Google "Nexus 7" tablet - Nexus 7 (2013) now available

[quote name='KaneRobot']Has anyone heard if this will be available from Amazon (or anywhere other than Google directly)? Not really interested in buying it unless I can use my 50 dollar Amazon credit on it.

It's not up for preorder, don't know if that's because Google wants everyone to order the first batch from them, or if they just don't plan to sell it anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

I posted before that GameStop will be carrying it. I believe it will also come with a Google Play Giftcard, the same as if you bought it from the Google Play Store. Also GameStop wis running a 30% trade in bonus towards the purchase of the Nexus 7. But there is a $50 pre-order minimum. This is what i heard from one of my local GS stores.

[quote name='DCpinoy']I posted before that GameStop will be carrying it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's why I was asking about Amazon. Not interested in dealing with Gamestop.

Thanks though. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Interesting that gamestop will be carrying it. I am debating buying it. I would like to get into android development but it's still a $200-250 chunk of cash for me.

Does it seem like this thing is going to force other "name" manufacturers (Samsung, etc) to get more affordable with their tablets? I really don't know a damn thing about Android tablets in general, but I looked at the Galaxy Tab 2 and it's around the same price for the same screen size (albeit at a lesser resolution) and allows you to use microSD cards, but the base amount of space you get (less than 5GB after bloatware) is pretty weak and the hardware itself doesn't quite stack up power-wise.

[quote name='Clak']The beta for Chrome is already over, still no flash. For whatever reason Google, and I guess Adobe, seem to be siding with Apple on this one, and I don't get why. Like I said Google ,owns Youtube and Youtube still uses flash, it makes no sense. And the final nail in the coffin is that since Adobe is no longer developing the mobile flash player, they're not updating it for 4.1 Jellybean.

So yeah, I'm about to lose flash on my GN when it updates in the near future.[/QUOTE]

Google can't "build flash" into Chrome, because is solely developed by Adobe. Nobody else can develop it. It's proprietary and everybody is dependent on Adobe to do it right. YouTube uses flash, but it works well on mobile devices via HTML5. You can use the YouTube website without Flash - you don't have to use the YouTube app. It works well.

[quote name='crunchewy']Google can't "build flash" into Chrome, because is solely developed by Adobe. Nobody else can develop it. It's proprietary and everybody is dependent on Adobe to do it right. YouTube uses flash, but it works well on mobile devices via HTML5. You can use the YouTube website without Flash - you don't have to use the YouTube app. It works well.[/QUOTE]
Mmm, it's el goog's decision on whether or not their browser will support it. They've made the decision that Android beyond ICS will not support flash. This despite the fact that you can still install the .apk (not from the play store though) and get flash to mostly work with browsers other than Chrome.

[quote name='Clak']Mmm, it's el goog's decision on whether or not their browser will support it. They've made the decision that Android beyond ICS will not support flash. This despite the fact that you can still install the .apk (not from the play store though) and get flash to mostly work with browsers other than Chrome.[/QUOTE]

My understanding was that it was Adobe who decided to stop developing mobile flash. I could be wrong, but that was how I read it. Also I'm sure Google has some or all of the same reservations that Apple had with it, in spite of their early support. So I suppose it could have been the other way 'round - Google tells Adobe they aren't supporting it, so Adobe pulls the plug on it. I don't know.

Adobe decided to stop developing it (whether they were influenced in that decision I don't know), but google decided that Chrome wasn't going to support flash anyway. Yes, it is up to them decide whether or not it will support it, because even with flash installed, it won't work in Chrome that I know of. I still think it was a bone headed move, lots of flash videos still get embedded on sites (like the one we're currently on). They need to hurry and get Youtube to HTML 5 only, if they want to leave flash behind.

Probably they will. It mostly works on HTML5. I think there are still some videos you can't access, but most stuff is there. And for not getting all those annoying ads that pop up on top of the videos, it's totally worth it to view the HTML5 site and leave out some of the videos.

Decided I'm going to get one...now the problem is finding it. I slept on pre-orders and now Staples, Gamestop, Sam's Club, and Google themselves are all backordered. Google guesses 2 weeks for shipping with others slightly longer.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Decided I'm going to get one...now the problem is finding it. I slept on pre-orders and now Staples, Gamestop, Sam's Club, and Google themselves are all backordered. Google guesses 2 weeks for shipping with others slightly longer.[/QUOTE]

fuck google play store. I'm still waiting on any information about my order from July 3rd. People who have ordered July 9th already have it in their hands. What the fuck is this nonsense?! I can't even cancel my order. You can even go on neogaf and hear the same complaints. So my further advice is never order any device on google play.

It's pretty hard to find anywhere right now. Supposedly some Staples already have them, so I may head over there tomrrow morning since it's less than 2 miles away. There are actually two Staples locations in my area already showing it available at "low stock" status, but they're like 35 minutes away so I'll give the local one a shot first.

Here's an article from a few days ago on availability...who knows how accurate this is at this point, though. I just checked and the 8GB version is in stock at the Google Play store, but the 16GB one is 3-4 weeks out.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/12/3154733/nexus-7-availability

I've seen some of those Google Play Store gripes so I'm trying to stay away from that. I'd really like to find it in store to avoid shipping costs, which seems to be 10-13 bucks most places.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sasukekun']Got mine from GameStop. Gonna mess around with it later tonight.[/QUOTE]

Just curious...did you preorder? They did their usual "we have it but only for people who preordered" line in that article I linked to.

Well. Guess I'll be waiting a few months then and hope Asus gets their shit together in the meantime, and all the bad stock is flushed from the retail channel.

This isn't gonna look good for Google. Probably should have partnered with someone a little more experienced in making tablets. I've heard of similar build quality issues with Asus' own tablets in the past.

Asus was never really known for quality products. Slimming down the margins this close has it's consequences. This is one of them.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Just curious...did you preorder? They did their usual "we have it but only for people who preordered" line in that article I linked to.[/QUOTE]

Ya, was originally set to get it on the second wave on 8/7, but got it yesterday. I would've gotten it last Thursday (release day) but I was out of town.

Wound up in a bottomless pit of posts (this thread referenced that thread, which referenced that thead etc) and came across something posted on July 13th where a guy said he spoke to a "tier 2" rep at Google that mentioned possible software bugs related to Wi Fi, as well as the glue issue with the screen metioned a few posts up. Also said they recalled as many as possible and the second wave already corrects the issue. Whether that's true or not, at least they seem to be aware of the issue, so hopefully corrected ones will be showing up sooner than later.

This would probably also explain why some retailers who were expecting them were suddenly hit with an unknown arrival date.

[quote name='dohdough']Asus was never really known for quality products. Slimming down the margins this close has it's consequences. This is one of them.[/QUOTE]
Aactually their mobos are usually some of the best available. I have to admit though, my original Transformer tablet has a similar issue, the back plastic is a little loose on the left landscape side and pops sometimes if I grip it there.

It's starting to hit the enthusiast sites, so hopefully those who have the issue can get it resolved quickly. Stories of people being bounced back and forth between Google and the retailer have already started to pop up. There's a supposed fix in the second article regarding opening it up and tightening some screws.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/18/3168065/nexus-7-suffering-screen-separation-untightened-screws

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/18/nexus-7-suffering-from-dead-pixels-and-lifting-displays/

[quote name='Clak']Aactually their mobos are usually some of the best available. I have to admit though, my original Transformer tablet has a similar issue, the back plastic is a little loose on the left landscape side and pops sometimes if I grip it there.[/QUOTE]

Oh absolutely. But I meant in regards to the rest of the stuff they put their name on. They've been branding products for a long time and most of them are not on par with their motherboards.

[quote name='KaneRobot']It's starting to hit the enthusiast sites, so hopefully those who have the issue can get it resolved quickly. Stories of people being bounced back and forth between Google and the retailer have already started to pop up. There's a supposed fix in the second article regarding opening it up and tightening some screws.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/18/3168065/nexus-7-suffering-screen-separation-untightened-screws

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/18/nexus-7-suffering-from-dead-pixels-and-lifting-displays/[/QUOTE]

I bought mine from Google, and I hear that the hold time for Google "customer service" is an hour or more. I am going to wait for things to settle down. Hopefully Google will acknowledge the extent of the problem and streamline the return process.

[quote name='dohdough']Oh absolutely. But I meant in regards to the rest of the stuff they put their name on. They've been branding products for a long time and most of them are not on par with their motherboards.[/QUOTE]
I'd agree with the exception of their laptops, the EEEPC netbook I had was great, I've heard their ultrabooks are nice too. just seems like the tablets have issues.

[quote name='11440']If you guys haven't ordered yet, you might want to wait a bit. Many people, myself included, are having a problem with the left side of the glass bowing out of the frame.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1770919
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-forum/189933-nexus-7-glass-seperation.html

This seems to be a widespread problem, more than just the usual QC hiccup.[/QUOTE]

This is why I never buy the first batch of a new product (or even first generation products, for that matter).

While I have a Transformer Prime, I'm interested in this series of tablets. If they remain 200 bones, I'll buy one and use it as a calendar.

Have already seen discussion between people who have got Flash going on it, so it's apparently working fine for those willing to follow instructions. Loss of Flash did bug me at first, but I'm kind of over it now anyway.

Staples near me is supposedly going to have them in today. Gotta admit, even with all this build quality bullshit it's tempting to pick one up, I do have a rough time with self-control when it comes to new technology products I'm interested in. Thankfully those only come along every few years.

Self-control failure. :) I just got back with mine. I'm posting from it right now. Yes, it does have the screen issue but truthfully it's so incredibly minor I can honestly say I would likely not have noticed if I hadn't read the threads about it. I've got 14 days to exchange it and/or add the extended warranty.

It's strange because I'm not usually one to put up with even a minor defect (witness me buying and returning 3 HDTVs a few years back), but this is literally next to nothing to be concerned over. I'm sure other people may have it worse than me so I don't fault anyone's outrage, but at least in my case...so far, so good.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Self-control failure. :) I just got back with mine. I'm posting from it right now. Yes, it does have the screen issue but truthfully it's so incredibly minor I can honestly say I would likely not have noticed if I hadn't read the threads about it. I've got 14 days to exchange it and/or add the extended warranty.

It's strange because I'm not usually one to put up with even a minor defect (witness me buying and returning 3 HDTVs a few years back), but this is literally next to nothing to be concerned over. I'm sure other people may have it worse than me so I don't fault anyone's outrage, but at least in my case...so far, so good.[/QUOTE]

I was planning to just deal with it, but I decided that it was too much to overlook. I hold the tablet with my left hand, so every time I pick it up, I can feel the glass give under my thumb and hear the innards creak. I can imagine coming to a different decision if the problem was on the right side.

Question, so what B&M Stores sell this? I wanna grab one this week if possible because I got called back to work and well my job is an office job basically. So I would like to have something to listen to music on/check the web.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Question, so what B&M Stores sell this? I wanna grab one this week if possible because I got called back to work and well my job is an office job basically. So I would like to have something to listen to music on/check the web.[/QUOTE]

Staples and Office Depot for sure. I've heard Best Buy but honestly I'm not sure if that's Best Buy in the US or just Canada. Gamestop too. Staples is the only one that actually had stock today from the places I checked (and that was going quickly). You can check the stock status on Staples' website.

Really want to get back with messing with it but I'm doing a full discharge/recharge and the recharge is taking FOREVER. I used the battery up around noon EST (out of the box it was at around 14%) and it's only now just nearing completion.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Staples and Office Depot for sure. I've heard Best Buy but honestly I'm not sure if that's Best Buy in the US or just Canada. Gamestop too. Staples is the only one that actually had stock today from the places I checked (and that was going quickly). You can check the stock status on Staples' website.

Really want to get back with messing with it but I'm doing a full discharge/recharge and the recharge is taking FOREVER. I used the battery up around noon EST (out of the box it was at around 14%) and it's only now just nearing completion.[/QUOTE]
Ok, I might check Monday at Staples/Gamestop. I have literally 6 Gamestops and 2 staples within driving distance so I am sure one of them should have it. Now to decide whether I want the 8 or 16 gig version.

I'm in the market for a tablet (first one), and I'm torn between this and the Asus TF700. Two pretty different tablets, but I don't need more than one tablet for primarily browsing on the couch and accompanying me for travel. The only thing that's preventing me from pulling the trigger on the Nexus is that I already have a 4.3" Android phone, so I'm not sure the slight upgrade in screen size is worth the price, as sexy as that price is.

Just for the heck of it I tried getting Flash to work. This worked great for me. Very easy. Tested on CNN's site.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...rum/189897-no-flash-got-you-down-try-fix.html

Make sure your device is set to accept apps from unknown sources. Then install an older flash, install a newer flash, install Firefox (in that order). You may not even need to do the old/update to new step, but that's what the guy suggested. And obviously you'll have to use Firefox if you want Flash to work.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Ok, I might check Monday at Staples/Gamestop. I have literally 6 Gamestops and 2 staples within driving distance so I am sure one of them should have it. Now to decide whether I want the 8 or 16 gig version.[/QUOTE]

GS only has the 16GB version.

/edit/
For $50 more, you might as well get the 16GB, it's double the space, and you do not have to worry about filling it up as quickly. Especially since it doesnt have an expansion slot.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sasukekun']GS only has the 16GB version.

/edit/
For $50 more, you might as well get the 16GB, it's double the space, and you do not have to worry about filling it up as quickly. Especially since it doesnt have an expansion slot.[/QUOTE]

They really shouldn't have bothered with the 8GB. It almost seems like a joke to me. I totally understand why they did (mainly to price match the Fire), but unless you're literally using it just for books and web browsing, you're not going to get much out of it, especially when you take into account the chunk of space that is already taken right out of the box. 16 isn't even that much really, but at least you can live with it.

Going to predict that next year we'll only see one model - a 16GB at 200 bucks with an expansion slot...not sure that they'll bother to add a rear camera though. Kind of doubt it.

There's really no reason they should be limiting us like this on storage. The Nexus is primarily geared to be a gateway drug to get hooked into the Google Play ecosystem (even if I don't view it that way personally). If they let us double the memory with a SD slot, that's more space for customers to use for their content. Not everyone wants to delete stuff and just redownload it later if they are low on space.

[quote name='sasukekun']GS only has the 16GB version.

/edit/
For $50 more, you might as well get the 16GB, it's double the space, and you do not have to worry about filling it up as quickly. Especially since it doesnt have an expansion slot.[/QUOTE]
Yeah gonna grab a 16 GB tomorrow considering a store has it which they should. I played with one over the weekend at Staples and yeah I fell in love with it. I used to use a Nook Color rooted as a tablet but the joke battery life and no power to it turned me off.

I need something I can just listen to music on at work during the day and this sounds like it will do the job. I was using an iPod touch but the battery is starting to show age and it wont even get a full day on a charge now.

Also do Gamestops sell this B&M at the moment? I wanna grab one tomorrow if possible.

Staples near here told me they didn't sell it and didn't know if they ever would. Why the hell would you put it in this week's ad if not all the stores have them, or even a display for that matter.

About the storage space, the 8gb model is intended to be used heavily with cloud storage, it's just what google is trying to push. in fact, they thought the 8gb version would be the most popular model ordered straight from them, but it turned out to be the 16gb version, that's why the 16gb is sold out in the play store right now. They underestimated demand for the 16gb model. Personally I'd rather get the 8gb model, because $50 is just too much for an extra 8gb of storage space. The price breakdown I was reading showed the extra flash memory cost less than $8 I believe.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Yeah gonna grab a 16 GB tomorrow considering a store has it which they should. I played with one over the weekend at Staples and yeah I fell in love with it. I used to use a Nook Color rooted as a tablet but the joke battery life and no power to it turned me off.

I need something I can just listen to music on at work during the day and this sounds like it will do the job. I was using an iPod touch but the battery is starting to show age and it wont even get a full day on a charge now.

Also do Gamestops sell this B&M at the moment? I wanna grab one tomorrow if possible.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but they are incredibly hard to find if you didn't pre-order it. Last I checked, you could still pre-order it, but it isnt expected in until 9/30 (most likely come in before that). I know my store has 3 reserved, but one is an employee, and the other is being held for a customer who's picking up later on the week, and the 3rd one, we are waiting on the next shipment.

Grabbed the last one at my Staples. I love this thing, it does everything I want it to, and the screen size is just right. It's also way faster than my iPod touch, and the screen size is perfect for browsing the web.

I got the basic apps installed, but I am letting it charge fully now before I hook it up to my PC. I just really love the speed and power this thing has and it will increase my productivity with the twitter and facebook apps because I wont need to spend a lot of time going through my feeds.

Now to look for different apps I might like later.

No offense, but spending less time with twitter and facebook would probably increase your productivity more.;)

[quote name='Clak']No offense, but spending less time with twitter and facebook would probably increase your productivity more.;)[/QUOTE]
True but to check facebook before I was using firefox and firefox was making facebook slow as hell for me. Now I can literally browse like half a day worth of status updates in like a minute then get back to work. Where in firefox previously it would have taken me like 3-5 minutes.

Plus the twitter widget lists the latest post which I could just press the next arrow on the widget so I can easily just browse the last 2-3 posts while I change the song on my tablet or something.

FWIW the screen "issue" is the exact opposite of what everyone thinks it is. It isn't that the screen is coming up on the left of the units I've seen, rather the silver edging on that side isn't straight and actually is bent downwards a little in the middle. Whatever plastic mold they used to make that silver ribbon, it isn't coming out perfectly straight on the left edge giving the appearance that the screen is coming up when in fact the screen just doesn't want to awkwardly bend down to compensate for this minor flaw.

And none of the units I've held have had any sort of "creaking".

Still the best tablet on the market period. Way way waaaaaaaay better than any iShit.

[quote name='Nogib']FWIW the screen "issue" is the exact opposite of what everyone thinks it is. It isn't that the screen is coming up on the left of the units I've seen, rather the silver edging on that side isn't straight and actually is bent downwards a little in the middle. Whatever plastic mold they used to make that silver ribbon, it isn't coming out perfectly straight on the left edge giving the appearance that the screen is coming up when in fact the screen just doesn't want to awkwardly bend down to compensate for this minor flaw.

And none of the units I've held have had any sort of "creaking".

Still the best tablet on the market period. Way way waaaaaaaay better than any iShit.[/QUOTE]

I'll never understand the polarity that is caused by Apple and other companies. People claim its either the most amazing thing on the planet or is a huge pile of crap. You ever held an Ipad? Its far from "iShit." You may not like Apple or their products, but it makes your argument sound ridiculous. I actually enjoy both tablets. Each has their positives and their negatives for the purposes I use them for. But, to each his/her own I suppose.

I'm still torn, ultimately I would prefer it if an OEM came out with a similar tablet, but with video out and an SD slot. Then again, it would probably cost a fair bit more too.

[quote name='Clak']I'm still torn, ultimately I would prefer it if an OEM came out with a similar tablet, but with video out and an SD slot. Then again, it would probably cost a fair bit more too.[/QUOTE]
You just have to think about what you are going to use the tablet for. If your going to use it primarly as a MP3 player, or videos that you put on your device, then I would recommend against it. Maybe even heavy gaming I might say against it because of the size.

If your looking for a cheap device that will basically stream content or light office work, then this is a great choice. It does better as a streaming device, instead of mp3 player. Now on the other hand, most apps don't take up much space, maybe between 2 and 15 megs on average. Stuff like games or that are download heavy can vary.

It's a great device and while it doesn't have an SD card slot, it's still a damn fine machine.

bread's done
Back