Graphics Card Died - Need Assistance

soccerstud652

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
I have a desktop PC that ran a Radeon 9600XT 128MB AGB card. When I turned on my PC, the screen wasn't receiving any input. I opened the PC, and it seems the fan on the graphics card has stopped working. It looks as if it has died.

The PC has a stock graphics chip integrated in the motherboard -- how can I boot from this input instead of the Radeon? I tried switching the monitor plug from the Radeon into the original plug, but there is still no video.

Is there a way to get the PC to recognize I want to use the old graphics chip from booting up?

Also -- I see these cards are cheap to buy -- if I buy a new one and put it in the old cards slot -- should it just run normal again?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Pull the old card from the box. You may also have to change a BIOS setting but pulling the card should do it.

Edit:
As far as getting a new card, I have a hard time recommending getting a new card if you are using AGP. It's pretty old tech at this point. If your rig is old enough for AGP it may only be a matter if time before you have something else fail. I'd start saving your pennies for a new one. Way better ROI. If you absolutely must replace the old card I wouldn't spend more than $50 on anything. As far as compatibility goes I can't really speak to that part.
Good luck!

if you look at the silver battery usually in the bottom right of your mobo, there is a jumper switch right next to it. There are three pins... two of which are covered, if you move the jumper to cover the one pin that is currently uncovered for a second, then move it back it resets your bios settings.

in other words it enables on board video by default.

[quote name='soccerstud652']I meant getting the exact same card as the one I had, just so I don't have to reinstall drivers and such.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to get the exact same card, you would just need an ATi/AMD card. That said, installing graphics card drivers is as simple as going to a website, selecting your card from a drop down menu, and downloading the drivers. You don't have to have them installed before you put the card in the computer.

That card was a pretty decent card in its prime. I got one on BF 10 years ago.

Edit: Did you reboot the computer after you switched from the dead card to the mobo video input?

Sorry my friend it really is time for a new computer. You could try to remove your cmos battery, but I feel that your mobo may be fried as well. Good luck

I tried installing a new graphics card (same model as the old one). The fan on the graphics card is working now, but there is still no video output. The indicator light on the computer is solid yellow from the second I hit the power button.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again for all suggestions / help.

I hate to be a dick but re-read my post. Remove ur dead graphics card and reset the bios, heck u can probably reset the bios by hitting the f2 key at first boot waiting a minute then hitting f9 then f10 and enter key without even seeing what ur doing. Ur problem is ur onboard video is disabled in the bios nothing more. It probably disables by default with a card plugged In tho. No one else seems to have a clue here. This was types laboriously on my iphone

bread's done
Back