good mid range liqour?

tyecko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Hey guys I'm looking to pick up some kind of bottle in the $30 a liter range today but I'm looking for some recommendations. So far I've been told Grey Goose, Crown Royal, Hypnotiq, stuff like that, although I haven't tried any of those. Does anyone recommend those or different ones, I'm looking for more of either a vodka or whiskey.

With Grey Goose you're paying for the name as much as anything else...
Personally, I think Belvedere is the better vodka in that price range...

I second Orion, Grey Goose is just for the name

Whiskey:

Bushmills or the great and classic Jameson

Vodka:

Probably get some flack but I really dig Stolichnaya and Black Death

Both Crown Royal and Grey Goose are overpriced "names".

When you say "whiskey", I'm going to assume you mean bourbon, not Irish or Scotch.. try Jack Daniels Single Barrel.. very smooth, fairly complex, perfect for a bourbon on the rocks.

And don't bother with scotch.. if you aren't spending >$50, dont buy Scotch.

edit - If you're going to mix it.. don't spend $30 a bottle.. there's no need, a $15-20 bottle will do just fine.

titosef2.jpg

If you're looking for a bourbon/sour mash whiskey, don't buy anything you've heard of before. Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey - bullshit.

Look for (in order of preference): Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Blanton's, or Elijah Craig. The first two are what I would highly, highly recommend. Pappy Van Winkle makes a phenomenal bourbon, but it's a little over $30.

For Vodka's, buy a liter of Tito's. Fancy bottles = bullshit. Tito's is phenomenally simple (which you want a vodka to be, unlike bourbons), competitively priced, and has none of the pretensions of a fancy-bottle-vodka.

Be sure to tell us what you buy.

EDIT: Looks like I'm a second late to the "rally the Tito's troops" party. :lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']If you're looking for a bourbon/sour mash whiskey, don't buy anything you've heard of before. Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey - bullshit.

Look for (in order of preference): Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Blanton's, or Elijah Craig. The first two are what I would highly, highly recommend. Pappy Van Winkle makes a phenomenal bourbon, but it's a little over $30.

[/QUOTE]

While I'll agree Wild Turkey is utter rotgut.. I'll also point out Knob Creek, and to some extend Woodford Reserve is quite in the same boat.

The trick is to buy a higher end (e.g. Jack Single Barrel or Jim Beam Black) bourbon. Then you get the smoothness along with the complexity of a bourbon. The four you mention are all very smooth, but at the cost of flavor.. they're all very weak.

I'm going to have to disagree with you, not on basis of opinion (you're allowed to like what you like), but I'm going to call you on on Jack Daniel's. It's not a bourbon, and it tastes nothing like a bourbon. It's a Tennessee Sour Mash whiskey. They're very, very different, IMO. You may as well try to call a scotch a whiskey.

And, to be fair to Wild Turkey, their standard fare *is* for hobos and vagrants, they've entered the small batch market with a respectable product - Wild Turkey Rare Breed, I think it is called. I wouldn't buy it on name alone, but after trying it, they do a very good job (and reinforced that their original product is a bottomshelf wintertime warming agent.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I'm getting so thirsty. Anyone wanna mention some rum besides the different variations of Capt Morgan I always get?[/QUOTE]

Bacardi always does the trick for me.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I'm getting so thirsty. Anyone wanna mention some rum besides the different variations of Capt Morgan I always get?[/QUOTE]

I still have a hard time dealing with this decades-past-being-cool IP, but "Panama Jack" rum is a very good spiced rum. A bit lighter than Captain, IMO. I've also heard good things about Sailor Jerry rum, but I haven't tried it myself.

Caribou Lou

3 parts Bacardi 151
2 parts Malibu Rum
1 part Pineapple Juice

Tatses good as hell, and will get you fuckED UP fast.

[quote name='masked lemon']Caribou Lou

3 parts Bacardi 151
2 parts Malibu Rum
1 part Pineapple Juice

Tatses good as hell, and will get you fuckED UP fast.[/QUOTE] Tech N9ne is always talking about those ... :whistle2:k

im going to disagre with goose. thats one of the few vodkas iv tried and enjoyed and is usuall what i pick up next to tito's when available.

stay away from hypnotic imo its horrible esp if you wanna get a good buzz i get no effects drinking it. I do have a high tolerance, but id imagine getting sick from drinking it too much before i get a buzz

sadly last night my friend introduced me to a new drink ill have to ask him bc it tasted great and hit hard.

shot of choice is still liquid cocaine.
151, jager, rumplemints

Grey Goose is just for the name. You can practically take any kind of vodka, Run it through a Brita Water Filter a couple of times, and it'll be better than most top shelf Vodkas.

I don't understand drinking vodka at all. Its flavorless, the only difference in vodka is how much it does, or doesn't burn going down.

[quote name='musicnoteless']Grey Goose is just for the name. You can practically take any kind of vodka, Run it through a Brita Water Filter a couple of times, and it'll be better than most top shelf Vodkas.[/quote]

I saw that on mythbusters I believe, You have to run it trough there like 8 or 9 times for it to be almost as good as a top shelf vodka...

[quote name='Graystone']I don't understand drinking vodka at all. Its flavorless, the only difference in vodka is how much it does, or doesn't burn going down.[/QUOTE]

All vodkas have flavor. You get it from the filtering process, the water used, and the grain.

Being a bartender i have to dissagree with everyone discounting Grey Goose. That and Grand Mariner are about the only things the French do right besides wines.

You chill a shot of goose and it's like silk going down your throat.

I also am quite fond of Van Gogh and Svedka vodkas.

Rum wise you really can't go wrong with Captain or Bacardi. With Bacardi 8 being excellent.

Gin go for Hendrix if you can find it.

Bourbon i prefer Basil Hayden. Single barrel jack is great too if you like a more herbal taste.

Scotch i only drink Jameson.

And never forget that Jager is fantastic if you keep it in your freezer.

That is all.

[quote name='Deadpool']

You chill a shot of goose and it's like silk going down your throat.
[/QUOTE]

My point exactly vodka has no flavor. If its cheap its bitter, and burns going down. If its good it taste like nothing.

[quote name='Graystone']My point exactly vodka has no flavor. If its cheap its bitter, and burns going down. If its good it taste like nothing.[/QUOTE]
I had a $15 shot of vodka with a Russian guy once, he told me I had to try it and yup its like drinking water but getting fucked up.

Throw my vote in for Tito's. I've tried almost all of the $20-$30 vodkas and prefer Tito's. At least around here, it's actually cheaper that the others worth having.

[quote name='masked lemon']Caribou Lou

3 parts Bacardi 151
2 parts Malibu Rum
1 part Pineapple Juice

Tatses good as hell, and will get you fuckED UP fast.[/QUOTE]

:applause: I think we have a winner.

I LOVE Malibu and Pineapple Juice and have started getting into 151 because of Flaming Dr. Peppers. Now to see a mixture of the 2... yum yum!!! Will try this ASAP! :drool:

bread's done
Back