Got new plasma tv 50" need advice.

fullhavok

CAGiversary!
Hey cag's just got a new Sammy 50" from my wife for Xmas, it's my 1st plasma ever, I opened it & I'm breaking it in by running it with some color jpegs on slide show that I read on the avs web site, so that by Xmas morning I can set it up & play some ps3 & 360 on it. Im a little worried about playing on it, but my wife got a real cheap a$$ deal, can any one get back with any good adv. On Breaking it, on any experience with plasma's , anything.. I would total appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

P.S. It's a samsung PN50C450 & when I mean cheap, I mean she got it brand new, with 2 year warranty for less then $700. I've always been an LCD guy, but for that price we couldn't pass. I've been reading that plasma 's have gotten Better after 2008. & that people play games on them, like I wrote & I'm a noob when it comes to plasma's ..

AVS forums has some great guides on breaking in your plasma as well as calibration guides. Sorry I can't offer more help, I don't have a Samsung.

I just used mine. no breaking in or none of that. I did set up my color settings and filters to my taste however. Never knew there was a need for 'breaking it in'...

Most plasma's that are new don't need to be broken in like the used to. For optimal color settings its suggested to break it in before calibrating the colors.

1st thanks guys for getting back, 2nd, how it been your experience playing on it? what do you guys play? thanks again.

I have the same TV, and I didn't break it in at all. I play games on it almost everyday. You might get image retention if you play for long sessions with static images, but if you change a channel they are unnoticeable and go away quickly. Absolutely no burn in yet either.

I have two 50" Plasmas and I didn't need to break in either one. I'm an avid gamer (360) and movie watcher (on-demand and Blu-ray). So, please enjoy your tv!

So you haven't had an issue's? That's Awesome, I'm going to connect my 360, & ps3 to it, I've just been worried, since all my life, every one has told me don't play video games on plasma. Thank you

[quote name='fullhavok']So you haven't had an issue's? That's Awesome, I'm going to connect my 360, & ps3 to it, I've just been worried, since all my life, every one has told me don't play video games on plasma. Thank you[/QUOTE]

I've had no problems at all. I may even get a third plasma for the family room. Good luck.

Another vote for AVS

They probably have a master thread for your tv with optimal settings, bugs, tricks and tips.

And another vote for AVS.
I've played games on a plasma and have never had any issues. Although I didn't put that many hours into it.

You shouldn't have to worry about the dreaded "burn-in" that older plasmas were "plagued" by. My family has an older Philips plasma that has no issues.

You may see what they call "after image" which may look like burn-in but isn't. Burn-in is defined as being permanent where as after-images are just temporary.

Don't leave your plasma on overnight or for extremely long time periods with a static image and you'll be fine.

I personally haven't heard or seen a plasma with a health bar burn-in or anything of the sort from playing video games. Besides, gaming on a plasma should be pretty bad ass. Most plasmas have excellent colors, black levels, and no ghosting or anything.

I got a Samsung Plasma last year for Xmas and just set all of my devices to go to "sleep" or "fade" mode as quickly as possible. I have a DirecTv DVR, Xbox 360, PS3, Apple TV and Wii all hooked up to it and most will go into a sleep mode after 2 min.

I've never had an issue with any of the games and their static graphic items (like health bars) the only thing that ever left a ghost after a short period of time was a very vivid red and blue background that I had on my PS3 for a while. Ended up just changing it to something less bold. It left a ghost image that would take 5 min or so to fade, even if it was just one for a min or two.

The paranoid side of me made my family get in the habit of turning the screen off if we're going to be leaving a game or movie on pause for anything more than a quick bathroom break. That seems to have worked, though I'm not sure how necessary it truly is.

Enjoy the new TV. Samsung plasmas run really warm and are like having a blast furnace in the corner of the room, but the picture quality is simply amazing, better than most of the LCD and LED tv's out there.

[quote name='DrumsVocalsKeys']I've had no problems at all. I may even get a third plasma for the family room. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. The original plasmas had burn-in issues, but I think those were all fixed around 2 or 3 years ago.

shouldn't really have to worry about burn in anymore, about the only thing I think would do it anymore would be a 48 hour marathon of something with a bright HUD (think Fallout 3 with the map at the bottom etc...) but if you're doing that on a regular basis your dumb ass deserves it.

[quote name='fullhavok']Hey cag's just got a new Sammy 50" from my wife for Xmas, it's my 1st plasma ever, I opened it & I'm breaking it in by running it with some color jpegs on slide show that I read on the avs web site, so that by Xmas morning I can set it up & play some ps3 & 360 on it. Im a little worried about playing on it, but my wife got a real cheap a$$ deal, can any one get back with any good adv. On Breaking it, on any experience with plasma's , anything.. I would total appreciate it. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Trust your dealer who had supplied you a TV, and always ask him to correct the settings on your set. Many online electronic store offers installation options too.

Plasma's are great for video games, no ghosting very fast response time. I run (at times) my NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Wii and PS3 through my Panny Plasma. It was manufactured in 2006. If you leave a static image on for like 20+ min you may get some image retention as was otherwise mentioned. This will go away if you play video on the channel for about 30 seconds. My TV does run a little warm and uses more energy than an LCD/LED, those are the only two negatives I've found. Although as you mentioned, $700 is about half what you would have paid for a comparable LCD/LED. You'll probably pay $20 more a year in electricity so it is more economical to get the plasma.

Generally, burn in only happens for "bugs" (the little channel logo in the corner). As long as you're not watching CNN or something like that 24/7, burn in won't happen.

With games, you'd really probably only have issues if you played something like a really long RPG type game (like Fallout, as mentioned above) or you are one of those people that just bought your Xbox to play Call of Duty and nothing else, where all you display is the same HUD for hours upon end.

But if it's a cheap TV, don't worry about it. Just enjoy it...while saving up for an LCD. ;)

bread's done
Back