Golden Eye, Gold Controller, T-Shirt $39.99 (wii) Walmart

[quote name='confoosious']That turned out to be a free controller since i played the demo MHT i got from GS.

I think I might end up paying $10 for the gold controller though since i've heard good things about this game. (relatively)[/QUOTE]I know how people regard some reviews, though this one from IGN makes it sound like it's a pretty good game:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/113/1131501p2.html

let me say this much. i have gone through the campaign twice now just because i enjoyed it so much. my backlog is HUGE but i find myself to keep coming back to this game. keep in mind this is wii so there or no achievements to go after either. i just love the game. i really wish there were more wii shooters like it.

[quote name='shrike4242']I know how people regard some reviews, though this one from IGN makes it sound like it's a pretty good game:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/113/1131501p2.html[/QUOTE]

let me say this much. i have gone through the campaign twice now just because i enjoyed it so much. my backlog is HUGE but i find myself to keep coming back to this game. keep in mind this is wii so there are no achievements/trophies im going for or anything. i just love the game. i really wish there were more wii shooters like it.

Looks like in-store is going to be YMMV. I'm at my local WM right now and they still ring up at $69.9x. I told them about the online price and the useless Wal-Martian just said "we don't match the website."

The game is fucking incredible, and that's coming from someone that is bored to tears with FPS games. First of all, the game really feels like a remake of the Goldeneye movie in the new gritty style of the Daniel Craig Bond (and it kind of is, since it was written by the original screenwriter and scored by the guy that does all the Bond movies). It uses Call of Duty as it's gameplay foundation, but makes brilliant tweaks to stay true to the feel of the original game. No jumping (though you can vault over most objects). A slight snap-on-target aim assist when the reticule is pointing close to an enemy and you look down the sight of the gun (which I thought I'd hate, but in practice makes the game feel a lot like the original N64 aiming system and also makes you feel like Bond when you rapidly gun down 5 enemies in 1.5 seconds with precision). Mission-based level objectives that get added in as you increase the difficulty, rather than just running from point A to B like in every other modern FPS. The option of using stealth to get through most of the game instead of the typical FPS run-and-gun. And the multiplayer is somehow more addictive than any other FPS I've played since Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. I think the tight level design (it's never too long before you come in contact with an enemy), no jumping, and overall fast pace (the death animation is 2 seconds, then you're back in the action) go a long way towards replicating the old-school feel. Nowadays you have to wait 15 seconds to respawn in most FPS games, watching annoying replays and camera angles when you'd rather be able to just jump back into the action. And finally, I've got to say that the exclusion of voice chat is a feature for me rather than a drawback. I hate talking to obnoxious strangers on Xbox live about "strategy", I hate hearing their conversations, and I hate the disadvantage I'm always at for not using the headset to coordinate in team games. With Goldeneye, the only sound is of gunfire and footsteps (as it should be IMO).

So in short, if you loved the original N64 game, the Daniel Craig Bond, stealth gameplay, or the way FPS games used to be tight and fast, then buy this immediately. The Gold Classic Controller is badass too. I got it for regular price only a few weeks ago and I'm not in the slightest bit bummed that I missed out on this deal, that's how much fun I've had with the game. The most pure fun I've had with a videogame since Smash Brothers Brawl.

[quote name='SpoDaddy']The game is fucking incredible, and that's coming from someone that is bored to tears with FPS games. First of all, the game really feels like a remake of the Goldeneye movie in the new gritty style of the Daniel Craig Bond (and it kind of is, since it was written by the original screenwriter and scored by the guy that does all the Bond movies). It uses Call of Duty as it's gameplay foundation, but makes brilliant tweaks to stay true to the feel of the original game. No jumping (though you can vault over most objects). A slight snap-on-target aim assist when the reticule is pointing close to an enemy and you look down the sight of the gun (which I thought I'd hate, but in practice makes the game feel a lot like the original N64 aiming system and also makes you feel like Bond when you rapidly gun down 5 enemies in 1.5 seconds with precision). Mission-based level objectives that get added in as you increase the difficulty, rather than just running from point A to B like in every other modern FPS. The option of using stealth to get through most of the game instead of the typical FPS run-and-gun. And the multiplayer is somehow more addictive than any other FPS I've played since Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. I think the tight level design (it's never too long before you come in contact with an enemy), no jumping, and overall fast pace (the death animation is 2 seconds, then you're back in the action) go a long way towards replicating the old-school feel. Nowadays you have to wait 15 seconds to respawn in most FPS games, watching annoying replays and camera angles when you'd rather be able to just jump back into the action. And finally, I've got to say that the exclusion of voice chat is a feature for me rather than a drawback. I hate talking to obnoxious strangers on Xbox live about "strategy", I hate hearing their conversations, and I hate the disadvantage I'm always at for not using the headset to coordinate in team games. With Goldeneye, the only sound is of gunfire and footsteps (as it should be IMO).

So in short, if you loved the original N64 game, the Daniel Craig Bond, stealth gameplay, or the way FPS games used to be tight and fast, then buy this immediately. The Gold Classic Controller is badass too. I got it for regular price only a few weeks ago and I'm not in the slightest bit bummed that I missed out on this deal, that's how much fun I've had with the game. The most pure fun I've had with a videogame since Smash Brothers Brawl.[/QUOTE]

couldnt have said it any better. :applause:

[quote name='SpoDaddy']
The game is fucking incredible, and that's coming from someone that is bored to tears with FPS games. First of all, the game really feels like a remake of the Goldeneye movie in the new gritty style of the Daniel Craig Bond (and it kind of is, since it was written by the original screenwriter and scored by the guy that does all the Bond movies). It uses Call of Duty as it's gameplay foundation, but makes brilliant tweaks to stay true to the feel of the original game. No jumping (though you can vault over most objects). A slight snap-on-target aim assist when the reticule is pointing close to an enemy and you look down the sight of the gun (which I thought I'd hate, but in practice makes the game feel a lot like the original N64 aiming system and also makes you feel like Bond when you rapidly gun down 5 enemies in 1.5 seconds with precision). Mission-based level objectives that get added in as you increase the difficulty, rather than just running from point A to B like in every other modern FPS. The option of using stealth to get through most of the game instead of the typical FPS run-and-gun. And the multiplayer is somehow more addictive than any other FPS I've played since Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. I think the tight level design (it's never too long before you come in contact with an enemy), no jumping, and overall fast pace (the death animation is 2 seconds, then you're back in the action) go a long way towards replicating the old-school feel. Nowadays you have to wait 15 seconds to respawn in most FPS games, watching annoying replays and camera angles when you'd rather be able to just jump back into the action. And finally, I've got to say that the exclusion of voice chat is a feature for me rather than a drawback. I hate talking to obnoxious strangers on Xbox live about "strategy", I hate hearing their conversations, and I hate the disadvantage I'm always at for not using the headset to coordinate in team games. With Goldeneye, the only sound is of gunfire and footsteps (as it should be IMO).

So in short, if you loved the original N64 game, the Daniel Craig Bond, stealth gameplay, or the way FPS games used to be tight and fast, then buy this immediately. The Gold Classic Controller is badass too. I got it for regular price only a few weeks ago and I'm not in the slightest bit bummed that I missed out on this deal, that's how much fun I've had with the game. The most pure fun I've had with a videogame since Smash Brothers Brawl.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks, reading that was enough to push me over the edge!

My only complaints so far with the game are 1) no unlockables for beating single player missions, as far as I can tell, and 2) if the host quits an online game the game ends. I got over the first complaint quickly because the single player is so fun that I don't need incentives to keep replaying it, and as for the second complaint, it's a pain in the ass but I've mitigated it somewhat by sticking with American players only and staying with the same group of players from game-to-game whenever possible. I still get dropped when someone quits sometimes, and it's infuriating when you've unlocked a great gun with a 10-kill streak only to have it wiped out by a quitter, but I can live with it considering that no other FPS is as fun to play online IMO (and the return of split screen multiplayer FPS action is glorious).

[quote name='confoosious']He's not useless if he's right. What do you expect him to do? Change the price?[/QUOTE]

You and I have different definitions of useless.

Yes, a manager should be able do do this. They pricematch their competitors' ads all the time. Not price matching their own web site is ridiculous, given that.

Hells yeah! Thank you, OP! I finally have something to buy with my $20 online-only GC from when I bought Medal of Honor three months ago. :applause::bouncy:

Ordered! :cold:

WTH I went for it, won't see it any cheaper with the controller, hell they have for $10 more without the it. After all the good things I hear, I had a WM gift card.

[quote name='scott_matthews']You and I have different definitions of useless.

Yes, a manager should be able do do this. They pricematch their competitors' ads all the time. Not price matching their own web site is ridiculous, given that.[/QUOTE]

i don't think you fully comprehend the reasoning behind pricematching.

[quote name='confoosious']i don't think you fully comprehend the reasoning behind pricematching.[/QUOTE]

I fully understand the point of price matching a competitor is to save a sale that would have otherwise gone elsewhere.

My point has more to do with the notions of customer service and brand loyalty. If your company is going to sell an item to me for that price anyway, plus have to deal with the logistics and cost of shipping the thing to the store, plus make me come back to the same store to pick it up... then why not save everyone the time, hassle, and negative impact to brand loyalty that comes from just matching the online price right then and there.

My point in bringing up the store's ability and willingness to price match competitors was to point out that they have the ability to change the price and do so frequently.

Hence: Useless.

You pay a price for immediate gratification. They have cheaper prices online for a reason, even if the shipping logistics make it cost more.

If that manager lets you do it one time, you'll do it every time. (Don't even pretend you'd be anything less than feeling entitled to a price match next time.) They're not in the business of dodging all their policies just so it's easier for you.

The policies are there for a reason. The manager / cashier is not the one who creates the policies. You have a problem with it, take it up with corporate. To dismiss someone as useless just because you don't like them upholding company policy makes you useless, not the worker doing his job.

(And this is coming from someone with no love for walmart. But you people with your dismissive attitudes towards retail employees just because you don't get what you want are ridiculous whiny brats. Grow up.)

[quote name='msu89dawgs']Ordered it site-to-store, I'm going to sell the controller, since I already have two of them (not in gold, tho).[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested in the controller at a reasonable price. PM me if so

I got the game only free during one of Gamestops by 2 get 1, been looking on ebay for a gold controller to go with it.

Like others have said I recommend the game as well, very fun. But yeah if the host quits or connection drops during multiplayer the game is over. This happened to me almost every time I tried playing online, frustrating.

Oh one thing that takes getting used to is no rumble, obviously, when playing with a classic controller or wavebird. Just took some getting used to, for me at least, since I like the rumble/knowing I'm getting shot a la Halo, COD, etc. If you play with a wired Gamecube controller or the wiimote and nunchiuck its obviously no issue then

[quote name='confoosious']You pay a price for immediate gratification. They have cheaper prices online for a reason, even if the shipping logistics make it cost more.

If that manager lets you do it one time, you'll do it every time. (Don't even pretend you'd be anything less than feeling entitled to a price match next time.) They're not in the business of dodging all their policies just so it's easier for you.

The policies are there for a reason. The manager / cashier is not the one who creates the policies. You have a problem with it, take it up with corporate. To dismiss someone as useless just because you don't like them upholding company policy makes you useless, not the worker doing his job.

(And this is coming from someone with no love for walmart. But you people with your dismissive attitudes towards retail employees just because you don't get what you want are ridiculous whiny brats. Grow up.)[/QUOTE]

And he as the customer can just as easily walk out of the store and purchase the same item elsewhere. The result is that the Wal-mart manager looses a sale, which equates to corporate loosing a sale. The fact that the sale is lost based on them not being able to match their online price is hilarious. In the end, the customer wins and Wal-Mart looses. Much better for them in the long run to meet the customers demands than adhere to the policy. Don't ever forget that the foundation of our economy is based on the fact that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Oh, he can just walk out and buy it? I'd love to know where since I'm in the market for this item and I would love to have it today instead of waiting a week+ for site to store shipping.

Oh, he can buy it on walmart.com. Hmmm, I wonder why walmart would have a policy that doesn't allow the retail store to match the website. Whatever could their business reasons be... oh my...

Seriously dude, instead of thinking just from your pov, try thinking about it from a business's. Not that I give a shit about walmart but there's no reason for this guy to call a worker useless simply because he doesn't like walmart's policies. That dude is just doing his job. If you think that's cool, then I don't know what to tell you.

Customers aren't always right. But there's no point arguing that with entitled whiny brats.

[quote name='confoosious']If that manager lets you do it one time, you'll do it every time. (Don't even pretend you'd be anything less than feeling entitled to a price match next time.) They're not in the business of dodging all their policies just so it's easier for you.[/QUOTE]

You clearly don't understand the business economics of customer service. The number one job of customer service departments in the retail industry is to keep customers and save sales. One of the first things any MBA student learns is that it costs six to eight times more to make a new customer than to retain an existing customer. This is why so many big retail places cow-tow to "whiney customers," in the long run appeasing them is FAR more economically sound than losing them.

As a business owner myself (and someone who has managed multiple big box customer service departments), I understand that the customer isn't always right. But when something makes business sense all the way around, as a manager you do it (if you have the means to make it happen).

thanks for the laugh.

24sapi.img_assist_custom.jpg

Shit! I just picked this up from best buy. Anyone know if the upc is different on either box? Might order and return it to best buy.

[quote name='confoosious']btw - why does it matter whether the game is in an eco case? just curious.[/QUOTE]

They suck, that's why. They're flimsy and the cover art tends to get damaged because in some places, there's nothing behind it to support it.

It's a pointless product too... there's no reason to punch out big holes to save plastic on a product that is meant for permanent storage, not to be thrown out/recycled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'd been looking forward to picking this up with the controller, this is a good buy price with the controller included.

[quote name='confoosious']Oh, he can just walk out and buy it? I'd love to know where since I'm in the market for this item and I would love to have it today instead of waiting a week+ for site to store shipping.

Oh, he can buy it on walmart.com. Hmmm, I wonder why walmart would have a policy that doesn't allow the retail store to match the website. Whatever could their business reasons be... oh my...

Seriously dude, instead of thinking just from your pov, try thinking about it from a business's. Not that I give a shit about walmart but there's no reason for this guy to call a worker useless simply because he doesn't like walmart's policies. That dude is just doing his job. If you think that's cool, then I don't know what to tell you.

Customers aren't always right. But there's no point arguing that with entitled whiny brats.[/QUOTE]

How about we think about it from the managers point of view, since it's the manager/workers feelings where talking about here. Think of it like this. Someone walks in with an ad for an item that wal-mart.com has for $39.99 and you're the wal-mart store manager selling it for $59.99 at the local store you manage. You're going to follow corporate policy and not give it to them. All of a sudden, they whip out a Target ad that has the same exact item for $39.99, and because corporate policy states that you can price match a competitor but not your own website, you then offer to sell it to them for $39.99. The customer walks out of the store, laughing in your face as he heads over to Target, shaking his head at you for condoning such a policy.

What winds up happening is that you look like a dumb ass and the customer is right as you stand there ashamed of your own stores (wal-mart) policy. So yes, in essence, you are viewed as useless if you don't voice the opinion of your customers to corporate. Despite what the policy states, you as the manager are wrong if you don't pass the word of the customer to the policy makers. As a manager you should use discretion and make the logical correct choice, which would be to sell the item for the $39.99. No way in hell are your superiors going to question your judgment in this case. They are going to applaud the fact that you used good judgment over store policy.

While this may not apply to the item in question (golden eye), the very fact that it has happened with other items simply proves my point that managers who don't try and work with a customer to save a sale are useless in the fact that they aren't fit for that position. This isn't a matter of some whiny brat complaining, it's about a manager being made to look like a useless tool due to the lack of discretion.

[quote name='PotatoGuy']Shit! I just picked this up from best buy. Anyone know if the upc is different on either box? Might order and return it to best buy.[/QUOTE]
No, any special edition will never have the same UPC code as the original.

And yes, eco-cases are horrible, but I can tolerate the thinner plastic ones more so than the ones with holes in them. And this is the one with holes in them. Nintendo seems to be the only first-party publisher embracing eco-cases.

[quote name='confoosious']btw - why does it matter whether the game is in an eco case? just curious.[/QUOTE]

Eco cases are the worst thing to ever happen to home entertainment.

[quote name='Stele']No, any special edition will never have the same UPC code as the original.
[/QUOTE]

That's not true for the purposes of why some people are asking. If the UPC of the game inside the box is the same, you can trade it into amazon/best buy/whatever.

For example, the UPC of Epic Mickey CE is difference (of course) but the game inside the CE was just a regular Epic Mickey with the same UPC. So once you're done with that game, you can trade it in no problem.

I have to go to Walmart Anyway to pick up my prescriptions, so site to store was the best way to go. Wait an extra week? Who cares its not like we are buying it on release here. Plus I have a huge backlog at this time. Hell at that price your not going to find it better for some time if ever. I have seen places still selling this package for 70 or 80.

Thanks for the find, OP. Had a $40 gift card from the holidays and I was just going to buy it in store by price-matching this week's Target ad, but this is obviously much better!

[quote name='wargod']How about we think about it from the managers point of view, since it's the manager/workers feelings where talking about here. Think of it like this. Someone walks in with an ad for an item that wal-mart.com has for $39.99 and you're the wal-mart store manager selling it for $59.99 at the local store you manage. You're going to follow corporate policy and not give it to them. All of a sudden, they whip out a Target ad that has the same exact item for $39.99, and because corporate policy states that you can price match a competitor but not your own website, you then offer to sell it to them for $39.99. The customer walks out of the store, laughing in your face as he heads over to Target, shaking his head at you for condoning such a policy.

What winds up happening is that you look like a dumb ass and the customer is right as you stand there ashamed of your own stores (wal-mart) policy. So yes, in essence, you are viewed as useless if you don't voice the opinion of your customers to corporate. Despite what the policy states, you as the manager are wrong if you don't pass the word of the customer to the policy makers. As a manager you should use discretion and make the logical correct choice, which would be to sell the item for the $39.99. No way in hell are your superiors going to question your judgment in this case. They are going to applaud the fact that you used good judgment over store policy.

While this may not apply to the item in question (golden eye), the very fact that it has happened with other items simply proves my point that managers who don't try and work with a customer to save a sale are useless in the fact that they aren't fit for that position. This isn't a matter of some whiny brat complaining, it's about a manager being made to look like a useless tool due to the lack of discretion.[/QUOTE]

Your sad argument leads me to believe that this is above your paygrade.

Ordered 1 and will probably be selling the controller. I already have 2 classic controllers and don't think I will like the classic pro version. Also definitely will be using Wii Remote controls for this game. Might change my mind though and keep it after I get this in the mail and take a look at it.

[quote name='confoosious']That's not true for the purposes of why some people are asking. If the UPC of the game inside the box is the same, you can trade it into amazon/best buy/whatever.

For example, the UPC of Epic Mickey CE is difference (of course) but the game inside the CE was just a regular Epic Mickey with the same UPC. So once you're done with that game, you can trade it in no problem.[/QUOTE]
I know why people are asking. He even said it in his post. Go to 2:00 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_83bM6fmNJI

Didnt see it a my local store if i buy it and ship to store will my local wm call me when it arrives? This is a perfect use for the $25 gc i got for xmas

It has been awhile since I used site to store but I believe they notify you with an e-mail when it is ready for pickup. It is at normal price in store anyway so even if the store had it you might not have been able to get it for $39.99.

[quote name='Stele']I know why people are asking. He even said it in his post. Go to 2:00 in this video.[/URL][/QUOTE]

Oh I just reread it and realized he was trying to scam best buy.

I just meant that some CEs do have the same UPC inside the box (epic mickey).

[quote name='confoosious']I just meant that some CEs do have the same UPC inside the box (epic mickey).[/QUOTE]
I guess I'll have to retract "never," but it's still incredibly uncommon. I don't have any CE games that doesn't have the "not for resale."

bread's done
Back