Grandia-Playstation/2 ports vs. Original Saturn/Dreamcast versions

Matrix2k3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I've been wanting to try the first two Grandia games after hearing so much about them. I've heard a bunch of people saying bad things about the Grandia 2 PS2 port and was wondering how the ports compared to the originals, and exactly what the issue with the PS2 version was.

I too would like to hear what the Grandia Xtreme PS2 port problems were. Beat Grandia II on the DC and LOVED it. One of my favorite RPGs to date.

Grandia II was a near-launch title for PS2, right(which would explain the massive bugs, freezing, and slow-down). Get the DC version if you can.

OMFG! You have to get the Dreamcast or PC version! I have all three versions of Grandia II, and the PS2 version is unplayable. Don't play the bug filled mess that is the PS2 port! Bah!

A few specifics about the PS2 version -

*Horrible slowdown

*Grainy, dirty graphics

*Technical issues (Such as slow text, sound issues) This stuff just kills the experience.

The PS2 version is basically a botched attempt by GameArts. It looks like they figured out the PS2's hardware with Grandia III, but skip this slop.

actually game art didnt handle the port, it was outsource to a Korean company.

as for the saturn grandia, it is japanese only.

Grandia Xtreme is NOT a port and is perfectly fine on PS2. The PS2 version of Grandia 2 is the port you must avoid.

[quote name='Machine']Grandia Xtreme is NOT a port and is perfectly fine on PS2. The PS2 version of Grandia 2 is the port you must avoid.[/quote]

No, it isn't perfectly fine. Compared to Grandia II for the Sega Dreamcast it sucks. It is better than the ported Grandia II for PS2 but not by much. Game Arts did get it right finally with Grandia III though. Go pick that up instead.

The PS2 version of Grandia 2 (and the PC version too) had countless graphical problems. There were lots of grainy, generally awful looking FMVs, graphical corruption, and there were also sound issues. Don't bother with that -- get the Dreamcast version which is the best.

Grandia Xtreme was trash. No legitimate storyline -- it was a dungeon crawler and nothing more. Better to stick with Grandia II and III...

I'm wondering if the original Grandia has held up though and if it's really worth owning today or playing through more than once...

[quote name='SMMM']Grandia II was a near-launch title for PS2, right(which would explain the massive bugs, freezing, and slow-down). Get the DC version if you can.[/QUOTE]
Way off, it came out in 2002.

It got fairly good reviews from critics. It's wasn't a bad game, just compared to the original it was.

I have the PS2 version of Grandia 2. The game was good enough that I could suffer through the problems, but if the Dreamcast version is a viable option for you it's definitely the way to go.

heh, some of the graphics glitches were pretty amusing. Often in battle the texturing for one of my characters would completely vanish. There'd be a white, humanoid mass of polygons slashing away at the enemies...like the T-1000 had come to join my party.

Get the DC version and use a VGA box to play it with. It looks fantastic. I don't like RPGs but I really enjoyed Grandia 2.

[quote name='Kaijufan']The PC version is fine right? I picked it up a year or two ago but I haven't played it yet.[/QUOTE]

No, it's not. I had the PC version and I saw the same graphical issues and heard the same sound issues that the PS2 version had. The only way to go is Dreamcast.

bread's done
Back