Good hard drive backup software?

Staind204

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
What would you guys recommend me for backing up some files on my hard drive? I don't want to back up the whole drive just certain folders containing MP3s and Videos. I could manually add the stuff to equal the size of a DVD but that is annoying and confusing. I would like a program where I can select a folder and it will say "insert DVD 1," once this is full "insert DVD 2," etc. A free program would be idea but I'm up for other suggestions as well. Thanks!

Get an external HDD. Ideally one of those kind where you can use redundancy by having multiple drives, like a Buffalo TeraStation. Then drag your shit to that other drive once in a while.

You can do it with DVD's, but no one ever keeps DVD backups up to date. It's just no convenient enough. Get an external hard drive like crunch said.

And, if you get an external hard drive, you can just use the backup program that comes with Windows. Although, I think I remember hearing that Vista doesn't come with one.

If you really wanna do it on DVD's, Acronis True Image is the latest backup software that people seem to be liking the most right now.

If you have a full Nero suite, from the smart start option - the data copying feature is simple to use. It has the ""insert DVD 1," once this is full "insert DVD2,"" feature that you are interested in.

Yeah, DriveImage, that was the one I was trying to remember when I posted that 2brightsparks link earlier. I've never used either. But, I've heard really good things about DriveImage. I think it's like no incremental backups or anything, just backups the whole hard drive.

Thanks for the replies. I already have an external drive I use as backup but I would like to have a 3rd disc version as well (maybe a little overkill but I really don't want to lose these files). I will have to try some of the programs you guys recommended. I forgot to mention I mainly use Linux though. Any good programs for that?

Acronis True Image - Not free, but is awesome. I use it on all my boxes- and I just upgraded for my vista one. It's sweet.

[quote name='Staind204'] I forgot to mention I mainly use Linux though. Any good programs for that?[/QUOTE]

Oh well, in that case...

cd ~
cp -fr *

That's how we used to roll back in the day...

On Linux, tar does incremental backups and compression. A little tricky to setup, you have to read the man pages of tar and mkisofs if you want to get it setup.

Probably search the web for tutorials. Getting it up and going from scratch via the man pages would be frustrating as hell.

bread's done
Back