Got a Wii, but what else should I get

xtchuh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Just purchased a Wii at Target this afternoon (Yes, afternoon... She said it could of been a return.) I also purchased Super Mario Galaxy. I am wondering what else do you guys recommend purchasing for a new Wii owner. I am planning on purchasing a GameCube Controller in order to play some GameCube games, but besides that I truly do not know..

P.S. Wii sports is a freaking workout. After playing this for a bit, my right arm got a little tired. Who needs the gym when you have a Wii that you can play by your self..... ummm... that didn't come out right, but oh well.

you'll need a gc memory card as well. I would also reccomend wii points as you'll probably want to buy some vc games or the internet channel. I'd imagine Mario Galaxy will keep you busy for a while.

EDIT: Remember Gamestop is having buy 2 used accesories/games get one free. I have picked up wavebirds with games on this deal before.

Games:

Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party
The Godfather
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Mario Strikers Charged
Resident Evil 4
Super Paper Mario
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Zack and Wiki: Quest for the Barbaros Treasure

Accessories:

Nunchuks
Classic Controller
Wii Zapper
Rechargable Batteries or Nyko Charge Station
SD Card
Wii Points

Wii points + Classic controller
I got the LAN adapter since i dont have wifi
Get the Nyko controller recharge kit too, so you wont go through a ton of double A batteries.
I got a SD card but for now it seems useless.

Can I play movies on my Wii via a SD Card, or is the SD Card sole purpose is to store VC Games that won't fit on Wii and Pictures?

Planning on getting wireless network and the nyko charge system. Will give EBGames a look at on Friday

Gamewise...Mario and Zak & Wiki are definately must haves. My bro-in-law got me Zak & Wiki for Xmas and damn if I can't this shit down. If you gonna get zappers, I highly and I mean highly, reccomend getting the Perfect Shot from Nyko. Waaaaaay better than that piece of shit Nintendo calls the zapper. Granted, it doesn't come with a game, but 4 player Ghost Squad with those zappers are tons of fun. Everything else like Classic controllers and stuff are logical things. Good luck and enjoy!

Games:

Zelda
Metroid Prime 3
Resident Evil 4 (if you didn't play it last gen)

Hardware:

Wavebird and GC mem card to play GC games

Classic Controller if you plan on getting SNES or Gensis games on VC (GC controller works, but d-pad and button layout sucks for these games)

An extra Remote for Wii Sports etc. (might as well get Wii Play)

Maybe an extra nunchuk (I've not needed the second one in a year plus since launch, but that will depend on what multiplayer games you play)

I just got a Wii too and I'll be watching this thread for suggestions. I only have Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, DDR Hottest Party, and GGXX: Accent Core. Looking to get NiGHTs: JoD, Fire Emblem: RD, and Zack & Wiki in the near future. Not sure what else yet, but I'm interested in hearing what people like (not too sure if I'd get Zelda though because I haven't been much of a Zelda fan over the years). I do enjoy the three games I bought most definitely.

Yeah, I still need to get accessories too (all I have is a classic controller).

[quote name='xtchuh']P.S. Wii sports is a freaking workout. After playing this for a bit, my right arm got a little tired. Who needs the gym when you have a Wii that you can play by your self..... ummm... that didn't come out right, but oh well.[/quote]
Glad you are enjoying your Wii, but don't think Wii Sports is going to be the replacement for proper cardio. :lol:

[quote name='Masterkyo']Sonic the secret Rings and Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz both for $20 Each this week at Gamestop or Ebgames.[/QUOTE]Is Sonic worth $20? I hear it's different, but I do like most Sonic games. I'm really on the edge due to Sonic next gen disappointing me in ways.

Did the world end or something? The Mana Knight got a Wii? oO

Sonic's worth $20, but it's very much a like or hate game.

My suggestions:
Ghost Squad
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
Metroid Prime 3
MLB Power Pros
Trauma Center
Zack and Wiki

Could be more, but this is off the top of my head and what's available. I'd also suggest NiGHTS, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars and RE:UC, but I haven't played them yet.

How you people getting wii's right after christmas? I went to two different walmart's looked in the normal stuff, and return's I wish I could find one there.

[quote name='jman619']How you people getting wii's right after christmas? I went to two different walmart's looked in the normal stuff, and return's I wish I could find one there.[/quote]
Buy off friends and co-workers that got more than one for Chirstmas. :lol:

[quote name='EXStrike']Did the world end or something? The Mana Knight got a Wii? oO

Sonic's worth $20, but it's very much a like or hate game.

My suggestions:
Ghost Squad
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
Metroid Prime 3
MLB Power Pros
Trauma Center
Zack and Wiki

Could be more, but this is off the top of my head and what's available. I'd also suggest NiGHTS, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars and RE:UC, but I haven't played them yet.[/QUOTE]Lol, I don't believe I said anything negative towards Wii. I'm still going to ask around on Sonic though.

I heard great things about MLB Power Pros. I never played one, but that reminds me I should give the game a shot. :) I'm into light gun games, so I'm looking at Ghost Squad myself.

[quote name='jman619']How you people getting wii's right after Christmas? I went to two different walmart's looked in the normal stuff, and returns I wish I could find one there.[/QUOTE]I got my Wii on Christmas day. I was going to buy a Wii on 12/18, since Target and Best Buy got them in (I saw them too and was about to pick it up), but my Mom told me she already got me a Wii for Christmas. :D I occasionally see them, you normally have to go to retailers during the middle of the week around 11am-1pm to find them. That's my recommendation for those who want a Wii and cannot find one. ;)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Lol, I don't believe I said anything negative towards Wii. I'm still going to ask around on Sonic though.[/quote]

Weren't you diehard Sony? Believe you also said something along the lines of how Nintendo was ruining gaming with all the casual stuff.

But oh well, whatever.

I usually hate baseball games, but I loved Power Pros. Some people in the MLB Power Pros thread said that they didn't even like baseball and they liked the game.

Get Waroware it is easily one of the best wii games out there.
I really hope to see a couple of wii sequels for that franchise. Also pick up Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Nights, , Zelda, and Resident Evil 4.
I will probably be picking up Ghost squad or zack and wiki this week. I have all the other games and their aren't any better ones out right now.
Download alien soldier, air zonk, donkey kong country 2, paper mario(64), Sin and Punishment, super Metroid and super contra. ;)

:cry: Hopefully castlevania 3 will come soon.

[quote name='The Crotch']Why do you mock me, O Lord?[/quote]

Lol.. just post the link to the thread in your sig.. people will follow.. or ask a mod to sticky it for you.. itll help out a lot.. its a great thread.

But feel free to bump fire emblem to like a 102 percent.

Yes, but you need to convert them. Check out Wii Video 9.
[quote name='xtchuh']Can I play movies on my Wii via a SD Card, or is the SD Card sole purpose is to store VC Games that won't fit on Wii and Pictures?
[/quote]

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Lol.. just post the link to the thread in your sig.. people will follow..[/quote]It is in my signature. I think people are just distracted by the awesome that is one Zealot taking out a Zerg army.[quote name='Ice2Dragon']or ask a mod to sticky it for you.. itll help out a lot.. its a great thread.[/quote]Really, its functionality is heavily limited by its non-stickied-status, but I prefer to let people who aren't me decide whether or not it's worth stickying, as I'm a little biased.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'm still going to ask around on Sonic though.[/quote]
I picked up Sonic for $40 back in March and liked it; for $20 it's a no-brainer. The game isn't an AAA title, but it's a solid action game with a few rough edges. The biggest gripe is that Sonic's abilities start out a bit gimped, and you need to finish a few stages and level him up before he's up to snuff. I wrote a more detailed review here.

[quote name='The Mana Knight'] I heard great things about MLB Power Pros. I never played one, but that reminds me I should give the game a shot. :)[/quote]
Never played it myself, but all impressions are that it's awesome if you love hardcore sports sims.

Finally, shame shame shame on all of you for not recommending Excite Truck. Anyone who loves balls-out arcade racers (San Francisco Rush, Hydro Thunder) must get this game. I played the bejeebers out of it for five months since launch, and nothing still gets the adrenaline going like doing a 2000-foot jump with a 1080-degree air spin, nailing the landing to get a turbo boost and SUPER TRUCK SMASHing three drones to take the lead. Awesome! :D

--R.J.

[quote name='rjung']
Finally, shame shame shame on all of you for not recommending Excite Truck. Anyone who loves balls-out arcade racers (San Francisco Rush, Hydro Thunder) must get this game. I played the bejeebers out of it for five months since launch, and nothing still gets the adrenaline going like doing a 2000-foot jump with a 1080-degree air spin, nailing the landing to get a turbo boost and SUPER TRUCK SMASHing three drones to take the lead. Awesome! :D

--R.J.[/QUOTE]Excite Truck is definitely on my radar.

I'm currently looking at (somewhat in order. This thread had some influence on me making a list)
-NiGHTs: Journey of Dreams
-Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
-Zack & Wiki
-Super Paper Mario
-Super Swing Golf (I heard some mixed impressions, but I love golf games)
-Ghost Squad
-Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution
-Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
-Sonic & The Secret Rings
-MLB Power Pros
-Excite Truck
-Metroid Prime 3 (I'll be honest that I'm not a Metroid fan, but after hearing awesome things about it from non Metroid fans, I'm definitely interested)
-Legend of Zelda: Twilight of Princess
-Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
-Batallion Wars 2
-Elebits (not really sure about it. Does anyone like it or feel I should avoid it?)

I don't really have interests in Trauma Center and wasn't really a fan of RE4 (well, not a fan of RE, but I have interests in UC because it's light gun, and I like light gun games). The first few on the list are almost guaranteed I'll buy. I'm still looking around for other games. I once had interests in Dewy's Adventure, but reviews kind of scared me off (if anyone likes it, I'd like to know, since I do like platformers a lot).

Unfortunately, I just missed the sale of Sonic, but I think I'll see it for $20 again.

I think Elebits is a great game - and considering it could be gotten pretty easily at CC for $16.96 a few weeks back I think that was a no-brainer purchase. I'm not sure how much you can get it for now (you might still find a copy or two at CC).

It is kind of Katamari-like in the progression of levels, though the gameplay is very different.

And my favorite game on the Wii is still Metroid Prime 3. And I say this after getting 120 stars in Mario Galaxy ;).

I have yet to play Fire Emblem and Zack & Wiki, though both are sitting here sealed.

Do NOT buy Dewey's Adventure at anything over $20 - and at that price only if you really like platformers. It is OK, but in terms of platforming Mario Galaxy blows it out of the water. I rented it and couldn't even motivate myself to finish it in the rental period like I usually do.

Does anyone know why the Wii Zapper is sold out in a lot of places, but is still available from Fry's Online site (frys.com)? I see they are selling it for 24.99 (where most sites sold it for 19.99), but it's still relatively cheap. And I would think most people would still want one...

Is there anything suspicious about ordering from Fry's online site? Like...do they break the factory seal or something?

sonic is great fun. Plus it has a party mode that is *almost* as in-depth as mario party 8. seriously. The controls are good, and it has great replay value. for 20, pick it up. dont go above 40 though. hope that helped

[quote name='naes']Games:

Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party
The Godfather
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Mario Strikers Charged
Resident Evil 4
Super Paper Mario
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Zack and Wiki: Quest for the Barbaros Treasure

Accessories:

Nunchuks
Classic Controller
Wii Zapper
Rechargable Batteries or Nyko Charge Station
SD Card
Wii Points[/QUOTE]

Trimmed the list down

[quote name='alongx']Trimmed the list down[/quote]

woah! MAYBE he could do without an SD card, but wii points and CC are almost essential. There are games on the VC that MUST be played

[quote name='The Crotch']Taking out Paper Mario and Godfather - both very well regarded games here - is also a curious choice, but whatever.[/QUOTE]

Paper Mario was good...but worth $50? Even $40? I wouldn't recommend it at that price. At $30 or less, I'd say to jump on it. I'm glad I played through it, but there were a lot of annoying parts. As for the Godfather...well, I've played one too many GTAs and am admittedly burnt out on them.

As for the Wii Points, what's so essential on the Virtual Console that has to be bought? I would classify every title out there as one I a) already own or b) wouldn't pay the asking price for. I'd recommend Wii points after Wii Ware launches in a few months maybe - I am much more interested in new software than classic content, especially when the classic content has not been altered in any meaningful way. Any classic content could be played just as well with a GC controller, which is more versatile, in that it allows you to play GC disks whereas the Classic Controller does not.

I just got a Wii and I bought Wii Play, and Lego Star Wars Complete Saga.
The Lego Star Wars is great if you're a fan of Star Wars. I highly recommend it if (1) you haven't played the other lego games
or
(2) you want something that's damn simple to just pick up and play.

[quote name='alongx']
As for the Wii Points, what's so essential on the Virtual Console that has to be bought? I would classify every title out there as one I a) already own or b) wouldn't pay the asking price for. I'd recommend Wii points after Wii Ware launches in a few months maybe - I am much more interested in new software than classic content, especially when the classic content has not been altered in any meaningful way. Any classic content could be played just as well with a GC controller, which is more versatile, in that it allows you to play GC disks whereas the Classic Controller does not.[/quote]

The correct response to this is Sin & Punishment.

crotch spent a lot of his time on that thread, and we STILL get this crap. advice: make the link in the biggest text possible

[quote name='alongx']Paper Mario was good...but worth $50? Even $40? I wouldn't recommend it at that price. At $30 or less, I'd say to jump on it. I'm glad I played through it, but there were a lot of annoying parts. As for the Godfather...well, I've played one too many GTAs and am admittedly burnt out on them.[/quote]

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You cross of Paper Mario because you say it isn't worth MSRP, but leave Warioware? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Paper Mario and Godfather are both great games, and Godfather is even cheaper now, so there's no reason not to buy that if you enjoy GTA games. I thought it was more enjoyable than any GTA I've played, to be honest.

Sonic & The Secret Rings gets a bad rap, and I'm not sure why. I loved the game. And the party mode, my 12 year old siblings (not twins, both adopted at 1 yr old and look entirely different), played non-stop party mode on Festivus when they came to visit me...the only reason they put it down was because we started giving them Christmas presents.

The regular game mode, I agree -- takes a little while to get power-uped to get moving -- but it's still a fun way to go. Also, the introductary levels are useful in teaching the game controls.

Other suggestions:
Wii Zapper
Wii Play (Controller + $10 game = Worth It)
SMG
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree

I just got a Wii myself, is Fire Emblem any good?
Also gunna pick up Wii Play, SMG, RE4, and the new Dragon Ball Z game.
Oh, and is the Bleach game any good?

Fire Emblem's fucking awesome. But you should really play Path of Radiance (the Wii is BC, remember) first. If you like Path of Radiance, you will like Radiant Dawn - simple as that.

I've heard Bleach is good, but I have no godly idea what it's about or what it's like.

[quote name='The Crotch']Fire Emblem's fucking awesome. But you should really play Path of Radiance (the Wii is BC, remember) first. If you like Path of Radiance, you will like Radiant Dawn - simple as that.

I've heard Bleach is good, but I have no godly idea what it's about or what it's like.[/QUOTE]My problem is I previously sold my copy of Fire Emblem on GC (mostly because I didn't have time to play it and a friend gave me a great offer on my copy, so I let it go), so I cannot play the first again (well, I only played a few battles). But I'm okay with missing part of the story if I don't see it again. :)
[quote name='t0llenz']Sonic & The Secret Rings gets a bad rap, and I'm not sure why. I loved the game. [/QUOTE]I'll get it the next time it's $20. Hearing mixed impressions along with not liking Sonic on 360/PS3 really had me unsure (although I know they are different). Thanks though. :)

bread's done
Back