Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes From Liberty City-Multiplayer thread-Tues-Weds 10pm

The episodes disc version is due out April 13th(THIS TUESDAY, finally:applause:)and so I'm asking anyone who wants to play on the CAG GTA Episodes night to post in this thread and let me know which mode(s) you'd like to play.

I should have the Episodes disc as of day one from my pre-order from Gamestop, so I should be able to play that first night.

My usual favorite mode is Free Mode, but we can play Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch or even Chopper vs. Chopper(biker vs. heli in a race like no other) or we can even do a full on APC race in Ballad Of Gay Tony.

Here's a review posted on IGN for the Episodes(thanks to LordKefka for providing the link): http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1082656p1.html

So, who wants to play some Free Mode rampages tonight to get a feel for GTA Episodes? The Episode we'll be playing tonight is: Ballad Of Gay Tony .

Last edited by a moderator:
BoGT is fun and I enjoyed it, TLatD is kinda meh (watch the southpark episode of Harley riders for my opinion of it). Brub brub brub

I personally can't wait for Red Dead Redemption to be able to free roam in multiplayer in that. That ought to be a bit interesting, though I'm having way too much fun in Just Cause 2 right now.

But thanks for the info on the episodes, since I know I knew very little about how fun or not each one was.

I really want this game but I think saving up $20 more dollars and getting Red Dead Redemption because I have been wanting a DECENT western shooter . Because I thought that both Call of Juarex were a total let down :)

I paid for my pre-ordered copy of this over a month ago thanks to flipping stuff from various stores. I don't think I've paid more than $15 for each of the games I've bought using credit at Gamestop over the past six months.

Between using $5 HWV sale games and stuff from those controller/game packs(Uncharted/Ratchet & Clank holiday bundles)and then exploiting that '$20 off any item' glitch which allowed you to just plunk the $20 discount as $20 in credit on the EDGE card, I amassed a TON of credit.

The first thing I'm going to do in this game is find all the new motorcycles and try and do different flips, spins, and grinds on them. Gay Tony doen't have as many modes as far as I know but it is supposed to have some crazy single player missions. From the looks of it and from what I've heard Lost and the Damned is a better single player game and it also has more multiplayer modes. I have a feeling I am going to be playing the lost multiplayer more on deathmatches and gay tony just for freemode and singleplayer. The lost also has a new version of turf war which is my favorite game mode when people aren't hiding like little children.

just a heads up:get your EFLC MP in early,like in the first couple weeks if you're buying for that reason.

I bought this for my 360 when it came out last october (didn't know it was coming for PS3,damn you ms and your endless moneyhats),and the multi pretty much was on life support 2 weeks later.too bad since it's pretty fun.

went back to this the last free xboxlive weekend to see what's up:TLAD completely dead,TBOGT could get a few people for races,free mode,DM/TDM. seeing as how this didn't sell real well and given the tendency for PS3 games to sell even less than 360 games,Id expect it to do even worse unfortunately.

[quote name='Neo-Nut']The first thing I'm going to do in this game is find all the new motorcycles and try and do different flips, spins, and grinds on them. Gay Tony doen't have as many modes as far as I know but it is supposed to have some crazy single player missions. From the looks of it and from what I've heard Lost and the Damned is a better single player game and it also has more multiplayer modes. I have a feeling I am going to be playing the lost multiplayer more on deathmatches and gay tony just for freemode and singleplayer. The lost also has a new version of turf war which is my favorite game mode when people aren't hiding like little children.[/QUOTE]

And I absolutely can't stand Turf War most of the time. But I want to try a race with the APC's like I saw on YouTube.:D That ought to be fun.:lol::booty:

That and I want to try a free mode in the expansion with the APC in it.

Of course, if the NEXT GTA game doesn't have the fully destructible enviro like Mercenaries 2 had, I may skip it. I wanna wreak some real havoc by blowing off chunks of buildings with rockets n grenades.

Mind you, Just Cause 2 is worse in that at times you can hit buildings full throttle in vehicles and not even a dent shows up on the building or the vehicle.:roll:

The next Gta will have too big of city's for destruction with the currernt game engine. You see how bad the game chugs with lots of vehicles in big rocket matches, imagine how bad it would be with buildings falling apart. Maybe they could have some shortcuts for cars to go through buildings like midnight club but I doubt there will be much in the way of destructable buildings unless they make a new game engine. I guess they might be able to pull it off if they did Vice City but I don't think that it would work well anywhere else. After I do some tricks on bikes I am going to mess around with all the new weapons. Since there is some sort of explosive sniper I hope they brought the code from GTA3 back where you could blow people limbs off including there heads. I know a lot of people on psn will be playing this for a long time so I'm not to worried about finding games even though for some gay reason people have to choose between 3 gta 4 games now.
I'm really looking forward to the stories because I hated the one in the original gta4. I kept hearing about how great it was and when I finally played it, the story was nothing like the reviews made it out to be.

Yeah. I was kind of hoping they allowed you to just kind of be like 'eh whatever' with both endings. I never really connected with any of the characters in GTA IV.

I hated doing all of the 'friend' shit and the dates. I would always just intentionally run a car into a gas pump n blow everybody up rather than put up with 20 minutes or so of yawn worthy crap. Then again, I never could get the hang of throwing darts in the game. So maybe that was it and I just sucked at doing all of the side junk.

About the only thing to do with friends that I enjoyed was going to play a game of pool at one of the places with a table. My one buddy and I used to spend hours in the two player mode in San Andreas playing at the neighborhood bar by Grove Street.

As for the destructibility thing, I really don't need my next city in the next game to be massively detailed. I wouldn't care if they made it like the enviro for Mercs 2, though the buildings took fuckin' forever to annihilate in that, though I DID use a bunker buster bomb on the Universal Petroleum(one of the factions in the game)HQ.

It was fun as hell just watching the building crumble into the ground. When I reloaded the game the next time I played it was STILL destroyed too.:shock: I just hope I don't have to do anymore missions for them or I think I'm fucked.

Just a heads up for those waiting, you might check your local Best Buy as some already have it on the shelf. I'm already a 1%er in Lost and Damned, w00t!
DSC01222.jpg

[quote name='yanya']Just a heads up for those waiting, you might check your local Best Buy as some already have it on the shelf. I'm already a 1%er in Lost and Damned, w00t!
DSC01222.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I completely forgot it was coming out this next coming week(after the fuckin' delay caused by them editing the Euro version:roll::bomb:)and I'm not even 50% done with Just Cause 2 as of yet.:cry:

I kinda wish the next full on GTA game adds in a video recording function like JC2 has, since that would be insane to be able to upload all sorts of nutty stunts you've done. It would definitely be better than the shaky cam videos I've seen from people recording what's going on on screen from their chair.

I just picked this up at target. Some of these stores probably never changed the release date when it got delayed and just put them on the shelves when they got them in stock.

I just called Gamestop, where I've had this reserved for over a month now, and they told me Tuesday.:bomb:

Oh well. It's not like the credit I used to get it was made dollar for dollar by trades. Otherwise, I'd probably go to any other retailer and get this.

OK Boys and girls. Who picked this up days ago and who just got it last night/this morning? What modes do you want to play in which game(TLAD/BOGT)? And what night(s) out of the week and time(s) are the most people on CAG free to play some multiplayer in this?

anyone know the HDD install size for the episodes disc? or if you already have GTAIV installed then you don't need to install to play the episodes disc???

If you have the Episodes disc version, you do NOT need the GTA IV disc to play it. But if you get the downloadable version, then you NEED GTA IV to play it. As for the HDD space needed, it looks like it says 3gb's, but they're using the new smaller type font on the back of the Episodes boxart, so I can barely read the friggin' thing.

I have a question for anybody who has bought the game. I haven't downloaded 3.21, I'm always leery about these updates after 2.00 bricked my PS3 back in November 2007. Does the game still work on a PS3 with 3.15 installed? Sony says games and Blu-Ray movies in the future won't work if you don't have 3.21 installed.

[quote name='ArmorForVictor']so even if i have GTAIV installed to my HDD i'll still need to install 3gigs to play the episodes disc as well?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. That seems like what you'll have to do. I'm just glad I have a 120gb slim so I have 60-70 to work with still.

As for your question lustyhitter, you should be able to play on a PS3 with only 3.15 installed, though I ended up installing 3.21 since I have a slim and the other OS thing wasn't ever on my system.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Yeah. That seems like what you'll have to do. I'm just glad I have a 120gb slim so I have 60-70 to work with still.

As for your question lustyhitter, you should be able to play on a PS3 with only 3.15 installed, though I ended up installing 3.21 since I have a slim and the other OS thing wasn't ever on my system.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll see if I can buy it tomorrow. Shouldn't be hard to find.

I'm surprised I haven't been playing it as of yet. I've had it for at least a couple of hours now, but I'm holding off until I play Just Cause 2 some more. That is, unless some CAG's want to get together tonight for the inaugural GTA: Episodes multiplayer night.

Post up your PSN name and connection speed in here. Highest speed player should be host. I'm on lowly 768kbps speed DSL for now, but I'm looking into having Verizon price and speed match Juno DSL if possible, since they're offering 3mbps for $24 a month.

I was planning on waiting on this... but I will probably end up getting it before the weeks out. I want to have a lot of wide open time for Red Dead.

My internet situation is a little sketchy... I have a fast cable connection now, but will probably be staying someplace that has a DSL starting in a few days. I'll update when I know more... and when I have the game.

Cool. Let us know. If my internet situation changes, I'll update too. But for a newer house, whoever did the wiring for our phone did a sucky job. We used to have a sports radio station playing over the phone in the background when I had a non cordless phone.

If I had the cash, I would have Verizon come here and re-wire the damn line for us, but they weren't the ones who did it in the first place. That's what my family gets for trying to save a buck instead of having shit done right the first time though.:roll:

Hopefully we don't experience the phantom kicks in the Episodes like we used to in GTA IV. Having that happen when you were in the middle of a 20 minute game and in the lead with like 10-12 kills really sucked, since you lost ALL of your money for that game and typically couldn't rejoin the same game because it would say you were kicked by everyone else.

I just got done playing a bit ago. I was going through the story for Ballad Of Gay Tony and it was insane. You do the one mission that sort of ends up like Three Leaf Clover from GTA IV with a HUGE shootout with cops/SWAT.

Then I tried the multiplayer for about 10-15 minutes and I sent an invite to a friend of mine who was playing GTA IV and it allowed me to send the invite. He never joined my game, but I definitely want to try that again with someone else with GTA IV and see if they can accept the invite and come into a game in the Episodes or not.

I had some of the sticky bombs in the mp I was playing and another player set them off by shooting them. It was kinda insane.

all 3 games have their own multiplayer so only someone playing the same episode/GTAIV can join you and i'm up for free roam or races when i get it not really into deathmatch and i have a headset

That is so lame that there are 3 gta freemodes now!
What's even worse is that my ps3 fried right before the game came out.
Luckily i just got a 400 dollar check from the government so I might be able to pick up a ps3 this week. Only problem is i heard the new run of ps3's comes out in 30 days so I still don't know what I should do. If I do get my ps3 in the next 30 days you have been warned. I have a lot of anger built up from my ps3 and car dying so I am going to rape everyone I see in this game.

Got the game. I usually start the game off by driving around the city or walking around. One thing I love doing in Liberty City is pointing my gun at smokers and then seeing them flee.

The game works on a 3.15 PS3. I'm probably going to go to 3.21 when I switch Internet Providers sometime in the spring.

[quote name='Mr. 420']That is so lame that there are 3 gta freemodes now!
What's even worse is that my ps3 fried right before the game came out.
Luckily i just got a 400 dollar check from the government so I might be able to pick up a ps3 this week. Only problem is i heard the new run of ps3's comes out in 30 days so I still don't know what I should do. If I do get my ps3 in the next 30 days you have been warned. I have a lot of anger built up from my ps3 and car dying so I am going to rape everyone I see in this game.[/QUOTE]

:lol: It felt kinda weird playing free mode in BOGT last night, but I never did get to try out the parachute and do some base jumping with it since I quit out soon after I made a game.

Good part is that the phone in the game detects your preferences from the original GTA IV, so I had a cops off, no friendly fire, no auto aim free mode going from the start.

Although the colors on the HUD are f'n annoying. Purplish/pinkish.:roll:

Alright. I've had a bit of time with Ballad Of Gay Tony and it's multiplayer and thus far I'm impressed.

I found myself using the APC last night(found at the East Holland police HQ on Algonquin)to mow down cars and peds in a Free Mode. I also used one of the new choppers(equipped with unlimited rockets) to destroy ALOT of vehicles.

The weapons themselves in game seem quite overpowered, but that just aids the cause of destroying more stuff.;) Within 20 minutes, I found myself with not only what seemed like a sniper/grenade launcher, but also a standalone grenade launcher and numerous other great weapons.

Of course, how could I forget to mention the new music in BOGT. I tuned into Liberty Rock Radio and within a 10 minute time span I heard The Doors, Bon Jovi and AC/DC(or a good soundalike anyway). They also have a great station called Vice City FM in the game with Fernando Martinez(from GTA Vice City)as the DJ.

Great game and well worth the $20 via download(per episode) or $40 for disc version.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's alright. I didn't expect any real turnout on the inaugural night.:cry: Chances are I'll be playing this tonight anyway and if anyone is on and wants to play it they're welcome to send a friend request/request for an invite.

I'm just screwing around in a Free Mode most times anyway, though if anyone wants to play something other than Free Mode just let me know here or vote for it when invited to a game I make.

I was looking forward to the episodes but for $20 for add on content... I guess I'll just wait for a sale on the disc version.

Even though I said I wouldnt I think I am going to get this game via DLC. Does anyone know if there is a 24 hours lock so if I gameshare w/ a friend ?

[quote name='option.iv']I was looking forward to the episodes but for $20 for add on content... I guess I'll just wait for a sale on the disc version.[/QUOTE]

I've already managed to get at least $20 worth of value out of the Ballad Of Gay Tony episode just from the rampages in APC's and what not. It's just a ton of fun. Although the races/GTA races in BOGT are kinda limited to sports cars, luxury, APC and maybe one other classification. The deathmatch/team deathmatch is set up not on whole sections of the city but specific locations and there's not enough people playing it as of yet to make it worthwhile, so you'll be dying ALOT if playing with totally random people.

But the Free Mode is still tons of fun.:D;)

waiting for my copy to be delivered by the mailman today i might be up for some free roam this weekend if anyone is interested L&D or BOGT i don't care

I played a bit of LATD free roam last night with a friend and it just didn't seem as fun as the BOGT one. Then again, there's no APC or rocket/chaingun attack chopper in that game, so maybe that was it.

does episodes install less to the HDD if you have GTAIV installed? mine says it only installed about 2.9GB compared to 3.4GB like it says on the box

It could. I didn't check what size the install was that it did on my HDD. Though now I am a bit intrigued to see if it did install a smaller file.

The only thing that bugs me about using the disc version over the digital download one is that with the dd version you get to have the music and other content from GTAIV as opposed to just the content from the episodes if using the episode disc version.

Then again, I'm enjoying the music in the episodes more than I think I enjoyed most of the music from the main game.

No. The episodes have their own free mode, their own deathmatch and team deathmatch and a piddily selection of races from what I've seen.

I've only played maybe 1-2 deathmatch games and the weapons(for BOGT) take some getting used to as do the locations for the matches. They seem to zoom in on certain sections of each island to make zones you can play in, though they don't penalize you if you stray outside of the zone luckily.

I finally figured out the sticky bombs last night. You have to press down on the d-pad to activate/detonate them once you place them. I was practicing with them for about 20 minutes last night in the event anyone I play against ever ends up grabbing this game and wants to play some dm/tdm.

But LATD has an interesting mode I'd definitely like to try out sometime called Chopper vs. Chopper. It also has a bunch of other different modes in comparison to BOGT, though I only really tried a Free Mode in that game and it's like playing the Free Mode in GTAIV with the same weapons and what not.

Ah. I finally got around to playing some GTA4 multiplayer the other night, and was hoping the base wasn't fractured. I'll probably get the Episodes sometime after summer, so I'll jump in that game's multiplayer from time to time.

bread's done
Back