Good 360 style PS# controller

theEchness

CAGiversary!
Feedback
94 (100%)
So I am an avid 360 player, but I got a PS3 lately for all the sweet exclusives and I found out I hate the small controller.

I've been doing some searching and found two good 360 style controllers(Power A Pro Elite and the Nyco Raven), but I wanna know if anyone has any good info on them. From what I've read, both have "bad" lag on the thumbsticks and that scares the hell outta me. I used gamefly's year end sale to pick up some shooters, but with the lag that's just gonna suck.

So anyone got either one of these and care to testify? How's the lag on the thumbsticks? Do you play Uncharted/GOW/Killzone and notice it? Are they comfortable?

Help a new PS3 player out, huh?

I don't think there's a perfect controller out there for that. There is an adapter called the XCM Cross Battle that will allow you to use an actual 360 controller on the PS3 but I believe it has to be a wired 360 controller:

http://www.amazon.com/Cross-Battle-...9YTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325454596&sr=8-1

My advice: Try and adjust to the PS3 controller, while totally different from the 360 one, it's not bad at all for shooters (except perhaps the lack of trigger buttons which can be fixed with an additional accessory).

I've had a Power A Pro Elite for a long time and my 360-only owning friends use it at my house a lot and love it. The triggers still aren't up to par with the 360's, but I have never had any problems with the dead zones.

[quote name='Blabadon']I've had a Power A Pro Elite for a long time and my 360-only owning friends use it at my house a lot and love it. The triggers still aren't up to par with the 360's, but I have never had any problems with the dead zones.[/QUOTE]

The Batman: AC controller also has the sticks in the same layout and is also rechargeable. That and the Pro A Power Elite one are the two easiest to find at retail (most Gamestop's have them.)

[quote name='MSUHitman']The Batman: AC controller also has the sticks in the same layout and is also rechargeable. That and the Pro A Power Elite one are the two easiest to find at retail (most Gamestop's have them.)[/QUOTE]

And GameStop has this sick red-colored Power A Wireless one.

I may be alone here, but I think you should give the DS a chance. I thought I would hate the DS, as I loved the Xbox controller. But....

While I wouldn't mind the thumb sticks being placed higher (i.e., in place of d-pad and buttons), and the concave R2/L2's. But other than that, I like DS better in every way. The face buttons are nicer, the R1 and L1 aren't as clicky as RB/LB. D-pad... well the 360 controller doesn't have one. I like the taller thumb sticks. The convex thumb sticks don't matter as much as I thought they would. While it feels small at first, it feels fine now, and the 360 feels too beefy. The DS is also about 3.8 pounds lighter. For reference: I have Med to Large hands. EB sells concave L2/R2 adapters for about $5.

If anything the large difference should make it easier, as your mind should switch modes easy as opposed to being confused by the similar feel.

~S

[quote name='theEchness']So I am an avid 360 player, but I got a PS3 lately for all the sweet exclusives and I found out I hate the small controller.

I've been doing some searching and found two good 360 style controllers(Power A Pro Elite and the Nyco Raven), but I wanna know if anyone has any good info on them. From what I've read, both have "bad" lag on the thumbsticks and that scares the hell outta me. I used gamefly's year end sale to pick up some shooters, but with the lag that's just gonna suck.

So anyone got either one of these and care to testify? How's the lag on the thumbsticks? Do you play Uncharted/GOW/Killzone and notice it? Are they comfortable?

Help a new PS3 player out, huh?[/QUOTE]
I assume you're talking about THIS Nyko Raven controller: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nyko+-+...on+3/1971372.p?id=1218303650749&skuId=1971372

If so, I'm fairly certain that a firmware update a while back actually nerfed the ability to use those with the PS3. However, if you use your PS3 OFFline and haven't updated the firmware EVER since you bought it then you should be ok.

Why is it nerfed, you might ask? Well, Sony(in their infinite wisdom) borked the use of some USB peripherals a while ago because of piracy concerns(Google USB 'keys' for PS3) and in doing so locked out a number of third party controllers/peripherals that use USB dongles to connect with the system.

If they still sold them I would suggest the Rocketfish controllers from Best Buy since they're in the 360 style. However, they clearanced those to $10 a while ago. So chances are you won't find any of those around. Not to mention the L2/R2 'triggers' are weaker than the standard Dual Shock 3 ones, the battery life is pretty crappy AND the PS button takes some breaking in before it'll work right 100% of the time.

There is THIS one from Gamestop from a company called Gioteck for $50: http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/gioteck-ps3-hf-2-bluetooth-wireless-controller/90929

It runs on Bluetooth like the official PS3 controllers, so you don't have to worry about the USB dongle issue.

There was also a controller by DreamGEAR a while ago that has the same layout as a 360 controller as well. I had this controller for about 2-3 days but my cordless phone interfered with the wireless signal(2.4ghz I believe it is). Basically, the controller worked great while plugged in to charge, but as soon as I unplugged it the vibration motors started up and wouldn't stop until the battery was dead again.:cry:

Here's a listing for that one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Wirele...OQLS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1325694162&sr=8-4

It too runs off of a USB dongle, so it may also have been blocked by the firmware update a while ago.

uh, do you have proof that the Nyko Raven is "nerfed"? Not every single USB controller was blocked you know, and for the most part only counterfeit/unlicensed controllers/accessories were targeted with the majority of licensed 3rd party controllers (which the Raven is ) not being affected.

I see no definitive source that says that Raven was blocked by Sony and there are reviews after that FW was released that show it's still working. The controller just happens to be ass

edit: In fact, Nyko themselves even put out a statement that said their controllers will work after that FW, but hey you and facts are like oil and water I guess ;)

http://techland.time.com/2010/09/27/nyko-all-our-controllers-will-work-with-new-ps3-update/

[quote name='ssjmichael']uh, do you have proof that the Nyko Raven is "nerfed"? Not every single USB controller was blocked you know, and for the most part only counterfeit/unlicensed controllers/accessories were targeted with the majority of licensed 3rd party controllers (which the Raven is ) not being affected.

I see no definitive source that says that Raven was blocked by Sony and there are reviews after that FW was released that show it's still working. The controller just happens to be ass[/QUOTE]
The only 'proof' I have is that a fellow CAG who is local to me told me that they had one of them and it got borked after a firmware update.

So yeah, while not definitive 'proof' I'd at least search for further reports of the issue and if they are found then I'd steer clear.

Hmmmm...

I wonder if his controller happened to die just prior to the FW update. Last time I talked to him about this I think he said Nyko was gonna send him a replacement or something.

I recently bought a Raven, and it works fine on my PS3. I have not noticed any lag, but the dead zone is a little bigger than the DS3's...not terrible, and it's easy enough to get used to, but you will probably notice it.

I like the controller in general; the size is better for my fat hands, and the 360 stick layout is great.

My nyko guitar was nerfed with that update. I have one of those rocketfish controllers but it's garbage. Got it new from IATCG actually. Mine was very unresponsive and the joysticks just felt loose

Thanks everyone who posted in the thread. I did some more "research" and found the Cross Battle adapter. I see that they put out the CBA 2.2 that I could use my WIRELESS black 360 controller with so i'll probably go with that.

The only thing i hate about the PS3 controller is when i move the left analog right and right analog left at the same time. If i do that my thumbs hit each other, because i dont use the tips of my thumbs. I never had that problem with PS2 because most games used Dpad. Even God of war for Playstation work fine because its analog+ buttons. But a game like infamous where you constantly use both analogs at the same time, then i tend to run into it being too close to each other.

bread's done
Back