Good exercises to do at home?

Jrunt20x

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good exercises or workouts to do at home? I would like to start going to a gym to really work out but before I do that, I want to at least build up some strength at home so I don't hurt myself. I've been doing different kinds of push ups and sit ups to work my upper body and lots of jumping jacks to work my heart and legs. Do you guys know of anything else that might be helpful? Thanks in advance. :D

try tricep extensions. its pretty much a reverse push up but try to find a taller surface to get a full extension.

my meat usually gets a good work out every morning(sometimes twice). you might want to try the "choking chicken" technique.

[quote name='thagoat']my meat usually gets a good work out every morning(sometimes twice). you might want to try the "choking chicken" technique.[/quote]

:joystick:

[quote name='Jrunt20x']Thanks guys, I'll try both.

Thagoat, I do that plenty. I want to work something other then my right arm.[/quote]

lol

Thagoat, I do that plenty. I want to work something other then my right arm.[/quote]

Way to much info. :puke:

Alternate, it improves writing skill in the left hand and I have based this on nothing.

This may sound obvious, but push-ups and sit-ups.

Jumping rope...stretching...that'll all good as well.

[quote name='greendc27'][quote name='Jrunt20x']Thanks guys, I'll try both.

Way to much info. :puke:[/quote]

I knew someone was going to say those exact words. :lol:

This is probably the WORST place to ask these questions.

I would recommend finding something that you enjoy doing that is athletic. This is far more enjoyable, and you probably will have a much bigger chance of sticking with it.

[quote name='Mike23']This may sound obvious, but push-ups and sit-ups.

Jumping rope...stretching...that'll all good as well.[/quote]

I am already doing those. They're really feeling great but I was wondering if people had any different suggestions like the tricep one which I am going to try during my workout tomorrow. Thanks for the post though.

best free exercises:

1. push-ups
2. jogging at a park
3. sit-ups holding a weight (bowling ball?)

[quote name='rockhero']This is probably the WORST place to ask these questions.

I would recommend finding something that you enjoy doing that is athletic. This is far more enjoyable, and you probably will have a much bigger chance of sticking with it.[/quote]

I know rock, I figured that had to be at least someone here that knows stuff. I mean, just look how studly Cheapy is. :lol:

Thanks for the advice rock, I am going to try some different excerises to see which ones I enjoy most.

You may want to pick up some free-weights to work your upper body, that is, if you don't mind spending a little money to get a small set. They'll pretty much expand what you can do at home by a lot.

All the equipment you need is a bench, and two free weights that you can do bicep curls with no more than 12 times with in one set. Follow a routine similar to this...

Monday: Bicep curls, triceps extensions, and should presses.

Wensday: Bench Press, and one-arm rows (back).

Friday: Squats, and calf raises.

[quote name='Jrunt20x'][quote name='rockhero']This is probably the WORST place to ask these questions.

I would recommend finding something that you enjoy doing that is athletic. This is far more enjoyable, and you probably will have a much bigger chance of sticking with it.[/quote]

I know rock, I figured that had to be at least someone here that knows stuff. I mean, just look how studly Cheapy is. :lol:

Thanks for the advice rock, I am going to try some different excerises to see which ones I enjoy most.[/quote]

I meant more things like shooting hoops, mountain climbing, wrestling, rock climbing, boxing, martial arts, etc. All of those will work up a sweat and are much more fun than sitting in your room doing crunches.

[quote name='rockhero']I meant more things like shooting hoops, mountain climbing, wrestling, rock climbing, boxing, martial arts, etc. All of those will work up a sweat and are much more fun than sitting in your room doing crunches.[/quote]

To add to the wonderful list, racket ball comes to mind... and sex...

You could just start slow at the gym. I'm 13, and before half a year ago, I barely touched physical exersice for a year or two and had no experience with muscular exercise. My Dad started taking me to the gym with him and I started doing his 16 exercises, 640 rep routine with small weight. Now I'm doing this 4 days a week, rotating between between two different routines.

Lunges
Squats w/o weights
Crunhes
Pushups
Jump Rope
Wall Sits
Wall Jumps
Tricep Dips
Pullups -- if you can find a stable bar to use

Basically focus on core muscles (chest, back, abs, legs) if your worried about your fitness before the gym. Also once you get there start out light and easy. Nothing will discourage a person from working out faster then being super sore.

You don't need to do anything before going to a gym and lifting. Just start out with light weights on everything.

also, do yourself a favor and don't be a Johnny Bravo (i.e. guys who just do chest and biceps all the time). Do compound exercises that work the whole body, such as

bench
squats
pullups
military press
deadlifts
barbell rows

Claf raises. Hold a 10-20lbs weight in one and and raise yourself as high as you can on that same-sided foot while keeping the other foot off the ground. If balance is an issue you shouldn't need more than a few fingers on the wall to feel balanced.

If you're thinking about joining a gym you may as well do it now. Most gyms has the best deals between the beginning of the year and spring. Just go there and start slowly. Many gyms will have a start-up program or turtorial where they can give you a basc workout plan for you and you can build from there. Also, one of the best things you can do at home is good stretching.

bread's done
Back