Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info (PS3) OUT NOW PS3 review score = 99.6%

So I'm flipping through channels now, and Law & Order is on.. the main topic?? A kid runs over and kills a woman and the prosecuter is saying THIS IS NOT A GAME, a real person bled and died. Apparently the kid liked to play some violent video game. and then now at the end, I forgot his name is trying to talk to his kid and wants to play/talk to him rather him play VG's

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT... hahah

[quote name='hone']it's pretty standard dallow. Games industry aside. That's why rockstar probably contracted it out. They just want to focus on game dev and not the other stuff. Even websites do this kind of thing or iTunes or any web service. Hell ESPN contract outs all their media deliver as does ABC, NBC, etc. Gamespy probably had no idea for expectation on load. This was similar for WoW as well when running the MMO servers. Every time a patch would come out the servers would "die" or crawl. I mean now Blizzard contracts that stuff out. It's way too expensive to buy servers for something so infrequent. I mean I've worked for a company that takes these kind of contracts for media delivery and website stuff. You can then spread the distribution of these "spikes" because they don't happen at the same time for every company so it works out.[/quote]

So being unprepared is okay because it's someone else's fault?

Worst. Excuse. Ever.

Seriously, what's going to happen when Metal Gear Online comes out of beta, goes to a full release and crashes?

What's going to happen when Little Big Planet (which is supposed to be about user generated content being up and downloaded) comes out and crashes?

Word is going to spread that Sony's online system just doesn't hold up, and people are going to stop buying PS3s and games.

I've already changed my mind to a "wait and see if it works" stance about Little Big Planet - and that was a must buy for me before, simply because Sony is continually unprepared.

As for GTA

I'm really surprised there are no hidden packages or rampages - as far as I can tell.

Also, I'm on a 60 gig PS3 and I've had *no* issues with the game freezing, which is nice.

[quote name='Thomas96']Delete the 3.34gb save file that was generated and left the game reinstall itself. That's the fix to the problem according to Rockstar.[/quote]

Going to give it a shot but i haven't seen anyone say that works.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Sarcasm aside, it's immensly more reliable. I've not seen any reports of it going down, have you?

I'm just saying for event like this, I know who I'd put my money with.[/quote]
Just stop.

I've have had maybe 2 issues with PSN since launch concerning not being able to connect at all.
You just bought a PS3 right?

People are playing on PSN as I type from reading posts at GAF.
So while it might not be working for some, it's up.
And soon, it'll be smooth as butter for all, as are all other PSN games.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Seriously, what's going to happen when Metal Gear Online comes out of beta, goes to a full release and crashes?

What's going to happen when Little Big Planet (which is supposed to be about user generated content being up and downloaded) comes out and crashes?[/quote]

I'm just going out on a limb here, but I suspect what's going to happen is that they're not going to work flawlessly on day one and you're going to get on the net and bitch about it.

[quote name='bmachine']I'm just going out on a limb here, but I suspect what's going to happen is that they're not going to work flawlessly on day one and you're going to get on the net and bitch about it.[/quote]
I'm gonna put my money on that as well.

[quote name='bmachine']I'm just going out on a limb here, but I suspect what's going to happen is that they're not going to work flawlessly on day one and you're going to get on the net and bitch about it.[/quote]

And what should I be doing instead? Playing the games.

That's the problem.

It's called waiting a few days.
I waited two years for this game, I think I'll live.

You can play the spectacular single player story just fine.

Just picked it up. It's installing now, so I have a few minutes to kill. I bought into the hype completely. I'm weak. . .;)

So, when's the CAG PS3 GTAIV night? That is, when the fix the online problems.

[quote name='bmachine']Does the game introduce you to the pigeon-killing thing at some point, or are you just expected to figure it out (or read about it on the CAG forums)? ;)[/quote]

I'm not sure. I've played maybe 5 or 6 story missions and nothing has come up. Another lame thing is you have to kill them with guns. You can't use your fists or a baseball bat. Oh and guess what? Cops come when shots are fired, so watch out for that. Kind of annoying. I can beat a man to death with my fists but can't take on a little bird?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']So, the same guy who proved that Halo 3 was running at a low resolution has now outed the PS3 version of GTA4 as running at upscaled 640p, with no real antialiasing:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=134736

That explains the "softer" look people say the PS3 version has.

I'm interested in how people will try to spin this. And by the way, don't fucking shoot the messenger.[/quote]
Damn dude, you're like a day late on this news.

"soft" doesn't equal resolution, as Halo 3 and many other games have shown.
It doesn't use AA but does use FP16.

Not to mention that Quazi (the pixel counter) guy still prefers PS3's visuals, as does 99% of the media.

[quote name='dallow']It's called waiting a few days.
I waited two years for this game, I think I'll live.

You can play the spectacular single player story just fine.[/quote]

Yeah, but you're acting like I'm asking for unicorns and leprechauns to reenact "Two Girls One Cup".

I simply want the damn game to work 100% out of the box when I put it in the console. That's not too much to ask. I feel for the people who have freezing problems. At least that one isn't Sony or MS's fault.

Look, I understand, and I'm grateful, that Sony's offering free online play. I get what a big deal this is. It just seems like they're not taking it seriously enough to have online play ready for high profile games, and I think it's going to reflect badly on them in the future.

I *want* the PS3 to do well, I don't want to see major cluster fucks like this.

[quote name='dallow'] Not to mention that Quazi (the pixel counter) guy still prefers PS3's visuals, as does 99% of the media.[/quote]

Honestly, I'm happier with reports that there's less pop-in in the PS3 version. The graphics side by side look pretty much the same.

It's funny, I drive around, and I keep thinking I recognise a bit from the "old" Liberty City from GTA 3, then it changes too quickly for me to decide if I do or not.

Also
Chatterbox went off the air? :(

[quote name='Nephlabobo']So being unprepared is okay because it's someone else's fault?

Worst. Excuse. Ever.

Seriously, what's going to happen when Metal Gear Online comes out of beta, goes to a full release and crashes?

What's going to happen when Little Big Planet (which is supposed to be about user generated content being up and downloaded) comes out and crashes?

Word is going to spread that Sony's online system just doesn't hold up, and people are going to stop buying PS3s and games.

I've already changed my mind to a "wait and see if it works" stance about Little Big Planet - and that was a must buy for me before, simply because Sony is continually unprepared.

As for GTA

I'm really surprised there are no hidden packages or rampages - as far as I can tell.

Also, I'm on a 60 gig PS3 and I've had *no* issues with the game freezing, which is nice.[/quote]

but it's done through gamespy not psn. meaning you can play cod4 or warhawk but since ut3 uses gamespy it was done today as well. it's not really an excuse but how the state of things are. most peopel are going to buy a big hype game like gta4 if the mp works on the day after launch or not. by not doing the infra, you save a lot of $$$$

Wow, the quality of the box, artbook and keychain are a lot higher than I expected.

CD tracklist is a snoozefest and in a shitty papersleeve. 16 tracks. Looks like a sampling of all the stations except jazz.

There was also an extra baggie in here that was empty..... kinda weird.

Game is dope. Already through a few missions, and a date. Controls are pretty sluggish during fights, but I have yet to shoot a gun. Cars handle much more realistically, and almost force you to drive with the traffic. Visuals are pretty nice, but playing Uncharted recently has me kinda spoiled. I hope the multiplayer will work for some cag action later, but if not I have nothing to be angry at. This is the first time I have been truly giddy as an adult for a game. I haven't even skipped a stone across the surface of the secrets in the game. I stole a hummer type vehicle on my way to save roman on a mission and when I got out I had some object stuck in my hand and I couldn't fight. I had to pull my phone out to drop it and fight. This game will keep me entertained forever.

So only the multiplayer is facing problems? Not single player?

I just picked mine up, i'm about to install it soon. I also have a 60gb so I hope I am free of problems.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Yeah, but you're acting like I'm asking for unicorns and leprechauns to reenact "Two Girls One Cup".
[/quote]

Aside from everyone's bitching and fighting, this is the best line ever. Definitely signature worthy.

[quote name='dallow']Wow, the quality of the box, artbook and keychain are a lot higher than I expected.[/quote]

That's what I said to myself as soon as I opened mine. The security box first of all is much bigger than I expected. Secondly, it's a much better quality than I thought it would be as well.

[quote name='dallow']There was also an extra baggie in here that was empty..... kinda weird.[/quote]

Haha I noticed that as well.

[quote name='cdietschrun']So is the PSN down? I can't seem to get online to check my stats.[/quote]Does it say that you need to be signed into the network to be able to view stats? It's been doing that to me all day.

[quote name='DefinedByClass13']Aside from everyone's bitching and fighting, this is the best line ever. Definitely signature worthy.[/quote]

You know, I've only played a bit and pretty good. I think saints row (as retarded as the story and theme was) might have ruined some of the gameplay aspects of this game for me. If it was a jump from San andreas to this game I would've been way more thrilled. But some of the gameplay elements are worse than saints row like weapon switching and the aiming is awkward at times.

well i've only put in a couple of hours, lets see how much better it gets.

[quote name='lbradeen']Going to give it a shot but i haven't seen anyone say that works.[/quote]

I experienced the game freezing on me. I was on my way to pick up my bitch Michelle and everything froze on the screen for about thirty seconds. Than when I that was over I went to go pick that bitch up. When I got there she dared asked me why I was late. I yelled at my TV "Cause the fucking game froze for 30 seconds and thats like three hours in your time BITCH!!!" Than we went bowling and for whatever reason she did not invite me up for warm coffee.

Should I still do the un-install even if it kinda happened once, or should I just play until a complete freeze. I just got done with my first date with that non-understanding skank Michelle.

[quote name='bmachine']Does it say that you need to be signed into the network to be able to view stats? It's been doing that to me all day.[/quote]

Yes thats what I am getting.

[quote name='Davestation']I experienced the game freezing on me. I was on my way to pick up my bitch Michelle and everything froze on the screen for about thirty seconds. Than when I that was over I went to go pick that bitch up. When I got there she dared asked me why I was late. I yelled at my TV "Cause the fucking game froze for 30 seconds and thats like three hours in your time BITCH!!!" Than we went bowling and for whatever reason she did not invite me up for warm coffee.

Should I still do the un-install even if it kinda happened once, or should I just play until a complete freeze. I just got done with my first date with that non-understanding skank Michelle.[/quote]

Just keep playing. I'm seeing other people having freezing issues post the start of the game but if you can play it, I'd just keep going and not change anything. Mainly because we really don't know what the issue is yet or how to fix it.

Neogaf is up to 15 pages or so with people trying to work it out. I just hope if it takes a patch or something, it doesn't take 2 weeks like normal.

My new favorite quote:

Roman: This is my friend Brucie. We met on the internet.
Nico: Lovemeet.net?
Brucie: NO!
Roman: Brucie's a dreamer, like me. He understands my vision.
Nico: Ah...so he's an idiot?

LOL!

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Yeah, but you're acting like I'm asking for unicorns and leprechauns to reenact "Two Girls One Cup".

I simply want the damn game to work 100% out of the box when I put it in the console. That's not too much to ask. I feel for the people who have freezing problems. At least that one isn't Sony or MS's fault.

Look, I understand, and I'm grateful, that Sony's offering free online play. I get what a big deal this is. It just seems like they're not taking it seriously enough to have online play ready for high profile games, and I think it's going to reflect badly on them in the future.

I *want* the PS3 to do well, I don't want to see major cluster fucks like this.

Honestly, I'm happier with reports that there's less pop-in in the PS3 version. The graphics side by side look pretty much the same.[/QUOTE]

This. All day.

And twice on Sunday.

Gamespy's fault, eh? And just who was it who decided not to host servers?

havent experienced any issues *knock on wood* with the game except that I can't connect online for co-op. Unfortunately for my friend his GTA wont even boot pass the introduction. I like the game it's cool but i wish we could configure the controls. I prefer the old GTA walk/run style where you would run by just using the left analog stick instead of having to hold down on X (he walks really slow too).

sorry to ask has there been an official way to find out if your ps3 will freeze when playing this? I just picked up my copy at blockbuster and I have a 60Gig later version. oh well let me cross my fingers as I am about to start it up.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']sorry to ask has there been an official way to find out if your ps3 will freeze when playing this? I just picked up my copy at blockbuster and I have a 60Gig later version. oh well let me cross my fingers as I am about to start it up.[/quote]

The official way seems to be putting the disc in, doing the install, and playing the game until it freezes.

Having a 60GB PS3 appears to increase the likelihood of this happening to you.

Before you freak out, you should delete your install data and re-install it. Then play it again and see if it freezes.

I just got the PS3 version a few hours ago. Whoever said the PS3 has more jaggies or its the same as the 360 NEEDS TO GET THEIR EYES CHECKED. The jaggies in the 360 really stands out and there's not much on the PS3 version. The PS3 version does seem a bit more blurry. I guess this depends on what people want, less jaggies but more blur or sharper images with more jaggies.

The other thing I noticed about the 360 is, the character's face look plastic(fake), like they're wearing those masks people use to rob banks. I guess this is what they meant about the PS3 colors being warmer. Here's a good example of what I mean. http://i27.tinypic.com/14kfwch.jpg

I have the 60gb and no freeze so far, bought it at circuit city. Multiplayer isn't work for me atm.

A poster on Kotaku said his friend tried 20/60/120GB hard drives, and only the 60 failed. So looks like it could be HD related. Though the 40's and 80's also have the problems, but usually not until later into the game.

Rockstar also wants us to delete/reinstall the game so perhaps that is another sign that it is HDD related.

A friend of mine owns a Launch 60g and a post-launch 20g. He has upgraded the HD in the 20g to 120g, and saved the 20g drive for emergencies.
His CE version of GTA4 has this game breaking bug on the launch 60g PS3. It plays just fine on his 120g one (former 20g).
He is now in the process of putting his 20g drive into his 60g unit, and going to test it that way. If it works, we'll have at least a handle on what may be going on.
This is very important to me, as I too have a 60g PS3, and will have my GTA4 CE copy tomorrow via Amazon/UPS. If a different HD actually enables the thing to work, I'm not going to complain about having a reason to upgrade my PS3 HD, as I can use the space for "stuff".
I'll do this like live-blogging....
*UPDATE* - HD Swap is completed, firmware upgrade going on as I type this.
*UPDATE* - Installing game now.
*UPDATE* - He's playing through now, results momentarily...
*UPDATE* - I said momentarily, but he's obviously doing /something/ in game, as he's not chatting about it at the moment.....
*UPDATE* - Success! Well, this was loaded from the save-game of his working 20g (120g) PS3. So, he's nuked it, reinstalling from scratch, and going to play though the beginning with a "new fresh" game, and see if that is it.
*UPDATE* - Total Success. With clean install, clean fresh new game. Past the game bug. This is HD related for the PS3. The launch model of the 60g PS3 hard-drive is the issue.
My friend tells me he may try to put the 60g drive into his working 20g (now 120g unit) reformat and try again. But, that isn't going to be tonight.
So, original launch 60g PS3 hard drive is a 5400rpm Seagate and fails. This isn't related to the PS3 /hardware/ and is hard-drive related.
Good information for all, spread it around.
If anyone needs more information, let me know and I'll try and get it and update all.
Mok

Just got my first freeze tonight. Fortunately it happened right after I completed a mission, so I had an auto-save shortly before. Nothing was lost

[quote name='tenaciousjack']Uhhh, iHack, sounds like DarNessBear pulled a switcheroo and bought a DS3, opened it, and replaced it with the SixAxis when he returned it back to the store he bought it from....[/quote]

Pffff... "Poor sony!" They should of put it in the box.

Yea, the DS3 rumble leaves something to be desired. Xbox is much better in the rumble department, but hey I'd rather have it run faster.

[quote name='DefinedByClass13']So if it's not a launch 60gb, we should be fine? I just bought mine in Feb. new and it's definitely not a launch unit.[/quote]

I would say no because it isn't effecting all launch 60GB's and I saw someone who said they "bought a 40GB last week" which is messing up on them too. No way to tell why or who will be effected yet.

>>>This seems like a pretty good review of what is known so far:

There are three topics already covering this issue, but spanning so many pages it makes no sense going through all that.

Most users are having problems with their copies of GTA IV. Some Facts are listed below :

1) Seems to affect all systems so far. That is the 20gb, 40 gb, 60gb and 80gb.
2) However the problem is quite more dominant on the 20gb and 60 gb versions of the Ps3.
3) Rockstar's advice : Delete game data and re install.
4) Our advice : Freezes once? DO NOT switch console of by use of the switch at the back of it (power). Instead, hold down the 'open tray' button until the ps3, reboots or the game tray opens

5) There is NO fix availble that actually works.
6) Problem does not affect Ps3's alone, but Xbox's are facing the exact problem.
7) Since both consoles are facing the same problem it probably is a software defect with the game.
8) Do NOT play the game or attempt to play if it freezes after install, doing so will BRICK your PS3.
9) Some users have reported that switching off certain options or disbaling them on their Ps3 allows the game to work. This may work for a select Ps3's and is worth a chance.

10) Some users say disabling their wired/ wireless interent connection works for them.
11) The game may work for 8-11 hours perfectly then FREEZE.
12) Rockstar has confirmed they are working on a 'fix' not necesarrily a 'patch'.

UPDATE: 13) Another temporary 'fix', is if you are using a DS3 controller, try using your six-axis controller.

Conclusion :
No official fix. Rockstar did not screw us over, they never encountered the problem :S.

BTW: Online is confirmed not ot be operational by many users. PSN says they are not at fault for this, speculation says that R* has downed the servers reportedly to put a fix.........

I've had the game freeze on me a couple of times now, but it seems to have been when I've left the game for a few minutes just sitting there while I've gone to do something. No issues if I'm playing the game.

bread's done
Back