Going to Cleveland, Ohio, in two weeks, need suggestions on where to go

Dead of Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
A ripoff of Eric's thread, sure, but I really do need some ideas on places to visit in that area. I'm going there to look at colleges since my dad just got a promotion to work there. We will be moving in about a year when I graduate high school. I was looking through info for Cleveland and I saw there might be a bigass amusement park with a ton of rollercoasters nearby, can anyone give me some info? Also, is there a time difference between Ohio and RI?

I think your speaking of Cedar point. Its in the town of Cedar point ohio. Awsome park!!! i dont exactly know of how far from cleveland it is though.

oh and dont worry about the ripoff. its not like i have the thread copyrighted....yet :)

Edit: Cedar point park is in Sandusky, OH. Its an hour away from Clevland.

i've only been there once, but i think that theme park is called King's Island. Ohio is great for the sports fans (ohio state), white castle burgers, and some of the bars around campus are always packed. :)

EDIT: whoops, just saw the post above me. the other one is called cedar's point :)

Ohio isn't a bad place as long as you live in the right city (which means I'm out of luck). Cleveland has several museums, theatres, and a stadium so there are a lot of things covered there. The shopping is also excellent and there are a few import stores up there too (I forget where, check the phonebook). Overall, if you lived ina big city in RI, don't expect much change or betterment, but if you come from a small area, expect a whole new animal.

Cedar Point is probably the one must see thing in Ohio. It's an absolute blast. I've been there three times and it's an absolute blast. It's located in Sandusky.

www.cedarpoint.com

Canton is home to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. If you're into sports you've got to check that out.

I live in California now but I am a native Clevelander.

The big Amusement Park you are refering to is Cedar Point. Supposely, its one of the best in the country. Thats located in Sandusky, Ohio which is about (I'm going by memory so I could be wrong) 1 and a half hours away driving.

Another thing to check out is the Flats. Its Downtown by the river and thats were all the nightclubs are. If you are in Cleveland Heights, there was a little beatnik area called Coventry. I haven't been there in awhile so it might have changed alot.

Cleveland is in Eastern Standard time.

Thats all I could think of for now..Dont forget the Indians, Browns, Cavs. Its a big sports town

Cedar Point is in Sandusky Ohio... It's close to Toledo I believe.... King's Island is by Cincinnati.

Cedar Point is awesome, especially if you like coasters. Also there's Geagua Lake which is about 40 min. from downtown. It's good, but nowhere near as good as Cedar Point. Overall Cleveland's kind of boring. And downtown isn't great either. The Flats are cool, especially the warehouse district. You should go the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. If you're into shopping, we have a lot of malls here in Cleveland. Beachwood Place is about 25 min. from downtown and if you like shopping, you will love it. Cleveland is a pretty cool place. Hope you have fun

Is the whole state in EST? I need to know since I will be visiting colleges further west of Cleveland also.

I fucking love malls and shopping, so that's good news. I'm so glad to here there's import shops since there have jack shit around here in that department. My mom would love to hear about the Pro Football Hall of Fame since she loves football.

And RI sucks. I'm glad I'll be moving to Cleveland since there certainly seems to be a lot more going on. I live in Cumberland, which is a good sized town- for Rhode Island. There's one public high school and there are 1600 kids in it so I guess you could say it's an average-sized town.

[quote name='Indiana']Cedar Point is in Sandusky Ohio... It's close to Toledo I believe.... King's Island is by Cincinnati.[/quote]

what he said...

And I'd go to CP, it's great fun.

All of Ohio is in EST. Theres a whole chain of import stores called Pier One Imports. And it cheap too.... my mom likes it. My town is probably about the same size as your town. We have 1600 kids in our HS too. And my suburb isn't that boring. We have a lot of stuff. Do you know where you're moving in Ohio?

[quote name='bhfgamer']All of Ohio is in EST. Theres a whole chain of import stores called Pier One Imports. And it cheap too.... my mom likes it. My town is probably about the same size as your town. We have 1600 kids in our HS too. And my suburb isn't that boring. We have a lot of stuff. Do you know where you're moving in Ohio?[/quote]

We have Pier One Imports too, and I like it. I was talking about import games stores though. We don't know the exact town yet but it will be a suburb of Cleveland since my dad will be working there.

Oh... sorry. I don't know of any import stores around here (southern suburbs). But there are probably some downtown. I know lots about the city (cleveland-native) so I could tell you anything you want to know

It's a great town. You'll be old enough soon to enjoy the flats, and of course, the Browns are there! I'm in Columbus myself, but we'll drive the 90 or so minutes up North just to hang out up there, it's a cool town (and down right frigid in winter). Lake Erie's got some high entertainment value as well.

Being a Brown's fan, I get all sorts of great jokes emailed to me during football season, here's a keeper:

The Afghan Quarterback

The coach had put together the perfect team for the Cleveland Browns. The
only thing that was missing was a good quarterback. He had scouted all the
colleges and even the Canadian and European Leagues, but he couldn't find a
ringer who could ensure a Super Bowl win. Then one night while watching CNN
he saw a war-zone scene in Afghanistan. In one corner of the background, he
spotted a young Afghan Muslim soldier with a truly incredible arm. He threw
a hand-grenade straight into a 15th story window 100 yards away.

KABOOM!

He threw another hand-grenade 75 yards away, right into a chimney.
KA-BLOOEY!

Then he threw another at a passing car going 90 mph. BULLS-EYE!

"I've got to get this guy!" Coach said to himself. "He has the perfect arm.

So, he brings him to the States and teaches him the great game of football.

And the Browns go on to win the Super Bowl. The young Afghan is hailed as
the great hero of football, and when the coach asks him what he wants, all
the young man wants is to call his mother.

"Mom," he says into the phone, "I just won the Super Bowl!"

"I don't want to talk to you," the old Muslim woman says. "You deserted us.
You are not my son!"

"I don't think you understand, Mother," the young man pleads. "I've won the
greatest sporting event in the world. I'm here among thousands of my adoring
fans.

"No! Let me tell you!" his mother retorts. "At this very moment, there are
gunshots all around us. The neighborhood is a pile of rubble. Your two
brothers were beaten within an inch of their lives last week, and I have to
keep your sister in the house so she doesn't get raped!"

The old lady pauses, and then tearfully says, "I will never forgive you for
making us move to Cleveland!"

I've never actually been there, but if you like Rock and Roll alot you should enjoy it. My dad loved it and he loves rock and roll too

I live about 1/2 hour from Cleveland. Here's a list.

Cedar Point is in Sandusky, Ohio.. about 30-45 minutes from Cleveland. Voted best amusment park on the planet almost every year.

Geauga Lake is in Aurora.. about 45 minutes from Cleveland. Not a bad amusement park, was a Six Flags until this year. Not up to Cedar Point's standards, but still nice.

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is in downtown Cleveland.
Inventor's Hall of Fame is in Akron, 30 minutes south of C.
Pro Football Hall of Fame is in Canton, 50 minutes south of C.

For partying, the Flats are the storied area.. but the Warehouse district is where its at now.

The Cleveland Philharmonic is annualy voted top 10 worldwide.. if you're into classical, I'd check them out.

Blossom Music Center is in Cuyahoga Falls(i think).. about 30 minute south of C. One of the premier outdoor ampitheatres in the country.

Norwalk Raceway is in Norwalk, maybe 20 minutes south of C. Great dragway, has competition drag races every weekend.

For eating.. let me know where abouts in Cleveland you'll be.

And if you get time to buy some cheap ass games, stop at my store, World Of Games, which is in Geneva-on-the-Lake, a resort town about 40 minutes from Cleveland! (apology for the self promotion :D )

Ok, I thought of more:

There's some suprisingly good wineries in the Cleveland and Sandusky area, always good for a day trip.

Tower City is great shopping, as well as Southpark mall.

If you're into local music (which here is basically rock, new rock, metal and rap/rock) Cleveland is the place to be.. check out Ron's Crossroads, Peabody's, Fuel, Nautica (time to time) and BJ's.

There's Amish Country, which is fun.. but about a 2 hour drive south of C.

For clubbing right now.. Posh, Jannie's, BDubs, the Loft and the Attic are the hot places.. Posh is especially excellent.

[quote name='eshbums']It's a great town. You'll be old enough soon to enjoy the flats, and of course, the Browns are there! I'm in Columbus myself, but we'll drive the 90 or so minutes up North just to hang out up there, it's a cool town (and down right frigid in winter). Lake Erie's got some high entertainment value as well.

Being a Brown's fan, I get all sorts of great jokes emailed to me during football season, here's a keeper:

The Afghan Quarterback

The coach had put together the perfect team for the Cleveland Browns. The
only thing that was missing was a good quarterback. He had scouted all the
colleges and even the Canadian and European Leagues, but he couldn't find a
ringer who could ensure a Super Bowl win. Then one night while watching CNN
he saw a war-zone scene in Afghanistan. In one corner of the background, he
spotted a young Afghan Muslim soldier with a truly incredible arm. He threw
a hand-grenade straight into a 15th story window 100 yards away.

KABOOM!

He threw another hand-grenade 75 yards away, right into a chimney.
KA-BLOOEY!

Then he threw another at a passing car going 90 mph. BULLS-EYE!

"I've got to get this guy!" Coach said to himself. "He has the perfect arm.

So, he brings him to the States and teaches him the great game of football.

And the Browns go on to win the Super Bowl. The young Afghan is hailed as
the great hero of football, and when the coach asks him what he wants, all
the young man wants is to call his mother.

"Mom," he says into the phone, "I just won the Super Bowl!"

"I don't want to talk to you," the old Muslim woman says. "You deserted us.
You are not my son!"

"I don't think you understand, Mother," the young man pleads. "I've won the
greatest sporting event in the world. I'm here among thousands of my adoring
fans.

"No! Let me tell you!" his mother retorts. "At this very moment, there are
gunshots all around us. The neighborhood is a pile of rubble. Your two
brothers were beaten within an inch of their lives last week, and I have to
keep your sister in the house so she doesn't get raped!"

The old lady pauses, and then tearfully says, "I will never forgive you for
making us move to Cleveland!"[/quote]

I heard that Joke before but with the Oakland Raiders as the team. The punchline of the joke is "I will never forgive you for making us move to Oakland". Oakland has worse crime so its more fitting.

BTW- I am a native Clevelander but I do live near Oakland so I know what I am talking about.

Heh, I live in Cleveland :)

What people already mentioned are the most popular parts of Cleveland I suppose. Downtown Cleveland there is also the Terminal Tower, which has a bunch of fast food places and a shopping mall inside.

The best suberbs in Cleveland I feel are Parma(near the shopping mall) and North Olmstead(near the shopping mall)...there are tons of regular store around that area...

If you want to go to a good used video game/CD/DVD store, look for "The Exchange" or "CD/Game Exchange"...

That's about it for now...

There's enough to do in Cleveland. Look at going to school elswhere in Ohio though like Ohio University (if youre into parties), Miami, OSU, Kent.

[quote name='Gamer3:16']Heh, I live in Cleveland :)

If you want to go to a good used video game/CD/DVD store, look for "The Exchange" or "CD/Game Exchange"...

That's about it for now...[/quote]

Are they related to the Record Exchange? They are a bunch of local record shops in that area.

best tip stay out of ohio. I have been here 19 years and am ready to move people are to up tight I need to move to a place like san fran ( I am not gay) or los vegas were people dont care. it seems like here in ohio you can not do anything w/o someone saying something or protesting there is a lot of people from the bible belt here so that explains alot.

I live about an hour away from Cleveland, in Akron. I came back from Blossom music center about a week ago, and it was awesome. You should check that out if you see a band that you like.

All three Cleveland sports teams suck, so beware... Indians, Browns, Cavs.

There's a BB GameRush here baby! PM me and I'll give you directions from your hotel! Also, where is your dad going to be working? Maybe he can pass along my cheapass resume?

[quote name='Blustrk98']There's a BB GameRush here baby! PM me and I'll give you directions from your hotel! Also, where is your dad going to be working? Maybe he can pass along my cheapass resume?[/quote]

fuck yes! There are zero GameRushes here! I'm so glad I'll be moving where there is one. \:D/ My dad works at Citizens Bank in a fairly high position. Dunno if any CAG would want to do something as boring as to work for a bank but...

yea cedar point man i went their last year it has the worlds fastest tallest roller coaster in the world bah gawd.

it looks much much much taller when ur standing their looking at it
420 feet 120 mph pretty sweet

top-thrill-dragster45.jpg

[quote name='Smell']yea cedar point man i went their last year it has the worlds fastest tallest roller coaster in the world bah gawd.

top-thrill-dragster45.jpg
[/quote]
Smell, you met the height requirement to get on the big rides? :wink:

If I remember correctly the Intercont. is pretty much east side.. and that I'm not going to be able to be a big help with.. I spend most of my time on the west side... but....

Quaker Stake - Best wings. Period.
Cici's - If you dont have one of these around.. oh god.. $4 all you can eat pizza.
Danny Boy's - Best pizza outside of Chicago.
Piper III - Bit of a drive, but excellent surf & turf.
Swenson's - You must go here for lunch, trust me. It's a drive-in burger joint.
Rockne's - Dunno if there's one on the east side, but excellent pub style restaurant.
Winking Lizard - Another pub sorta place.
Penn Station - Subs.. puts Quiznos and Subway to shame.
Moonbeams - Another pretty long drive, but awesome burgers.
Key West - Downtown, can't believe I forgot about this at first, it's a must go. Excellent Carribean cuisine (not very cheap-ass though)
Otani's - Great habachi japanese place, excellent food.

I'll edit if I think of more :)

[quote name='Smell']yea cedar point man i went their last year it has the worlds fastest tallest roller coaster in the world bah gawd.

[/quote]

I went to Cedar Point last month. The best advice I can give you is go on a weekday. The lines will be much shorter. We went there on a Tuesday-Wednesday with a two-day pass (~$60 each at the local Meijer) and saw nearly every major ride on the first day. A few of the rides were walk-ons and we never waited for more than an hour and a half (Millenium Force). The Dragster was down for maintenence nearly the whole time we were there, so that's the one main attraction we didn't get to ride.

Looking across the lake on the road coming into the park (Good Overview of the park)
radjago-cedar1.jpg

Looking up at the Dragster from its base.
radjago-dragster1.jpg

And oh yes, Penn Station is the bomb!

I've lived in Cleveland for four years. I work downtown, and have lived on both sides of the city, and know it pretty well. When I was younger (I'm guessing your age) I lived in Sandusky for a few years, home of the vaunted Cedar Point.

It sounds like you're living in relatively small town Rhode Island. Given that (I've lived out that way as well) I'll think you'll have a good time in Cleveland. As most of the prior posts point out, there's a fair amount of museums, restaurants and activities, and even though Cleveland sports time are trying at times, it's always nice to have pro sports. For being a large city, Cleveland is also relatively hastle free. The weather does suck however, but I'm guessing it's not much different from RI.

For your visit, you will enjoy Cedar Point. If you're going to be at the Intercontinental, you'll be in the near east side. The hotel is part of the Cleveland Clinic, and is kind of a litttle palace in the Ghetto. If you've got some time, I'd check out downtown, see a game at the Jake, and walk around. I'd also go hang out at Coventry in Cleveland Heights and get a burrito at Que Tal. For gaming, there's a relatively stellar shop that carries imports about 25 minutes west of town called Flashback (in Amherst). there's a few other shops with imports, and a glut of your usual Gamestops, Game Crazy, GameRrush, etc. Anyway, hope you enjoy it.

Cheers.

[quote name='Dead of Knight'][quote name='Blustrk98']There's a BB GameRush here baby! PM me and I'll give you directions from your hotel! Also, where is your dad going to be working? Maybe he can pass along my cheapass resume?[/quote]

shaq-fu yes! There are zero GameRushes here! I'm so glad I'll be moving where there is one. \:D/ My dad works at Citizens Bank in a fairly high position. Dunno if any CAG would want to do something as boring as to work for a bank but...[/quote]

Job = money = games!
PM me for the directions man, which hotel did you say you were staying at again?

I'm staying at the Intercontinental but I don't think I'm gonna be going to the GameRush anyway so I don't need directions. I have all the games I need right now, but it'll be great when I do move there.

I'm glad that there's a sweet Japanese restaurant, I love Japanese food.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll def go on a weekday to Cedar Point.

Watch out for the cops on the highway. I have driven through Ohio dozens of times going from CT to WI, and the cops are everywhere.

[quote name='BigNick']Watch out for the cops on the highway. I have driven through Ohio dozens of times going from CT to WI, and the cops are everywhere.[/quote]

Indeed. The cost of a radar detector is about the cost of a ticket... hmm.

Bad news if you wanted to go on the Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point. A cable snapped on the ride about two days ago, and it slashed several kids along their chest and face, and they were bleeding all over. So that ride won't be open until they fix it.

I wouldn't go on it anyway. Sure it can be tons of fun, but in it's short time span since opening, that ride has had many malfunctions...

Hope you have fun :)

bread's done
Back