Grand Theft Auto V (FIVE) - New Trailer feat. Los Santos

This is a new character. That didn't look like Tommy Vercetti or sound anything like Ray Liotta.

I think Rockstar needs to remember that people liked the GTA games for their hyperexaggerated worlds, not this painfully real, cliched, amatuer storytelling they keep trying to get after. I was skipping the cutscenes in GTA IV because I couldn't stand the bland story they kept trying to force on us.

There was something nice about Claude not talking, keeping the cutscenes short, so that we could get back to playing the game.

I still don't understand the love people have for saints row. I put two hours into the second one and thought it was a giant piece of shit. All that corny stuff can stay in saints row. Aside from the shoot outs everything grand theft auto four did was pretty much spot on, even the more realistic driving.

The big selling point for saints row 3 so far has been giant dildos. If that stuff interests you then fine, but gta should refrain from that corny garbage.

[quote name='The 7th Number']There was still the rumor of the game having 2 main characters to play as, im still hoping the 2nd character is a woman. Could be his GF or wife, not sure what his status is.

I thought rockstar said this was a different universe from old GTA games, so i dont see them using any old characters from last generation of GTA games.

There is also a dog walking with a couple on the beach, first time ever for dogs in gta.[/QUOTE]

I believe that shot and the mountain climbing shot are some type of in game TV advertisment and not reflective of gameplay. The beach shot had a dog and birds when there were no birds in any other shot of the trailer, and the cloud behind the mountain climbers were more dynamic, along with their movements, including holding hands which pedestrians did not do in GTA IV or anywhere else in the trailer.

The guy in the video looked like an older Tommy Vercetti to me, I'm betting he's the antagonist this time around.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']
The big selling point for saints row 3 so far has been giant dildos. If that stuff interests you then fine, but gta should refrain from that corny garbage.[/QUOTE]

For the record, GTA: San Andreas did the dildo first. It was found in the Police Department shower room. Why I remember that, I don't know.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I still don't understand the love people have for saints row. I put two hours into the second one and thought it was a giant piece of shit. All that corny stuff can stay in saints row. Aside from the shoot outs everything grand theft auto four did was pretty much spot on, even the more realistic driving.

The big selling point for saints row 3 so far has been giant dildos. If that stuff interests you then fine, but gta should refrain from that corny garbage.[/QUOTE]

While it is easy to try and belittle Saint's Row because of how over the top the series is, in many ways it captured some of the fun of the prior GTA titles than GTA IV. For one, a lot of the missions in GTA IV were the same, a mix of driving to a location, shoot-out, and then driving back. The variety from earlier GTAs was gone. Saint's Row 2 had a lot of variety, not only in the sheer amount of things to do in the world but with missions that were different from one another, often drastically different. San Andreas had a lot of goofy stuff in it, the jet pack, everything having a 69 (Area 69, every runway, etc), there was a lot both sharp satire and juvenile humor. GTA IV put a lot of that humor in the background with the TV shows and websites but it didn't feel as much as a part of the game which had a much more serious tone. Saint's Row went the other way with it.

GTA should refrain from maybe going as far with the goofy stuff, but to refrain completely it would not be a GTA title. Considering the trailer has a lot of humor in the background (the jetski's name is the Speedophile and so on) I'm hoping there will be a better balance in GTA V than IV.

Also, I hope in V the main character isn't a bitch that does fetch quests for a bunch of idiots while trying to redeem themselves in such a way that they have to kill hundreds of people.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']This is a new character.[/QUOTE]

Source?

[quote name='The Ebbtide']That didn't look like Tommy Vercetti[/QUOTE]

It sure did, and it seems as though quite a few others agree after watching the trailer.

Please bring back fun open world sandbox game and not realism like in 4. We want to destroy planes and blow shit up and not take cousins out on dates. Thank you.

[quote name='sp00ge']For the record, GTA: San Andreas did the dildo first. It was found in the Police Department shower room. Why I remember that, I don't know.[/QUOTE]
That is what I remember most about San Andreas.

[quote name='sp00ge']There seems to be a bit of emphasis on the fact his voice is "not in the trailer" but this doesn't rule out him being in the game altogether.[/QUOTE]

True though many (myself included) thought that was him talking.

It's too bad they went with another city they already did. It looks pretty good, and GTA:SA was probably my favorite that I played, but it would also have been nice to get a little more variety. They showed they could do it with VC, RDR, and even perhaps LA Noire (didn't play it yet), why can they not take some of that creativity and apply it to the modern GTA series?

Maybe I'll give this one a try but I skipped GTA IV and never felt the urge to try it out. I think if they do the whole multiple city thing with countryside in between, I will give it a go. Being locked into a generic modern city just doesn't appeal to me, which is why I had no desire to play GTA IV.

Meh, San Andreas was my least favorite GTA game and I barely played 4 at all. Saints Row has been way more fun than GTA. But the graphics in 5 are pretty sick, it has me a little excited. I'll see how I feel when more info comes out.

I was reluctantly awaiting a LA/San Andreas return before the trailer, but after watching I'm excited. Graphics look amazing and the RAGE engine used in GTA IV has had quite a bit of time for some polish.

However, I think the best thing about GTA: San Andreas was the soundtrack and setting. I ate the tupac/nwa up and the turf battles/running a crew (Grove 4 LIFE!). It'll be interesting to see if similar elements are present in V. Although I loved 4, I'm hoping for gameplay and story similar to Gay Tony.

Heidi Montag and Spencer better be scared - because I have a feeling the writers are going to rip them to shreds in whatever in-game parody they come up with.

[quote name='whiptcracker']While it is easy to try and belittle Saint's Row because of how over the top the series is, in many ways it captured some of the fun of the prior GTA titles than GTA IV. For one, a lot of the missions in GTA IV were the same, a mix of driving to a location, shoot-out, and then driving back. The variety from earlier GTAs was gone. Saint's Row 2 had a lot of variety, not only in the sheer amount of things to do in the world but with missions that were different from one another, often drastically different. San Andreas had a lot of goofy stuff in it, the jet pack, everything having a 69 (Area 69, every runway, etc), there was a lot both sharp satire and juvenile humor. GTA IV put a lot of that humor in the background with the TV shows and websites but it didn't feel as much as a part of the game which had a much more serious tone. Saint's Row went the other way with it.

GTA should refrain from maybe going as far with the goofy stuff, but to refrain completely it would not be a GTA title. Considering the trailer has a lot of humor in the background (the jetski's name is the Speedophile and so on) I'm hoping there will be a better balance in GTA V than IV.

Also, I hope in V the main character isn't a bitch that does fetch quests for a bunch of idiots while trying to redeem themselves in such a way that they have to kill hundreds of people.[/QUOTE]Completely agree with every point. I enjoyed GTA IV a lot, but I did miss the goofier tone of the earlier GTA games. The humor has always been a huge part of what draws me to the series; I am hoping GTA V takes itself a bit less seriously than IV.

I love the Saint's Row series, and I think it has surpassed GTA for me this gen, but I wouldn't want to see GTA take things as far as SR does. I hope they find the sweet spot somewhere between GTA IV's super-serious tone and SR3's nothing is too outrageous approach.

[quote name='Deefuzz']After watching it a few times, that's all I can hear is Ray Liotta.
So we are following up on Tommy Vercetti? I approve! :D[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Doomtime']That does sound like Ray and a lot of people are thinking it's an older Tommy V[/QUOTE]
[quote name='GUNNM']is that ray liota talking?[/QUOTE]
You guys are insane and over-excited. That sounded NOTHING like Ray Liotta, do you guys even know who he is apart from his voice acting role as Tommy Vercetti?
[quote name='CaseyRyback']I still don't understand the love people have for saints row. I put two hours into the second one and thought it was a giant piece of shit. All that corny stuff can stay in saints row. Aside from the shoot outs everything grand theft auto four did was pretty much spot on, even the more realistic driving.

I couldn't agree with you more. I LOVED the realistic driving physics in GTA IV and I don't understand why some people have a problem with it. Maybe it's because their 15 and have never driven a real car in real life before?

[quote name='dotCody']You guys are insane and over-excited. That sounded NOTHING like Ray Liotta, do you guys even know who he is apart from his voice acting role as Tommy Vercetti?[/QUOTE]

It actually sounded enough like him that IGN reached out to Liotta's representatives to find out if it was him or not (it was confirmed that it was not).

Nice try on the trolling there though.

Personally I don't hear Ray Liotta... From the second he started talking on my first watch, I thought it sounded a lot like Kid Rock. The distinct tone and the pauses are almost identical to how he speaks.

The weird thing is that the character they show has a hugely striking resemblance to Liotta.

[quote name='Deefuzz']It actually sounded enough like him that IGN reached out to Liotta's representatives to find out if it was him or not (it was confirmed that it was not).

Nice try on the trolling there though.[/QUOTE]

Probably because enough 15 year old dweebs believed it to be Ray Liotta. IGNorance spreads like a wildfire on the internet.

Nice try on the pot calling the kettle black.

The first time I watched it I thought it was Liotta, too. I just went back and watched it a second time. I now question how I could have ever thought that sounded like Ray Liotta.

I can't be the only one who mistook the homeless man (single shot, holding a cardboard sign) to be Niko Bellic and the dude in the wifebeater running from the cops to be CJ Johnson, can I? Yeah, yeah, they were different enough, but if it's a modern setting, and Vercetti was 1980's, Johnson in the 1990's, well...it's not like they could reasonably have reintroduced the same characters as were in Vice City and San Andreas, right?

I'm not convinced it is those two - or that they're even remotely important characters. But I am convinced that those two characters bear a striking resemblance to the main characters of previous GTA games, and I am also convinced that this is done quite deliberately.

[quote name='mykevermin']The first time I watched it I thought it was Liotta, too. I just went back and watched it a second time. I now question how I could have ever thought that sounded like Ray Liotta.

I can't be the only one who mistook the homeless man (single shot, holding a cardboard sign) to be Niko Bellic and the dude in the wifebeater running from the cops to be CJ Johnson, can I? Yeah, yeah, they were different enough, but if it's a modern setting, and Vercetti was 1980's, Johnson in the 1990's, well...it's not like they could reasonably have reintroduced the same characters as were in Vice City and San Andreas, right?

I'm not convinced it is those two - or that they're even remotely important characters. But I am convinced that those two characters bear a striking resemblance to the main characters of previous GTA games, and I am also convinced that this is done quite deliberately.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I doubt it. Rockstar said the GTA III age the current GTA IV-V age were in different canons, probably just a little coincidental. And Niko got rich in GTA IV, why would he go begging in Los Santos.

And on a side note, I am officially fucking pumped for GTA V. The graphics looks absolutely beautiful, the story sounds pretty damn interesting, and it looks like they're bringing back fixed wing aircraft. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the final product.

I'm guessing Q4 of next year. Max Payne 3 should occupy Rockstars thirst for sales in their usual timeslot (spring).

GTA V rumors..... i wouldnt be too sure to believe them though, but thought i would post em for fun.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...did-a-ton-of-grand-theft-auto-5-details-leak/

A ton of details regarding Grand Theft Auto 5 have supposedly leaked. The source of the rumors: A message board-poster who claims to have once worked for "a PlayStation-focused magazine based in the UK" that had a chance to look at 30 minutes of video footage of the game. So, yeah, it's a dubious rumor, but the content of his post are pretty interesting.... although, they may be SPOILERS, so be aware.

According to the rumors, Grand Theft Auto 5 will be four times as large as GTA 4, but will take place only in Los Santos and surrounding areas, so no trips to San Francisco or Las Vegas are in the cards.
The rest of the rumors are contained below, and I'll let you read them all:

• The game world is absolutely massive and will push both Xbox and PS3 to the very limit in terms of what it has accomplished. Yes, the main city is simply Los Santos however is it AT LEAST 4 times bigger than Liberty City in GTA 4 and that is just Los Santos. The surrounding country side, beaches, etc are massive. For instance, we saw the main character (an African/American, early 30′s) travel by car from the center of Los Santos into the wilderness and it took over 15 minutes. The views were incredible from farmhouses with cattle, huge wind farms, an oil refinery which appeared to be living and breathing with nearly 100 NPCs working on machinery, operating vehicles, lifting and loaded, etc, unlike the gas works in GTA 4 which seemed to only house a few NPC at a time. The forests are more beautiful than those in RDR and featured people camping, young NPC drinking and dancing around campfires, people riding dirt bikes and jumping over logs, streams, etc. The water effects, forna, plants, trees all looked beautiful.
  • The shooting mechanics have been greatly improved with animations for diving, climbing, rolling and crawling all added for better realism. The re-loading animations for new ammo also look cooler, less static.
  • There is much more climbable elements in the world such as ladders, overhand climbing, etc.
  • There are animals in the game from dogs to cattle but at this time it is not confirmed if you will be able to harm the animals. Rockstar were able to get away with it in RDR as it was a true depiction of the world in which the game was set. Allowing dogs/cattle to die in a game sent in current times may cause headaches with PETA. Its unclear if Rockstar were joking here.
  • There are planes to pilot and they can be crashed into buildings if you choose to do so….

• Rockstar have included many, many more interior locations such as a shopping mall, college campus, police station, a huge hospital and there is also a vast underground sewer network which one mission later in the game involves a jet ski chase that culminates in a Fugitive-esque waterfall jump ( there are nods to the ridiculous but awesome Ballad Of Gay Tony missions)
  • The city is full of NPCs jogging, weight-lifting, hitting on women, being chased on foot by cops, shopping, washing cars, fixing fences, moving home, filling up their cars, etc
  • Cars can be upgraded/repaired and it has been considered to have a car have fuel forcing the player to fill her up.
  • The dating aspect of the game is gone. You still have a cell-phone but only people you will meet in the game will call you to ask you to do a mission or to ask you to do something else before the mission.
  • Weapons include the usual arsenal you’d expect but the flamethrowers, remote mines, laxer trip mines and claymores are included. It is possible now to pick up random objects in a street/building to use as a weapon. There is also a museum where it is possible to steal old age swords, axes, etc.
  • It is possible to rupture a fuel line and if you shot at the trail of gasoline it will lead straight back to the car blowing it up.
  • Mini games such as bowling, darts, etc have all gone. You can play basketball, weight train, arm wrestle, gamble and cage fight, enter triathlons, water races, cannoning, ab-saling, rock climbing, base jumping, ski diving. More to be confirmed.
  • Character customization is back but only in terms of clothing, body weight, etc. The player you start off which, much like CJ, can’t be altered by race, age, height, etc.
  • Rockstar said burglary missions may return but only as part of missions and not on neighborhood houses.
  • No children NPC at all. Ever.
  • There is now an ability to grab people and use as shields or in “hostage” situations.
  • The cops are much, much, much more realistic. If you kill somebody when you know there are no cops around you will not run the risk of a one star as often as you would in GTA4. The cops will use smoke and tear gas, dogs, riot gear and rams to knock down the doors of buildings you are hiding in.
  • You can enter some buildings and lock doors, push objects in the way to barricade.
  • You become better at things as the game progresses. If you only ride motorbikes then you will increase your skills, same as individual weapons.
  • Certain weapons can be customizable and some even home-made.
  • One mission involves breaking out a very familiar GTA icon from a previous game…
  • Torrential rain fall and sunshine and even tremors will appear in the game.
We like to judge the veracity of rumors here at G4, but in this case, it's impossible to say. While nothing sticks out as me as ridiculously untrue, on the other hand, there's no reason at all to think that this anything but an internet poster with semi-rational ideas of what to expect in the next GTA game. So I leave the truth and falsehood for you, reader, to judge. I will take no position at all.

[quote name='The 7th Number']
A ton of details regarding Grand Theft Auto 5 have supposedly leaked. The source of the rumors: A message board-poster who claims to have once worked for "a PlayStation-focused magazine based in the UK" that had a chance to look at 30 minutes of video footage of the game. So, yeah, it's a dubious rumor, but the content of his post are pretty interesting.... although, they may be SPOILERS, so be aware.

According to the rumors, Grand Theft Auto 5 will be four times as large as GTA 4, but will take place only in Los Santos and surrounding areas, so no trips to San Francisco or Las Vegas are in the cards.

• The game world is absolutely massive and will push both Xbox and PS3 to the very limit in terms of what it has accomplished. Yes, the main city is simply Los Santos however is it AT LEAST 4 times bigger than Liberty City in GTA 4 and that is just Los Santos. The surrounding country side, beaches, etc are massive. For instance, we saw the main character (an African/American, early 30′s) travel by car from the center of Los Santos into the wilderness and it took over 15 minutes. The views were incredible from farmhouses with cattle, huge wind farms, an oil refinery which appeared to be living and breathing with nearly 100 NPCs working on machinery, operating vehicles, lifting and loaded, etc, unlike the gas works in GTA 4 which seemed to only house a few NPC at a time. The forests are more beautiful than those in RDR and featured people camping, young NPC drinking and dancing around campfires, people riding dirt bikes and jumping over logs, streams, etc. The water effects, forna, plants, trees all looked beautiful.
  • The shooting mechanics have been greatly improved with animations for diving, climbing, rolling and crawling all added for better realism. The re-loading animations for new ammo also look cooler, less static.
  • There is much more climbable elements in the world such as ladders, overhand climbing, etc.
  • There are animals in the game from dogs to cattle but at this time it is not confirmed if you will be able to harm the animals. Rockstar were able to get away with it in RDR as it was a true depiction of the world in which the game was set. Allowing dogs/cattle to die in a game sent in current times may cause headaches with PETA. Its unclear if Rockstar were joking here.
  • There are planes to pilot and they can be crashed into buildings if you choose to do so….

• Rockstar have included many, many more interior locations such as a shopping mall, college campus, police station, a huge hospital and there is also a vast underground sewer network which one mission later in the game involves a jet ski chase that culminates in a Fugitive-esque waterfall jump ( there are nods to the ridiculous but awesome Ballad Of Gay Tony missions)
  • The city is full of NPCs jogging, weight-lifting, hitting on women, being chased on foot by cops, shopping, washing cars, fixing fences, moving home, filling up their cars, etc
  • Cars can be upgraded/repaired and it has been considered to have a car have fuel forcing the player to fill her up.
  • The dating aspect of the game is gone. You still have a cell-phone but only people you will meet in the game will call you to ask you to do a mission or to ask you to do something else before the mission.
  • Weapons include the usual arsenal you’d expect but the flamethrowers, remote mines, laxer trip mines and claymores are included. It is possible now to pick up random objects in a street/building to use as a weapon. There is also a museum where it is possible to steal old age swords, axes, etc.
  • It is possible to rupture a fuel line and if you shot at the trail of gasoline it will lead straight back to the car blowing it up.
  • Mini games such as bowling, darts, etc have all gone. You can play basketball, weight train, arm wrestle, gamble and cage fight, enter triathlons, water races, cannoning, ab-saling, rock climbing, base jumping, ski diving. More to be confirmed.
  • Character customization is back but only in terms of clothing, body weight, etc. The player you start off which, much like CJ, can’t be altered by race, age, height, etc.
  • Rockstar said burglary missions may return but only as part of missions and not on neighborhood houses.
  • There is now an ability to grab people and use as shields or in “hostage” situations.
  • The cops are much, much, much more realistic. If you kill somebody when you know there are no cops around you will not run the risk of a one star as often as you would in GTA4. The cops will use smoke and tear gas, dogs, riot gear and rams to knock down the doors of buildings you are hiding in.
  • You can enter some buildings and lock doors, push objects in the way to barricade.
  • You become better at things as the game progresses. If you only ride motorbikes then you will increase your skills, same as individual weapons.
  • One mission involves breaking out a very familiar GTA icon from a previous game…
We like to judge the veracity of rumors here at G4, but in this case, it's impossible to say. While nothing sticks out as me as ridiculously untrue, on the other hand, there's no reason at all to think that this anything but an internet poster with semi-rational ideas of what to expect in the next GTA game. So I leave the truth and falsehood for you, reader, to judge. I will take no position at all.
[/QUOTE]
I can only dream...:drool:

[quote name='The 7th Number']

[/QUOTE]It all sounds pretty good, but I'm not sure I need a game area 4 times the size of GTA IV. I think, for me, the bigger and bigger game worlds that developers talk about when hyping their game are starting almost starting to feel like more of a negative than a positive. 15 minutes to drive from downtown to the wilderness? Ugh. Especially in a series famous for having missions send you from one end of the map to the other. As long as they have something like the trip-skip feature, I guess it's not a huge deal, and as long as the game world features a lot of variety (which it sounds like GTA V will) then it's all good by me.

[quote name='mykevermin']Bingo. A city that large would need a "fast travel" feature akin to what Oblivion and Fallout 3 have.[/QUOTE]

GTA IV had it in a sense via Taxi. Hop in, pick your destination and either sit back and enjoy the ride, pay the cabby to drive faster or just completely skip to the destination.

Will they put auto aim in the game again? If i wrote a review for gta4 i woulda given it a 6 because it lost 4 points just because autoaim was in the game.

[quote name='mykevermin']Bingo. A city that large would need a "fast travel" feature akin to what Oblivion and Fallout 3 have.[/QUOTE]
A game that large would most likely have the Taxi rides, which was a feature in previous Grand Theft Auto games. Also, who needs that when it's quite obvious (to me at least) that fixed winged aircraft will be making a return. :hot:
[quote name='Mr. 420']Will they put auto aim in the game again? If i wrote a review for gta4 i woulda given it a 6 because it lost 4 points just because autoaim was in the game.[/QUOTE]
A Grand Theft Auto without Auto-Aim is just Driv3r. Do you know how shitty the aiming mechanic is in that game? If you have a problem with it, then turn it off (which you could in GTA IV) and stop bitching.
[quote name='The 7th Number']You couldnt turn it off? Personally i love auto aim in GTA, it would feel weird without it.[/QUOTE]
I completely agree with you. Again. :whistle2:#

I mean having a world size that big would be impressive but I don't think I want something that big. There becomes a point where it gets too big and that would be way too big. If I have to spend like 10 minutes driving to the country/city in just Los Santos, then I don't think I would like it. Unless there is fast travel.

I don't mind huge expansive maps in rpg's because they have fast travel and all, but in GTA I think it would take away from the action and just be too much driving. I mean even San Andreas was pushing it in world size for me at some spots.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I mean having a world size that big would be impressive but I don't think I want something that big. There becomes a point where it gets too big and that would be way too big. If I have to spend like 10 minutes driving to the country/city in just Los Santos, then I don't think I would like it. Unless there is fast travel.

I don't mind huge expansive maps in rpg's because they have fast travel and all, but in GTA I think it would take away from the action and just be too much driving. I mean even San Andreas was pushing it in world size for me at some spots.[/QUOTE]
...Taxi rides. We had em' in GTA IV, no reason why they wouldn't be in GTA V. And before you say anything, you could skip the ride to your destination.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I mean having a world size that big would be impressive but I don't think I want something that big. There becomes a point where it gets too big and that would be way too big. If I have to spend like 10 minutes driving to the country/city in just Los Santos, then I don't think I would like it. Unless there is fast travel.

I don't mind huge expansive maps in rpg's because they have fast travel and all, but in GTA I think it would take away from the action and just be too much driving. I mean even San Andreas was pushing it in world size for me at some spots.[/QUOTE]
uhhh k

I'm of the opposite opinion. They can't make the world big enough. I know it becomes annoying sometimes for certain missions that require you to go from one end of the map to the other, but I think it's more fun when the city is large enough that you can't memorize your way around it.

[quote name='Ashwood']Not really 'fake'. They're just guessing, as most shops tend to do with massive games.[/QUOTE]

They couldn't guess a Tuesday release date?

I think I'm in the minority who liked GTA IV so it'll be interesting to see how V turns out. I hope it does a good job combining San Andreas and IV elements.

bread's done
Back