Good price for a Dreamcast?

Hoffgod

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I've been looking for a while now for a Sega Dreamcast. Recently a new store opened up near my work called Play N Trade that offers Dreamcasts for $21. Is this a good price? I know they go for $25 at GameCrazy.

Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I'm still new at this whole video game collector thing.

EB sells them for $15 but I haven't seen one at any of the EBs I've been to. I'm also looking for one and would have went for one at GC but it was sold when I went to buy it.

[quote name='PINKO']Go Yard Sailing

go to Thrift Stores and pawn shops[/quote]

I wouldn't even bother with that. If you found one there you would save $10 at most and you wouldn't have any guarantee it works like you would at that store. Buy it for $21. Not a bad price and it's a great system. Go to the yard sales and Pawn shops for the games.

Alright, sounds like I should go for the $21 Dreamcast. Thanks for the advice.
They won't be getting some of them in until later this week, so I'll hit it up then. In the meanwhile I'll just Pawn Shop, Thrift Store, and Classic Plastic for DC games.
Thanks, fellow CAGers!

Definitely worth the $21. I bought my Dreamcast a couple months ago from Gamecrazy for $25. I got lucky that it was in great shape.

There are some EB's that do sell Dreamcasts still, but I would be careful about that. Earlier this year I found a Dreamcast at an EB, and they didn't test it. It had a broken laser. Unfortunely I found that out later on when I tested it. Also ask the people working at that place you mentioned, what their return policy is. Just in case it doesn't power up and so on. :)

Definitely worth the money. I just recently traded a bucnh of ps2 and XB games for one and a bunch of games. I just wish it was an older release system, for reasons that need no explanation.

I would defenitely get it. i once saw one at a pawnhsop for $15 as is, no returns. I didn't buy it cause i thought for sure it wouldn't work. i kind of wish i took the chance, i really want one.

I bought one from a really nice CAG who was willing to sell me his for about $21 shipped. I'd say it's a good price, most people (here at least) want around $30-$40 for them and that's only if they aren't bundled. In closing, go for it and make sure it's an early model...because...uhhh...

They can play burned CD games without any mods.

:whistle2:$

[quote name='2Fast']I bought one from a really nice CAG who was willing to sell me his for about $21 shipped. I'd say it's a good price, most people (here at least) want around $30-$40 for them and that's only if they aren't bundled. In closing, go for it and make sure it's an early model...because...uhhh...

:whistle2:$[/QUOTE]

How'd Sega let that happen I don't know.

I paid $40 dollars for sealed Dreamcast. I'm such an idiot I only used it once, should've keep it sealed.

[quote name='suko_32']How'd Sega let that happen I don't know.[/quote]

Well regardless, my dc still gets a decent amount of playtime considering its a last gen console, because of the older model :D

Anyone have an older model DC they'd be willing to trade for a newer with box? I'll even throw in Chef's Luv Shack. :lol::lol:

[quote name='2Fast']I bought one from a really nice CAG who was willing to sell me his for about $21 shipped. I'd say it's a good price, most people (here at least) want around $30-$40 for them and that's only if they aren't bundled. In closing, go for it and make sure it's an early model...because...uhhh...

:whistle2:$[/QUOTE]

All U.S. models can.

[quote name='eldad9']All U.S. models can.[/quote]

Sure about that? I heard from a friend (which of course, is not %100 accurate) that there is a certain distinction.

Actually, I think you have to have some sort of start-up disc to play burned games on later Dreamcasts, right?

[quote name='eldad9']All U.S. models can.[/quote]

Negatory... mine can't, and it's a later model. I had an older model I sold about 4 years ago that played them no problem.

As for identification of if it's a later or early model, old models have a 1 in a circle on the label on the bottom, while later units have a 2.

You need a boot disc to play import games, and pirated non-self-boot discs. Pirated self-boots include boot code and the game.

And did this new dreamcast not play pirated software, imports, both? Did it act the same way when it was new?

I'm probably wrong about all of this - it was thought at some time that only Japanese Dreamcasts removed MIL-CD support, but it looks like newer information is available:
http://www.megagames.com/dc/dc_backup_faq.shtml#6.1

Note: I'm interested in the technical side, not piracy - I have every DC game released in north america, and some EU/JP titles as well.

bread's done
Back