great game, bad ending

tehweezner

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
why is it that some game makers just ream you on the ending for otherwise great games? two examples:

Bioshock. I just finished this...Seriously? after all that gameplay, story and voiceovers they end it with a short, confusing, nothing ending? and i did see the "good" ending and it wasn't any better.

another one from a while ago:

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. Amazing game, 40 hrs of gameplay, great story, very cool dialogue, one of funnest games i've played, etc. .. and your reward after all that is a brief, cookie cutter, you beat the game!.. this was a traumatic and infuriating experience

it's just so disappointing to see good games end like this. i really hope devs put more effort to resolve the storyline instead of just cutting it off... gah i'm depressed :wall:

I'm guessing that you want us to add our most disappointing endings?

Mirror's Edge..

I wasn't so much as disappointed at the ending as much as I was the final boss. You have me fight insane ninjas and tons of guards, but for the final boss, I run at his helicopter and jump onto the railing? That's it? Seriously? No insane obstacle course like the subway tunnels where you're on the train, no pulse-pounding bullet riddled runs through corridors? Just.. run and jump on the rail? Really?

metal gear solid 2 and 4. bigtime letdown. oh yeah and KH2.......i hate that game with a passion that comes from a full price first day purchase. but on the flipside both gow games had awesome endings that left you wanting for more. oh yeah and gta 4 very bad ending and the overall game was kinda limp too.

KotOR's a great example (with Sith Lords being an even better example of "mediocre-to-good game, abysmal ending").

Wasn't big on the ending of Half-Life 2 but that was 'cause it was just too damn same-y for me. Opposing Force had that too, albeit to a lesser extent. The Metroids have never really had strong endings either. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn had major ending problems, to the point where I want a sequel just to make up for the weak-as-shit ending. And while not necessarily bad, the ending of Monkey Island 2 confuses even Strell.

Note that some of those games (HL2, Metroid Prime 3) still have excellent endgames, just bad endings.

Valve, get on bringing Shephard back for Episode 3, dammit.

Valve, get on Episode fucking 3!

Metroid Fusion had a great ending, other than that the Metroid endings aren't anything special.

And yeah, I definitely agree about Bioshock, not just the ending, but the last parts of the game were very meh. Oh well.

Trying to remember Fusion's ending. Was it just the
Adam is alive
stuff? If so, that and Prime 3 are probably the best endings in the series, but still nothing amazing.

[quote name='The Crotch']Trying to remember Fusion's ending. Was it just the
Adam is alive
stuff? If so, that and Prime 3 are probably the best endings in the series, but still nothing amazing.[/QUOTE]

I just like that Fusion actually had a story and yeah, it was
That he was alive, I also liked when the Samus clone came and saved Samus from that Metroid at the end.

My favorite Metroid easily, probably because it had a story.

Retro did some pretty damn good things for the Metroid story, though this is coming from someone who genuinely likes using the scan visor on every god damn computer screen in a room. I'd love to see a game based on the Bryyo civil war.

[quote name='Chase']I yawned during the Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones ending.[/QUOTE]

I hated that ending. I was expecting some awesome thing where the Prince becomes King and gets together with Farah, but nooooooooooooooooooooo.

God of War II. At least Gears of War 2 made me feel like I finished a complete game, the ending to God of War II felt like I've really been wasting my whole time or just played an overly long demo. Since really, nothing is accomplished and instead only makes things make less sense.

[quote name='whoknows']I hated that ending. I was expecting some awesome thing where the Prince becomes King and gets together with Farah, but nooooooooooooooooooooo.[/quote]

Come, and I will tell you a tale of one of the most sterile, unexciting endings in all video games.

:whistle2:#

Far Cry has the absolute worst ending I have ever seen. It was fun up until the very end, and then there are 3 huge, ridiculous, nearly impossible fights in a row with about 5 plot twists that make absolutely no sense. I wish I would have quit instead of dying at least 20 times on each fight just to watch a 2 second piece of crap ending cinematic.

I agree with Bioshock's ending being pretty... shockingly bad. I received the "bad" ending, but still... a poor rendered cutscene and then boom, back to the main menu? Where are the credits at least?

oh yeah the biggest shit ending of all Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess. if youve seen it you know what i mean. not to mention the lat 1/4 of that game felt tacked on to stretch things out more. and alot of the weapons really didnt have any real use.

[quote name='lokizz']oh yeah the biggest shit ending of all Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess. if youve seen it you know what i mean. not to mention the lat 1/4 of that game felt tacked on to stretch things out more. and alot of the weapons really didnt have any real use.[/quote]
I thought the ending was fine...

As for me I'll say Fallout 3. But what I hated wasn't the ending itself(I think thought it was decent) it was the lack of endings. While I never brought the "500 endings" BS, I did expect more than 4-5 endings(which are really just slight variations of each other).

Anyone ever play Serious Sam: The First Encounter?

It pans out on a huge Independence Day-style spaceship for what seems like ten minutes, and then slaps "To Be Continued..." on the screen.

[quote name='eswat']Gears of War 2, BioShock, Indigo Prophecy... many many more.[/QUOTE]

oh god indigo prophecy.

grandma is the internet.

How about endings that the developers put tons of effort in to but they were still absolutely terrible? If that category counts, I would like to add Metal Gear Solid 2.

Fallout 3 kinda falls under this, I hate to say..

Not bad, but too brief, and too sudden. Not epic enough for such a great and huge game.

[quote name='lokizz']oh yeah the biggest shit ending of all Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess.[/quote]Yeah, I can't say I know what you're talking about. It's hardly groundbreaking, but compared to something like KotOR, it's the fucking Sixth Sense.

[quote name='grendel19']I agree with Bioshock's ending being pretty... shockingly bad. I received the "bad" ending, but still... a poor rendered cutscene and then boom, back to the main menu? Where are the credits at least?[/quote]

Bioshock's final boss fight sucked - it was just so out of place. The good ending, however, was really, really good, IMO.

Good game, horrible ending? Castlevania (NES). Of course most 8-bit games had horrible endings but I remember Castlevania pissing me off after all of that work.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']Bioshock's final boss fight sucked - it was just so out of place. The good ending, however, was really, really good, IMO.[/quote]
Both endings were pretty bad(but atleast the bad ending provided some laughs). They felt like they were added on the last minute.

Yeah, I think the list of NES games with good endings would be a helluva lot longer than the list of games with bad endings. Same for Genesis and SNES, albeit to a lesser extent.

[quote name='willardhaven']Final Fantasy IX. Best game in the series, worst ending.[/quote]

i don't remember how IX ends but FF games deliver as far as endings go.

what i'm talking about isn't the plot but just the content after beating it, like cutscenes. it doesn't have to be a "happy" ending or anything, i just want some closure :oldman:

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']Bioshock's final boss fight sucked - it was just so out of place. The good ending, however, was really, really good, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Bioshock's good ending is probably one of my favorite video game endings ever.

Agreed on BioShock's weak final boss fight and good ending (the bad ending was really bad though).

I have to say that since we've had serious endings (ignoring most games before the SNES era), that Halo 2 has been the most disappointing in the past decade. It wasn't really an ending as much as it was an announcement to "buy Halo 3 so you know what happens at the end of Halo 2!". Halo 3 wasn't as good of a game but the ending was a bit better- still disappointing overall though.

BTW, I'm only considering single player mode of the games- this has nothing to do with the multiplayer.

[quote name='mang9432']oh god indigo prophecy.

grandma is the internet.[/QUOTE]
2fahrenheitbysplitsoulcq8.jpg

Halo 2.
I kinda/sorta understand why... but damn that was depressing of an ending.
Halo 3 redeemed itself on the legendary ending, but other then that wasn't too much better.

God, why couldn't they evolve from Halo 1, story line wise? fucking abomination after the first game. Multi player wise much better but It's like they didn't care about SP anymore.

[quote name='willardhaven']Final Fantasy IX. Best game in the series, worst ending.[/quote]

I'm at opposites with you, although I feel that X was the worst game in the series, IX is my least second rated, although it was still pretty good and the ending at least provided some closure unlike VII.

[quote name='BigD63']Shadow of the Colossus's ending was too depressing, I prefer happy endings.[/quote]

Also feel the opposite here. I love endings that can get to you and make you feel for it and Colossus's ending did that.

[quote name='BigD63']Shadow of the Colossus's ending was too depressing, I prefer happy endings.[/quote]

[quote name='Indignate']
Also feel the opposite here. I love endings that can get to you and make you feel for it and Colossus's ending did that.[/quote]

I'll have to agree that the ending of SotC is excellent, it's depressing but the good kind of depressing.

It sorta felt like Gears 2's story ended with the conclusion of Dom's subplot, which was pretty well done.

[quote name='heavyd853']It sorta felt like Gears 2's story ended with the conclusion of Dom's subplot, which was pretty well done.[/quote]

in that aspect it worked, but the overall war still didn't seem to have a minor conclusion that even the first game had.

yeah but considering what all you go through in the game it fits. and ill say it again sotc is what zelda should have evolved to be but probably never will. damn i love that game sucks that ico is so damn hard to find.

You crazy kids are so spoiled. Endings? What endings? You should be happy to get anything no matter how crappy. Back in my day we had to walk 10 miles barefoot uphill in the snow to get to the local arcade and what did we get for saving the girl from Donkey Kong? We got to do it all over again!

bread's done
Back