Grab Your Best Unwashed Flannel, It's The Grunge Music Recommendation Thread

BlueSwim

CAGiversary!
Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, and Stone Temple Pilots. Those are the most-popular examples of Grunge music. Those are also almost the entire extent of my Grunge experience. I really don't know where to start when it comes to looking for good Grunge albums if it's not from one of those bands. I would like to listen more of the genre(preferably with a less-produced sound style), but I could use a little bit of help to find the stuff worth listening to. I have...

Nirvana:
Bleach, Nevermind, In Utero, Nirvana(self-titled greatest hits), Live At Reading

Alice In Chains:
Facelift, Dirt, Greatest Hits

Pearl Jam:
Ten, Yield

Soundgarden:
Superunknown

Stone Temple Pilots:
Purple

Foo Fighters
(Are they really Grunge?): Foo Fighters(self-titled), The Colour And The Shape

That's my Grunge album collection as it stands today. I'm considering L7's 'Bricks Are Heavy', Nirvana's 'With The Lights Out' & 'MTV Unplugged'(can't decide between the CD or DVD), Alice In Chains' self-titled album & 'Black Gives Way To Blue', and Soundgarden's 'Louder Than Love' albums. Beyond those, it's a stab in the dark. What are the must-have Grunge albums from lesser-known bands? Any personal insight would be much-appreciated.

Two glaring things you are missing are Nirvana's Unplugged (It is easily their best album), and Pearl Jam's "Vs.". A few other albums you might want to look into is STP's "Core", Soundgarden's "Badmotofinger", and Hole's "Pretty on the Inside" and "Live Through This". Also, alot of people really like The Melvins, and Mudhoney... you may want to give them a try.

I was never a big Pearl Jam fan, however, I do love their one song "Last Kiss." I was trying to find what album it was months (if not years) ago and apparently it's not on an album other than a compilation record with other artists (unless I overlooked it). I do recommend that song however.

[quote name='JStryke']I was never a big Pearl Jam fan, however, I do love their one song "Last Kiss." I was trying to find what album it was months (if not years) ago and apparently it's not on an album other than a compilation record with other artists (unless I overlooked it). I do recommend that song however.[/QUOTE]

That song is on both their Greatest Hits 2 CD Set "Rearview Mirror" and also on their "Lost Dogs" 2 CD Set.

As far a grunge CD's go I would pick up the soundtrack to "Singles" and also the CD from the band Mad Season if you can find it. The "Singles" soundtrack is pretty much all grunge and could have the best two Pearl Jam songs on it "Breathe" and "State of Live and Trust". Mad Season was made up from people from Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains and the CD is also very good but I think it might be out of print but iTunes does have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ajh2298']That song is on both their Greatest Hits 2 CD Set "Rearview Mirror" and also on their "Lost Dogs" 2 CD Set.

As far a grunge CD's go I would pick up the soundtrack to "Singles" and also the CD from the band Mad Season if you can find it. The "Singles" soundtrack is pretty much all grunge and could have the best two Pearl Jam songs on it "Breathe" and "State of Live and Trust". Mad Season was made up from people from Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains and the CD is also very good but I think it might be out of print but iTunes does have it.[/QUOTE]

+1

Chris Cornells song "seasons" on the singles soundtrack is awesome. I would also recommend getting the album from Temple of the Dog if you can find it. Also, look into Mother Love Bone. AIC unplugged is also amazing.

If I remember right the soundtrack to clerks has grunge on it. Might want to check it out.

The Pixies are a great pre-grunge band (i'd consider them pre grunge anyways) and influences a lot of the early 90s grunge movement.

Doolittle and Surfer Rosa are my personal favorites, Doolittle being arguably their best album.

Nice. I can look like Ray Romano!

Flannels were in when that show started. Not so much when it ended, but his wardrobe never changed.

My god is it 1990 and I'm in highschool all over again? Reading somewhere that Pearl Jam was having a 20th (20!) anniversary made me feel really old.

On a side note back around this time Spin magazine had posted a "grunge family tree" showing how all interconnected all the Seattle bands were. I used it as a shopping guide, went out and bought as much as I could. Mudhoney, Temple of the Dog, Motherlove Bone, Soundgarden, TAD, etc, etc.

Those are some of my favorite bands (Pearl Jam is my all time favorite, and has been since Ten came out).

I never really develed much into lesser known grunge bands like Screaming Trees so I can't help much there.

I would recommend filling out the album collections for those bands though. Every PJ, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains album is great IMO. All STP is great other than Shagri La Di Da and the newest one.

[quote name='Sycowulf']Two glaring things you are missing are Nirvana's Unplugged (It is easily their best album), and Pearl Jam's "Vs.". A few other albums you might want to look into is STP's "Core", Soundgarden's "Badmotofinger", and Hole's "Pretty on the Inside" and "Live Through This". Also, alot of people really like The Melvins, and Mudhoney... you may want to give them a try.[/QUOTE]Any preference between the DVD or CD of the Nirvana MTV Unplugged?

I know of one, maybe two, songs on 'Core'. I heard 'Sex Type Thing' in one of the Gran Turismo games. Great(if rather creepy) song.
[quote name='JJSP']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjNjJR9jUGo[/QUOTE]The second I heard "I'm not hungry" in the chorus, I remembered that song. Thank you!:D

[quote name='noelleRWE']The Pixies are a great pre-grunge band (i'd consider them pre grunge anyways) and influences a lot of the early 90s grunge movement.

Doolittle and Surfer Rosa are my personal favorites, Doolittle being arguably their best album.[/QUOTE]I do have The Pixies' 'Wave Of Mutilation' greatest hits album and it's really good. I'll have to check out those two albums, as well.

I recall that Kurt Cobain highly regarded them. Didn't he turn down an offer to play with them once for some respect-related reason?
[quote name='sendme']If I remember right the soundtrack to clerks has grunge on it. Might want to check it out.[/QUOTE]I'm listening to the :30 previews for it on Amazon as I type this. Great recommendation!:applause:

[quote name='Xevious']I dont see TAD or Mudhoney on that list OP.[/QUOTE]I'll check both of them out. Thank you!:D

[quote name='kevlar51']Nice. I can look like Ray Romano!

Flannels were in when that show started. Not so much when it ended, but his wardrobe never changed.[/QUOTE]:lol: I never thought about it, but you're right. Every time I think back, Ray's wearing flannel. I wonder if that's how he got a hot wife(on the show) like Patricia Heaton? Maybe he washes his flannel?

[quote name='eldergamer']My god is it 1990 and I'm in highschool all over again? Reading somewhere that Pearl Jam was having a 20th (20!) anniversary made me feel really old.

On a side note back around this time Spin magazine had posted a "grunge family tree" showing how all interconnected all the Seattle bands were. I used it as a shopping guide, went out and bought as much as I could. Mudhoney, Temple of the Dog, Motherlove Bone, Soundgarden, TAD, etc, etc.[/QUOTE]How quickly time flies by is scary as hell.

If I ever start a band, I'm calling it "Milf Bone" and crediting Motherlove Bone as an influence on the name.:lol:

[quote name='dmaul1114']Those are some of my favorite bands (Pearl Jam is my all time favorite, and has been since Ten came out).

I never really develed much into lesser known grunge bands like Screaming Trees so I can't help much there.

I would recommend filling out the album collections for those bands though. Every PJ, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains album is great IMO. All STP is great other than Shagri La Di Da and the newest one.[/QUOTE]That new album is just sitting on shelves. I saw four or five copies at Wal*Mart and it didn't look like any had been sold yet.

-----

Thank you, all, for the suggestions. The list of stuff to look in has shaped up quite nicely.

----Albums----

Nirvana - 'MTV Unplugged'

Pearl Jam - 'Vs.'

Clerks Soundtrack

STP - "Core"

Soundgarden - "Badmotofinger"

Hole - "Pretty on the Inside" "Live Through This"

Alice In Chains - 'Alice In Chains' 'Jar Of Flies'

----Bands----

Mudhoney

TAD

The Melvins

Temple Of The Dog

Motherlove Bone

Afaik the Nirvana Unplugged cd and dvd both have the same tracks on it, so do whatever you feel like. I do think the dvd is mastered in 5.1 audio, if that makes a difference.

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot Temple of the Dog... Good call to who recommended that, Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder in one band reeks of awesomeness.

The clerks soundtrack reminded me of a great band who is on there, though they may not be considered grunge per se, Soul Asylum. The track on that soundtrack "Can't even tell" is great, as is every album I have heard of theirs.

The MotherLoveBone album is CLASSIC.

But let me share some additional artists... seeing as this was probably the most influential genres of my life.

Green River
Screaming Trees
Dwarves
Walkabouts
L7
Dinosaur Jr
Afghan Whigs
Seaweed (Good luck finding their stuff)
Supersuckers
Gas Huffer
Sebadoh

Well... there's a start.

Also try looking up Sub Pop. They were pretty much THE label to launch most all of these bands.

Oh, yeah, I forgot Dinosaur Jr. They're great. Where You Been? and Without a Sound are the two albums I'd recommend to start with of theirs.

Also if you have sirius radio unless it ended channel 17 is 24/7 pearl jam radio. Not sure when it ends and 24 I think is lithum. Lithium plays stuff from the 90's. You can get I think 7 days free online just by using an email address.

And then around 94-95 I started working at my college's radio station. Suddenly grunge was too 'commercial'. Anything that got played on mainstream radio was out. It was all Pavement, Sebadoh, Sonic Youth and GBV for me.

[quote name='Sycowulf']Afaik the Nirvana Unplugged cd and dvd both have the same tracks on it, so do whatever you feel like. I do think the dvd is mastered in 5.1 audio, if that makes a difference.

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot Temple of the Dog... Good call to who recommended that, Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder in one band reeks of awesomeness.

The clerks soundtrack reminded me of a great band who is on there, though they may not be considered grunge per se, Soul Asylum. The track on that soundtrack "Can't even tell" is great, as is every album I have heard of theirs.[/QUOTE]I ordered the CD for MTV Unplugged this morning.:D

I offer you a high-five, a five-second pose, and the song of your choice played on a kazoo for the "reeks of awesomeness" comment.:applause:

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']The MotherLoveBone album is CLASSIC.

But let me share some additional artists... seeing as this was probably the most influential genres of my life.

Green River
Screaming Trees
Dwarves
Walkabouts
L7
Dinosaur Jr
Afghan Whigs
Supersuckers
Gas Huffer
Sebadoh

Well... there's a start.

Also try looking up Sub Pop. They were pretty much THE label to launch most all of these bands.[/QUOTE]Thank you so much!:D

I recognize the Sub Pop name from the 20th anniversary edition Bleach re-issue. I also found some albums by Seaweed on the Amazon MP3 store.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Oh, yeah, I forgot Dinosaur Jr. They're great. Where You Been? and Without a Sound are the two albums I'd recommend to start with of theirs.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='dkreegz515']local h - ham fisted. great song off it... Cynic.[/QUOTE]I'll give them both a listen. Thank you!:D

[quote name='sendme']Also if you have sirius radio unless it ended channel 17 is 24/7 pearl jam radio. Not sure when it ends and 24 I think is lithum. Lithium plays stuff from the 90's. You can get I think 7 days free online just by using an email address.[/QUOTE]Awesome! Thank you!:applause:
[quote name='eldergamer']And then around 94-95 I started working at my college's radio station. Suddenly grunge was too 'commercial'. Anything that got played on mainstream radio was out. It was all Pavement, Sebadoh, Sonic Youth and GBV for me.[/QUOTE]I can sort of understand the thinking behind some people shunning Grunge since it was "too commercial". I shun most of today's music for that very reason.:lol:

[quote name='pitfallharry219']U.P.O. is a band from the 00s, but they have a grunge sound. No Pleasantries is their best album.[/QUOTE]I had one of their songs, 'Now You Want Me', on a Pro-Wrestling CD. It was my favorite song from that album. The CD had something fall on it and *SNAP*.:cry:

[quote name='electronicthroat']What about the band "Live"? Their albums Throwing Copper and Secret Samadhi are great.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I liked them too, but they were never considered part of the grunge scene.

Check out the album Spanaway by Seaweed. Crush Us All and Magic Mountainman are two notable tracks. I still listen to this album often after all these years. Also, watch the documentary Hype. It's available to stream on Netflix.

Anybody here listen to satellite radio? I know there has been a pure Pearl Jam station for this entire month going on. It's really awesome. It's mostly just live tracks, but still, its fucking Pearl Jam!

[quote name='sendme']If I remember right the soundtrack to clerks has grunge on it. Might want to check it out.[/QUOTE]

I love that soundtrack for introducing me to Soul Asylum, but especially for the track Misery which completes the film.

[quote name='Sycowulf']Afaik the Nirvana Unplugged cd and dvd both have the same tracks on it, so do whatever you feel like. I do think the dvd is mastered in 5.1 audio, if that makes a difference.

The clerks soundtrack reminded me of a great band who is on there, though they may not be considered grunge per se, Soul Asylum. The track on that soundtrack "Can't even tell" is great, as is every album I have heard of theirs.[/QUOTE]

Yup, the clerks soundtrack was great.

By the way, does anyone know of any modern grunge, or grunge-type, bands? Anything that even sounds grunge influence would be appreciated. Proto-grunge, or new wave grunge, second wave grunge, or whatever they're calling it today. Most of today's sound/music doesn't have that hard edge to it that grunge did/ does.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']The MotherLoveBone album is CLASSIC.

Green River
Screaming Trees
Dwarves
Walkabouts
L7
Dinosaur Jr
Afghan Whigs
Supersuckers
Gas Huffer
Sebadoh

Well... there's a start.

Also try looking up Sub Pop. They were pretty much THE label to launch most all of these bands.[/QUOTE]

How old are you? This is about the same stuff that I listened to in college (92-96).:D

Also, Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" is their best album next to "Loud Love". "Ultramega OK" is decent, though.

Was early Pumpkins considered "grunge"? "Gish" is an amazing album.

Get some PJ Harvey, if you want to branch out a bit, too.

bread's done
Back