GOG.com just closed down - Publicity Stunt - Close Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
as I posted in the main thread

son of a fucking whore

there were still quite a few games I wanted to buy from them...

you'd think they could have at least given some warning, hell they even added some games last week and had another sale and then bam are just gone?

jesus, how sad, guess no one really bought from them. I did when I first heard about it, but it just seems like Steam was more accessible and tried to do so much more. GOG never really hit sub $3 price points for sales, which is probably why many people didn't buy..

so do we still have time to download any games EXE files? or are they gone gone?? Luckily I always tried to save the files to an external HDD

[quote name='token2k6']jesus, how sad, guess no one really bought from them. I did when I first heard about it, but it just seems like Steam was more accessible and tried to do so much more. GOG never really hit sub $3 price points for sales, which is probably why many people didn't buy..

so do we still have time to download any games EXE files? or are they gone gone?? Luckily I always tried to save the files to an external HDD[/QUOTE]

The entire site is gone, so you can't download anything. They say a "technical solution" is coming this week that will let us redownload our games. I'll believe it when I see it.

The reason I bought from GOG is that some of their games were available nowhere else - HOMM 1 through 4 being the prime examples. Master of Magic is another (that I didn't get to purchase).

Hopefully this stuff will be available elsewhere, and some company (Steam? Impulse?) is going to work with GOG to let us have our games there somehow.

[quote name='token2k6']so do we still have time to download any games EXE files? or are they gone gone?? Luckily I always tried to save the files to an external HDD[/QUOTE]

From the OP

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

So if you haven't downloaded your games or want to re-download them, you'll get a chance later.

This is too bad, I really enjoyed getting the Gabriel Knight games and some of the other old Sierra games from them and showing my wife what we played back in the "olden" days, well the days slightly after we escaped from monochrome graphics anyways.

Now to check to see if I have all of the install files stored separately, might as well burn them to a dvd now.

This news makes me sad. Really, I only bought FO1 and 2. But I loved the idea of GOG so much that I desperately wanted them to have other games I would buy. But now I'm angry that I reinstalled Windows and can't download it right now. Dangit.

In for 10!

Seriously that sucks, especially no warning. I recently got a couple games off of gog that I hadn't even downloaded yet. Hope they put their download system up soon.

Wow, that really sucks. I'm glad I downloaded most everything I had bought although I had a few more recent purchases that I didn't get around to downloading... :/

The thing is you really DO own what you bought, but it was up to you to have backups in case this happened. Imagine if Steam shut down tomorrow, you'd have no real recourse...

I wish their model had worked, though, this sucks.

[quote name='animalspinners']Many people always said in the GOG thread's and elsewhere that you "really own the games you get from GOG, because they are DRM free"... well, guess what, I guess you don't because there is currently no way to redownload them.[/QUOTE]

Its customers should have had the foresight to keep a local copy of the installers, knowing that the service would not be around forever. One of the whole points of buying DRM-free games is that your ability to install them outlives the distribution service, so long as you had the aforementioned foresight.

That said, taking down the site with no advance notice was extremely unprofessional. The proper approach would have been to send out an e-mail to all customers and leave the site up for at least a month so that games could be re-downloaded. Taking down the site immediately and leaving customers in the lurch while a re-download solution is possibly implemented was a dick move.

Let me know when these guys launch another venture so that I can have no part of it.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Yeah, this makes me want to back up everything on Steam right now...[/QUOTE]

Steam is a client based service. If they pull the service, it won't matter if you have the games downloaded.

[quote name='Nesrie']Steam is a client based service. If they pull the service, it won't matter if you have the games downloaded.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you're wrong. Have you ever heard of offline mode?

If they don't provide a way to let us dl our games ...i smell some class action lawsuits heading their way. I always thought of them as a legit cool company, but for them to throw up a sale right before they shut down is shady at best.

[quote name='mike.m']Why is this in the deals thread...[/QUOTE]

Because a great many good deals on old games not found anywhere else was just lost.

[quote name='MrDarkstorm']Because a great many good deals on old games not found anywhere else was just lost.[/QUOTE]

Be that as it may, pretty sure this isn't a specific deal

Shit, I wanted the MDK games from GOG because they supposedly got updated for new operating systems better than the Steam versions.

man you guys are harsh, sure this isn't a 'deal', but the 'deals' thread is also a good place for semi-late breaking news..a lot of us have bought from GOG, it'll get the most recognition here.

The ECA fiasco wasn't a deal, and it became a sticky..

What makes me even sadder is the feeling that as a cheap gamer, I really had a hand in their demise.
I totally liked what GOG was doing and liked a good portion of the lineup, but I never bought anything unless it was on sale. I just feel like if half of their customers were like me, they probably lost a huge chunk of revenue that would have otherwise kept the site going.

[quote name='mike.m']Be that as it may, pretty sure this isn't a specific deal[/QUOTE]

Many people on this site utilized the various deals on GOG.com (at least one weekend special for two years) and have the right to know that they may forever lose the chance to download anything they've bought from the website.

A mod can move it if they want to, but many people use CAG only for the video game deals and have a right to know if the games they bought are being taken away from them, because the redownload solution probably won't be a permanent one.

Good thing I backed up those installers for Fallout 1 and Duke Nukem 3D. Should have gotten the other fallout games while I could have. Sucks to see it go.

[quote name='Nesrie']Steam is a client based service. If they pull the service, it won't matter if you have the games downloaded.[/QUOTE]
Someone didn't get the memo.

[quote name='token2k6']man you guys are harsh, sure this isn't a 'deal', but the 'deals' thread is also a good place for semi-late breaking news..a lot of us have bought from GOG, it'll get the most recognition here.

The ECA fiasco wasn't a deal, and it became a sticky..[/QUOTE]
This should be stickied. I'm sure a lot of people got burned here.

Ha, so DRM killed the publisher this time, not sales. The writings on the wall. . .

Also, this belongs in the PC forum.

That fucking sucks.

Bunch of stuff I was planning on buying once I could afford it....the Dungeon Keepers, Arcanum, Planescape Torment if they had it....

Damnit.

[quote name='buckythekat']apparently this might be a marketing stunt and the technical solution is the fact they're finally leaving beta[/QUOTE]I was just about to post that. If so, then awesome, ....but SOOO not cool.

I guess I'm partly to blame. I have a list of games I wanted to buy, but was hoping for a holiday sale like last year where they would all be on sale. I was probably going to spend between $50 and $100 on that site this holiday. I had bought around 30 games on the site already though. Damn. They should have gave a warning. I would have bought some of them at regular price if I'd known.

[quote name='dallascowboys']Actually, you're wrong. Have you ever heard of offline mode?[/QUOTE]

You're dreaming if you think that tomorrow Steam closes its door, you'll somehow magically have access to those games forever. Keep drinking the kool-aid though.

Wow! I totally did not expect this, since I was still getting emails from them about their products and sales. Very sad news.

However, I have downloaded all the games I bought from them (which weren't many), but I was planning on buying some more games.

If Steam crashed and burned tomorrow, to play many of your games, you would just need to download un-steam protected exes. I don't get why most people don't at least realize this is a very viable option should Steam evaporate.

[quote name='buckythekat']apparently this might be a marketing stunt and the technical solution is the fact they're finally leaving beta[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't think I'd trust the place again if it ended up being a PR stunt.

Who would honestly think that would be a good idea? The messages on twitter and turning the website off, only to say "haha guys, just kidding!"

[quote name='animalspinners']I honestly don't think I'd trust the place again if it ended up being a PR stunt.

Who would honestly think that would be a good idea? The messages on twitter and turning the website off, only to say "haha guys, just kidding!"[/QUOTE]
It's dirty (and SOOOO not cool), but as I think about it, it's an instantly effective way to drive traffic to the site.

I know that if they relaunch, I'm hopping over to GOG immediately and downloading every damned game I've bought from them.

The stunt won't do any good for public perception, however.....

[quote name='choral_music']NeoGAF rumor saying it's a stunt.[/QUOTE]

I'll be honest, I won't support them anymore if it is. Closing the site and making it unable for people to download their installers they purchased, as a PR stunt...that's fucked up.

The wording of the message COULD be a stunt... "whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is", "GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form."

I will say this, IF it's a stunt BUT they return with DRM-free games, I will likely buy again-- but be sure to download and burn to DVD IMMEDIATELY.

[quote name='Sporadic']I'll be honest, I won't support them anymore if it is. Closing the site and making it unable for people to download their installers they purchased, as a PR stunt...that's fucked up.[/QUOTE]

It might seem tasteless to some, but is it any different if they specifically told people the site was going down for a few days while it gets updated to the final build? You still wouldn't be able to get your games for those few days.

I, for one, am hoping this is a marketing ploy. It's gonna piss me off at first if it is, but I love the company too much to stay mad at them forever and really don't want them to close down. And it wouldn't hurt if they offered some kind of mega sale to us as an apology for the joke. :D

Mother Shaq-Fu, I've got a dozen games purchased but not downloaded from GOG.

This can't be a marketing gimmick. It's a terrible idea to enrage your customers with 1) Loss of service and 2) Feelings of being ripped off.

If it's a legitimate closing, I sympathize with the staff. It couldn't have been easy to continue to try to obtain DRM-free content when the other services like Impulse, Steam, etc. have all been adding older content as well.

Actually, they're idiots either way. This is the stupidest marketing gimmick I've ever seen, or they're too dumb to try to sell the website off. The business is easily worth six figures to somebody. I'd even buy it for low six figures (after asking for CAG donations :D). I would also add DRM to my new GOG website to placate the publishers. \\:D/

And this is why I have never and will never buy anything from steam.

Regarding gog, this may in fact be a stunt. The reason I say this is that they used to sell Colin McRae 2005 until the publisher wanted decided they didn't want it on gog anymore. Even so, gog warned the public in advance and allowed re-downloading for like a week before mcrae 2005 went offline. But in this case, they are suddenly shutting everything down w/ no warning. Seems suspicious...but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back