Goozex 50% off Points Sale

dragon_image18

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/shop.asp?code=G&ref=www.cheapassgamer.com

Sale ends Dec 31.

50% off gift cards. Send one to yourself and forget about flipping games for points.

Gift card: 500 Goozex points + 5 trade credits $ 15.00 save 50%!
Gift card: 1000 Goozex points + 5 trade credits $ 27.50 save 50%!
Gift card: 2000 Goozex points + 5 trade credits $ 52.50 save 50%!
Gift card: 3500 Goozex points + 10 trade credits $ 92.50 save 50%!
Gift card: 5000 Goozex points + 20 trade credits $ 135.00 save 50%!
Gift card: 1000 Goozex points $ 25.00 save 50%!
Gift card: 2000 Goozex points $ 50.00 save 50%!

Feel free to delete if this is a re-post. I couldn't find it in the search.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the price changed or am I missing something?

500 points no longer on sale witht he 5 trade credits..

Gift card: 500 Goozex points + 5 trade credits $ 30.00

[quote name='rickonker']:wall:

This is totally wrong. You say this will keep the system and value of points stable, and things will "deflate". In reality, it makes the system unstable and leads to inflation.[/quote]

But he makes an excellent point. Goozex isn't a closed system ... games traded on Goozex don't always come from other Goozex trades; they usually come from purchases made outside the system (Gamestop, Target, Best Buy, etc.).

I've never bought points from Goozex. None of my friends who use the site have either. So the only major way points are introduced into the system is with the free points at signup and the referral bonuses (100 pts each).

For two weeks, I think this is a good way to help stabilize the currency. I wouldn't think that if it was a year-round deal.

You people are looking at this thing way to complexly (if that's a word :)). The simple fact is, this will increase the number of people who have points, but will *not* increase the number of games available. This will increase the number of people who can afford to buy games, particularly, the higher priced games.

The question is, will these extra points be spent on games that are already available but no one is buying, or will people attempt to use the points on games that already have a long queue. If it's the former, that could be beneficial as more sellers will be getting rid of the games they want to sell. However, if the point-buyers are not able to get games they want, they will have no incentive to sell more games as they already have points that are essentially "worthless" to them. That could further restrain supply.

The better incentive (to spur the market) would have been to offer a % bonus on newly offered games. For example, Fable 2 would still cost 1000 points to buy, but the seller would recieve 1250 points. This still increases the points in the hands of potential buyers, but is also an incentive for sellers to bring their items to the market, thus increasing the product available for purchase (trade).

It's not like the point value means anything to Goozex. They make their money on trades. That's why it makes even more sense to give extra incentive to sellers to bring their more sought after games to the market.

But if there are more sellers than buyers for a game, they should offer no incentive and should drop the value of the game to increase demand/restrain supply.

[quote name='Snake2715']Looks like the price changed or am I missing something?

500 points no longer on sale witht he 5 trade credits..

Gift card: 500 Goozex points + 5 trade credits $ 30.00[/quote]

Yeah now you either get 500 points + 5 trade credits for $30 or 1000 points + 5 trade credits for $27.50. Weird sale.

I gave in and got two of the 1000 points + 5 trade credits for $27.50. I'd rather pay $2.50 more and get the extra 5 trade credits than just getting the 2000 + 5.

[quote name='hostyl1']You people are looking at this thing way to complexly (if that's a word :)). The simple fact is, this will increase the number of people who have points, but will *not* increase the number of games available. This will increase the number of people who can afford to buy games, particularly, the higher priced games.

The question is, will these extra points be spent on games that are already available but no one is buying, or will people attempt to use the points on games that already have a long queue. If it's the former, that could be beneficial as more sellers will be getting rid of the games they want to sell. However, if the point-buyers are not able to get games they want, they will have no incentive to sell more games as they already have points that are essentially "worthless" to them. That could further restrain supply.

The better incentive (to spur the market) would have been to offer a % bonus on newly offered games. For example, Fable 2 would still cost 1000 points to buy, but the seller would recieve 1250 points. This still increases the points in the hands of potential buyers, but is also an incentive for sellers to bring their items to the market, thus increasing the product available for purchase (trade).

It's not like the point value means anything to Goozex. They make their money on trades. That's why it makes even more sense to give extra incentive to sellers to bring their more sought after games to the market.

But if there are more sellers than buyers for a game, they should offer no incentive and should drop the value of the game to increase demand/restrain supply.[/quote]

I think that's a great idea. The Goozex system is simply flawed as it exists. As the market gets flooded with one particular game (say GTA IV) the value of that game should head to the floor. And people who have brand new games, should get a little extra incentive to trade those games in. Why should I trade my brand new copy of say 'Fallout 3', when its market value is the same as Soul Calibur IV that's been out for a few months. It just doesn't make sense.

Anyhow, I'm sure that I'm not pointing out a new flaw, but somethign that's been a problem for a long time.
I haven't been a member for a long time, but I can see the problem...

[quote name='hostyl1']You people are looking at this thing way to complexly (if that's a word :)). The simple fact is, this will increase the number of people who have points, but will *not* increase the number of games available. This will increase the number of people who can afford to buy games, particularly, the higher priced games.

But if there are more sellers than buyers for a game, they should offer no incentive and should drop the value of the game to increase demand/restrain supply.[/quote]

Well said.

I think any way to help stimulate Goozex is a good thing - it's like the federal government modifying interest rates.

[quote name='hostyl1']It's not like the point value means anything to Goozex. They make their money on trades. [/QUOTE]

They make money on trades, but they make even more money this way. They're essentially selling products that they don't even own. They're collecting the money, but someone else is giving up the item. It is a completely broken model.

Yea, the very fact that you can buy Goozex Points from Goozex breaks the whole system. Goozex is taking your money without directly giving you any goods or services in exchange.

I've been a member for awhile now but I'm not going to send any more of my games out. The whole idea behind Goozex seems flawed when you think about it. Lots of people want new games, not many want old games. But everyone wants to trade in their old games to get new releases. Not sustainable. It takes three to six months to get any new release unless you're up on midnight of the release date, in which case after pounding F5 for awhile you'll wind up around 10-60th in line and still have to wait 1-2 months anyway.

I think I'm going to go back to Gamefly. I'll now have Zune Pass for music, Netflix for movies, and Gamefly for games.

[quote name='Aleman']Yea, the very fact that you can buy Goozex Points from Goozex breaks the whole system. Goozex is taking your money without directly giving you any goods or services in exchange.[/quote]

They have got to pay for the website and forums somehow.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']They have got to pay for the website and forums somehow.[/quote]

Yea, but they already have other ways of doing that without breaking the system. Like through raking in a little from every transaction--same as eBay/Amazon Marketplace/etc.

[quote name='Aleman']Yea, but they already have other ways of doing that without breaking the system. Like through raking in a little from every transaction--same as eBay/Amazon Marketplace/etc.[/quote]

I don't see how they are breaking the system.

Not everyone buys points so they can get in line for a game like GoW 2, not everyone wants the most in demand games.

It's an easy way for people to get points without needing to trade a game. Especially if it's a new person who only has games that there is a long wait of people wanting to get rid of the same game. This person wants to get a game that is 500 points and isn't in demand. Person buys points, then requests game. The seller finally gets rid of the game and gets their points for said game.

Basically you are saying "oh well if you don't have any decent games to trade, then don't go on Goozex". That would be an even worse business model than them selling points, at least that promotes more members. You may have someone getting into video games for the first time ever or the first time since the Sega Gensis days. They don't have any games to trade, but they want to get some.

They can buy 1000 points and use those points to get a bunch of good, cheap priced games that are slow to move because not that many people request them. And if that person becomes an active gamer, they will get more and more games to trade on the site.

More active members in the long run = more active trades = more active games.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool'] They don't have any games to trade, but they want to get some.
[/quote]

Then they shouldn't be starting out at a game trading site.

[quote name='jeremy517']They make money on trades, but they make even more money this way. They're essentially selling products that they don't even own. They're collecting the money, but someone else is giving up the item. It is a completely broken model.[/quote]

Thank you! This IS the inherent flaw in goozex.

[quote name='veronesepk']Thank you! This IS the inherent flaw in goozex.[/quote]

Listen, it is GOOZEX'S CURRENCY. You're basically TRADING YOUR CASH FOR POINTS. It's a transaction...you give them money, they give you points. It's simple, only morons would dispute that.

Selling points is like..well, a bailout. Or a tax rebate. (even though we pay for it.) Perhaps trades have been slow, so by injecting the Goozex economy with cheap "dollars" (points), they can get stuff moving a little more.
I've actually had good luck trading my older to midrange stuff, though I'm way down the list on my Request list. But most of them are very new, in -demand titles.
I'm fine on points, but I am running low on trade credits, I might pick some up later (no money now) (unless they change the sale again).
I'll admit I am a little worried, if the site goes down and I have a balance in points, that basically means I've lost a bunch of money....but hopefully they won't go down, or they'll give notice...of course if they do that, no one would trade anything anymore since they wouldn't be able to spend their points.....

[quote name='jeremy517']They make money on trades, but they make even more money this way. They're essentially selling products that they don't even own. They're collecting the money, but someone else is giving up the item. It is a completely broken model.[/quote]

Please explain how this affects the system. The person who is "giving up" the item is still getting the same amount of points that they planned on collecting in the first place, which can be used on other items within the site.

I think you're really just protesting that Goozex, as a middle man, is profiting off the system they've established. But I don't see how that breaks the model.

I think you all are just reading too much into this. Selling points gets them more cash, which means they are more likely to stay in business (unless it's a snatch and grab), which means my points are less likely to become worthless in the future. I have problems with them, but this is not one of them.

Let's say Goozex only has two members. Member one buys points from Goozex and uses them to get a game from member two. Member two now has some Goozex points, Goozex has the money, and member has the game. Clearly member two loses out since he has nothing of real value... if member one never buys another game and offers it for trading then member two will be stuck with points that are good for nothing.

This underlying problem will always be there, even though it may not be obvious since there are so many members.

The only value in the system is the games. The only real way to inject value into the system is for people to buy a game from outside the system and offer it up for trading.

So basically Goozex is pointless since it's not really trading. It's just another online marketplace disguised as a "trading" site that lures people in with the promise of lower middleman fees. The points system only serves to distort the true market value of games, which no algorithm that Goozex has developed will be able to accurately predict. And now they're screwing with the points system...

Time to bail out.

Economically, what's happening here is a demand side jolt...the equivalent to those $600 tax refunds everyone was given recently. By selling points they make more 'buyers' of games.

Selling points is actually necessary - cause how else are you going to create points? Everyone starts with 100 points, but it costs 1000 for the top games....they could easily sell 500 or more for every active user, without hurting anything. Over time you have more and more points just sitting in people's accounts, or in dormant accounts, etc - doing nothing in the market. Selling points stimulates the economy, and should help everyone....so long as it's not overdone.

Another important thing to note here is that all pricing is regulated. It's not like you can have real inflation of deflation. The market prices are based largely on the retail price of the game, and seem (wisely) to have little to do with Goozex user's supply/demand. The worst case scenario is that the supply side dries up (people stop posting their games), and that could plausibly be caused if people get the sense that they will never get games (because there are too many other buyers).....they'd have to sell quite a bit of points though.

They seem to recognize the danger of the supply side drying up, because they keep point levels a little higher than the going retail price on games. This is what entices the supply side...the person who offers games. Goozex would actually benefit thru more sales if they kept the point price low. They also avoid any kind of 'bid up' pricing on games, where users can set or bid at different prices. This type of thing would make the market more volatile, and prone to serious supply side issues.

The real danger to Goozex, long term, is if the whole game resale market starts to wane - like if the next gen consoles are all 100% digital download. Markets typically do best with constant expansion (new customers), and a downturn would be tough.

FWIW, IMO....it's not a Ponzi scheme. Every market is bound to fail or fall hard eventually (look at your 401k statement or the value of your home), but Goozex, based on personal experience, seems to be as healthy as any other. You put your faith into the owners, but they have more to gain with stability.

Wouldn't it really be better if they gave temporary bonuses to trade values? Like an extra percentage when you send something. Kinda like Gamestop does with trade in bonuses.That would encourage people to actually list and send things.

I don't even use the site so i don't really care, just saying.

You're right, a temporary bonus would seem prudent right now. Given that this deal ends on Dec. 31, it would be smart for Goozex to offer some sort of temporary trade bonus starting on Jan. 1 for those offering up games. They could market it as a New Year's celebration event and as a way to dump some of the games that people got for Christmas and didn't like. I don't know if they did anything like this last year or not, but it seems like the obvious next step. A 100-200 point bonus from them for high demand 1000 pt games would be a good start to encourage trading. At least this would allow them to contribute something back to the system.

[quote name='hostyl1']How did you access this information? That is, how can I look up on the site what games are most ready to be traded?[/quote]

Go to a game's detail page, on the left-hand side (still in the blue section) click on "trading info". The numbers in the blue column are ready to go, the black "active" column are people who want the game, but don't have enough points or enough trade credits or open trade slots to get another one ATM.

For instance, NinjaTown DS: 21 people are actively requesting it, but only 13 are able to receive it. 0 people have it available to trade. Seems strange, since it's been on sale for $10-$15, but yields $32.50 in GoozexBucks (650 points)

RE: $15 package no longer on sale
This tells me that Goozex somewhat knows what they're doing, as opposed to letting the market overflood with points. They've probably allocated a set amount of each package at 50% off without mentioning it (a la Amazon).

[quote name='Kerig']RE: $15 package no longer on sale
This tells me that Goozex somewhat knows what they're doing, as opposed to letting the market overflood with points. They've probably allocated a set amount of each package at 50% off without mentioning it (a la Amazon).[/quote]

This is a strong possibility. It all comes back to the fact though , that despite the points being a "good deal" most goozex users don't EVER buy points. They use the site to get rid of older games for better values then GS and turn around to get other games. If they were just going to buy the points , what would be the advantage of using goozex over buying from GS other than more consistency in quality?

I admit that probably over half of my lifetime account points were purchased , not traded for , but on the other hand , about half of the games I've requested were all older last gen titles that weren't going anywhere anyway. So by me buying the points , I can help someone else offload games that aren't moving , and help them get something they want. It's not like the supply of used games are just going to suddenly dry up or else GS would have something to worry about.

I like Goozex a lot. Been using it since the summer. I've got a shit load of 360 games and most of them I have in hold trade status.. What I do is burn through (I say burn but usually it takes forever) the highest point ones (or ones currently in demand).

Then by the time I'm done with them I'm already quite close to next line. As soon as I activate it 2-3 days it's gone.

Now to get games, of course I have my 10 games on hold. I also have 3-5 older rare games that I've been waiting for that slowly progress.

As soon as I get a newer game, one that I know I'm gonna dump (examples Alone in the Dark, Bourne Conspiracy) I put them on my hold list. I've dumped some and only been out the $1 trade credit.

The only problem with Goozex, and I've complained about this and everyone tells me off. There's no other like it, so there is no online game trading site competition (sure you can say ebay, trading here etc) No I mean something like what Goozex does.

Without a competetor it just sits status quo, it's not "improved". Someone mentioned "older games like COD2". It ain't because no one wants that game, it's because noone wants it at that price. That's one of the many point broken games.

If the points changed like they should COD2 should be 100 to 150 points and then you'd see them go away. Another problem like someone stated is selling 100 point games.

After shipping, materials etc, you're only really seeing $1 for that 100 points. You'd be better off keeping all your 100 point games and buying points. Especially now with this deal.

All I know is that I've gotten a lot of good games from Goozex (new and old), I've saved a lot of money and I've gotten rid of games at decent values using their system. I like Goozex and have complete faith in their system. Given the large number of transactions taken place on the site, it seems other feel the same way. I don't see Goozex going away or falling under anytime soon.

[quote name='Skelix']Without a competetor it just sits status quo, it's not "improved". Someone mentioned "older games like COD2". It ain't because no one wants that game, it's because noone wants it at that price. That's one of the many point broken games.

If the points changed like they should COD2 should be 100 to 150 points and then you'd see them go away. Another problem like someone stated is selling 100 point games.

After shipping, materials etc, you're only really seeing $1 for that 100 points. You'd be better off keeping all your 100 point games and buying points. Especially now with this deal.[/quote]

To site your COD2 example , part of the reason the price isn't coming down on it is cause some people ARE still requesting it at that price. Not many but a few. As far as I can tell , the system usually doesn't start reducing the price of games until either there are no active request , or only hold requests. I can't say for certain though.

[quote name='dchrisd']All I know is that I've gotten a lot of good games from Goozex (new and old), I've saved a lot of money and I've gotten rid of games at decent values using their system. I like Goozex and have complete faith in their system. Given the large number of transactions taken place on the site, it seems other feel the same way. I don't see Goozex going away or falling under anytime soon.[/quote]

My 70 games traded out and 250 games traded for/bought agree with you.

[quote name='dchrisd']All I know is that I've gotten a lot of good games from Goozex (new and old), I've saved a lot of money and I've gotten rid of games at decent values using their system. I like Goozex and have complete faith in their system. Given the large number of transactions taken place on the site, it seems other feel the same way. I don't see Goozex going away or falling under anytime soon.[/quote]

word, goozex has done me good and I've gotten a lot of "outside" games that I've brought in to trade out to people wanting it. and I've gotten great games back.

if you notice goozex has been sending out alot of games lately (im new so i dont know if this is a regular thing), if people arnt buying points at regular price then they should put them on sale. im sure there not stupid and are buying the cheapest games they can find with high trade values just like the rest of us.

[quote name='arsennel']if you notice goozex has been sending out alot of games lately (im new so i dont know if this is a regular thing), if people arnt buying points at regular price then they should put them on sale. im sure there not stupid and are buying the cheapest games they can find with high trade values just like the rest of us.[/quote]

Goozex doesn't send out the games , its users do.

Got the 1000 points + 5 trade credits anyone got any suggestions for games that cost like 600-700 points that are pretty good?

[quote name='StarKnightX']Goozex doesn't send out the games , its users do.[/QUOTE]

Goozex itself engages in trading games and introducing new games into the system, most likely with money gained from points sales. I'm not saying they spend all the money they get from sales on games to put back into the system, but I think they're aware of the delicate economics involved and try to balance everything out.

Goozex's trading profile

[quote name='btw1217']Goozex itself engages in trading games and introducing new games into the system, most likely with money gained from points sales. I'm not saying they spend all the money they get from sales on games to put back into the system, but I think they're aware of the delicate economics involved and try to balance everything out.

Goozex's trading profile[/quote]

For all the times I've seen that it never clicked in my head that the company was introducing new games into the system that way. Makes sense but I never really thought about it. Silly me.

[quote name='Kerig']Go to a game's detail page, on the left-hand side (still in the blue section) click on "trading info". The numbers in the blue column are ready to go, the black "active" column are people who want the game, but don't have enough points or enough trade credits or open trade slots to get another one ATM.[/quote]

Thanks muchly!!!:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

[quote name='btw1217']Goozex itself engages in trading games and introducing new games into the system, most likely with money gained from points sales. I'm not saying they spend all the money they get from sales on games to put back into the system, but I think they're aware of the delicate economics involved and try to balance everything out.

Goozex's trading profile[/quote]

sweet didn't know this. pretty rockin!

Few more things on that...

First RudyPants who gives a shit what we talk about in this thread, whether its how Goozex works, or wow what a cool deal. You got the deal name in the title.

StarKnight you'd think, but its been since I started been at 350 points, in fact I think it may have been 300!

But I've had games in my queue that I wanted, had points creds etc at 1k and it burned through the people before me (I get matched up with a lot of people before me due to them not having points etc) and was able to get it for 900. Numerous times I've done this.

So the points still drop even if there are actives waiting.

The Goozex account is just a user like us who plays games, remember it was created by gamers for gamers, I don't think he's in it to be rich.

But there are games that are screwed up and they don't get fixed COD2 was an example and hmm what was the other one on my list... oh Unreal Championship for 200! It's like a 1.99 game, been 200 since the summer. Most people deleted it off their list as it was a long wait (number traded has not gone up).

My point is its far from as good as it good be, it's just laziness as far as I'm concerned.

New games starting at 900 bah that's shit. No incentive to be the first to trade your game, wait 2 weeks for $10 more!

[quote name='StarKnightX']For all the times I've seen that it never clicked in my head that the company was introducing new games into the system that way. Makes sense but I never really thought about it. Silly me.[/quote]

They are introducing games, but not "new" games. The Goozex account (if it's even really an account on behalf of the owners) has only done 127 trades, with 125 of them going out, most of which were lower end games. True, this puts games into the system with the points appearing to go unused (only two trades in which games came to the Goozex user account), this isn't nearly enough influx of new games to make a difference.

[quote name='veronesepk']They are introducing games, but not "new" games. They've only done 127 trades, with 125 of them going out, most of which were lower end games. True, this puts games into the system with the points appearing to go unused (only two trades), this isn't nearly enough influx of new games to make a difference.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say most of those are lower end games. Almost all were high demand games, with varying, usually high, point values. And they did just start doing this in August, so for it being just a few months, that's a fair amount of games to essentially just give away. I also imagine they're relying on some of their contests and promotions to bring in new traders. Sales like this fund those contests, which lead to an influx of new traders, which, hopefully, leads to an influx of more games available.

Good luck if you ever have a problem on Goozex though. The entire "staff" consists of 2 guys working out of their parents basement.

[quote name='kevlar51']Please explain how this affects the system. The person who is "giving up" the item is still getting the same amount of points that they planned on collecting in the first place, which can be used on other items within the site.[/QUOTE]

Sure that person probably won't be the one without a chair when the music stops, but SOMEONE will be. A game is being pulled out of the system with nothing going back in in its place (yes I already knew that Goozex sends out a few games, but the value of the games that they send out is obviously far less than the points that they sell).

The model cannot work forever, and this will speed up the demise. If anyone traded on LaLa (CD trading site that worked in a similar way to Goozex), they saw firsthand how the model fails. Sure the occasional disc gets sent out, but most people do not receive anything back now. There are a ton of people who sent out more CDs than they got back, and will never get that made up to them. Trading dried up to a trickle.

Dunno it's not for everyone I guess, If you're "afraid", you're gonna be the last man standing with 800 worthless points in your hand.. then maybe you should stick to Gamestop.

I had a couple thousand (just dumped a few games past few days), then I just bought some of these points from this deal. I took everything I wanted on "hold" and activated it, plus added a few more. Matched up to:

Crisis Core : FFVII
BIA: Hells Highway
Infinite Undiscovery
Monster Madness
SM Civ Revolution
Zoids Assault

Granted will they all go through? Prob not Crisis Core already did. Will I keep all of those? Definetly not.

Will I be left empty handed? Definetly not.

I guess its worthless if you have the points and you need game A in the hand right now. I don't. My backlog is huge but when I finish the game I dump it for points, and in return get more than if I was to Gamestop it.

Except the fact there was the downfall of CD's due to technology. Games by nature are more proprietary (looking especially at you f'n Nintendo).

Goozex would be classified as a business that provides a service. It's an intermediary between traders, to combat against those who would try to essentially steal from another. It's a place that allows protection to those that trade, and people pay to feel safe. Really those of you who flip games and are just hating on their little xmas sale with limited available quantities need to take your baby whining somewhere else. And stop googling business/economics, it's obvious when you do and then create posts like you understand what the hell is going on in the world today regarding the economy, stocks, business, federal reserve, funds rate,etc, etc, etc and correlate it to F'N GOOZEX. ARE YOU PEOPLE SERIOUS? IT'S A GAME INTERMEDIARY BUSINESS HAVING A LIMITED HOLIDAY SALE.

This is cool. Hopefully the Mirror's Edge line goes down quick, I've wanted that for a while.
[If it doesn't, I'll just get Brutal Legend through it, or try to, I guess. I have enough BB credit to get Mirror's Edge now. ... Yay CC.]

bread's done
Back