Greatest Free Meal EVER!

aaa

CAGiversary!
At gradnight, I won a free dinner for two to Ruth Chris Steakhouse. I brought my brother and here is what we got:

Barbebue Shrimp for both us. (Normally cost $18 for each one)

Cesar Salad for both us. (Normally cost $12 for each one)

12 oz. Filet Mingon for both of us ($31 each)

2 Side Dishes ($7 each)

A slice of pie ($7 each)

I am not old enough to legally drink, but my brother got to have a free wine tasting as well, which should of cost around $30, easy.

Would of Cost us $150 plus tax and wine tasting if we actually spent the money. What an awesome meal, and it cannot be beaten for the price. :lol:

[quote name='basketkase543']Damn, that Filer Mignon must've been fantastic. I hope to have some myself in the next couple of weeks. Congrats![/QUOTE]

It is. The stuff melts in your mouth. However, I don't think any entree is worth $30. I've eaten at a lot of fancy restaurants, and it just isn't worth it, unless I can pay for it myself, AND afford to eat those kinds of meals 3 times a week.

Way to go on the free meal. Sounds like a great feast you had. I agree that no entree is worth $30. Heck, I think that the absolute, ABSOLUTE most that I would pay for an entree is $15. But I haven't paid more than $12, I think.

Nicely done.

Filet Minion is the best ever. I used to work in a grocery store as a meat cutter, and would always enjoy cutting T-bones, as a certain part of the meat from the T-Bone is very similar to Filet Minion in texture. Oh was it great putting those out there as cheaper steaks and taking them home when I left. MMM good.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Way to go on the free meal. Sounds like a great feast you had. I agree that no entree is worth $30. Heck, I think that the absolute, ABSOLUTE most that I would pay for an entree is $15. But I haven't paid more than $12, I think.[/QUOTE]

I grew up in New York, so I know good food. Living in Southern California, to get a really good meal, you need to spend a lot of money. In New York, you could walk into a store, get 2 huge slices of pizza and a coke for $6, and it would be the best pizza you have had. Everything here is cheap fastfood chains.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Way to go on the free meal. Sounds like a great feast you had. I agree that no entree is worth $30. Heck, I think that the absolute, ABSOLUTE most that I would pay for an entree is $15. But I haven't paid more than $12, I think.[/QUOTE]

How have you gone your whole life without paying more than 12 bucks? Get a main entree at a thai or japanese place that's 12 bucks or more. Chef's specialties at chinese places usually are 11-13. Main entrees at most italian places are 10-17.

I think the most I ever paid was 20, though I think the most expensive I've had is 30 (though I was younger and my parents paid). My usual limit is 16 unless it's particularly interesting, though I try to keep it in the 12 range.

Nice score.

Simple guy that I am, I myself usually stick with the value menu at Taco Bell, Rally's, and Wendy's when I go out to eat, and that suits me fine. :D

[quote name='BBoyKimChee']you should of order more food and take it home ^^[/QUOTE]

Kim chee is right. With super best joy planning you could have had much more lucky best meal later in day cycle. Power Up!

Nice score though. Ruth Chris's is fantastic, I once went there when I was in San Antonio, I was there on business with a friend of mine and we invited two ladies to join us. Later on that night I banged one of the broads out on the patio of my hotel room over looking the Alamo. Good times. I'll see if I can't find some pics of the broads and or the hotel view tomorrow.

My experience at eateries has only gone from the low-grade to the middle grade. I really haven't had the opportunity to dine at a really upscale place or try really, really exotic cuisines. Hopefully, I'll be able to in the future.

Yeah, it seems like I've never paid more than $12 for an entree. Of course, the total gets higher when you account for beverages or any extras.

Damn, this is making me hungry...

I wonder where I should go eat today. It's my birthday; screw it, I'll moderately spoil myself, if someone else doesn't spoil me first.

If you go again, get the Cowboy Ribeye. It's one of the best steaks they have at RC. Also, the Onion Rings are awesome also.

Happy birthday Saucy go get yourself a fat steak!

I've been wanting to go out and have a nice dinner at a steakhouse for about a month now but never went yet. Everytime i just end up at a chinese buffet instead.;)

Ruth Chris's is good, but they are overpriced for the quality. There are local top-tier steakhouses in the same price range that just obliterate Ruth Chris's when it comes to taste and quality. If anyone is ever in the greater Cleveland/Akron Ohio area and wants a suberb (yet pricey) steak or prime rib.. try Ken Stewart's Lodge.. unbelievable food (but dinner for two with a decent bottle of wine will get you close to the $200 mark).

And it amazes me how many people have never spent large money on a dinner. Granted I tend towards the $10-$14 entree eateries.. but every so often I take my wife or my friends and I go out to a top notch, $25-$75 entree diner. Do you people never go on important dates or just never take dates places other than the Applebees level?

[quote name='Cornfedwb']
And it amazes me how many people have never spent large money on a dinner. Granted I tend towards the $10-$14 entree eateries.. but every so often I take my wife or my friends and I go out to a top notch, $25-$75 entree diner. Do you people never go on important dates or just never take dates places other than the Applebees level?[/QUOTE]

It amazes me too. I just don't think they may be old enough yet to really have the need to.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Ruth Chris's is good, but they are overpriced for the quality. There are local top-tier steakhouses in the same price range that just obliterate Ruth Chris's when it comes to taste and quality. If anyone is ever in the greater Cleveland/Akron Ohio area and wants a suberb (yet pricey) steak or prime rib.. try Ken Stewart's Lodge.. unbelievable food (but dinner for two with a decent bottle of wine will get you close to the $200 mark).

And it amazes me how many people have never spent large money on a dinner. Granted I tend towards the $10-$14 entree eateries.. but every so often I take my wife or my friends and I go out to a top notch, $25-$75 entree diner. Do you people never go on important dates or just never take dates places other than the Applebees level?[/QUOTE]

I try to go to one of Jeff Ruby's restaraunts once a year (he's a pretentious asshole of a restaraunteur, but his steaks are to die for). Although the food is always top notch, I simply can't deal with pretentious, oblivious upper-class types. Some self-important asshole with a $75 cigar that smells a wee bit too much like a Dutch Masters' obnoxiously loud conversation about whatever unimportant Hollywood celebrity he mingled with on the golf course (e.g., Erik Estrada, or Alex Trebek) really puts a damper on the mood. Additionally, my wife doesn't partake in animals (except for fish), so Ruby's joints are out of the question. I must admit that I like the ability to bring your own wine (for a reasonable fee, of course) if you don't care for theirs.

If we choose to spend money on dinner, we'd rather go to the local sushi bar, instead. It's quiet, the fish is fantastic (for the midwest, at any rate), and it's not unnecessarily classy. Although I'll admit that Ruby's steaks are far and above the best I've had, I don't care if you provide window dressing (e.g., sommelier, restroom attendants, white gloves), at the end of the day, it's still a steakhouse for a different kind of asshole than the one that Outback is going for.

To be entirely fair, the classy places have one major, major, major thing going for them: I've never seen a single fucking child in there. I assure you, that makes quite the difference for us.

A great steak for me (filet mignon or prime rib especially) is definitely worth $30. However whether I can afford it is another thing but fortunately I'm in the line of work where sometimes I can benefit from a great free meal now and then.

The most I've ever spent on a meal was $25, for an all-you-can-get Japanese food & sushi buffet (A place called Todai.) The only I went was becuase if it's your birthday, you eat free provided somebody comes with you and buys theirs. And it was a friend's birthday. I don't think I'll be going again anytime soon tho'- I discovered I don't like Sushi, so it's hard to justify $25 for terriyaki chicken and Udon noodles.

I normally just don't eat out, except for a few special occasions- but then it's just a 10 dollar burger at Red Robin or the like. Once a year or so, me and my BF will go to a fancy-ish Japanese place, but the bill never breaks $100. (I couldn't fathom a $75 dollar entree... that's nearly half my paycheck!)

DUDE, how come you brought your brother? You should've brought a female you really wanted to impress. You blew it (LOL)

You're making my mouth water! Nice score!!!

I've never spent more than $12 of my own money on an entree, but I try to drag my parents and relatives to steakhouses and more expensive restaurants whenever I can, hehehehe.

I ate at RC before and I'll probably never go back. We had HORRIBLE service. Took them forever to realize that we needed refills on our drinks. A friend knocked his drink over and he got a refill, almost did the same just cause I was thirsty as hell. They also cooked my steak wrong too!! I wasn't very impressed with the steak either, I've had better at home.

[quote name='aaa']It is. The stuff melts in your mouth. However, I don't think any entree is worth $30. I've eaten at a lot of fancy restaurants, and it just isn't worth it, unless I can pay for it myself, AND afford to eat those kinds of meals 3 times a week.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, $30 for an entree isn't that expensive. Sure I don't think it is worth it either, but I know of plenty of places where it is about $150 an entree.

[quote name='$hady']Happy birthday Saucy go get yourself a fat steak!

I've been wanting to go out and have a nice dinner at a steakhouse for about a month now but never went yet. Everytime i just end up at a chinese buffet instead.;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks! :)

You sound a lot like me. I usually end up getting Chinese for my birthday dinner... not that I'm complaining.

[quote name='Ecofreak']That's a fantastic meal. Although, what did they have in that Caesar Salad that would justify $12? Gold shavings?[/QUOTE]

They raise the ghost of Caesar himself to grate your cheese on top.

Theres a Ruth Chris restaurant in Louisville. I've never been there but the way people talk about it makes it a steaklover's (myself) dream.

Nice. Can't beat that for free. I also can't believe some of you haven't spent more than $15 on an entree at a restaurant. You need to get out more. :) Shit, lunch costs about $10 every day for me in Manhattan and I'm not going anywhere great. A few years back I went to McCormick and Schmidt's in DC for dinner and spent $125 on the appitizer...

Nice! My wife is on the committee at her company that plans their picnics and parties etc and she always gets $100 to expense at any restaurant. Last year we went to Bob's Chophouse (super expensive steak place here in Dallas) and just two days ago we went to Maguire's, where I got an excellent Filet Mignion with Crab Cakes special.

Normally I'm a cheapass but there is definitely something to be said for dressing up and eating an amazing 4 or 5 course meal.

[quote name='Backlash']Nice! My wife is on the committee at her company that plans their picnics and parties etc and she always gets $100 to expense at any restaurant. Last year we went to Bob's Chophouse (super expensive steak place here in Dallas) and just two days ago we went to Maguire's, where I got an excellent Filet Mignion with Crab Cakes special.

Normally I'm a cheapass but there is definitely something to be said for dressing up and eating an amazing 4 or 5 course meal.[/QUOTE]

Amen. Food is the one thing I don't skimp on.

yeah, you know whats awesome, having a dad whos a great chef and own a restaurant. Man i was spoiled as a kid with all the awesome food that i was able to have, no wonder i have only been to a real restaurant 6 times in my life.

[quote name='uuaww']yeah, you know whats awesome, having a dad whos a great chef and own a restaurant. Man i was spoiled as a kid with all the awesome food that i was able to have, no wonder i have only been to a real restaurant 6 times in my life.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know chefs did anything but drink, snort coke and chainsmoke off the clock. Anything is possible, I suppose.

IKIK

RC is definitely a nice classy joint. Glad you enjoyd it and glad you got it for free.

If you're ever in Indianapolis you should try out St. Elmo's steak house. For 2 of us it was about 100$ including tip 'course neither of us got anything stupidly large. The ribeye steak I had was pretty damn good & the filet my date had was amazing (according to her).

Most I've ever spent was about $120 each (Dad and I) at a super expensive restaurant in Kyoto, Japan. Kobe steak is fucking awesome. I need to go back there and have some more.

Personally one of the best i've ever had was @ Outback Steakhouse. Not the most upscale place but damn. My brother works there so i get 50% discounts. I had 12 oz. centercut steak, baked potato and a bowl of creamy potato soup(The best soup ever...). AWESOME.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Kim chee is right. With super best joy planning you could have had much more lucky best meal later in day cycle. Power Up!

Nice score though. Ruth Chris's is fantastic, I once went there when I was in San Antonio, I was there on business with a friend of mine and we invited two ladies to join us. Later on that night I banged one of the broads out on the patio of my hotel room over looking the Alamo. Good times. I'll see if I can't find some pics of the broads and or the hotel view tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

After giving her a $75 meal, I'd expect her to repay the favor.

One of my favorite free meals was lunch at BD Bistro in NYC, I got a burger, this burger
THE ORIGINAL db BURGER
Sirloin Burger Filled
with Braised Short Ribs, Foie Gras
and Black Truffles
Served on a Parmesan Bun
with Pommes Frites
$29.00

I also got this as an app.
YELLOWFIN TUNA TARTARE
with Celery Coulis, Fennel
Pink Radishes and Curry Dressing

I have some nice clients :)

Holy shit, that burger sounds good. Seems like something they would cook up for Iron Chef.

I've only been to Ruth Chris once, and I was in love! It was a meal with a couple of people from my job, and I didn't have to pay, so I was happy. Filet Mignon that was so good that you could cut it with your fork. MMmmmmmm steak....

fuck, I gotta go to a Ruth Chris. Apparently there's one in Columbus. I need to print out directions and go there the day I move in for college. I love steak.

[quote name='Wombat5277']One of my favorite free meals was lunch at BD Bistro in NYC, I got a burger, this burger
THE ORIGINAL db BURGER
Sirloin Burger Filled
with Braised Short Ribs, Foie Gras
and Black Truffles
Served on a Parmesan Bun
with Pommes Frites
$29.00

I also got this as an app.
YELLOWFIN TUNA TARTARE
with Celery Coulis, Fennel
Pink Radishes and Curry Dressing

I have some nice clients :)[/QUOTE]

fuck dude it's the Truffles.

DoK I remember being in Japan and looking at their cuts of Beef and seeing how expensive it was but DAMN did it look red. No fucking discoloration, no nothing. Japanese know beef and I don't think they put up with shit. I don't know if I could put up with paying $150 on a meal though.
Btw aaa with Ruthchris did you mention "your friend Sean Hannity sent you"? ;-P

My biggest food expenditure was a $60 steak at a slightly-upscale restaurant in Minneapolis. I cut the thing with the back of a butter knife--worth every penny.

bread's done
Back