Good GBA games that I can still find?

Forsaken

CAG Veteran
Alright, I am going to be out of town for a few days, and unfortunately I will probably be bored out of mind for most of the trip. I've been meaning to upgrade to a DS/PSP (and definately kicking myself now for not doing so), but I don't do much portable gaming, except on the rare occassions I have to go on vacation with my family, like this one. So, I was wondering, are there any good GBA games that are out there (and relatively easy to find) that I would enjoy? I know its been phased out for the most part. I loved Castlevania, and I am looking for a good RPG, prefably without turn based combat. OR any suggestion.

A video MP3 player would be nice as well, sigh...

Well they've got turn based combat but the final fantasy advance titles would be good to have.

Some of the later ones use the active time battle system (FF4, 5, and 6?)so it's not really "turn based".

Golden Sun (I and II) have a similar thing, I have both but haven't played them yet.

WarioWare Twisted is fun- I also played through Metroid Fusion and it was pretty good (my first 2D metroid experience).

For something a little more casual maybe Mario&Luigi: Superstar Saga?

I don't think it should be that difficult to find any of these titles- it wasn't difficult for me.

Ruahrc

[quote name='Forsaken']Alright, I am going to be out of town for a few days, and unfortunately I will probably be bored out of mind for most of the trip. I've been meaning to upgrade to a DS/PSP (and definately kicking myself now for not doing so), but I don't do much portable gaming, except on the rare occassions I have to go on vacation with my family, like this one. So, I was wondering, are there any good GBA games that are out there (and relatively easy to find) that I would enjoy? I know its been phased out for the most part. I loved Castlevania, and I am looking for a good RPG, prefably without turn based combat. OR any suggestion.

A video MP3 player would be nice as well, sigh...[/QUOTE]

Unless you're looking for something really uncommon, it shouldn't be too hard to find pretty much any GBA titles used.

There are three fantastic Castlevania games for the system, if you're a fan of the series.

Most of the RPGs I can think of on the system are turn based to at least some extent, given the system's capabilities, but there's plenty of choices out there. The best advice I can give would be to do a bit of research, starting with any genres or series you like. Odds are you'll find something suited to your tastes.

[quote name='Ruahrc']Golden Sun (I and II) have a similar thing, I have both but haven't played them yet.[/QUOTE]

Golden Sun was most definitely turn-based, and was also incredibly linear. I wouldn't recommend it.

Since FFV and FFVI were released back when the Ds was first out, they will probably be available if you look around. FFVI is the better one, but if you can find it, I would also recommend FFIV.

confused? So am I

Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 & 2 are both solid RPGs with action battles; their plots are unrelated so don't worry if you can't find 1 very easily. I'd also recommend Scurge: Hive, which is a decent Castlevania/Metroid clone done in an isometric perspective that you can probably still find for under $10 new.

Mario/Luigi Superstar Saga
All things Castlevania
All things Metroid
All things Zelda

I personally enjoyed all the FF Advance games, and Tactics Advance might fit your bill too (lots of play time, too). I also really liked Golden Sun, which is also really cheap if you can find it.

Advance Wars 1+2 are both fairly cheap used, and lots of fun.

Shining Soul 2 is supposed to be good, I got it on a B2G1 but haven't played it yet.

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga: Turn-based RPG, but has a good sense of humor, a colorful universe, and some timing based criticals.
Tales of Phantasia: Classic action RPG with a good storyline and a nice battle system, but tends to focus a bit on grinding for levels and mastering techniques.

River City Ransom EX: Remake of a classic Beat-em-up with RPG elements (Stat-building, money collecting, items). Menu system is pretty confusing, but it's a solid game with plenty of replay value.
Mario Golf: Advance Tour: Golf game with RPG elements. Fun stuff.
Warioware Inc. or Warioware Twisted: Twisted is the superior game, but it can have problems in moving vehicles, so if you haven't played the original, you can't go wrong with either game.
Sonic Pinball Party: Fun pinball game with great music and plenty of Sega references. It would probably be easier to look for the Sonic Advance/Sonic Pinball Party double pack cartridge.

If you're into strategy games then Fire Emblem and the Super Robot Taisen games are good.

[quote name='62t']drill doozer is easily one of the better game on GBA, and you can find it easily.[/quote]

second

drill dozer is easy to find

I've seen it on sale at fry's (anaheim) for 10 bucks too

Advance Wars (1 or 2..I actually prefer 1)
Astro Boy (Best non-port platformer-type game on GBA, IMO)
Fire Emblem (1 or 2...both great)
Drill Dozer
Sonic Advance (any)
Kirby games
Metal Slug Advance
Ninja Five-O (cross between Shinobi & Bionic Commando...awesome!)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Bad Dream (little known Treasure game...very fun and very challenging...do not be put off by the license)

Not much unless OP resorts to online shopping. And I doubt OP will get ebay orders before leaving for vacation.

Well, I came back from the trip a couple of days ago. I did not turn on the GBA once. I actually did use it when I came back for a little since when we lost power, and a couple of times afterwards.

I'm debating whether or not I should try and find a bunch of GBA games for my next trip(s), or whether I am better off using the money towards a new DS or PSP. I loved Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, and it seems that the previous Castlevania games are not as good on the GBA. I know the DS already has 2 Castlevania games, plus a third coming. But I am also leaning more towards the PSP because of the media features. I just don't know...

I say save it up. On trips, I usually don't bring along portable gaming systems, mostly because I'm there for the trip, not the games.

[quote name='bmachine']The only GBA game I've bought in the last year is The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night based primarily on this review. It's a blast.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised more people aren't recommending this. The OP likes Castlevania and this game shares some similarities with that series. And he can still find it since it was just released last November.

bread's done
Back