Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='darkcecil32']Ugh...I just got the game a couple days ago but I won't be able to play til Saturday Night...it's finals week =/...

Oh well, I can keep checking places like this thread for impressions in the meantime to satiate my curiosity![/quote]

That's why I'm not getting it yet... I didn't come this far to not graduate by playing GTA IV

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']No, you won't miss any main missions needed to complete the game.[/QUOTE]

Are there any side missions I can miss? Basically I just want to get the 100% achievement. How in the hell did you beat this game twice, that's crazy and I bow to your gaming skills.

[quote name='FrankySox']Are there any side missions I can miss? Basically I just want to get the 100% achievement.[/quote]I don't know if he is absolutely necessary to the 100% achievement, but
I wouldn't kill Dwayne
. Other than that, I don't think you will miss/skip over anything just by going through the story and doing the side stuff afterwards. Don't hold me to that, though, as I don't have the achievement myself.
[quote name='FrankySox']How in the hell did you beat this game twice, that's crazy and I bow to your gaming skills.[/quote]Due to certain circumstances, I have a lot of time on my hands. I beat the game doing the side mission stuff in ~40 hours and the 2nd playthrough just over 14 hours.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']what spot?!?[/quote]

For the One Man Army achievement, I did this:

I realized I needed to get onto the train tracks, so I drove underneath the overhead train tracks until I found a spot where I could ram the fence down with my car and drive with the car on the train tracks. Then I just drove on the train tracks until I was on the next island and got my 6 stars. Next, I kept driving until I was in an underground subway area, and waited the 5 minutes out. No police came in.

Anybody had a friend/date act "weird" when they dropped them home?

One time I dropped Roman off in a car, with his usual "Thanks cousin! We should do this again sometime." stuff, then he punches me in the head, shoves me out of the vehicle and steals it. He didn't move after that, but I couldn't open the doors either.

I got to admit, that was an awesome bug.

Having to socialize with your contacts is hella annoying. Do you actually have to play the game (bowling, pool) or can you just start it then exit without it having a negative effect?

[quote name='DT778']Having to socialize with your contacts is hella annoying. Do you actually have to play the game (bowling, pool) or can you just start it then exit without it having a negative effect?[/QUOTE]

If they call you up you can accept there invitation to do something. Then call them back and cancel. It will not have a negative effect. Therefore you can bypass doing stuff with them without having a negative effect on there liking or respect for you.

[quote name='mrelusive']Anybody had a friend/date act "weird" when they dropped them home?

One time I dropped Roman off in a car, with his usual "Thanks cousin! We should do this again sometime." stuff, then he punches me in the head, shoves me out of the vehicle and steals it. He didn't move after that, but I couldn't open the doors either.

I got to admit, that was an awesome bug.[/quote]

I had something very similar happen to me during the first Little Jacob mission
It was when Jacob and Niko went to a spot and I had to take out three dealers. This netted me a cop star so I hopped in my car and drove out of the circle, but it followed me, so I went back to get Jacob with the star. Instead of hopping in my car, he did exactly what Roman did to you. He punched me, pulled me out of the car and tried to steal it. Very strange.

[quote name='evanft']Got the One Man Army and Gobble Gobble achievements. The latter was harder.[/QUOTE]Agreed. I got the One Man Army achievement fairly easily, on my second try. I haven't even been able to roll two strikes in a row yet, though, so I think it might be a while before I get that one.

[quote name='mrelusive']Anybody had a friend/date act "weird" when they dropped them home?

I got to admit, that was an awesome bug.[/quote]
I lol'd. Actually.

[quote name='Danimal']I haven't even been able to roll two strikes in a row yet, though, so I think it might be a while before I get that one.[/quote]
This is from the starmen.net forums and worked perfectly for me on my first try:

I got a turkey on my second try on the First Date mission. I found this sure fire way of getting strikes easily. Here is how:

-Play in the first lane on the left near the wall.
-When setting up, take 2 full steps to the left.
-After you are all set, pull the right-stick back, count to 1 (or sometimes 2 depending on how fast you count) then push the right-stick forward.

With this strategy I was able to get 3 strikes in a row very quickly. Almost got 4 but I was robbed. I ended up getting 100-something in a five frame game.
Just make sure you legitimately only count to one. You're only waiting a second so you don't click the stick immediately, just to slow it down a tiny bit.

Anyway, that worked really well for me, so good luck.

I got to admit, that was an awesome bug.[/quote]Roman did the same to me, but it was because when I parked the car he couldn't get out from his side (too close to another car) so I assumed it was the AI trying to get out the driver side.

I didn't even realize I completed the One Man Army achievement. I was just messing around waiting for a friend to get to my place so I decided to steal a boat. I raced around the left-most island trying to find a helicopter pad by the coast. Where do I get one anyway?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I didn't even realize I completed the One Man Army achievement. I was just messing around waiting for a friend to get to my place so I decided to steal a boat. I raced around the left-most island trying to find a helicopter pad by the coast. Where do I get one anyway?[/QUOTE]

The Heli Tours place is on the SE corner of the middle island.

[quote name='kromekoran']I was getting pissed off trying to get the Chain Reaction cheesemint. every time I got to like 6 cars stolen and parked next to eachother a cop would magically appear out of nowhere as I stole the next one.

so I just stole a bus and barricaded the middle of a bridge, waited for the cars to pile up, then hit 'em with the RPG. it was glorious.[/quote]

I blocked off the road in Time Square and there was a HUGE traffic jam. Then I just shot a bunch of rockets. :D

I got a question about 100%

It says to get 100%, part of it is completing all missions. Also part of it is...
Get all special abilities from your friends (doesn't include Dwayne or Roman and do the associated activities - 10%
But there is a part of the story where you have a choice to kill one of two people. The next spoiler will talk about that...
So i decided to kill Playboy X. But when i did i think i had 66% done with his missions, so when i killed him it went to 100%. But i also am wondering if he was a person with a special ability.
Can anyone answer if i will have trouble getting 100% because of this decision?

[quote name='DomLando']If they call you up you can accept there invitation to do something. Then call them back and cancel. It will not have a negative effect. Therefore you can bypass doing stuff with them without having a negative effect on there liking or respect for you.[/QUOTE]

When I've canceled, it has had a negative effect on their liking me-- Had to cancel on Ramon just today because I had to
help the reformed crackhead make amends with his dealers
. I got it back up right afterwards, but still.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Bit of a dilemma here,
I don't know if I should kill Playboy X or Dwayne. Which would benefit me more?
[/QUOTE]
Kill Playboy X. I liked him better so I killed Dwayne and afterwards Playboy X was so upset that he never spoke to me again in the game. Plus you can get Dwayne as a friend, if you spare him you can't friend Playboy X.

[quote name='Mojimbo']
Kill Playboy X. I liked him better so I killed Dwayne and afterwards Playboy X was so upset that he never spoke to me again in the game. Plus you can get Dwayne as a friend, if you spare him you can't friend Playboy X.
[/quote]

You also get Playboy X crib as a safehouse....so far its the best safehouse in the game. I havent unlocked any on the 3rd island yet though. Also i read you get a "claude speed" outfit at the playboy x safehouse.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Bit of a dilemma here,
I don't know if I should kill Playboy X or Dwayne. Which would benefit me more?
[/quote]

I havent got to this point but new all along i would have to kill one. OLD SCHOOL is so bitter but he is a real dude. The other fellla is fake but he represents the new wave, FUTURE OR PAST, your decision.

[quote name='The 7th Number']
You also get Playboy X crib as a safehouse....
[/quote]

This was my only push before making the post.
I'll definitely be killing Playboy X then. Dwayne seems like he'd be a more useful friend anyway.

(I also really just want a Claude Speed outfit).

So I take Michelle out to the nice fancy star restaurant on the main island as it just opened up for me and I'm driving her back home. I'm on a bike and driving through the main bridge and all of a sudden a car changes lanes and slams on the brakes. I slap on my brakes but go sliding into the car and Michelle goes over my head and lands on the road. Then a cut scene occurs and she's back on the bike and then gets off calling me a freak since I scared her while driving. WTF

[quote name='CocheseUGA']The Heli Tours place is on the SE corner of the middle island.[/quote]Thanks. I knew it was near the Staten Island Ferry and south of the Brooklyn Bridge. It's totally awesome how they made the locations depict actual Manhattan.

Another questions =] How do you do that option when you get arrested by the cops you do an option to get free or something like that?

I am in absolute awe of Three Leaf Clover. Such a well-designed, epic mission. I'm so glad I kept an extra save right before doing it so I can replay it whenever I want. :D

[quote name='Spybreak8']So I take Michelle out to the nice fancy star restaurant on the main island as it just opened up for me and I'm driving her back home. I'm on a bike and driving through the main bridge and all of a sudden a car changes lanes and slams on the brakes. I slap on my brakes but go sliding into the car and Michelle goes over my head and lands on the road. Then a cut scene occurs and she's back on the bike and then gets off calling me a freak since I scared her while driving. WTF[/quote]

GTA is so realistic! :lol:

[quote name='Dro']Another questions =] How do you do that option when you get arrested by the cops you do an option to get free or something like that?[/QUOTE]

Press A after Niko raises his hands like he's going to give up.

[quote name='Danil ACE']I'm about 39.5% done and have 18 hours of playtime. Think it's possible for me to get the 30 hours achievement?[/QUOTE]

How many missions have you done?

[quote name='joe2187']I'm about 68 missions and 22 hours playtime....Will I be able to get the Liberty City Achievement?[/QUOTE]
If you hurry, you should be able to come in just under the wire.

Yeah, you should be able to as well.

The last 18 or so missions are a lot longer (and more opportunities to mess up).

Just keep that in mind, in regards to the time.

[quote name='Spybreak8']So I take Michelle out to the nice fancy star restaurant on the main island as it just opened up for me and I'm driving her back home. I'm on a bike and driving through the main bridge and all of a sudden a car changes lanes and slams on the brakes. I slap on my brakes but go sliding into the car and Michelle goes over my head and lands on the road. Then a cut scene occurs and she's back on the bike and then gets off calling me a freak since I scared her while driving. WTF[/quote]

HAHA, I think I'm going to try to do that:lol:

Just played my first hour of multiplayer. GTA Race is amazing. I was really far behind halfway through the race, so I stopped and filled the street in the middle of the race with empty cars. I sat there and waited for the other cars to come around; the first three were in cars, and they all smacked into them and caused a huge pile-up. Then the last place guy came through on a motorcycle, smashed into the pile-up head-on and flew into the air, soaring over the hole thing and ending in first place, with me in second, by the time everyone else had sorted themselves out of the wreck.

Awesome.

Also, I was dropping Michelle off after a date earlier, and during the in-game cutscene where she got out of the car, some pedestrian suddenly screamed, "Mr. Car! What have you done!" and I laughed.

Sorry if this has been asked, but I didn't want to search and hit spoilers, so:

If you loose friendship with someone you have an ability from when you call them, do you lose that ability too until you bring it up, or can you just be friends enough to get the perk and blow em off after that?

My rough calculations give me that I need about 12 more hours to finish the storyline. Considering that I'm at 18 hours and 20 minutes, I need to haul ass. I guess it's only taxis for me from now on and no hookers.

I barely got that Liberty City Minute achievement. I beat the game at 29 hours 43 minutes.

That was after I got fucked over on the achievement before. I beat the game and thought that watching the credits wasn't going to count towards my game time. Once the credits are over it says I have 30 hours and 2 seconds.

I was mad.

I had to reload a save that was from an hour earlier, but after I beat a Dish Served Cold again the story wouldn't progress, so I reloaded that save and beat a Dish Served Cold once again.The story wasn't progressing at the same speed as before so I had to save the game like five times before I would get the phone call to do the last mission.

Oh some of the missions in this game lose their coolness factor when the game fucks up and you have to do the mission two more times before you pass the damn thing.

Doesn't help I formed some OCD thing about not saving if I died or got arrested.

Yeah, I'm trying for the under 30 hours achievement and so far have done 53 missions and sitting at 40.30% complete with 18 hours and 55 minutes. If I recall correctly, the main story is 60% of the game while the side missions and stuff is the other 40%. I guess I should start completing the game rather than going for the achievements.

bread's done
Back