good price on home theater system w/out dvd

cthcky33

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (94%)
i need a good 5.1 system for my living room.

i definately need hd up conversion for my dvds, but i will buy the dvd player seperately unless there is a really good deal for one that includes it

but i am trying to find one around $150-$200, preferably with the taller speakers for the front, or stands for them.

if i were to get one with dvd, are there any out their with HDMI around $250?

any help would be appreciated

[quote name='cthcky33']a good 5.1 system / around $150-$200[/QUOTE]

not gonna happen. maybe used on craigslist, but new....gotta up the investment.

some manufacturers have refurbs, you might wanna try that.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']not gonna happen. maybe used on craigslist, but new....gotta up the investment.

some manufacturers have refurbs, you might wanna try that.[/quote]

maybe i should change good to half way decent

I'm selling a Sony Home Theater system (HT-DDW670) with a separate POWERED subwoofer sony(SA-WM250) for $150 everything mint and with original boxes. Free speaker wallmounting brackets for my fellow CAGs.

save your cash and do it right. you can get a decent speaker package from jbl, like the scs200.7 for like $250-300 and a 7.1 receiver for like $2-300. That is pretty bare bones, but the smaller the speakers, the tinnier sound they make. Small subs, little bass. To do it right, you will drop around $1500 at least for the speakers in a 5.1, that will wow the pants off of any CAG. Polk has some sweet setups for cheap $$$ and outpost.com usually offers their entry level tower speakers for around $119 shipped a pair. They are refurb. drivers, but its no big deal, less break in for you. Two pair, a cheap center channel that is the same size driver as the towers, a cheap sub, you can do that for $600 and then a swwet used receiver.

Forget about the upconvert. dvd. if you get a ps3, it will do it anyway. a scaler for all units is best. it will upconvert your SNES. but you realy dont need an upconverter. if you have an HD TV, the shitty scaler in the DVD player will get downsized, upconverted, then downsized again to fit the native resolution of the TV anyway. thats just how they work. So use component cables on a DVD to your HDTV, it is a marginal difference at best from a DVD that upconverts. Dont belive me, check out avsforum.com or HT magazine blogs from the guy who does these reviews. he is ISF certified, CEDIA certified, and CTS certified. the dude is an AV guru and makes us all looking like fuck.

If you cant do it now, save your cash if you really want the set up. Stash $50/ week, month, what ever, then do it right. Thats what i did and i also did it for my road bike. It will be worth it in the long run and you will have a setup you can own and be PROUD to listen to and showoff for years to come.

Noone ever says, "hey, come listen to this sweet trash in the box i got from Wal-Trash for $79!!!"

Do it right man, your ears will thank you. PM me for questions, ill point you so some sites for cheap seperates if you really want this asap.

If you're looking at HTiB (Home Theatre in a Box) systems, go with Onkyo.. hands down the most bang for your buck. Most HTiB systems have shitty receivers and speakers (many low end HTiB sets don't even have more than one component in if any, most only have one optical in). Onkyo systems have great receivers for the money (often with multiple inputs across the board), powered subs, and larger speakers. They also use wood for the speakers.. much better than typical plastic.

Many DVD/Home Theatre combos have shitty sound quality and very few inputs.. which isn't very good for gaming. If you go the HTiB route, stick to Yamaha or Onkyo if you can. Don't forget that the full cost of the investment isn't just the system itself, but the cables and speaker wire you're going to need (almost all supplied wire in HTiB is shitty and thin gauge.. go with better).

Onkyo doesnt use wood, its called Veneer. it is particle board like Ikea furniture and has a microscopic layer of wood grain on top. but if you are to do something like a trash in the box, listen to the man, Onkyo does make a good entry level product.

You can get some really good systems in the $300-$500 range. You'll just have to shop at local stores and see what they carry, and then look reviews up online. I say go to local stores cause most surrond systems weigh over 100lbs and shipping from a online store will caost as much as the system. Onkyo is always good and they have a few different systems in the $250-$500 range.

I got an Onkyo 7.1 system a couple months back for 400. Actually `300 after selling the ipod dock that came with it. Great system. They use 'real', if smallish, speakers and a fullfledged receiver. If you care at all about sound, I'd either suggest getting a cheap 'fill in' system for less than a hundred bucks, buying an Onkyo HTiB for 300-500, or of course buying the components separately [easily 800 to as much as you want to spend].
We ordered from CircuitCity.com, getting ebates rebate, free in-storepickup, and 24 bucks back since it wasn't ready in 24 minutes [he just gave us an instant refund instead of a gift card].

yep i bought an onkyo 7.1 with speakers and powered 10 inch sub included. this is one bad ass sounding system. ive heard systems from all price ranges and onkyo is at the top with the big boys. you're ears won't be disappointed.

you should just save up for one of these, 5.1 sound out of one speaker, a lil pricey, but it gets rid of all that clutter and hassle
7860558_sa.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7860558&type=product&id=1142302039881

You can't get even halfway decent stuff in that price range. I'd strongly advise against Home Theater In a Box setups for anything other than small rooms (like bedrooms.) You're going to need 3-5 times that price range if you want to get something good with the features you're looking for. It's much better to just do it right rather than get something crappy now.

Save up like others said and get the sound you want. HTiB systems have poor sound in comparison and paticuarly for those with HDMI upconverting DVD players you can get much better upconverting players for suprisingly not that much more cash. Many of them even use propiratery (sp?) style speaker wire like many of Samsung's system, which not only sucks but is a pain to work with. If the wire ever goes bad for any reason you are essentially screwed. Settling on a HTiB system is convienent, I'll give you that, but that's about the only pro they usually have.

[quote name='stnkygrngo'] "hey, come listen to this sweet trash in the box i got from Wal-Trash for $79!!!"[/QUOTE]

haha, funniest thing I read in a while.

Anyway, I strongly recommend not getting a HTIB in that price range. Got one as present for someone, sucked beyond belief, and now it's trash. Trust me, don't waste your money.

When I get one for myself, I'm getting the reciever and a sub. Later I will get two speakers, and then later I will get 3 more. The great part about it is I can pay for as much as I can afford at the moment, and gradually upgrade later (kind of like upgrading a PC), all the while enjoying what I have at the moment.

thanks for the advice guys. i think im gonna go the build it up myself route. i got my dvd player w/hdmi today. im gonna go get a receiver and sub, then just wait a little while and buy some speakers

bread's done
Back