Going to Nyc for 1st tiME!!!! Any Recommendations

guyver2077

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Well i thought i would start this topic early. Im hopefully going to nyc next month and i want to make a list of things that i must see. I might go for 7 days.

I heard its cheaper when you fly from sunday to sunday? Is that true? ALso any good sites to book your trip/hotel on. Ive looked a little on orbitz but havent finalized anything yet.

Only thing i know so far is i might stay at a hotel called the quinta?? Supposedly its pretty nice doesnt have shared bathrooms.

ALL information is welcome!!!!

Manhatten Mall on 34th & 8th, word of advice dont buy electronic's in the city 99% are refurb or just plain damaged. no matter how sweet the deal you'll get shafted in the long run

Check travelzoo.com for sometimes good travel deals, though the limited timing may not be of use.
recommendations? aside from videogames what else do you like?
theres the Nintendo Store in Rockafeller center and then theres museums, pick up Time Out NYC if you can get it the week ahead of time or check out villagevoice.com for other stuff prior to going.

[quote name='Arakias']Check travelzoo.com for sometimes good travel deals, though the limited timing may not be of use.
recommendations? aside from videogames what else do you like?
theres the Nintendo Store in Rockafeller center and then theres museums, pick up Time Out NYC if you can get it the week ahead of time or check out villagevoice.com for other stuff prior to going.[/QUOTE]

awesome...there you go first thing on my list besides the given times square, hammerstein ballroom, madison square garden

The nintendo store

I also have to see the usual landmarks etc...

I have never been to NYC, but I work in the hotel industry, so a few words of advice:

1. Always call hotels direct to get price quotes before you book online. If the difference is minimal, I say book directly. Online wholesalers reservations are done via fax, and mistakes can be made.

2. From first hand experience, any discount rates shown in the system are given the lousier rooms over those who book directly and are paying a higher rate (even if only slightly higher).

3. Wholesale reservations are the first to be bumped in the event that the hotel is oversold.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I see these problems from third-party wholesalers on a daily basis. Comparing rates online is fine, but just make sure you check with the hotel for their rates as well.

List of wholesalers (in the order of which I would recommend them based on the number of problems I see from day to day):

1. Hotels.com
2. Expedia/Travelscape (same company)
3. Travelocity (we have had a ton of problems with them "losing" reservations lately, but I am not sure if this is an isolated problem)
4. Orbitz

Those are all the most common wholesalers, but all fall under the same 3 things on the list I mentioned before.

[quote name='Diiz']I have never been to NYC, but I work in the hotel industry, so a few words of advice:

1. Always call hotels direct to get price quotes before you book online. If the difference is minimal, I say book directly. Online wholesalers reservations are done via fax, and mistakes can be made.

2. From first hand experience, any discount rates shown in the system are given the lousier rooms over those who book directly and are paying a higher rate (even if only slightly higher).

3. Wholesale reservations are the first to be bumped in the event that the hotel is oversold.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I see these problems from third-party wholesalers on a daily basis. Comparing rates online is fine, but just make sure you check with the hotel for their rates as well.

List of wholesalers (in the order of which I would recommend them based on the number of problems I see from day to day):

1. Hotels.com
2. Expedia/Travelscape (same company)
3. Travelocity (we have had a ton of problems with them "losing" reservations lately, but I am not sure if this is an isolated problem)
4. Orbitz

Those are all the most common wholesalers, but all fall under the same 3 things on the list I mentioned before.[/QUOTE]

thanks alot. appreciate it

The grand hyatt hotel seems nice...... i like how hotels.com has virtual cameras etc
agent.dll

well, the real question is, are you going to be in nyc to enjoy the hotels or to enjoy the stuff around town (and also, there are some CAGs that might recommend different things depending on your age.

Go to a restaurant called the "Garage" in "the Village"...Seriously, it is pretty good! If you are homophobic, though, you may want to steer clear.

BTW, if anyone is wondering, I'm not gay.

jeug

my advice is to be VERY careful when crossing the street...no matter how safe it seems to be and no matter if you have the right away or not....while ive never been to nyc, im in baltimore and read the New York Daily News and New York Post almost every day....and almost every day there seems to be a hit and run....you also might want to check out those papers when you get there, just to know where NOT to go....i know i sound "paranoid" and i might be making NYC look worse than it is, but i'm just giving you a heads up

also: if you see 50 cent, holla G G G G G G G G G UNIT!

[quote name='Arakias']well, the real question is, are you going to be in nyc to enjoy the hotels or to enjoy the stuff around town (and also, there are some CAGs that might recommend different things depending on your age.[/QUOTE]

yea i thought about that...so i changed my mind of going for an exagerrated hotel...besides they are too expensive

Get a fanny pack, never put anything in your pockets.
Double-check that the car doors are locked, and never leave anything in a car.
Carry a knife for protection.

Don't drink the water...east coast water sucks. No offense to you guys who live there, but I'm from Oregon, where the water has no shit in it.

[quote name='guyver2077']so whats is scores?[/QUOTE]
Strip joint.

[quote name='guyver2077'] and espn zone?[/QUOTE]
Restaurant and I think some other stuff.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Don't drink the water...east coast water sucks. No offense to you guys who live there, but I'm from Oregon, where the water has no shit in it.[/QUOTE]

I always thought the water from my hometown was bad. It's great water.

Water all around Mass tastes gross, it's from Quabin, one would think it would take good, but nope.

The south is so bad, you better just drink the ocean water. It hurts your eyes. I had to buy bottle water and that was still bad.

I'm at my boyfriends now and the water is shit, I had to bring cool aid to cover the taste.

bread's done
Back