got boned again on ebay

[quote name='kodave']I thought that as a seller you could still accept checks/money orders if you so choose. Has that changed?[/QUOTE]You can use PayPal, one of the major credit cards, or Cash on Delivery. No checks or money orders.

Cleaned out all posts advocating or discussing USPS fraud. Don't talk about it anywhere on this website. And while we're on the subject, join the adults and stop attempting to justify illegal activities.

Under weighing and underpaying the USPS is defrauding the US government and we have no intention of irritating the Office of Inspector General. Leave it off of CAG.

[quote name='kodave']I thought that as a seller you could still accept checks/money orders if you so choose. Has that changed?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DNukem170']You can use PayPal, one of the major credit cards, or Cash on Delivery. No checks or money orders.[/QUOTE]

You most certainly can still accept money order or checks but who is going to pay that way?

Any buyer that pays by Money Order or a check is giving away all of their buyer protection that would be offered if they paid by PayPal or even if they paid using their CC if the seller has a merchant account.

[quote name='GBAstar']You most certainly can still accept money order or checks but who is going to pay that way?

Any buyer that pays by Money Order or a check is giving away all of their buyer protection that would be offered if they paid by PayPal or even if they paid using their CC if the seller has a merchant account.[/QUOTE]

o_O Strange, it doesn't even give me the option to do check or money order, unless it is bundled in with local pickup or not available on mobile.

[quote name='DNukem170']o_O Strange, it doesn't even give me the option to do check or money order, unless it is bundled in with local pickup or not available on mobile.[/QUOTE]

You would have to make arrangements with the seller/buyer first depending what side of the fence you are on.

You absolutely MUST accept PayPal to sell on eBay. Other options are up to you as the seller. I can't think of a single seller who would not accept money order or checks as by doing so they A) save on PayPay fees and B) have 100% of the power in the transaction

Two points:

1. "As Is" doesn't mean "buy at your own risk because they may not work," even if you're not able to test them. It means you're not providing any warranty on top of what the manufacturer provides, so you're not obligated to replace the item down the line if it stops working. If the buyer had complained that some discs were broken, you'd be obligated to refund or replace them.

2. If you don't have the money on hand to buy paper mailers from OfficeMax, you probably shouldn't be selling on eBay. Stick to a community-moderated site like CAG or GameTZ, or use Craig's List. I feel like this is some permutation of the "you have to spend money to make money" mantra. If you can't afford for something to go awry, you probably can't afford to sell things on eBay or Amazon.

I think the buyer was a dick about the whole situation, almost to the point that I think he took advantage of your situation to get a deal for himself. The fact that he so quickly wanted to report you to eBay suggests he's familiar with their policies and probably knew of some less-obvious avenues to use when reporting and winning disputes. That said, there are many ways that the seller could have handled the situation in a much better fashion. If a buyer told me he wouldn't ship for two weeks for any reason, I'd ask for a refund. I don't care if I just bought the Hope Diamond for $12. That's poor customer service, and if he can't handle a simple sale mechanic, who knows what else is going wrong that I can't yet see?

[quote name='GBAstar']You most certainly can still accept money order or checks but who is going to pay that way?

Any buyer that pays by Money Order or a check is giving away all of their buyer protection that would be offered if they paid by PayPal or even if they paid using their CC if the seller has a merchant account.[/QUOTE]

Checks, money orders, and bank wire transfers aren't allowed for most eBay purchases.
But sellers can offer these payment methods for certain items in some categories, including Motors, Capital and Business Equipment, Real Estate, and Adult Only.
As per the ebay website...

[quote name='AvidWriter']This is why I never use ebay anymore, well it's been well over 5 years. It punishes the buyers too often.[/QUOTE]
No it doesn't. It bends over backwards to help the buyers. It punishes the sellers all the time.

[quote name='Fukurou']No it doesn't. It bends over backwards to help the buyers. It punishes the sellers all the time.[/QUOTE]

True, you can pretty much get anything you want for free if you know how to work the system. I hate eBay and I wish I didn't have to use them as much as I do. You never know when you're going to get hosed.

I haven't sold on Ebay in a while and now I remember why. This total douchebag wouldn't pay, never responded to any of my invoices. So I opened up an unpaid auction case. Still nothing. On the very last day before I can take any further action, he decides to pay... but doesn't pay for shipping! So I sent him a few more messages that he continues to ignore, and when I finally suggest the transaction be canceled all together, he slaps negative feedback on me.

I also can't request final credit fee refund because it's "a closed case."

But you know someone's a douche when sellers are willing to leave him positive feedback that say how much of a deadbeat he is.

How long ago did Ebay remove the option to give negative feedback on buyers? Because they sure seem to be going out of their way to protect the idiots and the scammers at the expense of the sellers.

[quote name='Indiana Jones'] On the very last day before I can take any further action, he decides to pay... but doesn't pay for shipping![/QUOTE]

Apparently things have changed a lot since then. I have been selling on eBay for a long time now and there has never been a "partial payment" option. Either all at once or not at all.

[quote name='DNukem170']Apparently things have changed a lot since then. I have been selling on eBay for a long time now and there has never been a "partial payment" option. Either all at once or not at all.[/QUOTE]

^Yep

Yeah, last negative feedback I got was left with no contact. They complained that the xbox was broken. I had it insured and could have filed a claim with the USPS if they had simply contacted me but they didn't. Just left negative feedback and that was that.

Strangely didn't even want a refund.

[quote name='yantelope']Yeah, last negative feedback I got was left with no contact. They complained that the xbox was broken. I had it insured and could have filed a claim with the USPS if they had simply contacted me but they didn't. Just left negative feedback and that was that.

Strangely didn't even want a refund.[/QUOTE]
This is why I avoid selling on EBay unless I can't get a buyer on Amazon. Ebay is SUPER buyer friendly and don't care about their sellers at all. It's weird that they didn't try to get a refund out of you though...

[quote name='Woocls']This is why I avoid selling on EBay unless I can't get a buyer on Amazon. Ebay is SUPER buyer friendly and don't care about their sellers at all. It's weird that they didn't try to get a refund out of you though...[/QUOTE]

Amazon's policies are even more buyer-centric than eBay.

Eh, it seems to go both ways. Ebay may side with buyers in most cases, but every time I've had trouble with one of my buyers, ebay took my side 100%. I actually called and talked to them for an hour at a time, and I have substantial feedback, not that I know if any of those mattered.

People really blow the evil ebay thing out of proportion sometimes. You need to be very clear with the items you sell on ebay, with as much information as possible. If you post your listing with less than at least a paragraph of information, you don't deserve much sympathy.

Paypal is a different story, though. God damn that company is fucked sometimes with the way they handle things.

I stopped selling on eBay after my last negative experience. A buyer received a $600 item that he had purchased from me - listing was accurate, pictures were accurate, I shipped as stated in the listing within 1 business day of payment receipt, UPS insured/adult signature confirmation.

He received the item and as soon as he was able to, filed a claim stating that it was not the item indicated in the listing. I offered a refund provided he returned the item, hoping it was buyer's remorse instead of a scam attempt, which Paypal accepted and held the funds pending the return. He sent back a 5lb bag of sugar in the original box to keep the weight even with the original shipment. The package was sent to the UPS store address I used for business at the time, and I had it opened there by the staff in case it turned out to be fraud. I took their names and filed a police report. The police contacted Paypal, gave me a report number, and I faxed in all the relevant documentation.

The decision was ultimately reversed and the money put back in my account, after which he left negative feedback that eBay would do nothing about, even though I had proof that the buyer committed felony fraud, witnesses with signed statements and a police report backing it up. I'm also pretty certain that if it hadn't been late on a Friday when the package arrived, he would have had time to clear the funds out of his account, Paypal would have been unable to reclaim the funds, and I would have been fucked. He contacted Paypal basically the instant the tracking indicated delivery asking for his refund to be released.

I've sold a lot of different items on eBay over the last 10 years or so, but that was the point that I decided to cut my losses since they really just don't care if you get ripped off as a seller.

[quote name='SGRX']I stopped selling on eBay after my last negative experience. A buyer received a $600 item that he had purchased from me - listing was accurate, pictures were accurate, I shipped as stated in the listing within 1 business day of payment receipt, UPS insured/adult signature confirmation.

He received the item and as soon as he was able to, filed a claim stating that it was not the item indicated in the listing. I offered a refund provided he returned the item, hoping it was buyer's remorse instead of a scam attempt, which Paypal accepted and held the funds pending the return. He sent back a 5lb bag of sugar in the original box to keep the weight even with the original shipment. The package was sent to the UPS store address I used for business at the time, and I had it opened there by the staff in case it turned out to be fraud. I took their names and filed a police report. The police contacted Paypal, gave me a report number, and I faxed in all the relevant documentation.

The decision was ultimately reversed and the money put back in my account, after which he left negative feedback that eBay would do nothing about, even though I had proof that the buyer committed felony fraud, witnesses with signed statements and a police report backing it up. I'm also pretty certain that if it hadn't been late on a Friday when the package arrived, he would have had time to clear the funds out of his account, Paypal would have been unable to reclaim the funds, and I would have been fucked. He contacted Paypal basically the instant the tracking indicated delivery asking for his refund to be released.

I've sold a lot of different items on eBay over the last 10 years or so, but that was the point that I decided to cut my losses since they really just don't care if you get ripped off as a seller.[/QUOTE]
god damn people are scumbags

[quote name='SGRX']I've sold a lot of different items on eBay over the last 10 years or so, but that was the point that I decided to cut my losses since they really just don't care if you get ripped off as a seller.[/QUOTE]

:shock: Wow. Good call on opening it at the store. I'll have to remember that.

[quote name='SGRX']I stopped selling on eBay after my last negative experience. A buyer received a $600 item that he had purchased from me - listing was accurate, pictures were accurate, I shipped as stated in the listing within 1 business day of payment receipt, UPS insured/adult signature confirmation.

I've sold a lot of different items on eBay over the last 10 years or so, but that was the point that I decided to cut my losses since they really just don't care if you get ripped off as a seller.[/QUOTE]

Damn that's insane.....glad you got ur money back though.

Do you care to share his eBay ID so we can add him to a blocked buyer list?

Not eBay related, but anyone find it annoying how Amazon forces you to put credit card info again before purchasing something? I know it's for security, but can you ask something easier like date of birth?

I hate the way ebay let's buyers leave negative feedback after they try and fuck the seller over and fail (even when they succeed sometimes). It doesn't matter how black and white it is, or how much proof you have; they just don't care.

bread's done
Back