GPS Unit Help

TC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Looking for a GPS unit that I can move from car to car. Needs to have turn by turn directions and an easy way to input the addresses. I know nothing about these things at all so any real feedback from owners would be great. I'm willing to spend up to $300 for a really great unit, but would prefer to spend less.

Any help is appreciated!

I got a TomTom One 125 for about $100 before Christmas. It's been really easy to use, and has the features that you require. The TomTom mount is also very secure and easy to switch between vehicles.

If you have any Circuit Citys that are still open, check there. They had quite a few GPSs left at a local store even on the last day they were open. Garmin nuvi 255w for $150 is pretty decent.

Go to Radio Shack. I went there knowing nothing about them as well, and left there 90% certain which one I wanted. After a quick check on Amazon I went back the next day and bought it. Between the RS employee and the internet, I found out all I needed to know to make an informed decision.

As for your requirements, any retail model you buy will have all 3, however not all will have text-to-speech (says "make the next left onto x street" instead of the vague "turn left in 100 yards"). TTS helped me make my decision, and I really like it. Especially when it can't pronounce the name correctly :)

Thanks for the input thus far. Might be leaning towards a Garmin Nuvi 255w since it has Canadian maps included and I live 20 minutes from Canada. Flying to Tampa later this month and then driving to Miami and back to Tampa. My first real vacation in a couple of years so I want to spend it having fun, not getting lost.

I'm about to buy either of these two garmin units they were last years high end models. Now their dirt cheap. Seriously up until Nov/Oct of this year they were close to 500 bucks.
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-In...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236104028&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-760-Wi...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236104016&sr=1-1

The 750 is basically the 760 without the traffic report receiver. If you don't want that feature/don't want to pay the 60 dollar service fee for traffic reports the just the buy the 750. The only difference in the units is the color. The 760's traffic receiver is in the charger anyway. You can always just buy it and do a firmware update to run it if you really want it.

Both were 2008's best rated GPS units of the year. So they're good shit. Whenever you unplug the unit out of the car charger they remember their last location so you can easily find your car everytime. It's a nice feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back