God of War Widescreen Issue

facemeat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Ok, so yesterday I picked up a copy of God of War and some component cables for my PS2. I'm playing God of War right now, and am having a problem with the widescreen setting; it's not widescreen. All it's doing is cutting off the top and bottom part of the screen. Is this normal? It's not really that big of a deal, but it kinda irks me that it says "Widescreen", but in reality isn't anywhere close to widescreen.

it's probably non-anamorphic and doesn't "stretch" to fill your wide screen mon/tv. just use the zoom features on your tv. it won't look very good though.

[quote name='jarvis307']it's probably non-anamorphic and doesn't "stretch" to fill your wide screen mon/tv. just use the zoom features on your tv. it won't look very good though.[/quote]
I found out, from another site, that it is actually supposed to be like this. It's kind of annoying that SDTV owners actually get to see more of the screen than HDTV owners, but I guess it's a fair trade-off for the progressive scan.

The first game had the widescreen where it cuts off the image. God of War 2 features TRUE widescreen.

Most PS2 games with "widescreen" do exactly as you describe. They just zoom in and cut off the top and bottom portion of the screen. For example, the Rachet & Clank series does this. I imagine this is done to avoid performance penalties. If they were to simply add the extra rendering to the sides, it would increase the load on the system. By zooming and cropping, the game can maintain the same performance.

This is the reason why I don't bother with widescreen when I play my PS2 on my HDTV. It actually hampers gameplay.

bread's done
Back