Gonna get a vizio from Walmart...LCD/Plasma???

shadowkast

CAG Newbie
I'm gonna pick one of these up in a few days, no not gonna wait for the XVT series to show up on shelves....question is the 47" plasma or LCD...heard good things about both on here...I'm not technically impared by no means by AVS forum is over my head sometimes

SO I would simply like you CAGers to tell me which one and why??

note: obviously used for gaming (PS3 and Wii) and movie viewing

Im in the same boat as you, except I made up my mind from research I did, I am going for the Vizio Plasma at wal-mart this friday

Here are some things I heard...

-Half life is MUCH better then Plasmas of the past
-Burn ins are rare nowadays
-Cautious you must be during the first 100 hours of the TV's life, basically be careful of Images that are stilled (not moving) use Break-In DVD that comes with the TV (Basically rapid moving images to stimulate your new TV)
-Blacks are MUCH better on Plasmas rather then LCD
-Viewing Angel is great on plasmas compared to LCD

I think the LCD Vizios from Walmart are known to be substantially lower quality that Vizios at other stores (such as Circuit City). I think Walmart has their own model or something?

The plasmas are a little better quality from what I know. So I'd go for that if you are definitely getting a Vizio from Walmart.

[quote name='Poor2More']Im in the same boat as you, except I made up my mind from research I did, I am going for the Vizio Plasma at wal-mart this friday

Here are some things I heard...

-Half life is MUCH better then Plasmas of the past
-Burn ins are rare nowadays
-Cautious you must be during the first 100 hours of the TV's life, basically be careful of Images that are stilled (not moving) use Break-In DVD that comes with the TV (Basically rapid moving images to stimulate your new TV)
-Blacks are MUCH better on Plasmas rather then LCD
-Viewing Angel is great on plasmas compared to LCD[/QUOTE]

Poor is spot on with the pros. Here are the cons FYI.
-Power usage is way higher for a plasma
-Plasmas give off a good deal more heat
-During some gaming and quick scrolling movie scenes, you are probably going to see some phosphor trails for the first hundred hours.

Plasmas are still solid buys and are getting better all the time. Just make sure you demo the tv and know that's what you are going to be happy with.

thanx for the quick responses
payday friday for you too poor2more:)

I've been pretty sold on the plasma. Always owned projection or lcd so the "break-in" period i was a little nervous about.

First off wal-mart is NOT the cheapest place to buy a TV. Go to circuit city and buy a name brand "open box" or display model. I got a 46' sony LCD for $487.00 on super clearance. If at all possible stay away from lower brand names, its well worth the extra scratch to buy a better TV, you will be glad you did!

[quote name='Strell']I think the LCD Vizios from Walmart are known to be substantially lower quality that Vizios at other stores (such as Circuit City). I think Walmart has their own model or something?

The plasmas are a little better quality from what I know. So I'd go for that if you are definitely getting a Vizio from Walmart.[/quote]

I've read much the same about the quality of Walmart's TVs. I would also recommend looking somewhere else for a TV, they aren't always the lowest price either. Also when you buy something expensive like this look at it as an investment and spend the little extra money on one that will last and look better.

He's been asking for a few days... and is set on the Vizio. From every model I've seen, I've walked away laughing. Money is tight though, so I guess the instant gratification is better than still smiling a year after the purchase for some people. Especially with the economy in the midst of collapsing :) Enjoy whichever set you get :)

[quote name='konamifan2002']First off wal-mart is NOT the cheapest place to buy a TV. Go to circuit city and buy a name brand "open box" or display model. I got a 46' sony LCD for $487.00 on super clearance. If at all possible stay away from lower brand names, its well worth the extra scratch to buy a better TV, you will be glad you did![/QUOTE]

NEVER buy a floor model LCD or Plasma. Unless you feel like going through the hassle of getting them repaired. All those hours of having their brightness cranked up all the was to show off its look is not good for them. I forget the term used but when I was looking for tvs this was the first thing I was told by everyone in the know.

And yea, the LCDs Vizios from WalMart are a lower quality model, you can look on Vizios website to see the difference between the two.

[quote name='Strell']I think the LCD Vizios from Walmart are known to be substantially lower quality that Vizios at other stores (such as Circuit City). I think Walmart has their own model or something?

The plasmas are a little better quality from what I know. So I'd go for that if you are definitely getting a Vizio from Walmart.[/quote]

Strell is spot-on with his analysis.

whatever you do do not buy the vizio vp422 or vp322 the black levels are horrible.
the lcds are actually better quality with the vizio brand.
also look at sharp,samsung,sanyo.
wal-mart electronics associate.

I just bought a Vizio VW42L 42" and I have to say it looks amazing. I had an older Sony 32" Trinitron flat screen CRT that only pumped up to 480p. I got it on sale for $869 at Walmart. Everything is great about it the only complaint I have about is that the speakers on the TV just sound muffled. Certain channels the audio sound decent other channels it just doesnt sound clear enough. But I have the Digital Output coming thru my Bose speakers so it doesnt really bother me so much. Funny thing is that when I play my Xbox 360 off it the speakers sound great and loud. So it might be my cable box? Not sure.

Right now I am happy with the TV and I would recommend people who are looking to get a new tv and are on a budget.

I'm extremely satisfied with the 42" Westinghouse LCD from Costco for $699. When I first turned on my 360 and saw the black intro screen from Lego Indiana Jones I was happy in my pants. The initial PS3 issues people were worried about were fixed with a simple settings change.

I bought the 37" Vizio from Walmart 9 months ago? Give or take a month or 2.

I have been very happy with it. I had some gift cards laying around & waited for it to go on sale.

I dont remember off hand what the difference between Walmarts 37" Vizio & CC's. But its nothing that was worth the $150-$200 difference. Not to mention the $500 in Gift Cards I had.

[quote name='konamifan2002'] I got a 46' sony LCD for $487.00 on super clearance. [/quote]

46 feet? Daaaamn! You are the Dealmaestro! I can't say i've had a problem with my 46" Vizio from walmart i've had since January. The box said 47", but I know that's a bullshit. I think the remote sucks, and that''s about it.

thanx again to all...

this is gonna be my tv that, in the future, will be put in my den/man cave. On a budget, sort of yes, but I think I'm gonna try to pick up another TV around the holiday (maybe black friday) as my main television. Gonna sell my current 50" hitachi rear-projection HDTV to a co-worker for $500 to offset the price of the vizio.

to konamifan: CC is unfortunatly over an hour away, so not really an option (costco as well) 20ish mins. to get to bestbuy, target, and the other walmart. options are kinda slim in po-dunk

i have a 37' Vizio from Walmart no probs with mine makes the xbox 360 and PS3 look sweet just wish the Wii had HD to it. Plasmas are nice but to people i hear have problems with them look into the ratio for LCD vs Plamsa repairs it's nuts just ask your local TV repair shop

[quote name='shadowkast']I'm gonna pick one of these up in a few days, no not gonna wait for the XVT series to show up on shelves....question is the 47" plasma or LCD...heard good things about both on here...I'm not technically impared by no means by AVS forum is over my head sometimes

SO I would simply like you CAGers to tell me which one and why??

note: obviously used for gaming (PS3 and Wii) and movie viewing[/quote]

Go with LCD and buy it at Costco. They double your warranty and will replace it with no problems.

[quote name='linkmon']Go with LCD and buy it at Costco. They double your warranty and will replace it with no problems.[/quote]
like I said I would have to drive way too far (gas $) or pay $99 for shipping not worth it to me.

Yes I know a sammy or sony would be much better but, this is gonna be my backup tv eventually so I'm alright with a vizio for now. Compared to my current 50" rear projection HDTV (that only puts out 1080i) my games and movies are going to look exceptionally better/brighter/vivid I would think

still not sure as it seems both LCD and Plasma has their pros and cons as well as followers equally supporting both

Anybody who bought a 32" Vizio Plasma, Can this fit in the back of my car (Mustang)??? Really urgent I know this, because I would hate to look like a fool and plus Walmart associates are 99% no help

[quote name='Poor2More']Anybody who bought a 32" Vizio Plasma, Can this fit in the back of my car (Mustang)??? Really urgent I know this, because I would hate to look like a fool and plus Walmart associates are 99% no help[/quote]

Does your back seats lay down? I got a 32" Olevia at Kmart last black friday and the box was HUGE it fit in my trunk (newer Civic) but I had to lay the back seats down. No way it's gonna fit in your trunk alone and have it close. You could always lay passenger seat forward and try to angle it in that way. ;)

Anyone here own a Vizio 26" LCD HDTV (VA26L) or know somebody else that does?

I've been looking into purchasing that TV for my apartment, and I'm having a difficult time finding any reviews for this TV.

[quote name='Shimrra']I just bought a Vizio VW42L 42" and I have to say it looks amazing. I had an older Sony 32" Trinitron flat screen CRT that only pumped up to 480p. I got it on sale for $869 at Walmart. Everything is great about it the only complaint I have about is that the speakers on the TV just sound muffled. Certain channels the audio sound decent other channels it just doesnt sound clear enough. But I have the Digital Output coming thru my Bose speakers so it doesnt really bother me so much. Funny thing is that when I play my Xbox 360 off it the speakers sound great and loud. So it might be my cable box? Not sure.

Right now I am happy with the TV and I would recommend people who are looking to get a new tv and are on a budget.[/quote]

i picked up the same tv as you last week and i love it to death...i had a 27" SDTV that fried on me, and i haven't looked back since

[quote name='shadowkast']like I said I would have to drive way too far (gas $) or pay $99 for shipping not worth it to me.

Yes I know a sammy or sony would be much better but, this is gonna be my backup tv eventually so I'm alright with a vizio for now. Compared to my current 50" rear projection HDTV (that only puts out 1080i) my games and movies are going to look exceptionally better/brighter/vivid I would think

still not sure as it seems both LCD and Plasma has their pros and cons as well as followers equally supporting both[/quote]

how much you looking to spend? lcd sammy's are real cheap on amazon right now, the new 5 series is amazing. i love my samsung and $1400 for 46" can't be much more than the vizio. you get what you pay for, back up tv, or not.

bread's done
Back