Good Horror Movies

MrBrando

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
Hey, I'm just wondering if you guys could recommend some good horror movies. I'm not looking for just gory movies (some is good) like Dead Alive or Cannibal Holocaust. I'm mainly looking for good movies to watch with a group of people, some of them girls. Thanks

that new freddy vs. jason is funny and scarry to some people.......i like all horror movies but the greatest would have to be the omen series or nightmare on elmstreet series

Freddy vs Jason was hilarious

The Evil Dead series is awesome...but its pretty ridiculous and not that scary. But I still think you should watch 'em.

Try:

Cube - Strange but cool movie. People trapped in a giant building where all the rooms have exits on all 4 walls and the floor and the ceiling. Some of the rooms are trapped, so they have to be careful going from room to room as they try and figure out what is going on.

Phantasm - Spooky funeral home director.

The Fog - I saw this a long time ago, but I remember it was good

Return of the living dead - Zombies run very fast

Mother's Day - 3 college girls stalked by serial killers while camping

Scanners - People with mental powers

These are just some off the top of my head

I have always been partial to George Romero's living dead series of movies (original Night of the Living Dead, original Dawn of the Dead, and Day of the Dead). They can be gory at times but mostly demonstrate how hopelessly outnumbered we would be if the dead came back to life. I guess it helps that I lived across from a cemetary for 15 years.

The Ring is supposed to be scary...never seen it so I can't vouch for it

The Others is good, and 28 Days Later...cept I'd consider both more suspenseful than horror/scary.

-The Evil Dead series is great. More for fun than horror though.
-Dawn of the Dead has a awesome story. Probably the best story in it's genre.
-Day of the Dead story kinda sucked but GOD DAMN those zombies were scary! Best effects and this comes from of movie that's 20 years old.
-Hellraiser. Only the first one. It had good effects and story. The sequels blew.

Other don't come to mind. I'll post again if some do.

RINGU was freakier than the ring but i couldnt consider it "scary"

hellraiser was good but i liked to watch the sequels as well.
i find it hilarious that the hooks used in that movie are the same my dad uses to maike his fishing lures with and his company is called hellraiser tackle

www.hellraisertackle.com

[quote name='controlcommerce']To me none of the newer horror movies are that great.[/quote]

I kinda agree. I think being older has something to do with it.

The Shining (with Nicholson, not the miniseries with the guy from Wings), the Ring, Cabin Fever, Glitter w/ Mariah Carey (absolutely terrifying).

[quote name='BigNick'][quote name='controlcommerce']To me none of the newer horror movies are that great.[/quote]

I kinda agree. I think being older has something to do with it.[/quote]

Definitely. The older ones were pre-MTV generation, the only music was the score, they weren't as flashy, and because the directors didn't suffer from ADD like many of today's directors seem too, the camera could linger and build suspense. Also, if you're into gore, the ratings board was a lot less strict in the eighties.

[quote name='bob_the_goon'][quote name='BigNick'][quote name='controlcommerce']To me none of the newer horror movies are that great.[/quote]

Definitely. The older ones were pre-MTV generation, the only music was the score, they weren't as flashy, and because the directors didn't suffer from ADD like many of today's directors seem too, the camera could linger and build suspense. Also, if you're into gore, the ratings board was a lot less strict in the eighties.[/quote]

Totally, plus there wasnt computer animated gore. Older horror movies rule. New ones are kinda generic, just look at scream.

Try Stir of Echoes, I really dig that flick!

But I agree, I don't find any of the new horror movies to be scary, but in truth they haven't made a true Horror flick in ages, all there is now is Thriller/ Suspense Drama type stuff!

Alien and Aliens. Both are great movies all-around, and each have their moments horror-wise.

Just avoid Alien Resurrection. That piece of worthless dreck is a waste of celluloid and an affront to all intelligent life.

Lets see, some of my choices are kinda sci-fi/horror hybrids

Frailty
second, 28 Days Later
American Werewolf in London
second, Cube, don't bother with the sequel
second, The Evil Deads
second, Return of the Living Dead
Second, Halloween 1
Second, Living Dead Trilogy
The Thing
Alien

stir of echoes had kevin bacon in it and had its freaky "frame skipping"m parts in it and creepy fiddle scene.......tat movie was the only "scary" movie that is newer

these might have already been named but o well micheal myers (halloween), scream, friday the 13th, the chuckie series, nightmare on elm street, or the ring.

Check out Candyman......the first one though, all the sequels suck.

I'm also happy to see alot of people giving love to The Return of the Living Dead.......That has been my favorite dead movie since I saw it in the movies.

I would definitely recommend the Dead Trilogy (Night, Dawn, and Day). They'll definitely make sensitive people cringe. Day of the Dead is probably the goriest of the 3. I also like Zombie and Pet Sematary. I'm not into the new horror movies. Too much comedy thrown in. Check out the site http://www.houseofhorrors.com for more recommendations.

[quote name='Journey']

I'm also happy to see alot of people giving love to The Return of the Living Dead.......That has been my favorite dead movie since I saw it in the movies.[/quote]

All this talk about Return of the Living Dead makes me want to see it again. I'm gonna pop that DVD in (once my 2 year old goes to bed!)

I recommend:

The Dead Trilogy
Fallen
28 Days Later
The Ring
The Thing
The Shining
Alien and Aliens (if you count those as horror movies)
Lucio Fulci's Zombie

maybe this shouldnt be in this category but I'd say it could fit into this although it's more dramatic/suspense. Seven with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman, very suspensful and scary.

Suspiria, one of Dario Argento's best horror films. The sound track is chilling, and Argento actually blasted it at the cast to creep them out.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Lets see, some of my choices are kinda sci-fi/horror hybrids

Frailty
second, 28 Days Later
second, The Evil Deads
Second, Halloween 1
The Thing
Alien[/quote]

Cool, someone else who has seen Cube. I really like that movie. I haven't seen the sequel.

Has anyone seen Battle Royale?

[quote name='ZarathosNY'][quote name='guardian_owl']Lets see, some of my choices are kinda sci-fi/horror hybrids

Frailty
second, 28 Days Later
second, The Evil Deads
Second, Halloween 1
The Thing
Alien[/quote]

Cool, someone else who has seen Cube. I really like that movie. I haven't seen the sequel.

Has anyone seen Battle Royale?[/quote]

Yeah, I've seen Cube, Hypercube and Battle Royale. All great movies. I haven't seen BR2 yet, though.

I'm aware of Dario. I've seen Creepers, which I found out later was a cut down version of Phenomena. I always thought something was missing from creepers. I have yet to seen phenoma or any of his other movies yet though.

Ahh yes, Stir of Echoes, I remember that, also excellent

For those fans of Dawn of the Dead (1979) who have not heard, Anchor Bay is releasing a massive box set featuring 3 different cuts of the film and a 4th disc of extras in September.

4-Disc Box Set Details.

[quote name='BigNick'][quote name='bob_the_goon'][quote name='BigNick'][quote name='controlcommerce']To me none of the newer horror movies are that great.[/quote]

Definitely. The older ones were pre-MTV generation, the only music was the score, they weren't as flashy, and because the directors didn't suffer from ADD like many of today's directors seem too, the camera could linger and build suspense. Also, if you're into gore, the ratings board was a lot less strict in the eighties.[/quote]

Totally, plus there wasnt computer animated gore. Older horror movies rule. New ones are kinda generic, just look at scream.[/quote]

Yeah, todays movie scare you by load noises. Picture this: A guy walks down a dark ally. The Camers stairs that the dark for a whole ten sec. Then BAM!!! his partner pops out the corner and saids "hey man, what are you doing, lets go."

This happens in like what? Every horror movie make in the 2000s?

BTW, The Thing! How could I forget that. The best John Carpenter movie, even over Holloween.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Ahh yes, Stir of Echoes, I remember that, also excellent

For those fans of Dawn of the Dead who have not heard, Anchor Bay is releasing a massive box set featuring 3 different cuts of the film and a 4th disc of extras in September.

4-Disc Box Set Details[/quote]

HOLY SHIT! I don't care if that cost $50, it's mine! The two documentarise are worth it alone.

[quote name='heironymous']No love for Dario Argento? Suspiria, Deep Red, Opera Bird with the Crystal Plummage....all good.
my 2 cents[/quote]

I've only seen Suspiria. Not that scary but the music and the lights, wow. I loved it. Highly recommended in my book.

[quote name='controlcommerce'][quote name='guardian_owl']Ahh yes, Stir of Echoes, I remember that, also excellent

For those fans of Dawn of the Dead who have not heard, Anchor Bay is releasing a massive box set featuring 3 different cuts of the film and a 4th disc of extras in September.

4-Disc Box Set Details[/quote]

HOLY SHIT! I don't care if that cost $50, it's mine! The two documentarise are worth it alone.[/quote]

Now there's the good news I was looking for! I passed up on the recent rerelease of Dawn because I had read rumors of a box set. Now that it is true, I can't wait.

And I agree about today's horror films vs. those from 20+ years ago. The special effects today just aren't as well done as they used to be IMO. Just watch the Makeup and Special Effects documentary on the Day of the Dead DVD and you really appreciate how well it used to be done. No computers, just lots of fake skin, clever camera angles, and LOTS of fake blood.

Personally when I was a kid, I grew up with the old Hammer Horror films from the 60's. The ones with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. If you really want to go old school, go for the Horror of Dracula and the Devil Rides out.

I do like some of the other films mentioned on this list: The Thing, Susperia, Evil Dead Trillogy, Dead Alive, Dawn of the Dead.

I can also recommend a Hong Kong horror movie called the "Eye" by a director named Pang. I saw it in the theater last year and its pretty scary.

Also, lets not forget Salems Lot (the one from the late 70's), the Omen, Exorcist, the Shinning, Rosemary's Baby, Nightmare on Elm Street (first one) and Re-Animator.

I had been wanting to see "The Eye" and was finally able to see it on Showtime. I'm sure it would have been scarier if I had gone into the movie cold knowing nothing about it, but I was a bit dissappointed after finally watching it. Still pretty creepy though.

Watch "In the Mouth of Madness", it will scare you down to your core. Also watch "Jacob's Ladder". "In the Mouth of Madness" is scary as f.u.c.k!

The original version of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was great. Suspense filled movie and not nearly as gory as people might think.
The Shining was one of the other movies that creeped me out when I was a kid. Despite how old those films are I think they hold up quite well.

Some other older films I would recommend are Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead (b&w version), Psycho (Hitchcock version), American Werewolf in London, Salem's Lot and Fright Night (don't ask me why, but I liked that movie).
Don't really watch much of the newer stuff (my wife hates horror movies), but after watching those crappy Blair Witch films I haven't been motivated to see much else.

bread's done
Back