Goozex Summer Sale

Afrodiziak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just got the latest newsletter from Goozex and they announced that tomorrow they're going to be kicking off a huge summer sale. Here are the prices for points. I think I'm going to jump on that 5000 point + 20 trade tokens deal. That'd be like getting 1000 point games for approximately $23.

50% OFF SALE!
Gift card: 5000 Goozex points + 20 trade tokens now $135.00
Gift card: 3500 Goozex points + 10 trade tokens now $92.50

30% OFF SALE!
Gift card: 2000 Goozex points + 5 trade tokens now $73.50
Gift card: 2000 Goozex points now $70.00

10% OFF SALE!
Gift card: 1000 Goozex points + 5 trade tokens now $49.50
Gift card: 1000 Goozex points now $45.00

Hurry, the sale lasts only from July 17th to August 2nd, 2009.

Goozex must be making a killing off this lol
It's quite ingenious how points cannot be decommissioned - when treasury departments do this it creates massive amounts of inflation.

That actually is a pretty sweet sale. I haven't used Goozex in ages though. How long does it take to get newer games, on average?

[quote name='DMPugh']That actually is a pretty sweet sale. I haven't used Goozex in ages though. How long does it take to get newer games, on average?[/QUOTE]

It depends on if you're willing to stay up late to be one of the first people in queue for a title. I'm actually next in line for a copy of Overlord 2 and Fight Night Round 4 but I made sure I was hammering the site as soon as they became available for requests.

I tend to use the site more for filling out my game collection than anything else. The older stuff tends to go for pretty cheap and with what EB/GS wants for some older titles Goozex is the way to go.

they are starting a DVD/Blu-Ray trading program aswell as per newsletter, be interesting to see what the point values are

nice, i have a some dvds id love to unload

as for the sale, the 5000 point deal is nice, but i just dont see myself dropping that much cash on goozex. the other ones dont seem as good or worthwhile.

Well the 3500 point one is pretty decent. I'm torn between getting that or the 5000 point one considering I have 4600 points sitting in my account right now.

Neksus: I agree with you and it's actually something I've been thinking about. What are they going to do when the amount of points in the system far outnumbers the amount of games? I know that they're starting a promotion to buy brand new games from them for more than a 1000 points so maybe that will be how they kill the points and buff the amount of titles.

Man that 5000 point deal is tempting; I will most likely be doing exactly what Afrodiziak does, just finding 100-300pt games that are more expensive to get at EB. I have 1350 points right now, but with 5000pts and 20 tokens I should be set for the year I'd say! I must dwell on this....Thanks OP!

People seem to swear by this but their TOS and their faq bamboozles me. Anyone care to put their entire existence and how they work in layman's terms for a peon like me? :p

1. Games you have: put as offer.
2. Games you want: put as request.
3. Requests: Make sure you have sufficient points and tokens for requested games. Tokens are about $1 each. Points can be bought (about 100 points for $5) or traded for by sending games out.
4. Offers: Make sure it's in the condition you offer it as (full package/disc only/disc + manual). Put the game in a bubble mailer and mail it out. About $2 within Canada, $5 to the US.
5. Feedback: self-explanatory.

I was skeptical of Goozex until trying it earlier this year... Now that I've sent out 9 games and received 11, I have to say that I'm very impressed with the system.

Things don't always run 100% smoothly - anytime you are trading with people online it can get a bit dicey once in a while - but the experience has been extremely positive for me so far and the Goozex guarantee helps safeguard you from most shenanigans.

Also, I really agree that Goozex is the best way to backfill your collection because many older games can be had cheap. The only catch is that you have to be patient while waiting to reach the top of the queues... Goozex might not be the right choice for people who need "instant gratification".

If you do join Goozex, three tips:
(1) Get into request/offer queues as soon as you can, and then put the games "on hold" until you actually want them. Learning to use the "on hold" system to your advantage is really useful.
(2) It's really worth sending out a few games to get your feedback raised early on. Even if those games aren't worth very many points, you can usually get a better return on investment than from second-hand sales.
(3) Be smart when mailing stuff out. If something does happen in transit, you are responsible... so pack the games with a bit of care and use tracking/insurance whenever the cost is justified.
http://www.goozex.com/referral.asp?idr=6195071586230

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RAMSTORIA']the 5000 point deal is nice, but i just dont see myself dropping that much cash on goozex. the other ones dont seem as good or worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly, I know I could see this as an investment, but that's a lot of money at once...

[quote name='neksus']Goozex must be making a killing off this lol
It's quite ingenious how points cannot be decommissioned - when treasury departments do this it creates massive amounts of inflation.[/QUOTE]
The whole thing is just ingenious. There's no risk to them either...someone rips someone else off? No problem, just refund the person points, which costs them nothing to do.

*Adds to the list of ideas to come up with when I go back in time*

I don't see an issue with "inflation" so to speak: games max out at 1000 points, but I'm glad to see that special editions and bundles finally broke the 1000-point ceiling. Getting 1000 points for a GH/RB full package would be ridiculous considering the amount of shipping you'd pay.

Also, you can set your trading region to Canada or Canada+US. Personally I don't want to pay extra for shipping and I can afford to wait, so I just have Canada only.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I don't see an issue with "inflation" so to speak: games max out at 1000 points, but I'm glad to see that special editions and bundles finally broke the 1000-point ceiling. Getting 1000 points for a GH/RB full package would be ridiculous considering the amount of shipping you'd pay.

Also, you can set your trading region to Canada or Canada+US. Personally I don't want to pay extra for shipping and I can afford to wait, so I just have Canada only.[/QUOTE]

idem, you can never know. I'm gonna pick up the 5000 points. It's pretty cheap if you ask me.

Damn just bought 30 tokens.

Shortly after they did the sale at Xmas they let people (americans) redeem points for some brand new games they had shipped from Amazon, so that absorbed some of the extra points injected into the system.

Putting piles of extra points in for cash like this can be inflationary. The demand list will grow, so the choice is raise the points value per game or end up with ques so long you never get to the top. On top of, if you've got piles of points you probably aren't going to offer games to get more. But goozex seems pretty well run and while the offer for new games didn't seem like any deal to me a lot of them were excited about it. There are poeple on the forum there talking of holding 30,000+ points.

Granted, I've gotten 1000 points for as low as C$17 by buying games like far cry 2 at zellers. Its certainly quite easy to do for $25-30.

If you are planning on just buying the 5,000 points without sending games out it could take a long time to use them the way they open up activity level based on fb received from sent games.

They are supposed to be introducing a lot more content in Goozex soon, including DVDs and Blu-rays along with a marketplace that would let you outright buy new content. So I'm not worried about inflation that much, at least not enough to stop this from being a hot deal.

I think I've settled on purchasing the 3500 + 10 token bundle. With all of the games I have offered and the points I currently have in my account it should keep my requests flowing for quite awhile.

Im tempted...Im just leery of ending up with so many points it will take ages to use them...and i know that many other sites like this have bit the dust. Peerflix started years ago operating the same way with movies, spent many $millions and did attract a lot of users. Liquidity dried up as people accumulated points and stopped offfering to send...and it shut down.

Forget the name, there was one started a few months ago for USA residents only. Effectively a goozex clone except the fee would be an annual subscription instead of $1 trade, but they were offerring free for a period of time.

With 4500 trades going on now, if they take a week on average, thats less than $4500 a week in revenue ...which isn't that much to pay for site development, hosting advertising, whatever staff they have.

[quote name='Afrodiziak']I think I've settled on purchasing the 3500 + 10 token bundle. With all of the games I have offered and the points I currently have in my account it should keep my requests flowing for quite awhile.[/QUOTE]

Same here - I like the points:tokens ratio better here than in the other big deal. Of course, either choice sounds pretty good overall.

Now to get approval from the wife for an "early birthday present", since my summer gaming budget is already spent... :pray:

Very tempting.. that 50% off is equivalent of a pretty good (not great) flip.

4500/wk is just the trading revenue.. plus people buying points (hmm, i send goozex money, and someone else sends a game to me? seems like goozex is printing money).. plus all the advertising revenue.. it's probably not a bad business. I thought I read there are only 3 people running it too?

Yeah they make a ton of cash because they're basically just functioning as an outlet to trade games without ever having to take on any inventory overhead.

I've only really been using it for about 2 months and I've already gotten some really good deals. Zelda: Four Swords for 300 points, Devil May Cry 4 for 150 points, and I just managed to snag Infinite Undiscovery for 250 points. If I take into account the couple of flips I've done to gain points those 3 games basically cost me about $15 (Thanks to the used copy of inFamous I snagged at EB). The only bad thing about Goozex is having to wait in a queue for a game that may never get traded in but you can sometimes luck out. For Zelda Four Swords I was 15th in line but everyone ahead of me either a) never had points or b) never had an open trade slot. Managed to get it the second day I had it on my active request list.

I've never used Goozex but i find this offer very tempting. I don't quite fully understand the system though. When browsing the site, i saw several links on the left hand side of the page. "available", "coming soon", "request" ... etc. Request would be where you place requests and it queue's you up? And what about the games in the available section... can you trade those straight away or are their queue's for that as well?

[quote name='Etherealbyte']And what about the games in the available section... can you trade those straight away or are their queue's for that as well?[/QUOTE]They have queues too. Available games are just those that people have up for offer.

Queues work for both receiving and offering games.

Decided to go for 3500 points for $92.50 USD. Hope this turns out to be a good idea!

Edit: There are actually quite a few games available right now with no wait! All the Call of Duty games, Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, Perfect Dark Zero, Resident Evil 5 (Game + Manual only)... they're all good deals considering it's 50% off making even 1000 point games the equivalent of $30 CAD.

[quote name='eswat']They have queues too. Available games are just those that people have up for offer.

Queues work for both receiving and offering games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.
One more question. How are the wait times? It will obviously differ on different games but games like Valkyria and Folklore and other older games. How many days/months will it usually take for a person to find a seller after requesting it?

[quote name='Etherealbyte']Thanks for the reply.
One more question. How are the wait times? It will obviously differ on different games but games like Valkyria and Folklore and other older games. How many days/months will it usually take for a person to find a seller after requesting it?[/QUOTE]

No way to know, could get matched the day you add to the list, while other games may never trade again let alone match you. Also possible to get matched on one it looks like you are way back on. i've got instant match 20 something place in line because the other person had theirs set to canada only and i was first Canadian. Some of them the point value is out of line so there won't be someone on the other side of the transaction until its adjsuted

It doenst work so well if you've got to have a specific game. it works great if you want to swap your pile of games for a different pile of games,
and are flexible enough to request a bunch and see what shows up.

If you click the trading info link on any game's page it will tell you how many trades are presently happenning, and ho wmany have over a time period so you can get an idea of the likliehood of matching

I added Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CE to my Requests list yesterday, and I got a seller within 2 hours. I've had Halo 3 on my requests list for a month, and nadda...it allll depends!

I would also say if you're a collector (or anal about the condition of your games) Goozex is not the best place to go. I got a copy of RE Umbrella Chronicles and it had only the French manual. >_< However, new releases may be sealed, as was the case when I got Rock Band 2. I myself have sent out sealed games.

I agree about waiting to get a specific game. I have two games on my requests list and they're not moving. On the other hand my offers haven't been moving as well, and GH Aerosmith finally got a match when it dropped to 100 points. >_>

bread's done
Back