had taken a huge back step since Windwaker. Majora's Mask (my personal favorite) was last GREAAATTT game in the series.

I'd probably have to answer "Zelda" to all of your questions, but I am afraid the next Zelda won't be as influential to the game industry as the past titles have been. Personally, I'm not very excited about the next Zelda (Skyward Sword), so if you were to ask if there were a new God of War and a new Zelda coming out at the same time, and I could only choose one, I'd probably go with God of War.

[quote name='jh6269']I'd probably have to answer "Zelda" to all of your questions, but I am afraid the next Zelda won't be as influential to the game industry as the past titles have been. Personally, I'm not very excited about the next Zelda (Skyward Sword), so if you were to ask if there were a new God of War and a new Zelda coming out at the same time, and I could only choose one, I'd probably go with God of War.[/QUOTE]
True. Well, we can only hope for the next Zelda. On Nintendo's next console. Zelda+Crysis graphics=awesome.

[quote name='Linkgx1']True. Well, we can only hope for the next Zelda. On Nintendo's next console. Zelda+Crysis graphics=awesome.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really liked Twilight Princess, and at the time, the graphics looked amazing. So, I can't wait to see what it's going to be like in HD. I was really hoping that Nintendo would just reuse the same Twilight Princess engine, or tweak it a bit and give us a new game.

Comparing these two games are like apples and oranges. (Yeah, I just used a cliche term.) I get a certain feeling when I'm playing a Zelda game vs. when I play a God of War game. For some reason Zelda has an innocence to it even though you are attacking many things, whereas God of War is just really beating the shit out of everything but has a great story! Both have great gameplay though.

[quote name='jh6269']Yeah, I really liked Twilight Princess, and at the time, the graphics looked amazing. So, I can't wait to see what it's going to be like in HD. I was really hoping that Nintendo would just reuse the same Twilight Princess engine, or tweak it a bit and give us a new game.[/QUOTE]
Give me a Majora's Mask Remake/Sequel on the 3ds or Wii HD and I'm happy for the next decade!:D

[quote name='Linkgx1']Give me a Majora's Mask Remake/Sequel on the 3ds or Wii HD and I'm happy for the next decade!:D[/QUOTE]

I loved Majora's Mask as well, but I got the Zelda collector's edition (the unreleased one with the 4 games on one GCN disc), so I think I'm ready for a sequel rather than a remake.

God of War games are like Die Hard films. They're good, and a ton of people have enjoyed them, but the experience is ultimately a shallow one.

Zelda games on the other hand (barring a select few) are like The Shawshank Redemption. They're not just good, they're iconic, examples of what the medium is capable of, with many still trying to recapture what made it so great.

That's just my $0.02

[quote name='Girdot']God of War games are like Die Hard films. They're good, and a ton of people have enjoyed them, but the experience is ultimately a shallow one.

Zelda games on the other hand (barring a select few) are like The Shawshank Redemption. They're not just good, they're iconic, examples of what the medium is capable of, with many still trying to recapture what made it so great.

That's just my $0.02[/QUOTE]

I know I'm playing Devils Advocate here, but besides the original Legend of Zelda on NES and Ocarina of Time on the 64, which games in the series have iconic status? Any of the top-down sequels on GB, GBA or SNES have followed the exact same formula and gameplay until OoT came out, and then any of those after that were OoT dressed up differently.

I bring it up because I know the argument is that God of War is just rehashed with prettier graphics and I feel like the same can be applied to Zelda for the past 15 years. Bottom line is I love them both and they both accomplish what they set out to do rather well and significantly better than the competition trying to clone them. More of the same is fine with me because they execute it so well, but I'll argue that the Zelda team has been riding the same wave for about 15 years now without revolutionizing it whereas God of War has only been at it for about 5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='QiG']I know I'm playing Devils Advocate here, but besides the original Legend of Zelda on NES and Ocarina of Time on the 64, which games in the series have iconic status? Any of the top-down sequels on GB, GBA or SNES have followed the exact same formula and gameplay until OoT came out, and then any of those after that were OoT dressed up differently.

I bring it up because I know the argument is that God of War is just rehashed with prettier graphics and I feel like the same can be applied to Zelda for the past 15 years. Bottom line is I love them both and they both accomplish what they set out to do rather well and significantly better than the competition trying to clone them. More of the same is fine with me because they execute it so well, but I'll argue that the Zelda team has been riding the same wave for about 15 years now without revolutionizing it whereas God of War has only been at it for about 5 years.[/QUOTE]

Well, one thing to be said is the Zelda games are practically all the same story (except for the spin-offs), but God of War is a continuous story. Each title contributes to an overarching story... At least in my opinion, the only Zelda games that were really ground breaking were the original, A Link to the Past on the SNES, and Ocarina of Time, WindWaker, and Twilight Princess (it changed the whole look and feel of the series). But God of War continues to impress. I know the 3rd one was too short, but the graphics were truly spectacular.

Problem is most people probably wouldn't consider a hack-n-slash game as a legendary part of the gaming industry. That's why you have to separate things into genres when you compare them.

It's like asking people whether The Godfather was better than Anchorman. You just can't...do that.

Anyways, I think the traditional GoW is dead. If they bring it back, there will be a big spin on the battle mechanics which would be most welcome.

[quote name='QiG']I know I'm playing Devils Advocate here, but besides the original Legend of Zelda on NES and Ocarina of Time on the 64, which games in the series have iconic status? Any of the top-down sequels on GB, GBA or SNES have followed the exact same formula and gameplay until OoT came out, and then any of those after that were OoT dressed up differently.

I bring it up because I know the argument is that God of War is just rehashed with prettier graphics and I feel like the same can be applied to Zelda for the past 15 years. Bottom line is I love them both and they both accomplish what they set out to do rather well and significantly better than the competition trying to clone them. More of the same is fine with me because they execute it so well, but I'll argue that the Zelda team has been riding the same wave for about 15 years now without revolutionizing it whereas God of War has only been at it for about 5 years.[/QUOTE] ummmm so your saying majoras mask didn't change anything in the zelda series?

[quote name='jh6269']Well, one thing to be said is the Zelda games are practically all the same story (except for the spin-offs), but God of War is a continuous story. Each title contributes to an overarching story... At least in my opinion, the only Zelda games that were really ground breaking were the original, A Link to the Past on the SNES, and Ocarina of Time, WindWaker, and Twilight Princess (it changed the whole look and feel of the series). But God of War continues to impress. I know the 3rd one was too short, but the graphics were truly spectacular.[/QUOTE]

Have you not played? Majoras mask? Probaly the most unique 3d zelda game ever

[quote name='QiG']I know I'm playing Devils Advocate here, but besides the original Legend of Zelda on NES and Ocarina of Time on the 64, which games in the series have iconic status? Any of the top-down sequels on GB, GBA or SNES have followed the exact same formula and gameplay until OoT came out, and then any of those after that were OoT dressed upb differently.

I bring it up because I know the argument is that God of War is just rehashed with prettier graphics and I feel like the same can be applied to Zelda for the past 15 years. Bottom line is I love them both and they both accomplish what they set out to do rather well and significantly better than the competition trying to clone them. More of the same is fine with me because they execute it so well, but I'll argue that the Zelda team has been riding the same wave for about 15 years now without revolutionizing it whereas God of War has only been at it for about 5 years.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree with you that lately there hasn't been much innovation in the Zelda series. But the difference between it and God of War is this: from the get-go, God of War had a niche that it fit into. It didn't invent the hack-n-slash genre, it just contributed to it. Zelda, on the other-hand, bored it's own niche, 3 times in fact. Once with The Legend of Zelda, once with A Link to the Past, and finally with Ocarina of Time.

I'll agree that both series have grown quite stale, though.

I can hardly call Twilight Princess stale, it kick some serious ass. God of War 3.... it just felt like an angry, irrational man who is into alpha male complex. Like it or not everything bad that happen to Kratos in game is that he brought it upon himself.

[quote name='Linkgx1']Have you not played? Majoras mask? Probaly the most unique 3d zelda game ever[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I loved MM. That's why I clarified "except for the spin-offs."

gow was cool but they killed it with gow3 that story was complete shit and basically was kind of an fu imo to everyone who follwed it for the first 2 games.

God of War or Zelda... Hmmm...

tumblr_leftf3AANy1qf8yek.gif

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Why do you consider Majora's Mask to be a spin-off?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess I couldn't think of a better term for it. It didn't seem to be to be part of the traditional Zelda series... There are the main Zelda series that have the same exact story (i.e., Gannon, Princess Zelda, Triforce, etc.) Then you have the other titles that are completely different Minish Cap, Majora's Mask, etc. I don't know a good term to use for these other ones.

bread's done
Back