Greatest Comeback Games

leveskikesko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Inevitably most series turn stale after a few sequels, however, every once in awhile there is that title that restores our love for a favorite series or franchise.

I liked Tomb Raider, but the stiff controls really kept me from enjoying the game to fullest extent as the years passed. Legend really fixed all my complaints of the series, and made it even more exciting than ever.

With Galaxy, it was the first Mario game since 3 that I enjoyed without barely any major complaints. Sunshine was fun, but like 64 I don't think it quite measured up to its 2D siblings. Galaxy was the first new 3D Mario game to capture that magic for me.

So I named the two of the most popular ones, what does CAG think?

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is a great example, and one of my favorite games of the last generation. Without that game, I think the series would have been lost.

Xenosaga 3. After the disappointment of Xenosaga 2, X3 is one of the best RPG this generation.

I dont see how Sands of Time or Mario Galaxy are a good examples. Even without Sands of Time, the 2D PoP are still very good and worth playing. Sunshine isnt the greatest game but it is still an above average game and better than most 3D games

[quote name='62t']Xenosaga 3. After the disappointment of Xenosaga 2, X3 is one of the best RPG this generation.

I dont see how Sands of Time or Mario Galaxy are a good examples. Even without Sands of Time, the 2D PoP are still very good and worth playing. Sunshine isnt the greatest game but it is still an above average game and better than most 3D games[/quote]

Who's saying the 2D PoP's weren't worth playing? I like them on the same level as SoT, but I don't think there really was a PoP title until SoT that really innovated the series properly. Remember PoP 3D?....Not bad, but not exactly what you call a comeback.

As for Sunshine, I agree with everything you say. The thing is when you compare it to other Mario games it doesn't measure up. Great for a game, but great for Mario? NO.

mgs for the ps1 was a great sequel to the nes games. and more than made up for the shitty nes sequel but man all the games after mgs1 were just horrible in diff ways mainly cutscenes.

tomb raider anniversary was a great tomb raider games and i hear legends was a worthy new entry after all the shit ones before it.

i think an easier question to awnser is what sequel killed your love of a franchise. my number 1 choice would be kingdom hearts 2. i loathe that game with a passion.

I'm struggling to think of anything where I've gotten sick of a series and a had a game revive it for me (or bring it back from the dead after a long absence.

I wouldn't agree with Galaxy, the 3D Mario's just don't do it for me compared to the 2D ones and I didn't enjoy Galaxy much more than 64 or Sunshine.

PoP Sands of Time is a good one I guess, though I never played the old 2D ones. It did revive a dead franchise.

Resident Evil 4 is one I could list I guess, though I wasn't as huge on it as others it did make the series playable for me.

[quote name='62t']
I dont see how Sands of Time or Mario Galaxy are a good examples. Even without Sands of Time, the 2D PoP are still very good and worth playing. [/quote]Sands of Time is perhaps the best example of this, unless someone made an awesome 3D Sonic while I wasn't looking.
They didn't.
If you wanna say "the games before Sands of Time were all good" then that just goes to show how bad ol' Prince of Persia 3D really was.

Galaxy is a lesser example but still somewhat valid. Sunshine was lacking in a few ways that Galaxy made up for and then-some.

How 'bout Super Metroid? Metroid II was pretty shit and then along comes one of the best games ever?

[quote name='The Crotch']Sands of Time is perhaps the best example of this, unless someone made an awesome 3D Sonic while I wasn't looking.
They didn't.
If you wanna say "the games before Sands of Time were all good" then that just goes to show how bad ol' Prince of Persia 3D really was.

Galaxy is a lesser example but still somewhat valid. Sunshine was lacking in a few ways that Galaxy made up for and then-some.

How 'bout Super Metroid? Metroid II was pretty shit and then along comes one of the best games ever?[/quote]

Sonic Adventure was and in my opinion still is amazing though. I played it not too long ago and got an amazing thrill unlike anything else in games. Keep in mind when say this I'm talking about the Sonic and Shadow stages for the most part.

I don't get how the game went from loved to hated within the last couple of years.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Sonic Adventure was and in my opinion still is amazing though. I played it not too long ago and got an amazing thrill unlike anything else in games. Keep in mind when say this I'm talking about the Sonic and Shadow stages for the most part.

I don't get how the game went from loved to hated within the last couple of years.[/quote]
1: I think Shadow was only in SA2.
2: I liked 'em too. I was even cool with the Knuckles bits for the most part. I think the newer games have actually made the Adventures appear worse in the eyes of many as that is where they think those games started really going down-hill.

I though Sonic Adventure was just ok, but I've never much liked the Sonic series. Struggling to like Sonic Rush currently.

[quote name='sleepy180']I'm still waiting for Sonic and Dynasty Warriors to have their comeback.

I STILL BELEIVE DAMNIT!![/quote]
Toss in a new Tenchu and I'm there with you; I still get giddy when I hear of a new Tenchu game ... then I get severely disappointed when it comes out. A sequel to take the Turok series back to Turok 2 would be welcomed as well.

[quote name='The Crotch']1: I think Shadow was only in SA2.
2: I liked 'em too. I was even cool with the Knuckles bits for the most part. I think the newer games have actually made the Adventures appear worse in the eyes of many as that is where they think those games started really going down-hill.[/quote]

1. Oh I know, and you're right. I just forgot to specify that I was talking about Sonic Adventure 2 partly.

2. I agree. I hate the new Sonic games as much as the next guy, but still have a good love for Adventure. Though I'd be outright lying if I told you Unleashed was a stinker because I have yet to play it, and honestly based on videos I could see myself either hating or loving it....probably hating it.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Toss in a new Tenchu and I'm there with you; I still get giddy when I hear of a new Tenchu game ... then I get severely disappointed when it comes out. A sequel to take the Turok series back to Turok 2 would be welcomed as well.[/quote]

yeah im still waiting for a new tenchu too. tenchu 1 was awesome on so many levels and 2 was better in ways but taking out the stage music was a dumb idea. the 1st ps2 1 was cool but that second one was horrible. thats one game that could have a long life with mulitplayer and co-op. they just need to figure out a way to alow for stealth and well as deep fighting and not that same old stuff ( slice slice slice slice pause, slice slice slice slice, pause).

[quote name='Ryuukishi']This is bound to be contentious, but for me, Final Fantasy X made up for the disappointments of VIII and IX.[/quote]

Another good one. Except replace VIII with VII.

Sorry, I'm in the major minority there. Not much of fan of FF these days, but sometimes I can enjoy them. I really have to be in this specific RPG mood, and of course have a lot of time available...

I dunno if you're in much of a minority there. I can't think of a lot of people around here who really like JRPGs in general or FFVII in particular.

I thought Resident Evil 4 took a series that had grown stagnant and pulled out one of (perhaps the?) best game of the last generation.

Might and Magic VI

I started playing the series at III and loved it. World of Xeen offered hardly any improvements in any category.

Then along came VI. New graphics, excellent music, interesting quests. A truly open world RPG. Plus you got guns at the end :)

Soul Calibur IV made up for the crappy Soul Calibur III.

Super Mario Bros 3 made up for SMB 2 (US)

Link to the Past made up for Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Right on with Galaxy.

I guess the wii would be considered a comeback system...a comeback for Nintendo making loads of $

I think the question is maybe a little confusing here. Are we simply talking about once dead franchises revived by a single title? In that case, I would list Ninja Gaiden (Xbox). The series had been dead for well over a decade at that point.

Are we talking about series that have one off game and then come back with a better sequel? Devil May Cry 3 is a good example of that.

Or are we talking about franchises that seemed entirely dead but then somehow came out of nowhere to have new breath breathed into them? Tomb Raider: Legend is perhaps the best recent example of this. There's far fewer of these than the other categories because, usually, publishers rarely let a franchise get to that point, or bother reviving it if it does. Pac-Man: Championship Edition (is that the title?) is probably a decent example. Who ever thought there would be another good Pac-Man game?

[quote name='Fanboy']I thought Resident Evil 4 took a series that had grown stagnant and pulled out one of (perhaps the?) best game of the last generation.[/QUOTE]

This. I wasn't as sick of Resident Evil as some but even my undying (har har) love for things zombie was getting tired of fucking tank controls. For the first time in a Resident Evil game I felt like someone with at least a bit of common sense and combat training.

bread's done
Back