Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info (PS3) OUT NOW PS3 review score = 99.6%

Gamefly sent out my copy from Tampa, sweet. Might be here tomorrow, otherwise Wednesday .. unless the mail decides to take a week. I expect to hear some more opinions tonight, I'm gonna probably buy mine after I move.

[quote name='dallow']You can't at the moment, you can only go by what 99% of the media is saying.
No one can tell a difference from the dumb streaming videos online.

You can tomorrow though. With two copies of the game, on the same TV, with the same settings.[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty expensive way to do it. Even if you rent both copies then buy one, you're looking at nearly $80, over $100 for the SE.

Unless someone comes along and says the PS3 version blows away the 360 version (which is exactly what isn't being said), then I'll feel fine in my assumption the DLC basically acts as a tie-breaker.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']That's a pretty expensive way to do it. Even if you rent both copies then buy one, you're looking at nearly $80, over $100 for the SE.

Unless someone comes along and says the PS3 version blows away the 360 version (which is exactly what isn't being said), then I'll feel fine in my assumption the DLC basically acts as a tie-breaker.[/quote]
Ok.......... no one has said the PS3 blows it away visually.
Not even in this thread.

I'm just saying we can only go by what the people who do have a chance to test both versions under the same conditions say.

And they say it looks slightly better.
That's good enough for me.

You already said the final word, there is no wrong choice.

Every bit of that, we're in agreement. There are people that have said it looks 'substantially' better, or that the PS3 is a substantially better choice, which contradicts what all the people who have actually played both versions say.

I think it's just a matter of overzealousness of a few fanboys on either side, and it's important to try to cut through any of that.

I think I might be the only one that doesn't give a shit about this game... Really missed that memo and the hype for this game. : shrug :

[quote name='VipFREAK']I think I might be the only one that doesn't give a shit about this game... Really missed that memo and the hype for this game. : shrug :[/quote]Do you want a cookie?

[quote name='zengonzo']I've heard reports that neither version has integrated user soundtracks. On the 360 you can play your own music in the blade, of course, but it plays over cellphone calls and such.

There's still the chance that you can 'upgrade' your phone in the game, perhaps. Or some other unlockable.

Anyhow, I'll be disappointed, but fuck it.[/QUOTE]

Actually I find customized soundtracks useless in GTA. Part of the experience I've found is in the soundtrack and the radio stations which are always excellent.

Just purchased a Dualshock 3. Got it for free... with some... method... =P

And switched my 360 preorder to PS3! Yay! Ready to go!
It's great that the six axis looks exactly like the dualshock.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Just purchased a Dualshock 3. Got it for free... with some... method... =P

And switched my 360 preorder to PS3! Yay! Ready to go!
It's great that the six axis looks exactly like the dualshock.[/quote]

what method? PM me... I am interested...

Uhhh, iHack, sounds like DarNessBear pulled a switcheroo and bought a DS3, opened it, and replaced it with the SixAxis when he returned it back to the store he bought it from....

[quote name='tenaciousjack']Uhhh, iHack, sounds like DarNessBear pulled a switcheroo and bought a DS3, opened it, and replaced it with the SixAxis when he returned it back to the store he bought it from....[/quote]

Oh if thats the case, forget it, I wouldn't stoop that low. . .

Just got back from the midnight release from GS. Got my nice sexy GTA4 SE sitting here on my desk. Line was fucking crazy long too, I was about 20th in line, and they let 6-7 people in at a time.

I roll past my local GS every night as it is on the road heading to my house. There was about 40 people sitting on cars and "camping" out around 9:45 my time. Going to go up there around 12:15 and get in line to get my pre-order.

And I like custom sound tracks when I've heard all of the radio stations' music and chat. Takes a while to get to that point, but it is better to have my own mix when I'm not doing anything and am just goofing off.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I roll past my local GS every night as it is on the road heading to my house. There was about 40 people sitting on cars and "camping" out around 9:45 my time. Going to go up there around 12:15 and get in line to get my pre-order.

And I like custom sound tracks when I've heard all of the radio stations' music and chat. Takes a while to get to that point, but it is better to have my own mix when I'm not doing anything and am just goofing off.[/quote]

There was over 75 people at my GS waiting in line. It was fucking pouring down rain too, and these annoying ass kids were of course behind me being fucking annoying. They looked maybe 13, if that they had both there parents with them. I was like " You two going to fuck a hooker in a car when you get the game? Mom: WHAT WHAT WHAT!!! (Think of Kyle's mom from South Park) lol. Dad was all chil and was like hunny relax it's a game. :lol:

[quote name='Dark Slayer120']T...these annoying ass kids were of course behind me being fucking annoying. They looked maybe 13, if that they had both there parents with them. I was like " You two going to fuck a hooker in a car when you get the game? Mom: WHAT WHAT WHAT!!! (Think of Kyle's mom from South Park) lol. Dad was all chil and was like hunny relax it's a game. :lol:[/quote]

:rofl:

There's two gamestops at the local strip mall here (one used to be EB). It makes an L shape and past the corner either direction about 100 yards is where the stores are located. One had a few people with a grill and some kind of army paintball exhibition setup.. probably 15 people total at 11:15. The one on the other side had no promotional setups but judging by the cars close to about 30 people.

by 12 there were around 70 people at my nearby store.. alot of smelly people. no matter, im wating for the game to install on my harddrive.

Woooooo I got my copy! GS was freakin packed. The launch was crazy. The cops showed up and started to bust some balls about the people there, but they let them buy the game. They were giving out gift cards (I won $5). I'm installing the game now. I am so pumped.

I saw a guy with a large BBQ smoker too. I think he did well, since all the leg bones were all over the sidewalk and in the street. Which one of the employees got his girl friend to start swiping up... ah love.

My store had action DVD's playing on their display systems once you got inside. They also had some disco lights or something. All the employees were wearing ties and such trying to look "gangsta". Only, the manager had a security guard outfit with a big flashlight and he was checking ID's at the door. Think they were going for some kind of low life club look. Not sure if they really got close with all the used games on the walls, but at least they tried. They even had a ratty red carpet rolled out the door hah.

Bollocks, I have a 60GB. My copy's still sealed and waiting for me to do some more writing and then finish Lost Odyssey tomorrow.

I'll wait until then to get the final verdict on this game's issues with the PS3. What a fuckin' nightmare if this is widespread.

Launch 60GB is locking up on me too. :bomb: Can't get past first cutscene.

Someone posted this on the sony boards:

Just spoke with tech support - they asked if I purchased at Gamestop. Are all with freezing Gamestop buyers? They said Gamestop may have gotten a batch of bad games.

Where I got mine... Guessing that most people who have it now got it there too.

LOL NVM=

This isnt a dodgy disc issue ... my disc can work on any other ps3 except the 60gbs... so it seems to be something between the code and the 60gb.

This is pretty much a confirmed 60 GB bug (not sure on 20 GB)... fuck

We'll have to ride it out and see what happens, as we speak more and more threads are popping up though...

[quote name='freakyzeeky']GTA IV PS3 themes ftw :)

http://www.psu.com/A1-GTA-IV--theme-1259.php[/quote]
Nice thanks!

68856_6584-preview.png

[quote name='dallow']Lots of people playing fine with 60GBs over at GAF.
Hope it's isolated....[/quote]

I hope it isn't because I am TIRED of being in the 1% that has problems which are "okay" to over look. I want something to work the way it should as soon as I take it out of the box, and last for more then- gah, I'll stop ranting (weak one I know). Just sick of getting a pat on the head while everyone is enjoying their games and not paying attention.

[quote name='psunami']I didn't get any freezing cutscenes on my 60 GB unit.[/quote]

Not just the cut scened. Seemingly random freezing is happening. I skipped the first cutscene and drove for a little bit, went to change my controls to classic and it locked up in the menu.

I'm really enjoying the game so far.
I took my date bowling. It was actually fun. I couldn't believe it.

I'm about to hop on multiplayer and test it out. Has anyone registered with that Rockstar Social program? Is it recording everything you do?

I have a 20GB PS3 and just played for about 3 hours straight with no problems.

EDIT - people are asking about where the game was purchased, mine is from GS.

[quote name='Blackout542']I'm really enjoying the game so far.
I took my date bowling. It was actually fun. I couldn't believe it.

I'm about to hop on multiplayer and test it out. Has anyone registered with that Rockstar Social program? Is it recording everything you do?[/quote]

I gotta ask, did you
go and help Roman
before
taking Michelle bowling?
I did, and you get a lot of shit for it. In fact, a lot of the dialogue thereafter makes references to it, so I'm just wondering what the difference is.

When I finally did do the other mission,
I just picked Roman up and drove him home. The next mission involved fighting some guys on a basketball court, and then chasing one who ends up falling out of a warehouse into the river. Sound right?

Did you guys buy this game from GameStop? I read somewhere on N4G that there was a shotty batch of GTA IV's that were shipped to GameStop that might be causing these problems.

bread's done
Back