Grammy nominated King Diamond screams "Metal Heads Unite!!"

I ended up skipping Antisect. Felt like I should've gone but it was a packed week (with overtime as well) and I'm not actually huge on anarcho punk.

Still debating if I want to spend more money and go see Yob tomorrow night.

Good thing you saw Sleep now, Matt Pike is going into rehab for alcoholism. High On Fire isn't doing Mayhem Fest because of it, which sucks because I really wanted to see them there, even though they'd only be playing for 20 minutes.

I bought tickets last week for Katatonia and Devin Townsend, who are playing here in September.

And Gojira, Lamb of God and Dethklok in August.

A friend was talking to me about that Dethklok show last night. I'm interested in Dethklok because it seems fun but I'm not sure I can warrant sitting through the crap that is Lamb of God or the meh that is Gojira.

[quote name='tcrash247']That link doesn't work and I can't find the sale on their site, maybe I'm just missing it.[/QUOTE]

Ok. Lets try this again.

Here is a link to the sale page (not the metal cds section).
http://www.deepdiscount.com/Super-Bi-Annual-Sale-home

Not all metal discs are on sale but I went through them all and there are some deals to be had. DON'T FORGET TO USE THE COUPON CODE.

Off the top of my head, I saw several Motorhead, King Diamond, Judas Priest, Cannibal Corpse titles that were on sale. There were a lot more though.

EDIT: I noticed that Metal Blade was well represented in the sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shieryda']I bought tickets last week for Katatonia and Devin Townsend, who are playing here in September.[/QUOTE]

They apparently aren't fucking playing here which really pisses me off. I may have to go to Chicago or whatever is closest. Not really familiar with Katatonia but I definitely want to see Dev and Paradise Lost, I've never seen PD live before.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']A friend was talking to me about that Dethklok show last night. I'm interested in Dethklok because it seems fun but I'm not sure I can warrant sitting through the crap that is Lamb of God or the meh that is Gojira.[/QUOTE]

Saw Dethklok when they toured with Mastodon. Eeeepiiiic. Brendon signed my vinyl. I dig Gojira but can't imagine either band playing with Lamb of God, wtf.

Speaking of Dethklok, hopefully I'll be seeing Jeff Loomis next month.. Sucks that it isn't Nevermore, though. He was a brief voice actor on Metalocalypse, like a few metal figures.

Thursday, June 21:

Municipal Waste
3 Inches of Blood
Black Tusk
Weekend Nachos

Sat., July 14:

Dawnbringer
Oblong Box
Borrowed Time
The Skull
Bible of the Devil

I have never seen any of these bands, but I love Dawnbringer and 3 Inches of Blood.

Oh man, Weekend Nachos fucking rips. Wonder what the 3IOB fans are going to think of them. Dawnbringer are a weird one as well, but put out some damn fine shit.

Been on an old school death metal kick. Lots of Demilich, Infester, Nocturnus and the like. Weird evil shit.

Municipal Waste are playing a few days later in Philly without Weekend Nachos but with Corrosion of Conformity. I'm okay with that switch (more than okay, in fact).

[quote name='mykevermin']Municipal Waste are playing a few days later in Philly without Weekend Nachos but with Corrosion of Conformity. I'm okay with that switch (more than okay, in fact).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that would be cool.

fellow Rush fans, i just got the new album and it rocks really hard!! good stuff! also gonna pick up the new Pumpkins album tomorrow. Anyone know if the new Tenacious D cd kicks ass?

Recently discovered Dragonforce apparently put out a new album two months ago called "The Power Within". I'm in the middle of listening to it right now, and it sounds good. Two changes. They changed lead vocalists (although they sound somewhat similar to me) and the songs are much shorter. While there are times they still play fast, the album in general seems to be slower overall compared to past albums, and the fact that not every song is seven minutes helps. I have no issue with speed, but Dragonforce always went a bit overboard and it felt like their songs went on for too long. If these changes are to stay, it could be a positive future for them imo.

Sucks that the Gojira/Dethklok/Lamb of God tour got cancelled. Was really looking forward to seeing all 3 bands. Hopefully, Gojira announces something in the near future.

Did the new Testament album come out this week?

Has anyone acquired the new Baroness album? How does it compare to earlier albums?

New Baroness depends on how you liked their progression. If you thought Blue was an improvement over Red but wanted less sludge and more friendly rock you'll love Yellow & Green. If you thought Blue was a letdown after Red and want to see more grimy stuff like First and Second you're going to be sorely disappointed.

[quote name='shieryda']Sucks that the Gojira/Dethklok/Lamb of God tour got cancelled.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe Randy Blythe is still locked up. He's getting screwed hard by the Czech government.

I went to Mayhem Fest last night, first time seeing Anthrax, Motorhead and Slayer. Holy shit, Slayer and Motorhead blew me away. They were so tight and the sound was incredible. Shame Motorhead only got like 30 or 40 minutes, but they used it well! Anthrax was good, but the sound on the second stage is kinda shitty. Slipknot was pretty cool too. Also got to meet Anthrax and Kerry King, all really cool guys.

[quote name='shieryda']Did the new Testament album come out this week?[/QUOTE]

In a few days. Can't wait. From what I've heard it's the closest they've come to music that is similar to their 80's stuff while retaining their modern sound.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']New Baroness depends on how you liked their progression. If you thought Blue was an improvement over Red but wanted less sludge and more friendly rock you'll love Yellow & Green. If you thought Blue was a letdown after Red and want to see more grimy stuff like First and Second you're going to be sorely disappointed.[/QUOTE]

That's a very good way of putting it. It maybe hit or miss for some, Personally Im digging the first disc(yellow) but can't seem to get into the second disc(green). Too mellow for me I guess.

Anyone hear the new Shadows Fall? Best album they put out since The War Within. Check it out if you haven't.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Holy fuck.

Ain't gonna be everyone's cup of tea (especially those who scream about how he should only do Strapping Young Lad stuff), but HOLY fuck.

[/QUOTE]
Seeing Devin's progression through life, I respect that he isn't doing SYL no more. I mean I loved SYL, but when your not pissed off no more about life, what's the point :lol:. Plus I love everything he has done so far after SYL. It's really more so, he is doing what he wants to musically in life, but while he may do a more ambient record, or a more mainstream sounding record, it still has excellent musicianship to it. He always finds a way to take something simple, and make it way more complex and interesting. While an album like Addicted was a newish rock sounding album, it's still in my opinion more complex than a lot of stuff out on there nowadays.

I am really excited for Epicloud because it's supposed to be a big poppy like metal album. I want to see what he does to this genre.

New Testament is good. I admit I haven't taken to it as much as I had hoped (at least yet...could grow on me) but it's more that it's solid throughout, rather than having like 3 or 4 songs I think are absolutely killer, then 7 others that are ok like I sort of felt with the last album.

Definitely happy with it though. That said, if you don't buy the deluxe version I feel you're getting a little short-changed...9 tracks and it's not like most of them are these big Type O Negative length epics or anything. Deluxe version has the 9 tracks + 3 covers (Queen's Dragon Attack, Maiden's Powerslave, and Scorpions' Animal Magnetism) plus an extended version of one of the songs elsewhere on the album. Deluxe edition comes with a bonus DVD as well.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I am really excited for Epicloud because it's supposed to be a big poppy like metal album. I want to see what he does to this genre.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Honestly SYL is actually probably my least favorite stuff he's done (not that I dislike it, but it's at the bottom of the list for me). DTP in general has been a revelation for me. Ki is one of the few albums I'm comfortable at least considering to be my favorite album ever.

Super pumped for Epicloud. Seems like Addicted on steroids. Even poppier & on a grander scale.

I bought tickets to see Gojira today. They're still coming to Chicago, playing smaller venues and possibly by themselves (no opening act as of this writing).

[quote name='KaneRobot']New Testament is good. I admit I haven't taken to it as much as I had hoped (at least yet...could grow on me) but it's more that it's solid throughout, rather than having like 3 or 4 songs I think are absolutely killer, then 7 others that are ok like I sort of felt with the last album.

Definitely happy with it though. That said, if you don't buy the deluxe version I feel you're getting a little short-changed...9 tracks and it's not like most of them are these big Type O Negative length epics or anything. Deluxe version has the 9 tracks + 3 covers (Queen's Dragon Attack, Maiden's Powerslave, and Scorpions' Animal Magnetism) plus an extended version of one of the songs elsewhere on the album. Deluxe edition comes with a bonus DVD as well.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you said. I like it but I prefer the Formation of Damnation and the Gathering more. Its not to say this is a bad album though and I appreciate the fact that they tried something a little different - This album is more melodic and there is a lot more emphasis on guitar solos. Its definately a guitar driven album.

I just got High On Fire's The Art Of Self Defense remaster today. It's my favorite album by them, but they really don't put much into the remastering, it's sounds pretty identical. Sleep's Dopesmoker was the same as well, didn't sound any different, maybe a little louder. Not that there's anything wrong with the original recordings, but I expected there to be a reason to rebuy both albums. Even the demos they included on TAOSD sound identical to the final tracks. I guess not working on the remasters much isn't necessarily a bad thing though, considering Pantera's Cowboys From Hell remasters sounded like shit.

not metal but im gonna see Rush on October 20th, at Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. My first time seeing Rush, can't wait, im pretty excited

[quote name='tcrash247']I just got High On Fire's The Art Of Self Defense remaster today. It's my favorite album by them, but they really don't put much into the remastering, it's sounds pretty identical. Sleep's Dopesmoker was the same as well, didn't sound any different, maybe a little louder. Not that there's anything wrong with the original recordings, but I expected there to be a reason to rebuy both albums. Even the demos they included on TAOSD sound identical to the final tracks. I guess not working on the remasters much isn't necessarily a bad thing though, considering Pantera's Cowboys From Hell remasters sounded like shit.[/QUOTE]

Disappointing to hear the remaster isn't really worth it, but I'll still grab it since I don't even have the original version.

[quote name='snakemaster2389']not metal but im gonna see Rush on October 20th, at Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. My first time seeing Rush, can't wait, im pretty excited[/QUOTE]

Nice. Everyone should see at least one Rush concert before they move on to the next life.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Disappointing to hear the remaster isn't really worth it, but I'll still grab it since I don't even have the original version.[/QUOTE]

If you don't already own it then yes, this is a definite buy for you.

[quote name='snakemaster2389']not metal but im gonna see Rush on October 20th, at Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. My first time seeing Rush, can't wait, im pretty excited[/QUOTE]

Rush gets a pass from me! :cool:

[quote name='Xevious']I agree with what you said. I like it but I prefer the Formation of Damnation and the Gathering more. Its not to say this is a bad album though and I appreciate the fact that they tried something a little different - This album is more melodic and there is a lot more emphasis on guitar solos. Its definately a guitar driven album.[/QUOTE]

That Cold Embrace song sounds like it was something left on the cutting room floor during The Ritual sessions 20 years ago. The more I listen to this record the stranger it seems. It is really all over the place. On paper it should be my favorite album of their's ever...I loved Demonic w/ Gene on drums, and the rest of the band is the original lineup so that seems like it would be great. Something just didn't fall into place with this one.

[quote name='KaneRobot']That Cold Embrace song sounds like it was something left on the cutting room floor during The Ritual sessions 20 years ago. The more I listen to this record the stranger it seems. It is really all over the place. On paper it should be my favorite album of their's ever...I loved Demonic w/ Gene on drums, and the rest of the band is the original lineup so that seems like it would be great. Something just didn't fall into place with this one.[/QUOTE]

I hear what you saying .... its definately not from a lack of trying though.

I plan to listen to it some more... Maybe its a grower or maybe they may need a new producer for the next album (Someone to reign them in song wise). Its hard to say at this point though.

I listened to Testament's new album while I went for a run yesterday and I couldn't get over how bland the songwriting is. Formation at least had some tasty riffs.

Grave's new one is pretty good so far.

All the complaints Im hearing here about the new Testament are the same complaints my brother had. I thought he was just being picky but these seem to be common issues with the new album. I guess I'll skip it for now.

The more I hear the new Baroness, the more I like it.

Picked up the new Nachtmystium. Haven't heard it all, but I like what I hear so far.

Pretty much a holy grail for Type O Negative fans. I posted a few months ago about how someone paid 700 bucks for a cassette that Peter Steele made for a friend that had some of this stuff on it. Really for fans only as it's just early mixes of October Rust stuff, but still something fans of the band have known about and wanted for a long time. Pretty sure this isn't everything from the early mixes but considering exactly zero things were available from it before, I'm not bitching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ugzJNjMR0&feature=related

Listening to the new Baroness, I like the Yellow Part but the Green Part is harder for me to enjoy. It just feels to me like this very generic were trying to be cool and almost indie but heavier than indie rock.

Also I have to post this. Yes this is some Devin's less metal stuff, but I laughed my ass off at this one. I also respect Devin because he is that batshit crazy to make a video of him dancing like a retard, and he doesn't give a fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvmIByrcwAQ&feature=plcp

Just got tickets for the Maiden England tour (Iron Maiden) for Friday. I'm super-psyched. I have never seen them live but I've heard they put on a great show.

This tour is a recreation of their 1988 tour right after 7th Son of a 7th Son came out, and they're playing 100% old material but using modern pyrotechnics and stage design and all that.

bread's done
Back