Google Play Music All Access (Music Subscription Service)

headpiece747

CAGiversary!
Feedback
186 (100%)
So I have always bought my music because I listen to mostly independent hip-hop and like to support the smaller artist. But with the subscription services popping up from Zune now Xbox Music, Spotify, Rapshody and etc. I always wanted to try one to be able to listen to more albums when I can't buy everything I want. So Google announced their music sub at their I/O conference and it made me pull the trigger. So far I am really like how I can upload my personal collection and listen on any computer or device that supports, offline play and streaming countless albums. I think after my free trial I will get for the $7.99 a month and end my Drip.fm/stonesthrow account because I don't get as much for their $9.99. What do you guys think or is it lacking if you have tried it and other subs?

Can you make a "virtual library" of albums? Spotify is great, but the only way I can do this is an unsorted list of playlists, one per album. That sucks. Google Play Music isn't really an option for me now because I don't think it's supported on iOS, but they have brought over their other stuff and I'm sure they like money, so it's just a matter of time. But I won't switch unless it has stuff like that.

I've used Spotify in the past; I currently use Mog. At the time I made the switch, Mog had the best sound quality. I've been meaning to give Spotify another shot and will check out Google Music.

Mog has a decent amount of underground hip-hop. Some pretty obscure stuff. I'm pretty sure the artists get royalties per play, but I'm not too plugged in to the business side of it.

I've been uploading my music to Google Cloud over the past couple months. It's not perfect (Album titles don't scroll so they get cut off "The Complete Bitches Brew Sess.....)

You can't scroll via letter (Typing in R doesnt bring up all the artists starting with R), you have to use your finger like a wheel to spin down to the R'.s

It get stuck on repeat for some reason.

They recently upgraded the style/look of the App too with the addition of this all access feature. It was just stark black backgrounds with little album art.

Now it's these giant banners, and alot of it is wrong or doesnt match.

This Air
MI0003440181.jpg
[/IMG]

Isn't the same as the Air that I've uploaded.

MI0002805437.jpg

I can't see uploading music at all. I just want to be able to create a virtual library that I can browse and pick something form to listen to. Ideally it would let me automatically create a virtual library from my iTunes library, then add anything else I want. Spotify doesn't do anything like this, manual or automatic. Maybe Apple will have something better with their rumored service.

[quote name='crunchewy']I can't see uploading music at all. I just want to be able to create a virtual library that I can browse and pick something form to listen to. Ideally it would let me automatically create a virtual library from my iTunes library, then add anything else I want. Spotify doesn't do anything like this, manual or automatic. Maybe Apple will have something better with their rumored service.[/QUOTE]

You've got to "upload" your music so they can verify you have it on your computer.

I use both amazon cloud ($25) and google music. ($0) and I find myself using amazon cloud more simply because their iOS app is better. As it one exists.

The unofficial google one that unpaid 99 cents for kinda sucks. It worked fine at first but I guess couldn't keep up with the updates.

Well, I've got 700+ CDs. Uploading them all to the cloud so I can take my music with me anywhere is the easiest solution. How else would I listen to all this?

(Although I realized when I was going through my collection to upload it, there was stuff I hadn't listened to in years, as well as a few duplicates)

You don't need to upload music for a Spotify-like service - you don't need to own any of the music you play on Spotify so your iTunes library could even be fakes somehow. It doesn't matter. I just want it to send all the artists/albums titles up that I own, and then make them virtually available to me in a browsable/sortable library, so that I don't have to store them on my iPhone. And then I add other stuff I don't own to the virtual library too.

Well, you can upload the physical copies of music you own to Google Play.

Then you can add songs you don't own to your library with the new All Access feature.

What's so confusing?

I'm rocking it for at least the trial period. The only way I could see paying the subscription fee long term is if it gets integrated into more devices and mobile networks become far more reliable.

[quote name='crunchewy']Can you make a "virtual library" of albums? Spotify is great, but the only way I can do this is an unsorted list of playlists, one per album. That sucks. Google Play Music isn't really an option for me now because I don't think it's supported on iOS, but they have brought over their other stuff and I'm sure they like money, so it's just a matter of time. But I won't switch unless it has stuff like that.[/QUOTE]

What you can do is see if the albums you want are in Google Music and then add them to your library and they will be there virtually and you can use the "Keep on Device" so it can be played offline. I think that is what you mean.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']I've used Spotify in the past; I currently use Mog. At the time I made the switch, Mog had the best sound quality. I've been meaning to give Spotify another shot and will check out Google Music.

Mog has a decent amount of underground hip-hop. Some pretty obscure stuff. I'm pretty sure the artists get royalties per play, but I'm not too plugged in to the business side of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Google Music has alot of underground hip-hop because that is primally what I listen to and I have found all the new releases plus so others I could not find anywhere else to buy digitally like, "Screwball - Y2K" with my favorite song from the group HOSTYLE.

Instead of using such high cost monthly music service I like to browse for free music on sites like YouTube. Many artist also allow there music to be downloaded for free like Pretty lights in the electronica hip hop genre. His latest song "Around
the Block" is fast rising in popularity charts. You can find their new single on YouTube.

[quote name='Kickahole88']Instead of using such high cost monthly music service I like to browse for free music on sites like YouTube. Many artist also allow there music to be downloaded for free like Pretty lights in the electronica hip hop genre. His latest song "Around
the Block" is fast rising in popularity charts. You can find their new single on YouTube.[/QUOTE]

I don't use YouTube for music but for music videos of artists and it is hard to find full albums and buffer problems. I do agree that artist that put out free albums/mixtapes is great and I have found a lot of good artist that way. I will continue to buy music and support artists but this helps my budget like I did with cutting cable and going with netflix.

P.S. That Pretty Light song is dope and you can't go wrong with Talib Kweli on the track. Thanks for getting me some new music.

[quote name='eldergamer']Well, you can upload the physical copies of music you own to Google Play.

Then you can add songs you don't own to your library with the new All Access feature.

What's so confusing?[/QUOTE]

It's not confusing, it's that I don't want to spend all that time (as shown by your own efforts), uploading music when I have absolutely no interest nor need to do that. If the music is available from a Spotify-like service, you don't need to actually upload the tracks. That's a massive waste of time and effort (and resources).

It sounds like Google's service does do this. Well, it doesn't read my iTunes library and automatically fill out my virtual library (without actually uploading tracks), which is too bad, but it sounds like it lets you have a virtual library. If so then I just need them to make an iOS app and I'll be on board and drop Spotify.

[quote name='crunchewy']It's not confusing, it's that I don't want to spend all that time (as shown by your own efforts), uploading music when I have absolutely no interest nor need to do that. If the music is available from a Spotify-like service, you don't need to actually upload the tracks. That's a massive waste of time and effort (and resources).

It sounds like Google's service does do this. Well, it doesn't read my iTunes library and automatically fill out my virtual library (without actually uploading tracks), which is too bad, but it sounds like it lets you have a virtual library. If so then I just need them to make an iOS app and I'll be on board and drop Spotify.[/QUOTE]

I am fairly certain an ios app is not coming. When Google music initially launched 2 years back they attempted to launch an ios app and it got rejected from the app store.

so far the google music library is good. The web interface works well and the music selection is good. I'll try it for a bit.

bread's done
Back