GOG Deals Thread

Since that's a Crystal Dynamics game circa 1996 that Square now owns the rights to just like Pandemonium, it seems odd to me that they put Pandemonium up and all those out Kain/Soul Reaver games that are on GOG on Steam but not Gex. I guess they never did put Pandemonium 2 on Steam either. Weird.

For that matter, the first Legacy of Kain game isn't even on GOG although there definitely was a Windows version because I MysterD'ed it like a bajillion years ago.
I have the original Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen PC from retail, as well.

Problem is - that game just doesn't run on Win XP + above without running an unofficial patch/mod:

http://www.thelostworlds.net/HowTo/Running_Blood_Omen_on_Windows_XP_and_Vista.html

One would think that'd be perfect to put on GOG - since if nobody else would, GOG's team could work their magic to make it work on Win Vista+7+8 in their re-release (like they often do w/ some older games).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the original Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen PC from retail, as well.

Problem is - that game just doesn't run on Win XP + above without running an unofficial patch/mod:

http://www.thelostworlds.net/HowTo/Running_Blood_Omen_on_Windows_XP_and_Vista.html

One would think that'd be perfect to put on GOG - since if nobody else would, GOG's team could work their magic to make it work on Win Vista+7+8 in their re-release (like they often do w/ some older games).
Weird. I wonder why they don't try to get that one working in some official capacity. I might just cave and be a dirty peasant and buy it on PSN if it ever goes on sale there but waiting for a game to go on sale there, especially an old or obscure one, can take forever. I don't feel like paying full price for it, even if that is just $6, since I already own it and it's, uh, somewhere.

Weird. I wonder why they don't try to get that one working in some official capacity. I might just cave and be a dirty peasant and buy it on PSN if it ever goes on sale there but waiting for a game to go on sale there, especially an old or obscure one, can take forever. I don't feel like paying full price for it, even if that is just $6, since I already own it and it's, uh, somewhere.
Yeah - if I was you, I'd just try and get your old retail copy working + mod it, if possible.

I've never played any of the LoK games (except a small bit of Defiance), even though I have most of them.

I really should give them a shot, though.

Honestly I don't know where the hell it is. It's probably long since lost and in a dump somewhere or already passed through garage sales of 14 different people. Who knows?

I'm kind of afraid to get it on PSN because some of those old games on there have not aged well when blown up to modern resolutions, even on TV. Chrono Cross is so damned pixelated it's unplayable. And there's no decent filters as far as I can tell.

I guess I can torrent Blood Omen in good conscience since I know I actually did buy the damned thing.

So when GOG says "All prices include VAT if applicable" and it's supposedly One World, One Price then are we basically subsiding those country's taxes and still paying the same price that they are with tax included even though we don't have to pay that tax and it's nothing to do with us?

I mean I get that they are all about being the super hero to angry people from a certain part of the world who hate Steam that are constantly bitching about $1 not equaling 1 of their currency, without taking into consideration that their pricing often also includes their local taxes which people who don't live in their region aren't responsible for, but that's kind of bullshit.

It would be like me insisting that the rest of the world needs to pay an extra 10% on all Steam purchases because I have to pay that due to Washington state sales tax even though everyone outside of Washington state has nothing to do with that tax and is not responsible for it.

At this point, it's probably just best to post the link to Grangar's post on the GOG Insomnia tracking thread in which he/she lists the games that are still remaining.
Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting + finding that link.

One thing, though - I don't see their posts on GOG posting in USD, which is what I seem to be doing. I would guess many of us on CAG likely live probably here in the USA.

Fresh Too:

Two Worlds II: Epic Edition = 85% off @ $2.99

-> Contains Two Worlds 2 (base game) + Pirates of the Flying Fortress expansion + Castle Defense

-> No DRM here in GOG's version.

-> This game is notorious for its homebrew DRM with install limits in all other Non-GOG versions.

You know, I'm not a fan of 3rd party DRM by any stretch but I've installed Two Worlds II on I think 3 different machines and have not run into issues. It does ask you some obnoxiously intrusive questions like your address but you can just put fake info in. It's not like they are going to fly from Germany or Poland or wherever and check.

Honestly, that game's been in bundles enough times that people should just get it that way or try to find someone with extra bundle keys getting rid of it cheap. It's been dirt cheap enough that way that it's really not worth fussing over the DRM at this point.

Ah Two World 2 GOG edition aka the one MysterD always says to go for aka do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, Two Worlds 1 + 2 both have very annoying DRM in non-GOG versions. It never got patched-out of its Steam-version, retail versions, and other Non-GOG versions.

This game's known for issues w/ install limits. It also ties itself to your hardware.

And hardware changes can result in an install loss.

To replenish the limits, if you run out for some reason - you'd have go to the Official Forums; find the Mods in control of reset; and ask for a reset.

More info here:

Official Boards on how to get install-limit resets and who to talk to -> http://board.zuxxez.com/showthread.php?40480-Activation-Questions&

People on Steam w/ issues b/c of this DRM -> http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2637932

Even Securom w/ Online revokes are more forgiving than this.

You know, I'm not a fan of 3rd party DRM by any stretch but I've installed Two Worlds II on I think 3 different machines and have not run into issues. It does ask you some obnoxiously intrusive questions like your address but you can just put fake info in. It's not like they are going to fly from Germany or Poland or wherever and check.

Honestly, that game's been in bundles enough times that people should just get it that way or try to find someone with extra bundle keys getting rid of it cheap. It's been dirt cheap enough that way that it's really not worth fussing over the DRM at this point.
You know, that's also a fair point - if you actually buy actually lots of bundles for namely other games + 2W2 Complete just so happens to be in there (which they often are), you'll likely run into it again. Plus, there's likely someone in the trade forums trying to unload it for $ or trade it.

Hell, I traded to get Two Worlds 1+2 Complete Steam-versions just for the freaking +1's. ;)

If I want to avoid DRM nonsense issues - you know, just boot the game w/out dealing w/ activation concerns + install limits issues - then I'll just boot my GOG-version.

Well like I said I haven't run into any issues with it personally and as MysterD noted if you really did you could always contact the people at the zuxxez board. *shrug* It's a bit of a pain if it came to that but it probably won't and it's cheap enough to get from a bundle (or from someone who got it from a bundle) plus you've got a way out if you really did get stuck by the DRM.

If nothing else and someone is really thinking about buying it right now try asking around. You might even find someone to give you one of their extra bundle keys free. I had a couple of extras that I gave away in the past. Free with DRM is still better than paid DRM free. :p

Well like I said I haven't run into any issues with it personally and as MysterD noted if you really did you could always contact the people at the zuxxez board. *shrug* It's a bit of a pain if it came to that but it probably won't and it's cheap enough to get from a bundle (or from someone who got it from a bundle) plus you've got a way out if you really did get stuck by the DRM.

If nothing else and someone is really thinking about buying it right now try asking around. You might even find someone to give you one of their extra bundle keys free. I had a couple of extras that I gave away in the past. Free with DRM is still better than paid DRM free. :p
Yeah, that's the thing - you'd still have to bother the Zuxxez people to play your game, if somehow you run out of installs. If Zuxxez ever goes away, hopefully they patch the garbage out for Non-GOG version owners...and especially for Steam-version owners (since Steam does a really nice job w/ DRM, when compared to most). Otherwise - gamers that wanna go legit + have no DRM here, they will need the GOG version.

Sure, FREE is always nice. If one can get this game for FREE from someone or even trade it for something you've been trying to unload, I'd say go for it! There's no real shortage of this game out there, since it's been bundled plenty of times.

$3 for a RPG ain't a lot of money, though - if you want to go DRM-FREE.

I don't see why you would need it if it really and truly is 100% DRM free. *shrug*

*Edit: For the MP? I guess it would work. Assuming it requires it and you haven't exceeded the max # of limitations I don't see why it wouldn't. But I can't say for sure one way or the other since I already bought the non Steam boxed (shut up) version a long time ago and then rebought it on Steam, and then got it like twice more with extra bundle Steam keys so I don't really intend to buy it again on GOG of all places.

... wtf?

I tried buying Pier Solar - there's still like 300 copies - and the site says they ran out. I go back to the front page, there's 300+ copies.

Edit: Looks like I'm getting the notification but can still check out. Huh.

I got it too and a bunch of people on the GOG forum said they did also.

I saw a banner message and for a split second I got all excited.

GOG you cock tease.

... wtf?

I tried buying Pier Solar - there's still like 300 copies - and the site says they ran out. I go back to the front page, there's 300+ copies.

Edit: Looks like I'm getting the notification but can still check out. Huh.
I've gotten those notifications several times under similar circumstances. I think they screwed something up when they were making the sale interface.

Thanks to everyone who kept this thread up to date.

This sale really caught me by surprise. I ended up with:

Vampire Masquerade: Redemption
Pier Solar
Jade Empire
Halfway

LSL: Remastered
Grey Matter

Hammerwatch

Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall
Freedom Planet
Astebreed
Ink

I don't see why you would need it if it really and truly is 100% DRM free. *shrug*

*Edit: For the MP? I guess it would work. Assuming it requires it and you haven't exceeded the max # of limitations I don't see why it wouldn't. But I can't say for sure one way or the other since I already bought the non Steam boxed (shut up) version a long time ago and then rebought it on Steam, and then got it like twice more with extra bundle Steam keys so I don't really intend to buy it again on GOG of all places.
If you got Two Worlds 1 or 2 multiple times on Steam, would they give you multiple or different serials?

bleh, they really need to bring back some of the Not So Fresh games.
Yeah, the only attraction left at this point is to see if I can win something. But even with that, I'm only getting a chance every 3-4 hours or so because the games are moving so slowly.

Boooorrring!

Over on the GOG tracking thread, they're debating the pro's & con's of Joss Whedon's output.

Even the fanatics are bored at this point.

I don't even want free Fresh GOG games for fear of upsetting Lord Gaben.
Just keep clicking "buy"; check to see if it's a critical hit for a "FREE" win; then REMOVE it if it ain't.

How do you say "no" to FREE?

You can always re-buy them on Steam when dirt-cheap, if it's also on Steam.

I've been checking and checking but ain't got shit free. It's probably because they know I hate them.
I like GOG and i'm in the same boat. I've checked virtually every game that's run while I was awake and within arm's reach of my computer/phone at least once, and nada.

Of course, I have terrible luck when anything that costs real money is on the line.

Fresh Too:

Aarklash: Legacy = 80% off at $3.99

200 of these.

Fresh:

Mousecraft = 70% off at $4.49.

200 of these.

Considering Broken Age fresh at this point? Well I guess in the aspect that it's still not done and they are still working on it, sure it's fresh. :roll:

Considering Broken Age fresh at this point? Well I guess in the aspect that it's still not done and they are still working on it, sure it's fresh. :roll:
Maybe b/c it's "Fresh"-er than a lot of the really old Good "Old" Games on GoG?

I don't know.

{shrug}

Holy crap, I actually got a freebie--one I wanted, even. I mean, I fully expect Papers Please to show up in another HB (I gilby'd increasing my order amount for HIB12), but it's something... sort of. Ish.

bread's done
Back