Goldeneye out, reviews in the 9s, cold day in Hell am comfrimd?

Thank god for the classic control options! Trying to use the motion controls on this would have me tossing a Wiimote thru my flatscreen.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']So this comes out TOMORROW. No reviews yet: there must be an embargo in place.[/QUOTE]

It seems like 90% of the game that come out are not reviewed until release day . Fable 3, DJ Hero, Fallout New Vegas, and plenty of other solid games did not have any reviews until the day of release (or very close to it). I really hate this trend.

That being said, this shipped out from Gamefly last night. Looking forward to playing a (hopefully) good bond game again! The lack of movies has really made me itch for some more bond-age (Haha. Get it? I'll be here all night people).

Last edited by a moderator:
Good little review about the game over at IGN. Scored a 9/10. I was waiting to see how it would come across, I might just have to pick this up now...

/\

Word, if reviews are as good as that from every where else I'll go pick it up at Kmart to get that free Gold Classic Controller. Mmmm.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']So this game isn't a total piece of Activision shit? Color me very surprised.[/QUOTE]

I too was very surprised by the reviews. I was expecting it to be a critical disappointment similar to "The Conduit".

I'm actually excited to play a Wii game now.

[quote name='DrMunkee']I too was very surprised by the reviews. I was expecting it to be a critical disappointment similar to "The Conduit".[/QUOTE]

I was expecting it to be total shit in every way, shape, or form. So even merely "good" reviews would have surprised me. The fact that it's getting 9s blows my mind.

Just picked up the CE at Kmart, VERY excited to play this. Should provide a fair amount of fun, based on the reviews. The original is EPIC and as long as this comes close it should be ok. Besides the gold classic controller is wicked awesome! :bouncy:

I'm not honestly sure how long it has been since I've played GoldenEye on the N64, but this version on the Wii is atrocious. I played multiplayer with my fiancee tonight and while some brings back memories, I'm about ready to buy a damned N64 used.

[quote name='BannedEpisode']The graphics look extremely disappointing, even for a wii title.[/QUOTE]
That's what I thought.

I don't mind the graphics that much but if it the game is really as glitchy as some players seem to report, I will be disappointed. Interesting enough, all the reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive which is certainly a surprise for me as I was expecting this to get less positive reception.

[quote name='TrueBlueLS']I'm not honestly sure how long it has been since I've played GoldenEye on the N64, but this version on the Wii is atrocious. I played multiplayer with my fiancee tonight and while some brings back memories, I'm about ready to buy a damned N64 used.[/QUOTE]
Mainstream reviewers inflating scores?! NO WAI

Reviews on GAF seem positive:

[quote name='EatChildren']Finished the single player.

On a whole, loved it, and if you're after a more 'traditional' single player I'd say its the definitive Wii shooter. Its very well paced, looks fantastic, has great level design, is cinematic, and just all round fun. It's a very, very enjoyable game and I'm happy that practically all of my worries and concerns were dealth with in the right manner.

I quite liked the changes to the story, and they really did make 'more sense' for a modern era. I also enjoyed that while the game made some obvious homages to the original game, it also made some homages to the film. There are some sections in the game that were not in the original N64 release but were in the film, and its great to finally 'play' them.

If I had any complaints it would be that there seemed to be a huge difficulty spike in the last level, and that the level basically went the rout I was worried the entire game would go; waves of enemies and Call of Duty gameplay. It wasn't a bad level, as it looked great and was paced well, but it still had too many "WAVES OF INFINITE SOLDIERS OMG" moments for my liking.

I didnt' really like the Airstrip level either, for similar reasons. Thankfully pretty much every other level had a mix of forced action and stealth, which was where the game was hitting a sweet spot.

Also, while I liked the story changes I do think it could have done with a bit more story to tie it all together. Natalia was under used, so her character was never really sold, and I didn't like how similar (mostly both having short, black hair) her and Xenia looked. It would have been nice of Natalia had her red hair as per the film, if just to make the two have more striking visual differences.

I wasn't all that convinced by Trevelyan's reasons to harness the GoldenEye either. The reasons he had were fine, and great for a modern time, but it wasn't enough. He lacked the threatening persona of the film's Trevelyan, but I guess the whole Lienz Cossacks thing would not have worked well for this era. Still, they should have put something else in. Bond's reaction to Trevelyan's appearance at Statue Park was pretty weak as well.

Otherwise I loved it and look forward to playing through it again. Time Trials are going to be interesting. I tried the tank one out but raged hardcore, and I dont want to make myselef too angry at the game this early .[/quote]

I haven't played a ton, but I haven't encountered any major glitches or anything. Also, haven't noticed any major issues in the multiplayer that one wouldn't expect when lag is an issue.

So yeah I'm digging the game and hoping to see some of you guys on the multiplayer.

Giant Bomb will be live-streaming multi-player footage for their Thursday Night Throwdown in about 10 minutes.

My honest assessment thus far, as of about halfway through the game.

It's a great Wii game. It's easily the best Bond game since Everything or Nothing. It fails spectacularly at being GoldenEye.

It's worth playing, but try and leave any memory of the N64 game out of it. They have literally nothing in common, which is a shame... this is a greatly competent original Craig as Bond game, and it really didn't need the GoldenEye name attached.

It's an apologist review, but it is what it is. Oh, and people complaining about the graphics? It's the Wii. This was never going to be an HD level title, and it's one of the better looking realistic games on the system. That just seems like complaining for the sake of complaining.

Really enjoying the new Goldeneye. While it is not the GE of yester years, it is fun to play with both the classic control pro and the wii-mote and nunchuk.

Friend Code: 5248-9087-6869

[quote name='62t']Do not be fool. This game is a joke. According to my friend playing online a shotgun blast to the face does no damage, but a hit to the toe is instant death. Accuracy is non existent.

the game is a mess

[/QUOTE]

How is the game a mess? I seems to me you haven't even played the game and you are going by stuff that you were told by a friend. How about playing the game?:wall:

Going on my second play-through of single player right now and haven't ran into any problems/glitches so far.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']Can you free-look with the wii remote, or do you have to press a button to aim a la Resident Evil 4?[/QUOTE]
You play the game like every FPS. It's always free look.

Played this today at a friend's house. I was using the Wii remote and nun-chuck vs 3 classic controllers and they were getting dominated. They were getting pretty upset after awhile :lol:. I was surprised that the pointer function would be able to work well in split screen.

Having experience from games like Metroid Prime Trilogy, Red Steel 2 and The Conduit helped a lot in regards to the controls (as long as you remember to turn the sensitivity way up like you do with all games that use the pointer). It was pretty fun but I think I might pass on this and wait for the Conduit 2 since it will have a lot more features from what I read.

[quote name='Mad D']You play the game like every FPS. It's always free look.
[/QUOTE]

I should have been more clear: if I point the remote to the far edge of the screen, does the player start rotating, or does the cursor stop at the edge of the screen?

I just finished the single player, and this is probably the best Bond game since, well, Goldeneye.

The best way to describe this is to say that this Goldeneye is like "The Dawn of the Dead" remake, while the N64 version is the original "Dawn of the Dead". Both are pretty good movies with the same idea, but the execution is completely different. Don't go in expecting it to be a lot like the original and you won't be disappointed.

I never ran into any glitches. The control scheme took a little getting used to, but I hadn't played a FPS on the Wii since the original Red Steel. The graphics were "meh", but I was having so much fun I failed to notice them after a while. For some reason, the shooting was insanely satisfying in this game.

If you are interested in this game, I strongly recommend a rental.

Split-screen multiplayer is disappointing. They were hyping this so much yet it contains only 4 modes (a fraction of those available online). Yes there are modifiers but I would've liked to play Black Box locally.

Played a bit of the single-player, looks pretty good. Game unfortunately crashed though halfway through.

This game is sick, bought a gamecube controller just to use with this, and it controls perfectly IMO...I like the wiimote control scheme too, but the GCN controller is excellent for this game.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']It looks like I'm going to get the opportunity to try the game out this weekend. In the multiplayer, which gun is the most broke?[/QUOTE]

Shotgun. Went one-on-one against my brother and it's a one-shot kill even at some distance.

To clarify, he is much better than me and I was owning him with the shotgun. :D

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Would you guys be up for a Goldeneye night sometime soon?[/QUOTE]

When my Wii comes back from Nintendo, I'm down. I'm actually excited about the online component. Too bad there's no voice chat, but I sometimes use Skype.

Finished single player earlier today. I really enjoyed it. I stopped playing Black Ops to play Goldeneye. I really like being the only "hero"; compared to fighting along side a platoon of soldiers.

Surprisingly, I've spent a good 11 or 12 hours just online.

I'm finding it enjoyable and I'm not even a big FPS fan.

[quote name='Marzy']Surprisingly, I've spent a good 11 or 12 hours just online.

I'm finding it enjoyable and I'm not even a big FPS fan.[/QUOTE]

This. I like playing this game online for about an hour or two a day. I enjoy the leveling up concept and being able to customize the loadouts. Add in the variety of different games you can play and it's just fun.

I'm not a FPS guy by any means, but I am a goldeneye nostalgia childhood reliving type guy.

Picked this up on black Friday and so far I really like it. I am maybe 6 missions into the SP, so far the quality is surprisingly high. It's so nice to be able to use the classic controller for an FPS on the Wii, if you couldn't I don't think I would've even bothered picking it up. I also hopped into a quick MP game, that mode is also surprisingly well done. It has to be the best Online Wii game I've played (although really that's not saying a whole lot).

Does anyone know how many missions long the SP campaign is? I am just curious how far along I am.

Picked this up last night to enjoy the nostalgia. I have to admit, I'm very surprised at how well this turned out. My only gripe is that I had to crank the brightness up during the first mission. Also, using a classic controller is much easier than trying to use the wiimote and nunchuk.

Yeah I just finished it today and I really liked it a lot. The missions are fun and the locales are diverse making for slightly different experience every level. I also like how you can be stealthy in this one, there is almost always a way to go thru a level stealthily.

[quote name='007']My honest assessment thus far, as of about halfway through the game.

It's a great Wii game. It's easily the best Bond game since Everything or Nothing. It fails spectacularly at being GoldenEye.

It's worth playing, but try and leave any memory of the N64 game out of it. They have literally nothing in common, which is a shame... this is a greatly competent original Craig as Bond game, and it really didn't need the GoldenEye name attached.

It's an apologist review, but it is what it is. Oh, and people complaining about the graphics? It's the Wii. This was never going to be an HD level title, and it's one of the better looking realistic games on the system. That just seems like complaining for the sake of complaining.[/QUOTE]

SPOT ON REVIEW

I'm a few hours into this game so far, using classic controller pro. The control scheme isnt terrible, not great.

I dont see myself finishing this game, only because its starting to become a little tedious to me. It is fun, but it doesnt deserve the title of goldeneye.

I'm going to try the nunchuck and wiimote control scheme and see if I like that any better

I was holding off on this game until it got really cheap, but then was unexpectedly given it for Christmas. I don't have a classic controller, I'll give the Wiimote a shot but I was wondering, how does the Gamecube controller work in comparison? Is the CC worth the money, or will the GC do the game justice? That C-stick nub has me worried...

[quote name='johnnypark']I was holding off on this game until it got really cheap, but then was unexpectedly given it for Christmas. I don't have a classic controller, I'll give the Wiimote a shot but I was wondering, how does the Gamecube controller work in comparison? Is the CC worth the money, or will the GC do the game justice? That C-stick nub has me worried...[/QUOTE]

I played through the game with the GCN controller. It works fine.

bread's done
Back