Good PC companies - please answer asap! XD

Spades22

CAGiversary!
I head gateway, HP, dell and...Sony I think were all good companies. Can someone confirm this or tell me which companies are the good ones because I'm about to buy a computer today lol

They are all good in PC's. In laptops theres a big margin of difference, but in desktops its not that big a deal. Whether you get a Dell, HP, Emachine, or Sony you need to look at specs and upgradeability. They all have fairly crappy support and lots of bloatware on their machines.

Personnaly, I've never been happy with Gateway. I've owned 2, and they were both a real bitch to upgrade. Bottom line, tho, is that when it comes to buying a PC, you usually get what you pay for.

For desktops, dell is great... I wouldn't touch their notebooks though. I recently got a compaq notebook (owned by HP now) and have been very happy with it.

Gateway is alright, I was never overly impressed. I despise working on HP machines. Of those, my top choice for desktops would be Dell, hands down.

Everyone is going to have had a bad experience with one brand or another. I, for example, had a Compaq laptop that was nothing but trouble. The two Dell laptops I have now have been virtually trouble free.

For a consumer desktop, I'd go with Dell or HP/compaq. Dell's have always been pretty good and HP's have been improving.

For a laptop, if you can find one to suit your needs and you have the cash, I'd go with Lenovo (Thinkpad/IBM). The Thinkpad's I've worked on have all been built like tanks. Otherwise, I'd keep an eye on the Dell outlet until you get a good deal on a laptop.

Support is universally mediocre, since we, as consumers, have chosen price over quality and service. At least IBM, Dell and HP give you enough online resources to fix many problems yourself.

bread's done
Back