GOG Weekend Deal - Sanitarium/Longest Journey - 50% off

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)
546bdd002d5e6394b64d40bb80cab028c39dd1e5.jpg

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/adventure/

Until Monday, March 22 at 11:59 p.m. EDT, you can get two of the most entrancing and surreal adventure games for 50% off. This is NOT a bundle deal, so you can buy one or the other (but why wouldn't you want both?)

Sanitarium $4.99
The Longest Journey $4.99

Sanitarium (82) [Gamespot]
The Longest Journey (91) [Metacritic]

Demos:
Sanitarium
The Longest Journey

Last edited by a moderator:
TLJ is just that however with tons of long dialog... I could never finish it.

Sanitarium on the other hand is excellent, excellent.

[quote name='Snake2715']TLJ is just that however with tons of long dialog... I could never finish it.

Sanitarium on the other hand is excellent, excellent.[/QUOTE]

You're right, that should be mentioned. TLJ is very dialogue-heavy. That's exactly what I wanted when I played it; the characters, story, and writing are great. Still, if you like less talky-talky and more puzzle-solvy, TLJ is not for you.

Sanitarium has something for every adventure fan and can't be missed.

[quote name='bh47']will these work with Windows 7?[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried, but they are listed as Vista compatible. And the general rule of thumb is that if they work with Vista, they work with Win7.

I'm very tempted to get both. Are both pretty lengthy?

With all the praise going around, I think I'm willing to at least pick up TLJ, but I've heard good things about Sanitarium, too, and I'm always looking for even MORE games to pile my back-log up....

[quote name='watcher0']I haven't tried, but they are listed as Vista compatible. And the general rule of thumb is that if they work with Vista, they work with Win7.[/QUOTE]

Their I76 game doesn't work in win 7 or at least didn't the last time I checked. That might be the only exception.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']Their I76 game doesn't work in win 7 or at least didn't the last time I checked. That might be the only exception.[/QUOTE]

I read in another thread today that this site's games do have some compatibility issues with Win7, though it sounds like their forum goers have answers for many of the games. I'm in the midst of transitioning from my old XP box to my new Win7 rig, so I haven't had time to test everything yet.

What half-wit gave Sanitarium an 82? That game is brilliant.
Problem is, and I don't know about the GOG version, but the disc is very...temperamental...oh hell, it's evil bastard hard to get to run. But it's the only game I've ever been willing to completely rejigger every setting on my computer to get to play

The GOG.com version seems to be very compatible with current hardware or even slightly older ones.

I have not had any issues with the game. Their support owns too; so if you have any issues they can help you out.

I've been debating picking up TLJ. Pretty sure I already beat it, or at least got quite far in it, but I'd like to own an a copy. There's a Dreamfall/TLJ two pack on Amazon for $7 though, so I'll probably bite on that. Just not sure if it will work well in Win7

[quote name='Baron O Hell']Their I76 game doesn't work in win 7 or at least didn't the last time I checked. That might be the only exception.[/QUOTE]

It works as well in W7 as Vista, which means it has some bugs.

With all the user hacks, the game is about 95% working with few to any glitches.

These two games are great. Sanitarium has a glitch or two, but generally, it runs well.

I got a question about TLJ. I tried the demo linked in the OP and, the demo is using 95-100% of my CPU power and is constantly locking up and stuttering.

...there is no way TLJ is taking 100% of my dual core 2.26 ghz intel chip. What gives?

Installed the demo & game.exe took about 75% of my quad-core (all that was free). It seems TLJ will take every bit of proc. power to keep framerates up. Since this is no longer necessary and even undesirable considering the heat increase, try changing the process's affinity to just one core. Doing so caused my game.exe to drop to 25% usage (still hammering that one core, though).

This may fix the choppy performance (I didn't suffer from any before, though).
Players here found various setting changes that cured their particular graphical problems.

I still need to compare this to the GOG install.

Longest journey was definitely a good game, I really enjoyed the sequel as well.
they don't have anything on indigo prophecy though.

[quote name='Bawb3']Longest journey was definitely a good game, I really enjoyed the sequel as well.
they don't have anything on indigo prophecy though.[/QUOTE]

WHAT.

Are you sure? Indigo Prophecy went batshit crazy. Longest Journey maintains coherence throughout.

[quote name='cheapo72']Installed the demo & game.exe took about 75% of my quad-core (all that was free). It seems TLJ will take every bit of proc. power to keep framerates up. Since this is no longer necessary and even undesirable considering the heat increase, try changing the process's affinity to just one core. Doing so caused my game.exe to drop to 25% usage (still hammering that one core, though).

This may fix the choppy performance (I didn't suffer from any before, though).
Players here found various setting changes that cured their particular graphical problems.

I still need to compare this to the GOG install.[/QUOTE]
Yeah mine was taking 90-99% of my dual-core (all that was free) and then when it tried to use MORE it's start stuttering. No way a game fro 2000 should be struggling to run on my 2009 Laptop..

I have both games downloaded, but lack the hardddrive space to install them XD

I actually felt TLJ had a pretty meh story, all things considered. Good effort to engage the player, and as long as the novelty of the settings didn't wear off, it was fine, but a lot of the story felt forced to me rather than flowing naturally. It just felt awkward that the lead heroine would so quickly attach herself to creatures and people in this world she basically just entered. Not a bad game, but I could never personally figure out where all the adoration came from.

Still have an original copy of Sanitarium I never installed, though. One of these days I'll get around to it.

bread's done
Back