GOG.com Holiday sale - 50% off most of catalog

louiedog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
Most of the catalog is 50% off until January 2nd. Prices are not reflected on the search page. You have to click through to a game's individual page to see the sale price.

animalspinners already summed up the sale nicely, so I'll just copy his text from below to make it more visible.

"Everything is on sale except for games by Codemasters and Piranha Bytes (the three Gothic games), so like 8 games total out of 300+. Even the newest releases, like Ultima 7, are on sale.

The Activision stuff is only on sale until December 26th.

Other than that, everything is a straight 50% off until January 2nd. awesome sale."

Thanks, animalspinners.

GOG.com Holiday Sale

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bhk']Recommendations? The only game I've ever bought from GOG was XIII....[/QUOTE]

Do you really love shooters?

I use GOG for old school classic shooters. Last year I got Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem, and Blood 1 and 2.

This year I'm mainly looking at the two Blake Stone games.

[quote name='bhk']Recommendations? The only game I've ever bought from GOG was XIII....[/QUOTE]
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
Arcanum
Neverwinter Nights Diamond
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Divine Divinity
Dark Reign
Septerra Core

Duke Nukem 3D
Duke Nukem Manhattan Project
Far Cry
Unreal Gold
Painkiller Black
Serious Sam First Encounter
Serious Sam Second Encounter
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
Blood
Blood 2
Redneck Rampage
Postal 2
MDK
Planescape Torment
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Divine Divinity
Beyond Divinity
Ultima VII
Ultima Underworld 1+2
Baldur's Gate
Arcanum
Rayman
Rayman 2
Rayman 3
Giants:Citizen Kabuto
The Longest Journey
Beneath a Steel Sky(free)
Freespace 2
Sacrifce
Beyond Good and Evil
Baldur's Gate 2
Sanitarium
Unreal Tournament

If you like Civ style games then Alpha Centauri is pretty much amazing. If you like adventure games, Syberia is a pretty strong series and as its normally $9.99, may make better use of the 50% off than some of the cheaper titles.

Has anyone been having issues checking out? Ive been trying to use Paypal, but it keeps just refreshing the page. Ive tried IE, FF and Chrome along with turning off my ad blocker, but Ive had no luck yet. I sent them a support Q, but was hoping someone might have a ready work around.

Also, even if you buy nothing, I would recommend signing up. I think I average a free game a year, to the point that I have more free games in my collection than paid.

Edit: I got Paypal to work. I just had to clear my cookies in Firefox, though switching to Incognito mode in Chrome might also do the trick without losing the rest of your history and cookies.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tominater12']Should I get Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 or 2. Also is Myst worth it?[/QUOTE]

I used to own Myst and just picked up the Masterpiece edition. I think its easily worth the $2.99. The question for you may be which Myst to get. RealMyst is more recommended now, but only if you don't plan on continuing with the series as the change in mechanics can be pretty jarring. I think Myst has been a bit cheaper on Steam, but only by about $.50 and the GOG versions don't have the DRM that Steam has.

I'm tempted by Myst and Riven, just not sure I can get in the mindset for those games again, I haven't played them since my childhood where sitting for hours trying to figure out a puzzle was the best of times

[quote name='tominater12']Should I get Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 or 2. Also is Myst worth it?[/QUOTE]
RCT2 has a pretty good base game, a great User Created Expansion set, and two crappy expansions made by an outside development studio. You can ignore the two expansions and enjoy the improved gameplay and (sometimes) better scenarios. In addition, RCT1 scenarios have been remade for RCT2.

RCT1 has a worse UI and slightly more gameplay limitations.

shoot get both, im going to get 1 and 2 just to have digital copies, then giving the cd's I already have over to my nephew, well worth the 7.50 :)

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']I'm looking for some good FMV games! So far I've got Wing Commander 3. Need some more CAGs![/QUOTE]

Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive.

I added quite a few games to my wishlist for the nostalgia purposes. I might get them because I have some fond memories of the oldies.

Anyone else unable to checkout? I enter my credit card info, hit process order and just get sent back to the checkout screen. No error, no confirmation email, or anything.

[quote name='hyukevain']Anyone else unable to checkout? I enter my credit card info, hit process order and just get sent back to the checkout screen. No error, no confirmation email, or anything.[/QUOTE]

Same thing is happening for me did they charge your card for it?

My card wasnt charged when something similar happened to me earlier. As I mentioned in my post about Paypal, try clearing your cookies or using Chrome's Incognito mode and checkout again.

Just tried to order Fallout 1 (which I, for reasons unknown to me, have never played) and my debit card kept getting declined. I know I have enough in my account and I have ordered with GOG before using that card so I don't know what the problem is. Ended up having to use my credit card which went through on the first try.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']My card wasnt charged when something similar happened to me earlier. As I mentioned in my post about Paypal, try clearing your cookies or using Chrome's Incognito mode and checkout again.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, deleting my cookies seems to have fixed the issue!

[quote name='Thrakker']Would also recommend Gabriel Knight 2 and for cheesy horror, the Phantasmogoria games.[/QUOTE]

I would consider Gabriel Knight 2 the best of the FMV genre. Phantamogoria is kind of stupid but I liked it.

Finally created a gog.com account just for Empire Earth and was pleasantly presented with all the free games already in my collection. Most I don't care about but Beneath a Steel Sky seems to be the gem. May have to grab Freespace 2, The Witcher, and/or Fahrenheit. I just wish the Tex Murphy games were just a little cheaper.

Thanks OP. I had repurchased The Witcher 1 and 2 from them earlier in the week when The Witcher 1 was free with the purchase of The Witcher 2. I already bought the physical copies of these games, but the absence of DRM and great price sealed the deal for me.

I wish I had waited on Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, but got the discount on Fallout 1 and 2 from this sale. The fact that these are guaranteed to work on modern PC's and considered by some to be better written than the two modern entries gave me the impetus to check them out.

I'm on the fence about Arcanum. I was one of the 10 people who bought Arx Fatalis for the orignal Xbox and recommend it to anyone who likes Ultima Underworld or the Elder Scrolls games. I wish it had sold better as to warrant a sequel as the gameworld was fascinating to me.

For those of you having problems with transactions...the site is based in Europe and your CC might not be allowing you to do an international transaction. I'm having the same problem and I want fucking Arcanum. It is on sale for 2.99!!!! Sale price doesn't show up in search...it is showing on the game's actual page!

Actually, I am in Europe right now. Currently I have to use a special vpn to get around the problem ordering a game.

I have heard that the first Fallout I and II are much different as one is more deeper and different from the other future Fallout games.

Alas...my bank apparently keeps a close eye on these international transactions. I just had an automated call asking if I attempted to make purchases in Cyprus. Of course I wasn't talking to a live operator so I couldn't say, "Gimme my Arcanum biotches!"

Probably a longshot but anyone willing to gift a couple of GoGs for a $5 amazon credit (game downloads) or a $9 off amazon Kingdoms of Amalur preorder code? Looking for a $3 and $5 game respectively.

Checkout didn't work last night, but worked fine this morning. Didn't have to clear cookies or cache or anything. Waiting for Credit Card automated fraud alert message too. They have called me like 5 times this holiday shopping season, mostly due to mass 10 cent Android App purchases though :)

Bummer, Perimeter is not on sale, still 9.99! This has some great multi - i bought 4 copies of the cd, would have bought a copy at 4.99 just to add to my gog collection.

Bump for these final hours.

If you haven't grabbed classics like Fallout, Alpha Centauri, Descent 1+2, Myst, Total Annihilation, etc. for a measly $2.99, DO IT NOW.

...and don't forget gems like Outcast, Septerra Core, Enclave, The Feeble Files...

There's simple too much gaming goodness to mention.

I just noticed this today.. the free Broken Sword I ordered a few months ago was removed from my library. Anyone else experience the same? I contacted their support, so I guess I'll see what happens..

[quote name='sunghost']I just noticed this today.. the free Broken Sword I ordered a few months ago was removed from my library. Anyone else experience the same? I contacted their support, so I guess I'll see what happens..[/QUOTE]

That's weird. Mine is still there.

[quote name='louiedog']Just a reminder that you only have a few more hours to get Empire Earth for free.[/QUOTE]

It shows $2.99 how do you get it for free?
thanks

[quote name='xspeedracerx']That's weird. Mine is still there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm positive I ordered it, and I know it wasn't ordered on a different account. I checked my inbox and I still have the email for the order confirmation, took a screenshot of it and sent it into support (along with the order number and everything) so hopefully I'll get it added back. No idea how good GOG's support is, never had to use them. I'll probably hold off on buying anything until this is resolved though, no way would I order anything with the risk of it being removed from my account again.

[quote name='just joe']It shows $2.99 how do you get it for free?
thanks[/QUOTE]

Look at his post date.. That deal is long since over with.

Picked up Broken Sword 4(already had the first 3) and Tex Murphy Under a Killing moon since I'd heard such great things about it but never had gotten around to playing the series. I love GOG :)

I was pretty disappointed to see that Dungeon Keeper 2 apparently has issues with Win 7.

After how disappointing Dungeons was, I was really looking forward to DK2.

[quote name='Corpekata']Anyone know exactly when this ends?[/QUOTE]

Good question, too bad GOG isn't very good about making such things crystal clear. It says "only until January 2" which of course could mean any damn time now given that in some time zones it is indeed January 2. I'd say bite right now.

GoG is pretty good at ending sales promptly, so if there's something you want, get it now.

I was planning on picking up a few games from this sale (AoW1, 2, and SM, Raptor, HOMM3, GC2) but after looking at my backlog, I really don't see myself needing any more games any time soon. Therefore, I'm putting off the purchase until GoG's next year end sale in about a year. Sorry GoG, financial responsibility won this time around.

They just tweeted 10 mins ago that there's 20 hours left. So that means I get to go to bed and sleep on my last few purchases.

I figured I might as well pick up Ultima 7 and Underworld since EA games rarely go on sale on GoG.

My other pickups were The Last Express and Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father

bread's done
Back