Grand Theft Auto V Special Edition Instock @ Toysrus.com

considering im in no big hurry to get it (im finishing up saints row). thats fine with me. i just know this version is out of stock everywhere and i really wanted that steelbook.

considering im in no big hurry to get it (im finishing up saints row). thats fine with me. i just know this version is out of stock everywhere and i really wanted that steelbook.
Yeah if you don't mind waiting then it is a good find. I'd say you have about a 50/50 chance of them fulfilling orders... maybe a little bit more if this is the first time they've listed the Special Edition for presale. TRU does have a history of cancelling orders though.

I wish Amazon would re-stock the special edition, I have some credit to use on the pre-order. I passed on the gamestop re-stock and will probably pass in this one as well, I'll use my credit to get the standard edition on Amazon and wait for the steelbook to drop in price.

One night a few weeks back I was desperately searching for this version on very site I could imagine. I came across Walmart and strangly enough it was back in stock after being sold out. I was able to order it, and the money came out instantly, and was "pending". Last week I suddenly had the money back, and verified two separate times with Walmart CS that my order was still placed and would receive it Tuesday. I bet it gets cancelled :(

One night a few weeks back I was desperately searching for this version on very site I could imagine. I came across Walmart and strangly enough it was back in stock after being sold out. I was able to order it, and the money came out instantly, and was "pending". Last week I suddenly had the money back, and verified two separate times with Walmart CS that my order was still placed and would receive it Tuesday. I bet it gets cancelled :(
thats called a pre-authorization charge. they charge your card to make sure its a valid card with funds then they release the funds back to you a few days later. they will charge your card again when it ships

Is it just me. Or are the special editions for this game completely underwhelming? I love CEs and what not, but this one seems dull to me.

I preordered thinking I got the same dlc as the collector's, so yes this is underwhelming. And usually a pre-authorization is $1, not the full package price.

Why does this keep selling out? I don't get it. It's $20 for a map, a steel book, and what, some DLC? How's that a good deal? Meanwhile no one seems to give a shit about their big collector's edition.  :lol:

The steelbook is a draw. The best priced LE in recent memory was the Bioshock Infinite in my mind, which was also $79. I do wish I could get the Collectors Edition dlc for less than $70 extra dollars.

Why does this keep selling out? I don't get it. It's $20 for a map, a steel book, and what, some DLC? How's that a good deal? Meanwhile no one seems to give a shit about their big collector's edition. :lol:
Easy explanation: GTA.

Yes, I said it. GTA.

GTA.

Do you want it yet?

GTA. What about now? GTA.

GRAND. GIVE. THEFT. ME. AUTO. YOUR. FIVE. MONEY.

The steelbook is a draw. The best priced LE in recent memory was the Bioshock Infinite in my mind, which was also $79. I do wish I could get the Collectors Edition dlc for less than $70 extra dollars.
Usually you don't have to pay $20 extra for a steelbook though. Most of the time it's basically considered an "alternate" packaging to entice buyers (i.e. a blu-ray has been out for awhile, and then later on they re-release it as a steelbook to rekindle sales interest). In the case of video games it seems to be more of a pre-order bonus type thing (Ni No Kuni, Assassin's Creed III, Prototype 2, etc).

$20 for a blueprint and a steelbook is a bit of rip-off IMO. But then I tend to see most of the CE's as a dubious value - at least if you breakdown the items you get for the premium you pay. I'm sure some of them are a legit "value" for collectors, but to me alot of that stuff is clutter. Don't get me wrong, I've been suckered by a few CE's that I just couldn't resist. But both this special edition and collector edition are not really appealing to me for the price. I might have been interested in the CE if it was $99.99, although the "value" would still be questionable. At $149 it's a joke IMO.

Maybe since the CE doesn't seem to be selling, it will end up cleared out for much less. But then i probably will end up buying the game long before that anyway so it won't really matter for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually you don't have to pay $20 extra for a steelbook though. Most of the time it's basically considered an "alternate" packaging to entice buyers (i.e. a blu-ray has been out for awhile, and then later on they re-release it as a steelbook to rekindle sales interest). In the case of video games it seems to be more of a pre-order bonus type thing (Ni No Kuni, Assassin's Creed III, Prototype 2, etc).

$20 for a blueprint and a steelbook is a bit of rip-off IMO. But then I tend to see most of the CE's as a dubious value - at least if you breakdown the items you get for the premium you pay. I'm sure some of them are a legit "value" for collectors, but to me alot of that stuff is clutter. Don't get me wrong, I've been suckered by a few CE's that I just couldn't resist. But both this special edition and collector edition are not really appealing to me for the price. I might have been interested in the CE if it was $99.99, although the "value" would still be questionable. At $149 it's a joke IMO.

Maybe since the CE doesn't seem to be selling, it will end up cleared out for much less. But then i probably will end up buying the game long before that anyway so it won't really matter for me.
Not to justify the price, but there is some DLC in there as well. I wouldn't say it's a rip off, just a tad overpriced.

The CE, however.... now THAT is a rip-off.

Anyone else pre order from walmart.com?   mine still shows estimated devlivery date of the 24-26th >.

Is it just me. Or are the special editions for this game completely underwhelming? I love CEs and what not, but this one seems dull to me.
It's not just you. I love a good first print or special edition. But this one definitely does not justify the cost, especially at $20 more.

I still own the GTA 4 special edtion ($90) and was well worth the price, totally worth it.

It's not just you. I love a good first print or special edition. But this one definitely does not justify the cost, especially at $20 more.

I still own the GTA 4 special edtion ($90) and was well worth the price, totally worth it.
Not if you sell that DLC...you'll essentially pay $20 for the game/steelbook

What the dude is selling is the CE DLC, not the SE DLC. There's some extra shit that's exclusive to the CE:

• 5. Custom Characters for Grand Theft Auto Online - get classic Grand Theft Auto characters to use within the Grand Theft Auto Online Character Creation System
  • 6. Unique Vehicles and Garage Property - players will instantly receive a garage to store custom vehicles. In single-player, the garage will be stocked with the 1930's style Hotknife hotrod and the CarbonRS sports bike. In Grand Theft Auto Online, players will get the high-end Khamelion electric car.

Anybody actually order this when it was in stock? I placed an order Wednesday. I got two emails about it, one order confirmation and the other saying it's a preorder and will ship 9/17. I have a pending transaction of $85 on my credit card. Here's hoping it's actually fulfilled.

Last edited by a moderator:
My walmart.com order has shipped but my kmart.com one has had no status update nor credit card charge. I did the kmart.com one first felt iffy on it and ordered on walmart.com when I saw it was available. So at least I'll get one copy and I can return or sell on ebay the other one if it ever does ship.

I called TRU yesterday and they told me the special edition was back ordered. They couldn't give me any estimate on if and when they would have it in stock. So I canceled the order and picked up a standard copy at Best Buy this morning.

bread's done
Back