Good TV for XBox360 and PS3

klezmer41

CAGiversary!
I would like to buy some next-gen systems but right now I just have a 27" Sony tube TV. What are good options for TVs or computer monitors that will support as high def as the PS3 will put out, but also not cost me 2 thousand dollars? The TV barrier is the only reason I don't have a 360. Thanks!

Everyone's going to recommend Vizio's and Olevia's by default and leave minor details like quality out of the question so I dunno why I bother... but anyway, what's your price range? More specific than saying less than $2000. Also, what kind of size TV are you looking into getting?

[quote name='Chacrana']:lol:

Good to see you still have a sense of humor even in the absence of our DOA matches.[/QUOTE]

Some days are better than others. It's been very difficult carrying on.

Life without Chacrana is like...salsa that's made of poo and rocks...with tortilla chips that are made out of razor blades.

It depends on a few things. Which 360 are you getting? If you are getting the elite with hdmi, you will want a tv with a couple hdmi inputs at least, but if you are getting the premium, you want a tv that will give you the full resolution over vga. I bought a westinghouse 42" 1080p which will do 1080p over vga and component, since I was getting a premium 360, but it's known to have some handshake issues with the ps3 over hdmi.

I would ask over at the avsforums.

I was hoping to not spend $2,500 on a TV. What are other people doing for a display HD enough for a 360 or PS3? You can't tell me everybody is just going to costco and dropping at least a grand on a TV. Where are kids getting their money these days?!

[quote name='klezmer41']I was hoping to not spend $2,500 on a TV. What are other people doing for a display HD enough for a 360 or PS3? You can't tell me everybody is just going to costco and dropping at least a grand on a TV. Where are kids getting their money these days?![/QUOTE]

Just a thought, but maybe not everyone is a kid? :D

Buy a new TV is a long term investment, and you want something that you are going to be happy with for years to come. That is why its best to do it once and do it right, which usually means picking up something higher end.

[quote name='klezmer41']I would like to buy some next-gen systems but right now I just have a 27" Sony tube TV. What are good options for TVs or computer monitors that will support as high def as the PS3 will put out, but also not cost me 2 thousand dollars? The TV barrier is the only reason I don't have a 360. Thanks![/quote]

I got this one for around $750....

Olevia 537h
http://www.olevia.com/jsp/products/detail.jsp?pid=537h

Awesome TV for the price! I went through about 5 more expensive LCD's before deciding on this one. The price and picture quality can't be beat.

[quote name='gizmogc']How many of these threads do we need?[/quote]

STFU you crybaby. You whine in every thread. Get a life kid

[quote name='Jagwarlord']STFU you crybaby. You whine in every thread. Get a life kid[/QUOTE]

Is this thread rare? Just checking :roll:

[quote name='klezmer41']I was hoping to not spend $2,500 on a TV. What are other people doing for a display HD enough for a 360 or PS3? You can't tell me everybody is just going to costco and dropping at least a grand on a TV. Where are kids getting their money these days?![/QUOTE]

"HD enough for the PS3"-- if by that you mean 1080p, then you will be up in upper-1000s-$2000.

There are cheaper ($700 and below) LCDs right now. I wouldn't recommend going for any of them though. I tried getting a cheap LCD (an olevia) and while HD looked great, SD looked like ass. no exaggeration. So I just found a cheap CRT HD monitor on Craig's list, which I'll hold on to until some of the newer HDTV technology comes out or when some high quality LCDs drop in price. it seems like all the low end HDTVs perform very poorly in some ways, though HD may look good.

It's tempting to go HD right now with these new-fangled systems, but imo, it would be better to wait, unless you are willing to drop 2 grand on a tv.

Like someone else we're not all kids, but if you're serious about buying a TV cost is going to be a factor regardless. In the end though I can tell you, if you really want to pay substantially less than $1000 for anything 32" or bigger your choices are pretty much going to be limited to Vizio, Olevia, etc.

Best Buy has the 42" Westinghouse LCD for $900 or so. Its a WONDERFUL TV with atleast 1 HDMI port. 1080p is nice, but at this point I'd pass on it for being priced a bit too much for not much more in quality.

[quote name='gizmogc']Best Buy has the 42" Westinghouse LCD for $900 or so. Its a WONDERFUL TV with atleast 1 HDMI port. 1080p is nice, but at this point I'd pass on it for being priced a bit too much for not much more in quality.[/QUOTE]

I'll second Westinghouse. we have the 42' and 37' here in the house and couldn't be happier. Feature set is amazing, with countless ports including DVI, VGA, Component, etc. Full 1080p support too. Got min (the 37') for $800 on sale online.

bread's done
Back