Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

Damn, I wonder when the "death penalty" steps up? Anybody know? I'd guess it might be after you unlock the third island (after Three leaf Clover). I'd love to find out for sure.

Regardless, I havent found anything super expensive to spend money on in this game anyway, have any of you? I'm not lookin for spoilers but am just wondering generally. I did three leaf clover and that paid quite a bit.

Either way, it doesnt ever seem worth re-loading to avoid the death penalty.

Sort of a silly thought but how cool would it be if you could buy health insurance to take a one time (or once every so often) hit and not have to worry about hospital bills?

Does getting arrested cost you any money? 10,k buys a LOT of ammo.

a couple of questions about the three leaf clover mission.
i have been having a hard time evading the coppers once I get into the car...I have a date set up with the law chick a couple days later, and I noticed she can get rid of 3 star rating...would it be easier if i just go and do some car races police missions/italien mob missions untill i date the law chick and get the ability to remove 3 star ratings...considering when you come up from the subway your rating drops to 3 star, I would think it would be really easy?

[quote name='ryanbph']a couple of questions about the three leaf clover mission.
i have been having a hard time evading the coppers once I get into the car...I have a date set up with the law chick a couple days later, and I noticed she can get rid of 3 star rating...would it be easier if i just go and do some car races police missions/italien mob missions untill i date the law chick and get the ability to remove 3 star ratings...considering when you come up from the subway your rating drops to 3 star, I would think it would be really easy?
[/quote]

I don't think you can use Kiki ability, to get rid of stars on a mission. Ive never tried though, so don't take my word for it. Does anyone else know, I'm interested in knowing if it will work or not.

[quote name='ryanbph']a couple of questions about the three leaf clover mission.
[/quote]

Lawgirl's special ability does not work during missions, and sometimes just plain dosent work.

[/quote]

Try xcoax's way of passing the mission. It makes it ridiculously easy hehe.
[quote name='xcoax']Easy way I did it.
Once you make it through the subway to where you're told to go up the access door to street level all I did was instead of going up to street level, I ran down the tracks until I was out of the search area. You lose your wanted level take off yours masks and can just stroll back to Packie's house at a leisurely pace.
[/quote]

[quote name='MinDistortionz']I don't think you can use Kiki ability, to get rid of stars on a mission. Ive never tried though, so don't take my word for it. Does anyone else know, I'm interested in knowing if it will work or not.[/quote]

I haven't tried Kiki's ability in a mission, but I'll be damned if I can even get her to do it when I am just tooling around town. She has always told me that she can't do it when I call her. I have her at 100% as well so I'm not sure what the deal is.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']I haven't tried Kiki's ability in a mission, but I'll be damned if I can even get her to do it when I am just tooling around town. She has always told me that she can't do it when I call her. I have her at 100% as well so I'm not sure what the deal is.[/quote]

I have the very same problem with Carmen. I would call her up. while being chased by the police, or even if I was just low on health while strolling around the city. She would never heal me.. even though she had the conversation with me on the phone to put pressure on the wound. Kinda weird because I take her out a lot and go out of my way to make sure she likes me. Its way past due for her to give me some "Healing":D

Yeah I just shanked that dude and walked out and calm like, the fools had no idea what I had just done. :lol:

Also, in later missions that require chasing someone, Packie's special ability proves to be very useful. You would know what vehicle they are going to use if you already attempted it and failed. You get the idea.

ive tried kikis ability in a mission and it didnt work. Plus it wont work half the time that you arent in a mission. I dont know if it depends on why you have the stars, or maybe time between you calling her. I think accidentally driving into a cop car will go away, but not like jacking someones car.

I've had Kiki's ability work during a mission.

As far as I know, it works like this: After you've taken her on a date, you can call her to remove your wanted level. After that, you need to take her on another before she can do it again.

[quote name='Fireshot']After doing the missions "No. 1" and "Smackdown", which are both for Brucie I believe, Stevie will text you with the cars. After getting the first car head back to the safe house and save your game. When you "wake up" you will get another message. Repeat 29 more times. He will text you every 6 hours. This is the reason for the saving.[/QUOTE]

hmm... i looked through my texts and i dont have anything from him, even though i did beat the entire story...

[quote name='scrub0bk']hmm... i looked through my texts and i dont have anything from him, even though i did beat the entire story...[/QUOTE]

Have you recovered all the cars Brucie is looking for via e-mail? Only then will you get a call from Brucie letting you know that hes going to tell Stevie about you, then you will begin to receive text messages from him.

[quote name='TheMoor']Have you recovered all the cars Brucie is looking for via e-mail? Only then will you get a call from Brucie letting you know that hes going to tell Stevie about you, then you will begin to receive text messages from him.[/QUOTE]

got it, the email was buried in my inbox

thanks

[quote name='emdub']I've had Kiki's ability work during a mission.

As far as I know, it works like this: After you've taken her on a date, you can call her to remove your wanted level. After that, you need to take her on another before she can do it again.[/quote]

She denied me the first chance I tried it after I received the call from her about her ability. Then she denied me again right after a date (I blasted through a toll gate).

If she is that picky about when she is going to help me out, it's not worth the hassle of dating her. I still haven't tried Carmen's ability out because there always seems to be a hotdog stand nearby after I launch myself through a windshield or bail from a motorcycle.

Ok, about the wanted level perk:

Kiki (or whatever her name is, will only work during missions.Now, depending on who you save later in the game will decide whether or not you get the perk to lower your wanted level outside of missions. See other spoiler for info on this.

The other perk, mentioned above, is when you get to decide whether or not to kill Francis or Derrick. I can't remember who is the cop brother, but I believe its Derrick, and if you kill him, then you can call Francis anytime when you're not on a mission to clear your wanted level. Killing Francis gets you nothing but gratification, IIRC.

[quote name='chex20']Ok, about the wanted level perk:

Kiki (or whatever her name is, will only work during missions.Now, depending on who you save later in the game will decide whether or not you get the perk to lower your wanted level outside of missions. See other spoiler for info on this.

The other perk, mentioned above, is when you get to decide whether or not to kill Francis or Derrick. I can't remember who is the cop brother, but I believe its Derrick, and if you kill him, then you can call Francis anytime when you're not on a mission to clear your wanted level. Killing Francis gets you nothing but gratification, IIRC.
[/quote]

You might have that backwards, cos ive never had
Kiki help me during a mission, but she has gotten rid of wanted stars for hitting a cop car while driving, amung other small things outside of missions.

[quote name='The 7th Number']You might have that backwards, cos ive never had
Kiki help me during a mission, but she has gotten rid of wanted stars for hitting a cop car while driving, amung other small things outside of missions.
[/quote]
Kiki has helped me during a mission more than 2-3 times, however Francis never answered 1 of my calls. That fuck, I should have killed him.

[quote name='Dyson']
Kiki has helped me during a mission more than 2-3 times, however Francis never answered 1 of my calls. That fuck, I should have killed him.
[/quote]
Same here his ability only worked once =/

[quote name='pittpizza']
Either way, it doesnt ever seem worth re-loading to avoid the death penalty.

[/quote]

I dont reload just to save money. I reload to save time, and to save health, armor and ammo.

Quick question, I stole the first car Stevie requested. The only thing is, he didn't call me! It's been in my parking space for days now. When I got in for the first time, it told me that "I have found the car Stevie wanted" but no further instructions after that. Did I end a call too soon and not realize it?

[quote name='Littlefields']Quick question, I stole the first car Stevie requested. The only thing is, he didn't call me! It's been in my parking space for days now. When I got in for the first time, it told me that "I have found the car Stevie wanted" but no further instructions after that. Did I end a call too soon and not realize it?[/quote]

There is a garage in Bohan you have to take it to. It should be on your map.

[quote name='chex20']Ok, about the wanted level perk:

[/quote]

Well I'm going to have to back off on my previous Kiki hate because her ability just saved my ass in Three Leaf Clover. She removed my 3 star rating for me.

Just beat the game (late buyer). Overall very happy with the game beat it still want to go back and just look around at everything and go for that %100. I lucked out big on the ending, didn't have a back up save but choose revenge I'm glad I did after hearing of what the other ending entails.
Not in many other games have I actually felt sorrow for any of the characters in a game except when I saw Kate shot and Niko broken down to the point of crying, the talk between them before you get to the church really made me feel happy for Niko than that was immediately taken away and I felt actual sorrow for something made of 1's and 0's...so
I would say the story mode of the game is absolutely amazing.
One question on the box and the opening video thing there is the women with the red shirt and sucker in her mouth, maybe I missed her but from what others said she isn't in the game what so ever? I mean she must be in their or down the road sometime, I don't believe Rockstar would let that slip. I mean there are a hundred other things that could have been in her place Roman, Playboy, Elizebeta to name a few.

I wish I could of got some video of this funny shit that happened. I got drunk with Brucie and as we were driving back across the bridge, I crashed the car so it wouldn't drive anymore. I get out to walk to the taxi I just called... and out of nowhere another of the van taxi's come flying across the bridge and around the stopped cars and nails me at full speed.... Niko did a bunch of rolls backwards as he was thrown... but he didn't die somehow. He had just a tiny sliver of health. Then as I get into the first taxi, an explosion is caused from my original car being hit by something and Brucie is pretty much dead. I was in shock. It happened all so fast.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']I wish I could of got some video of this funny shit that happened. I got drunk with Brucie and as we were driving back across the bridge, I crashed the car so it wouldn't drive anymore. I get out to walk to the taxi I just called... and out of nowhere another of the van taxi's come flying across the bridge and around the stopped cars and nails me at full speed.... Niko did a bunch of rolls backwards as he was thrown... but he didn't die somehow. He had just a tiny sliver of health. Then as I get into the first taxi, an explosion is caused from my original car being hit by something and Brucie is pretty much dead. I was in shock. It happened all so fast.[/quote]
Haha. That reminds me, is there any logical reason why the gas station would randomly blow up? I was running past it when suddenly the gas station blew up, the ground shook and I died. All I could see in the death cam was flames. :whistle2:s

I think the funniest thing to happen to me was when "Goodbye Horses" was playing on Liberty Rock when I took Bernie out on one of the first missions.

[quote name='yukine']I think the funniest thing to happen to me was when "Goodbye Horses" was playing on Liberty Rock when I took Bernie out on one of the first missions.[/quote]

lol, every time I hear that song I think of Silence of the Lambs.

[quote name='yukine']I think the funniest thing to happen to me was when "Goodbye Horses" was playing on Liberty Rock when I took Bernie out on one of the first missions.[/quote]

I turn to that station, JUST for that song, lol. Reminds me of Clerks too much.

well, my GTA disc is thoroughly fucked. there's a big circular scratch on it and it won't let me get out of Alderney. though, I haven't tried a cab, but whenever I leave my safehouse I hear the disc stop spinning.

I've had my 360 for almost 2 years and it's never scratched a disc before. and no, I didn't move my 360 at all, I was just sitting there playing and I hear this screech.

I did buy the $3 disc protection from GameCrazy when I bought it, hopefully they can buff it out, or if not, give me the replacement they promised. I know it's not very CAG like to drop that $3, but if they can fix it then I'll be glad I did.

Well, I committed my first hate crime last night against some dude named Tom - I had to set up a date and everything over the internet. I beat him with a baseball bat outside the 69th street diner. The most awesome thing was when I was driving around town about 20 minutes later and they were reporting the beatdown on the radio - totally sick. They really thought of everything and I haven't even scratched the surface - I've never even been in a helicopter! I also made friends with Brucie (he's my favorite character so far) after we finished first in a race. It was tough - I had to retry it 5 times.

At this pace this game will take me forever - am I getting close to opening up the rest of the islands?

[quote name='Trenchalicious']I wish I could of got some video of this funny shit that happened. I got drunk with Brucie and as we were driving back across the bridge, I crashed the car so it wouldn't drive anymore. I get out to walk to the taxi I just called... and out of nowhere another of the van taxi's come flying across the bridge and around the stopped cars and nails me at full speed.... Niko did a bunch of rolls backwards as he was thrown... but he didn't die somehow. He had just a tiny sliver of health. Then as I get into the first taxi, an explosion is caused from my original car being hit by something and Brucie is pretty much dead. I was in shock. It happened all so fast.[/QUOTE] If GTA IV had the ability to save video footage of things that happen in the game, I'd probably never stop playing it. The other day I was in a car hurrying somewhere, and I had built up a fair bit of speed. There were a bunch of cars lined up waiting at a red light, and I tried to squeeze between the lanes, but was going too fast and smashed into them. One of the cars I hit was already smoking for some reason, and the impact caused it to explode. Cars were flipped up on their sides, some were burning, a huge crowd of pedestrians were running in every direction screaming, just complete chaos. Right in the middle of it all is a cop car, and as I was trying to work my way out of the tangle of cars, a cop gets out and I hear him say "(Sigh) If I wasn't so tired I'd sort this all out." I thought that was beautiful. :lol:

[quote name='javeryh']
Well, I committed my first hate crime last night against some dude named Tom - I had to set up a date and everything over the internet. I beat him with a baseball bat outside the 69th street diner. The most awesome thing was when I was driving around town about 20 minutes later and they were reporting the beatdown on the radio - totally sick. They really thought of everything and I haven't even scratched the surface - I've never even been in a helicopter! I also made friends with Brucie (he's my favorite character so far) after we finished first in a race. It was tough - I had to retry it 5 times.

At this pace this game will take me forever - am I getting close to opening up the rest of the islands?[/quote]

I just stood up and killed him with a shotgun blast to the face. :lol:

And no, you have a crap load more to do. I think it took me around 30 hours to finish the story missions and a few side quests. Or maybe I'm just slow. I still have a lot to do (barely used the Internets/Television) and online play is pretty fun as well.

I was so pissed last night, but it was so funny i can't stay mad.

I go and get shitfaced with Brucie (he is one of my favorites too Javery, though he is one cocky conceited ass motherfucker, lol).

So I've heard that if you do multiple activities, you can get them to like you faster. Ex: Set a date to eat, but drink first then eat adn you'll get double. Can anybody confirm this????

Anyway, we go get shitfaced and I'm trying to get a cab to go to the bar but simply can't. I can hail em "Hey YELLOW CAR!!" "Taxi Cab!" Such a funny accent. Anyway I hail them and by the time I can get there (falling all over the place) they pull away.

SO I get the bright idea to call up Roman for a free ride. His asshole driver races up to me, completely runs me over and I die. 10k down the drain (though I don't think it is actually this much yet) and a failed man-date.

Another question: I clicked "DATE" on lawchick's profile, and didn't go back to tw@ for a while. WHen I did, I saw a reply email asking for a date on Wednesday at noon and I replied to it. SO I go to leave the internet cafe, check my phone and the time says Wednesday 14:30 or something. Will I get another date?

Damn I'm stuck on Packie's bank robbery mission, I've done it about 5 or 6 times and died every time, it takes way too long to complete

BTW, that mission remind anyone of the scene from Dark Knight that they showed before I Am Legend last December?

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Damn I'm stuck on Packie's bank robbery mission, I've done it about 5 or 6 times and died every time, it takes way too long to complete

BTW, that mission remind anyone of the scene from Dark Knight that they showed before I Am Legend last December?[/QUOTE]

Its more reminiscent of scene from the movie "Heat"

Alright i've finally bought this game after my exams. The problem almost none of my friends have an xbox so what was the CAGGTA gamertag again so i can join some games?

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Damn I'm stuck on Packie's bank robbery mission, I've done it about 5 or 6 times and died every time, it takes way too long to complete[/quote]

Look for the healthpack around the 3rd or 4th police encounter on the streets. It's in the alley you use for cover. Look for cellar doors that are open. It's in there, down a couple steps.

There is also a healthpack right before you ascend the final stairs into the streets. You also don't ahve to go into the street, just backtrack down onto the tracks and sprint out of the red/blue circle.

In the beggining of that bank mission, throw a mcshitload of grenades at the cop cars, also make sure to watch your back, it took me 3 tries to finally finish it, because I died right in the beggining, because I forgot the pigs were behind me.

Always stay behind a wall or something to get cover, you should have a shit load of ammo, and once you get into the subway...shit's gravy son.

i beat the bank mission on the second try.. and I would have beaten on the first try if one of the Mcready boys didn't catch on fire...

[quote name='DJSteel']i beat the bank mission on the second try.. and I would have beaten on the first try if one of the Mcready boys didn't catch on fire...[/quote]

Those damn McCreary boys!! Always messin with that wheat thresher!

Somehow, "Three Leaf Clover" is the only mission where I got it right on the first try. And this is coming from somebody who had problems with the mission where all you had to do is chase the gay-basher on a vespa!

Had a weird experience...I was on a mission where you have to steal a cop car and do a search for the target's name. I was parked in the street while doing this. Just as I exited the search, a Hummer smashed full-speed into me and I instantly died. Had full health and armor.

Every other time I've parked in the street, cars have just lined up sedately behind me. This ever happen to anyone else?

[quote name='aerotive']Had a weird experience...I was on a mission where you have to steal a cop car and do a search for the target's name. I was parked in the street while doing this. Just as I exited the search, a Hummer smashed full-speed into me and I instantly died. Had full health and armor.

Every other time I've parked in the street, car have just lined up sedately behind me. This ever happen to anyone else?[/quote]

It actually happens alot. Also, as a side note, falls/crashes/etc. armor does not count towards the damage. Meaning, if you fall from a roof with full health and full armor, it will only take the damage from the health side and not the armor side. So if somehow you manage to survive, you will have full armor and very low health.

[quote name='aerotive']Had a weird experience...I was on a mission where you have to steal a cop car and do a search for the target's name. I was parked in the street while doing this. Just as I exited the search, a Hummer smashed full-speed into me and I instantly died. Had full health and armor.

Every other time I've parked in the street, car have just lined up sedately behind me. This ever happen to anyone else?[/quote]

I've been plowed into before, but it has never killed me. Must have been because it was a Hummer that hit you.

I was riding a motorcycle at full speed across one of the bridges and trying to ride a wheelie when I hit the guardrail or something. I shot into the air, still on the motorcycle, and smashed my head on one of the steel beams on the bridge. Instant death.

bread's done
Back