Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

Man the online is just so broken. The last few days have been okay if I felt like just jumping into an online game, but tonight has just ben ridiculous. About 15 minutes of trying, its either I get disconnected, or someone in the room disconnects. It would be okay if they made the online separate from the single player, like an entirely separate screen. Going back to the single player everytime is getting old.

[quote name='AshesofWake']am i the only one not having any problems online!? *confused*[/QUOTE]

idk, all I know is that the online problems for me have fluctuated. one day its okay, not too many problems. But some days, today, I cant even get into a game that starts... The thing is, I played cod4 right after all the gta troubles and it was fine, so they gotta fix it. Patch it or whatever you have to do.

Whats up with the drivers on the bridges? Its seems like they all want to switch lanes, even if a car is next to them. Then they all decide to switch lanes at the same time.

I have random online hassles as well, lots of disconnections and alot of times when I try to join games with friends it'll tell me the game doesn't exist.

Then sometimes everything goes fine I don't know if it's my connection or GTA's problem.

I figured out what happened.. luckily I had an older save.. but I loaded it up and got to the point where I was, and a Elizabeta mission popped up. That never popped up before.. so I'm guessing something happened in my game to glitch the cell phone call from Elizabeta..

[quote name='Francis']I have random online hassles as well, lots of disconnections and alot of times when I try to join games with friends it'll tell me the game doesn't exist.

Then sometimes everything goes fine I don't know if it's my connection or GTA's problem.[/QUOTE]

this is happening to too many people. it's so random. random as in I can play player matches of deathmatch fine like nothing, but ranked deathmatch has never worked for me.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Whats up with the drivers on the bridges? Its seems like they all want to switch lanes, even if a car is next to them. Then they all decide to switch lanes at the same time.[/quote]

I don't know what the hell their problem is but they do that all the time. It is especially annoying when I am going 100 mph on the broker bridge on a motorcycle.

So how is this contest going to work when the Social Club website is so far behind? I'm over 80% complete and the site says 43%... it finally added 2 ZiT (out of 5 or so I attempted) over a week after I called them in.

Don't really want to waste my time with pigeons and stunt ramps if I'm not even going to be eligible because of this.

[quote name='Bretters']So how is this contest going to work when the Social Club website is so far behind? I'm over 80% complete and the site says 43%... it finally added 2 ZiT (out of 5 or so I attempted) over a week after I called them in.

Don't really want to waste my time with pigeons and stunt ramps if I'm not even going to be eligible because of this.[/quote]

do you have to register for the social club before you start playing or will it count even after you started playing?

[quote name='swetooth9']do you have to register for the social club before you start playing or will it count even after you started playing?[/quote]
I would guess you can sign up after you've already started playing... should just update your stats like when you play offline games then connect to live. I signed up before the game launched, so not 100% sure how their buggy site works.

Well now that I’ve put a good 10-15 hours into GTAIV I think I can better make a judgment about whether I like it.

Since the closest thing I had played to a Grand Theft Auto game was Spiderman 2 the experience was somewhat new to me. Intentionally or not, I found myself comparing GTAIV to Oblivion and Mass Effect. Oblivion is a grand open-world game where you can do just about anything, and Mass Effect is a cinematic game with third-person shooting. You can see why I made such comparisons.

I was off-put by how linear the storyline was. Conversations take place almost entirely within cinematics where not even so much as the camera angle is player-controlled. After Mass Effect’s conversation system this felt old fashioned and I thought it severely limited control I had to act the way I wanted to act. That brings me to the lack of choices in the story line. While some people may be getting tired of morality choices in games, I’m not. Choosing to let a person go after going through all the hassle to chase them down or picking which of two people you want to kill don’t change the way the story shapes. Maybe a grand crime story isn’t the place to play a boy scout but I expected a more open storyline.

When comparing the open-world to that of Oblivion I was also disappointed. In Oblivion every house can be entered, every item picked up, taken or sold, and every character can be talked to. I didn’t expect every single building to be open, or every bum on the street to have complex dialog tree, but I did expect something more like that. I would have gladly sacrificed the size of the city for this.

There were some other things I was disappointed about as well. The graphics are quite poor in many ways. Without the filters and other post-processing effects the game would look horrible. Of course I have yet to be impressed with the graphics on any 360 game, so there’s not much you can do there.

The loading system is frustrating. On more than one occasion the game has auto-saved, I turned my 360 off, and when I turned it back on it would load an older save. Then when loading manually, restarting from a same safe house without anything in the “Brief” saved to clue me in on where the save is, it’s disorientating.

The combat system is passable. When holding in the left-trigger movement and aiming is much like an FPS, but slow. I hate the cover system though. I find it easier to maneuver myself, while in said FPS style control, behind cover than to get stuck on the wall.

After all of this I was almost ready to give up on the game. That is until I just got in a car and started driving around, jumping things, and such. That’s when I realized that GTAIV isn’t some open-world/RPG/cinematic game; it’s a driving game designer’s wet dream. At most all it can be faulted for is having Rogue Squadron: Rebel Strike syndrome. Most of the missions are dull uninteresting, but driving around the city, jumping things and messing with traffic are fun activities. When I saw the game for a Crazy Taxi style driving game with passable on-foot combat and a decent storyline I started enjoying the game a lot more.

I still do the missions, and probably will still finish the game, just because I’m a completionist and feel the need to do them. However, it’s everything between the missions that’s fun, and I’m guessing I’m not close to being the first person to realize that.

I think that you would appreciate the game more if you had played GTA3 when it came out and saw how GTA pioneered the genre for open world/sandbox games.

Then again, most of the things you saw as negatives I saw as positives, so who knows? Btw, the save is named based on the last mission that you did and is also timestamped, so it does tell you if it's most recent and what the last mission you did was. What more do you need from a save really?

edit: Also graphics have never been a strong part of the GTA series (look at the older games).

[quote name='Bretters']So how is this contest going to work when the Social Club website is so far behind? I'm over 80% complete and the site says 43%... it finally added 2 ZiT (out of 5 or so I attempted) over a week after I called them in.

Don't really want to waste my time with pigeons and stunt ramps if I'm not even going to be eligible because of this.[/quote]

Where do you go to see your completion % on the social site? Im at 79.50% in game.

RE: GTA IV, open world enough or not...

I have to say that I have not been as immersed in a game like GTA IV since GTA III came out. Back then that was a very pioneering game, really pushed the envelope and came as close to creating a living world inside which you play various games, go on missions, etc. The total experience combined is what the GTA series has been about since then, but I felt that VC and SA (and of course the two PSP games) were just follow ons in the series, not really pushing the envelope too much.

GTA IV, to me, is just as groundbreaking as GTA III was. Rockstar went back to their roots, pulled the scope back in, and created a story as vividly real as any Hollywood gangster movie. They refined the engine to such a degree (full day night cycles, tons and tons of different pedestrians, different types of drivers, tons of different cars, many ways to explore and get around), that I really feel like I'm in another world when playing this game. It also helps that the game looks gorgeous on a 46" HDTV with 5.1 surround, and honestly I think the graphical touches they did (shallow depth of field, dynamic lighting, color casts) help create a very unique mood within the game... it gets cloudy before it rains, it gets foggy sometimes at night... it really feels like a real world environment, done in a cinematic style.

There's not one specific thing that I can point to and tell someone "this is what GTA is about" - it's the sum of all those parts that sets this game completely apart from any other game ever created. Game is too shallow a word - virtual world would be more apropos.

I've never seen an open world environment game like GTA IV where when it starts raining random people take cover. That is pretty cool.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Ok. Here is one thing I am really hating about the game.

Whenever you do a chase mission. Kill this guy in a car, kill these guys on bikes, etc etc.

It seems like there are certain people you can not kill until you reach a certain part of the chase. There has been many a time where I have wasted 4 or 5 clips of ammo into a car or bike trying to kill a guy and it seem to not even phase them.

Then I notice that I am following him through some really cool ass shit through the city. I can only assume that they want you to see the cool stuff so they wont allow you to kill the person.

This get really annoying though. I wish it would just tell me I cant kill them until a certain point so I wont waste so much ammo.[/quote]

Agreed. I wasted hundreds of bullets during a few missions in GTA:SA and GTAIV doing the same thing. I learned my lesson and will only chase a car for the first few miles if it looks like it is a predetermined route instead of trying to shoot out the tires or driver.

[quote name='Filbert']I have yet to be impressed with the graphics on any 360 game, so there’s not much you can do there.[/quote]

Seriously? Have you played Gears of War? Bioshock? If so you have impossibly high standards. These are some of the best looking games I've ever played on any system.

[quote name='Danil ACE']The only framerate issues I've run into was when I was going for the blow up 10 cars in 10 seconds achievement. Definitely some issues there....[/QUOTE]

It took me many, many tries to get this. Blocking off a gas station with cars, trapping the pedestrian cars that pull in and parking a few extras, and tossing a grenade or two in the middle did the trick for me. Though I've learned you can only steal about 5 cars in a small area before the cops come after you.

And the resulting explosion killed Niko, sent him flying toward the bridge, and his crotch hit the guard rail. :rofl:

[quote name='javeryh']Seriously? Have you played Gears of War? Bioshock? If so you have impossibly high standards. These are some of the best looking games I've ever played on any system.[/quote]

Well I upgraded my PC's video card so I could play Bioshock and Crysis on there before I bought my 360. On top of that, I play my 360 on the same monitor my computer uses so it's painfully apparent when comparing PC to 360 games. Especially the resolution.

Of course that doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed the 360 games. They just don't look very good.

[quote name='joe2187']Whats your point?[/quote]

Well if you enjoy the music in the game then you should purchase the music from Amazon.

[quote name='Filbert']Well I upgraded my PC's video card so I could play Bioshock and Crysis on there before I bought my 360. On top of that, I play my 360 on the same monitor my computer uses so it's painfully apparent when comparing PC to 360 games. Especially the resolution.

Of course that doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed the 360 games. They just don't look very good.[/quote]

It is because of your monitor. Unless you have a 16:9 monitor (which is rare), the 360 image is being stretched to fit the screen. Computer games obviously run at what ever resolution you set it, but they will still look bad if you don't run it at the native resolution (if your monitor is LCD).

[quote name='Razzuel']Well if you enjoy the music in the game then you should purchase the music from Amazon.[/quote]

I've bought 18 songs from the GTA radio stations track list on Amazon.com ...using my shitload of Free Pepsi points :D

Illegal, legal....its all semantics. Do whatcha want. Its all in the spirit of GTA.

[quote name='Razzuel']Well if you enjoy the music in the game then you should purchase the music from Amazon.[/quote]

I'm also fairly certain we're not allowed to discuss piracy/illegal downloading in the CAG forums, either.

[quote name='bmachine']I'm also fairly certain we're not allowed to discuss piracy/illegal downloading in the CAG forums, either.[/quote]We're not.

Just got on for an hour or two after 5 days of not playing it, did 20 vigilante missions for the "Cleaned the Mean Streets" achievement and the Most Wanted list on the first island, only 10 more go to on the third island before another achievement.

I'm at about 70% so far.

Anyone have any tips for
Pegorino's Pride? I've tried twice and both have failed because Pegorino bleeds to death before I reach the spot. Do I need to eliminate all the guys before reaching him? Seems like I'm taking too long with my carbine to get to him on time.

[quote name='menikmati']
Pegorino's Pride? I've tried twice and both have failed because Pegorino bleeds to death before I reach the spot. Do I need to eliminate all the guys before reaching him? Seems like I'm taking too long with my carbine to get to him on time.
[/quote]

First off, you'll need an AK-47 with ~300 bullets and body armor. Make sure you snipe the guys as soon as you can. Try to do it quickly. Afterwards, turn around and jump right down the rail. You should hit a wall and then jump all the way to the bottom floor. There should be an AK on the ground up against the staircase, but if you don't want to waste time don't grab it.

Quickly run outside and start shooting at people that you see. Don't take cover. Just keep shooting. I would usually shoot a guy and then immediately switch to the next guy in line. Not killing them, but wounding them enough so they kind of put their weapon down for 2-3 seconds. That stops pretty much everyone from shooting at you.

After that, it's all about how fast you can go through the corridors. Using this method I ended up getting to Pegorino before the game gave me that "Get to pegorino before he dies" objective.

This is the next part of the mission. Just telling you what to do to make it easy.
You're going to have a car chase as the next part of the mission. Just focus on staying on their tales. Don't shoot at the car. The AI crashes the car 2 minutes into the chase.

I swear to god, this game has the longest credits ever made. My controller shut off a while ago so it's well over 15 minutes so far.

[quote name='menikmati']Just got on for an hour or two after 5 days of not playing it, did 20 vigilante missions for the "Cleaned the Mean Streets" achievement and the Most Wanted list on the first island, only 10 more go to on the third island before another achievement.

I'm at about 70% so far.

Anyone have any tips for
[/quote]

Personally....
After you snipe, and run down, there are 2 or so people by the stairs you need to go up. Then i just run straight down...dont go into the area with the car. Just run down the outside of the building, shoot one guy that stands in your way, turn the corner and run to him. Easy.

PS...anyone else feel none of the new themes you can download for your phone are usable? The only one that looks good is the one thats already on the phone.

[quote name='Bretts31344']It is because of your monitor. Unless you have a 16:9 monitor (which is rare), the 360 image is being stretched to fit the screen. Computer games obviously run at what ever resolution you set it, but they will still look bad if you don't run it at the native resolution (if your monitor is LCD).[/quote]

I know this already. But unless the games are running at 1080p they would be stretched if my monitor was 16:9 anyway. (My monitor is 16:10 with a native resolution of 1920x1200.)

Yes, I do wish my monitor had the option to scale with fixed aspect ratio, or just not scale at all, but I doubt it makes that much of a difference.

[quote name='The 7th Number']PS...anyone else feel none of the new themes you can download for your phone are usable? The only one that looks good is the one thats already on the phone.[/quote]

I agree, the default theme is the best theme.

Alright I have a question about the GTA IV music on Amazon. Anyone know why you can not buy all the music for a radio station as an album. The only radio station that even hints that you can buy it as an album is Vladivostok FM.

If you search "vladivostok" in Amazon then one of the results it returns is the whole album for $8.99, but it won't let you purchase it as an album.

However by comparing the links for the GTA IV soundtrack full album download link to a single mp3 from the GTA IV soundtrack and then comparing both of those to a single download from Vladivostok FM, I was able to "create" a link for the full album of Vladiovostok FM. I am wary to purchase it this way though because then why wouldn't they have a link for the full album on the product page if there is a link somewhere in their website.

[quote name='The 7th Number']
PS...anyone else feel none of the new themes you can download for your phone are usable? The only one that looks good is the one thats already on the phone.[/quote]

I tried the Whiz one, and the Sprunk one. The Whiz is easier to see, but the Sprunk is cooler. You get used to seeing the Sprunk one after a while and can read it.

I tried to buy it and it said "Order Failed".

I did get a response back from Amazon and they said that there isn't an option to buy the whole album right now and that I would have to buy each track individually. Amazon said that their ability to offer music in MP3 format is limited by the rights granted to them by the record companies. They also stated that they are always looking to improve their selection and that they offer whole albums or individual songs whenever possible.

So who knows why I can't buy it as an album. Looks like I am gonna have to buy songs individually.

What the hell?! I am looking at the GTA IV manual and Amazon has some tracks listed under Vladivostok FM that aren't in the game and there are some songs in the game that aren't on Amazon. Dammit.

[quote name='Littlefields']After the first couple of Manny missions, the story picks up way too fast.
Btw, is there another apartment you move into after the second one?
[/QUOTE]

Two more, plus another extra one you can get depending on whether you favor Playboy X or Dwayne.

[quote name='Callandor']
Two more, plus another extra one you can get depending on whether you favor Playboy X or Dwayne.
[/quote]

If you save Dwayne, do you get it???

[quote name='yukafls']I know that, but what about if you save the other.[/quote]
If you kill one of them, then the other obviously isn't dead ;)

[quote name='yukafls']
If you save Dwayne, do you get it???
[/QUOTE]

Yes, save Dwayne and kill Playboy X. That will get you his penthouse as another savehouse.

On a more humorous note, after 4-5 hours of GTAIV on Friday and right as I was
landing the stolen helicopter for a U.L. Paper mission,
my 360 suddenly cut off the video/audio signals and brought up the RROD. Turned it back on 5 minutes later, worked fine, and got over 15 hours of uninterrupted playtime over the weekend.

I have no idea why the RROD popped up, if a larger problem is going to manifest soon or if it was just some random fluke or whatever...

I was just doing the mission where
You had to kill either Francis or Derrick. I didn't think about it earlier before it was too late, but I'm starting to wonder what would happen if you just took out an RPG and killed them both and whether or not the story would still continue.

Either way my most hilarious moment so was when I was on a bike with Jacob and accidentally got a 1 star. I went too fast, and was driving around a park. The cop car hit my rear wheel, I swerved and spun out and hit a tree. Jacob flew off before I did and his body hit a tree full impact. Then the same cop car ran into that tree with Jacob's body under.

[quote name='Wolve11']Those of you who bought the SE: Was it worth it? I'm thinking of picking it up, but are the extra things worth the money?[/quote]
Wondering the same thing. I always end up regretting not buying the SE later on. :cry:

Multiplayer free roam is pretty awesome once you have people who don't just drive around trying to kill you. I just spent like an hour with some random people having epic police chase/shootouts around the city. I couldn't get into any of the other modes though, it kept kicking me out.

bread's done
Back