Gogamer 48 hour sale Half-Life 2 $29.90, Half-Life 2 Collector's $49.90

[quote name='thepityofmrt']You can play Half-Life 2 just fine without going through Steam. Just google for "Steamless".[/quote]

also google for "illegal".

Okay, let me re-phrase that. You can play the single player portion of Half-Life 2 without Steam. Sure it's not what Valve wants you do to, but I don't see anything wrong or immoral with it.

Thanks OP, by the way.

[quote name='magictoilet']dirt isn't $1.99 =P but good price none the less[/quote]

Sometimes dirt is more expensive. It depends on the quantity and the quality. The signs one sees along the road for "Free Dirt" are generally for low grade dirt that one wouldn't want anyway. Plus one has to haul it away one's self. $1.99 for good quality dirt could be a bargain, again, depending on quantity.

This is the full english IMPORT edition. Does anyone know what that means and what the difference is between this and the US version?

What's wrong with Steam? I ask because I just got a new computer with the specs to play this (a Dell XPS) and I've been looking for a deal on the collector's edition of HL2 (I know there have been a lot of other deals, I just didn't have the computer for them yet).

Edit: Also, does buying HL2 give you access to online multiplayer? On Steam's webpage, where it advertises the downloadable package, it says that they include Deathmatch--will I have to pay extra for that if I buy a collector's edition?

[quote name='Run4Fun']What's wrong with Steam? I ask because I just got a new computer with the specs to play this (a Dell XPS) and I've been looking for a deal on the collector's edition of HL2 (I know there have been a lot of other deals, I just didn't have the computer for them yet).

Edit: Also, does buying HL2 give you access to online multiplayer? On Steam's webpage, where it advertises the downloadable package, it says that they include Deathmatch--will I have to pay extra for that if I buy a collector's edition?[/quote]

HL2 Deathmatch is a free download.

Steam is alright in theory, and if it was optional. I don't like Steam because you have to start it to play Half-Life 2, and if you want to play the single player game and it says there's a new patch out, it's downloading it. It doesn't ask you if you want to wait a half an hour to download a patch that just updates multiplayer things or anything, it just says "You're downloading the patch now, no game playing for you".

Not to mention if Steam gets hosed, then you can't play while it's down. It's sort of like all the negative aspects of an MMORPG, without some of the advantages.

And that's just negative things that are assuming Steam is behaving like it should. I'm paranoid and don't really like the fact that a game I'm playing calls home to the developer every time I wanna do something.

Still, for all that, Half-Life 2 looks fun, as do it's mods.

Thanks for the Tribes link, I was looking to pick it up off of ebay, but it seems it'll average out to be the same price either way.

As far as the "import" question goes, I bought the "Asia-Pacific version" off of ebay (from a CAG), and it came in a (big ass old school) box, with the 5 CD's, and a controls reference sheet. No manual. Doesn't bother me one bit, cause it was cheaper than retail, but yeah, I dunno about you. It installed fine, and I'm playing it (Deathmatch is crazy sometimes, by either being real fun, or real choppy).

EDIT: I forgot to ask, since they're located in CA, I assume they charge sales tax for shipping to CA? That'd kinda suck...

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Maybe a stupid question, but are you able to play Half Life 2 on a computer that doesn't have an internet connection?[/quote]

Actually I think the answer is no, steam makes you connect in order to play. That is just what I heard, correct me if I am wrong.

[quote name='Gotchaforce']how do you get dirt shipping?[/quote]

You have to actually register with the site, then it will become an option.

[quote name='msdmoney'][quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Maybe a stupid question, but are you able to play Half Life 2 on a computer that doesn't have an internet connection?[/quote]

Actually I think the answer is no, steam makes you connect in order to play. That is just what I heard, correct me if I am wrong.[/quote]

It was supposed to be that you only had to connect once to verify it, and then you could play single-player offline. Last time I checked though, you still have to connect just to sign in and start playing.

bread's done
Back