Greatest HITS HATE

[quote name='jalu6']not GH, but still pretty much everywhere for $20 or less.

no red stickers though[/quote]

I think onimusha 2 is GH no?

[quote name='AzianAsspicker'][quote name='jalu6']not GH, but still pretty much everywhere for $20 or less.

no red stickers though[/quote]

I think onimusha 2 is GH no?[/quote]

Never seen one, but I think it sold well enough to be one.

I'm interested too; why the hate for GH? Not just the OP, but an open question.
I can see an exception where they substantially change the game, as I think happened in perhaps two cases. But otherwise, it doesn't make any sense.
If you can get a non-GH for the same price as a GH, okay fine, I don't care.
But if the choice is:
* pay 30-40 bucks for the non-GH
* pay 20 bucks for the GH
* waste lots of time and energy looking for a non-GH for 20 bucks.

to me, option B is a no-brainer. And missing out on good games solely because they're GH is just sad. As is judging a game based on a label on the case or the game; if one is that judgemental, I'd hate to see how they act in real life.

[quote name='dtcarson']I'm interested too; why the hate for GH? Not just the OP, but an open question.
I can see an exception where they substantially change the game, as I think happened in perhaps two cases. But otherwise, it doesn't make any sense.
If you can get a non-GH for the same price as a GH, okay fine, I don't care.
But if the choice is:
* pay 30-40 bucks for the non-GH
* pay 20 bucks for the GH
* waste lots of time and energy looking for a non-GH for 20 bucks.

to me, option B is a no-brainer. And missing out on good games solely because they're GH is just sad. As is judging a game based on a label on the case or the game; if one is that judgemental, I'd hate to see how they act in real life.[/quote]

aesthetically speaking, it's just really freakin' ugly box and disc wise, as well as when you put all your collection together on a shelf. GH really sticks out. I personally wouldn't go for the NON GH in YOUR example. I don't believe non GH is worth twice the amount. But if it's a few bucks or so, then probably.

and yeah, both games are already GH, but plenty of NON GH versions at GH price.

for me a game is a game, if its a GH ok if its not thats ok too, it doesnt really matter for me, id rather take the 20 buck GH than spend more time looking for a non GH that may be more, and if it came down too a choice between a GH and a non GH of the same price it would solely depend on my mood

It's the difference between a collector (Who hates seeing the ugly bright colors on their game shelf) and the gamer (who doesn't even care what his game shelf looks like). Many people are a mix of both.

I really hate the GH packaging too and used games (because lets face it about 99% of the people can't keep their games scratch free). I happily pay about $10 more for a non-gh version, the problem is finding them as I have to buy everything online. Most Ebay sellers and online stores don't specify exactly what version they are selling :(

Check Target. My Target recently set up a budget game cardboard rack with a few cheesy games, but also contains Onimusha 2 (non-GH). And it's only $10.

The only GH packaged games I have are Tekken Tag, Tekken 4, and Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution.

VF I didn't have a choice, though I should have kept the original version and used that case. The tekkens I think I wouldn't even have gotten as GH if I didn't already have VF4 Evo as such.

[quote name='abrannan']It's the difference between a collector (Who hates seeing the ugly bright colors on their game shelf) and the gamer (who doesn't even care what his game shelf looks like). Many people are a mix of both.[/quote]

Meh...if you're willing to waste the time and money just to avoid seeing the GH packaging, feel free to. Personally, I could care less what the packaging looks like.

I still think that collecting games is a hobby that's never going to take off, but that's just me. What's the point of having it if you can't play it? That's no fun...

I have a pretty good sized collection, and I play every game I buy. (Unless I buy duplicates, which are resold later.) I also do not like the different colored GH boxes in my collection. Collecting doesn't have to "take off." Some people, like myself, just like to keep all of their games.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. For a CAG to spend more for a non-GH package is an abomination. A healthy CAG wants everyone to know his collection was assembled for the lowest possible price and doesn't strive to create the illusion he got the game when it was full priced.

Come out of the closet, kids, and admit to the world what you really are.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='abrannan']It's the difference between a collector (Who hates seeing the ugly bright colors on their game shelf) and the gamer (who doesn't even care what his game shelf looks like). Many people are a mix of both.[/quote]

Meh...if you're willing to waste the time and money just to avoid seeing the GH packaging, feel free to. Personally, I could care less what the packaging looks like.

I still think that collecting games is a hobby that's never going to take off, but that's just me. What's the point of having it if you can't play it? That's no fun...[/quote]

Well, collecting video games and video game merchandise is hardly a new hobby. People have been collecting games since the days when video games first appeared. It's just more mainstream now, but collecting games is hardly a new revelation.

The only time I hunted down a non-GH was Kingdom Hearts, only because the GH box is not shiny.

I actually like the Platinum Hits collection. They look weird next to my green cases, but silver is still cool.

Simply put, some people like their packaging to look decent and some dont care as long as they get the game.

I have only 2 GH games in my collection, Crazy Tazi for GC and Need for Speed 2 fo PS2, The Crazi Taxi is only because the yellow of nintendos GH lable blends with the taxi yellow cover but I only except the GH NFS2 because friends kept telling me "man you gotta get this game it's great!" and because I got it for like 5 bucks.

it's truely a hideous change to the cover, it's designed to leap out to people on a shelf and scream "BUY ME I'M CHEAP!" but at home it just says, "you were too slow to buy me when I had a decent looking cover, HAHA!"

I heard Ratchet and Clank 2 and Nightshade just went GH I'll certainly buy the games for 19 bucks, IF I can get the regular covers but if all they have is the GH covers, forget it. I have enough games to play thanks to CAG, so it's not like I'm gonna miss them.

Both are GH, but the intial run (IE the ones with out the red label) has yet tio run out so really a GH copy would be harder to find or as they say, "rarier".

If you have a bunch of GH games together, it actually looks pretty nice. It's just looks ugly when you have one or two sticking out like sore thumbs in the middle of your collection. I have this problem with my GCN, the only game I have that is PC is Metroid Prime... thank God I really didn't get into the game, it makes it a lot easier to let it go (i'll prob. get like $3 on ebay if i'm lucky).

By the way, i'm purposely waiting for FFX-2 to go GH so that it matches my GH FFX.

Edit. To the guy who mentioned getting Nightshade, it's $20 at every Toys R' Us store.

[quote name='abrannan']It's the difference between a collector (Who hates seeing the ugly bright colors on their game shelf) and the gamer (who doesn't even care what his game shelf looks like). Many people are a mix of both.[/quote]
That's why i hate greatest hits and platinum hits

[quote name='Alpha2']I heard Ratchet and Clank 2 and Nightshade just went GH I'll certainly buy the games for 19 bucks.[/quote]

I had Nightshade on order from DVDBoxOffice and they shipped it yesterday, I had no idea it would be GH now.. I really hope I will get the original version, or else it will end up on Ebay :(

My girlfriend pointed out something amusing once about my game collection and the GH titles in it... There seems to be a pattern. I have the original game with the GH cover, and the sequal without. For example, Dark Cloud has the GH cover, and Dark Cloud 2 does not. Devil May Cry is GH, DMC2 is not. Same with Jak and Daxter, Lord of the Rings, Onimusha, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, and soon Mortal Kombat... Funny thing is, I never payed full price for any of those sequels, either... Not reall insightful, but I thought it was kinda interesting.

^^ Well same for me, the problem is that I started buying a lot of PS2 games after some of those already went GH.

I have been trying to track down a original release Mortal Kombat DA, but it is nearly impossible because Ebay sellers don't bother specifying the versions they are selling :(

The problem is the lack of information, we must know about what games are going GH before they do.

[quote name='Alpha2']
it's truely a hideous change to the cover, it's designed to leap out to people on a shelf and scream "BUY ME I'M CHEAP!" but at home it just says, "you were too slow to buy me when I had a decent looking cover, HAHA!"
.[/quote]

If your games talk to you, I think you need to worry about something else!
: )

To me it would "say", Wow, good eye, by waiting a few months playing all the other games you had, you saved 60% of the original cost, and are now able to get 2.5 games for my original sales price.

Anyway, do you keep your games facing out like on the shelves at the store? Mine are in a shelf like a bookcase, and all you can see is the title. If I put all the Gh together, there's a big red chunk all together and they look consistent. But I generally only look over there when I'm looking at the titles to see what I want to play [another issue--I wish all game titles on the spine were easy to read, I've got a few that have wacky colors or fonts and they're hard to read.]

I agree with Gothic_Walrus, I'm interested in playing the games. I do keep them in good shape, but I'm not going to spend 50 bucks on a game just because it has cool packaging, and then never open it/play it.

I think buying or not buying a game based on the packaging, at least based on the GH logo, is even worse than buying a game for graphics over gameplay.

[quote name='BlueWingX']My girlfriend pointed out something amusing once about my game collection and the GH titles in it... There seems to be a pattern. I have the original game with the GH cover, and the sequal without. For example, Dark Cloud has the GH cover, and Dark Cloud 2 does not. Devil May Cry is GH, DMC2 is not. Same with Jak and Daxter, Lord of the Rings, Onimusha, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, and soon Mortal Kombat... Funny thing is, I never payed full price for any of those sequels, either... Not reall insightful, but I thought it was kinda interesting.[/quote]

I have this pattern too with alot of my games. That happened to me cause I just got a PS2 like a year and half ago so I didn't have a choice on DMC, MGS, Smugglers Run, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, etc.

It's just a personal preference. And for the record, just because we collectors hunt down non GH games doesn't mean we paid full price for them. When a game goes GH, I rush to my local K-Mart, show them the price change, and walk out with a non GH game at GH price.

I don't mind GH, but I do prefer to get the original packaging. I do exactly what Rig said. Usually right when a game goes greatest hits, it's very easy to find a non-GH version at $20 ($15 w/ GGC) at BB, CC, or anywhere else. If I get the original version, great. If not, I'll certainly live.

I consider myself a collector and do not like the Greatest Hits either. We have already discussed but I will recap.

It is nice to have something that is:

1) Desirable
2) Valuable
3) Unique

Those three things together make "rare" games very collectible to people and they are proud to own them. They also put a lot of effort into obtaining them. It is disappointing when a company craps all over your collection.

Anyone who owned "complete" FF3, FF2, Chrono Trigger, or FF Tactics knows the feeling. What once was an eye-popping declaration ("Yeah, I've got Chrono Trigger and FF2 and FF3"...everybody in the room is momentarily stunned into silence) is now just a "neat" statement ("Yeah, I've got Chrono Trigger and FF2 and FF3 for snes"..."Oh really? I have the Playstation versions...")

Yeah yeah, you all think you have a "right" to play those games blah blah blah. I have a "right" to desire that those games were true treasures that are extremely difficult to find and highly valued when owned. That's why I don't like Greatest Hits.

Keep your flames to yourself. I'm not trying to tell you how things "ought" to be. The question was: "Why all the hate?" I simply answered.

While I like chosen1s explanation - he doesn't like that the games are no longer hard to find - that's only a minority of the populace at best.

[quote name='scsg75'][quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='abrannan']It's the difference between a collector (Who hates seeing the ugly bright colors on their game shelf) and the gamer (who doesn't even care what his game shelf looks like). Many people are a mix of both.[/quote]

I still think that collecting games is a hobby that's never going to take off, but that's just me. What's the point of having it if you can't play it? That's no fun...[/quote]

Well, collecting video games and video game merchandise is hardly a new hobby. People have been collecting games since the days when video games first appeared. It's just more mainstream now, but collecting games is hardly a new revelation.[/quote]

To be honest, I still don't get understand why "collectors" care about what the game looks like.

If you're buying the game to play it, your collection is never going to have a large financial value. Once a game is opened, the resale price drops like a rock because it's no longer new and mint. Since the value at that point is primarily from playing and enjoying the games, why worry about the box? Will the case really affect your enjoyment of the game?

If it really does, for some inexplicable reason, why not try going to an EB, GameStop, or local store to see if you could trade for (or be given) an empty, non-GH case? The stores in my area don't seem to have a problem with giving you the empty packaging, especially when the game itself is used.

On the other end of the spectrum...why buy games and NOT play them? Because the box art looks pretty? That's a pretty crappy reason, especially when the hobby is so expensive. Why not try something cheaper, like Velvet Elvis paintings or action figures? Hell, I think they still sell Beanie Babies...

Games are made to be played. Why not use them for that?

Feel free to contradict me and prove me wrong...I still have yet to see a good reason for why GH packaging is a bad thing.

[quote name='dtcarson']I think buying or not buying a game based on the packaging, at least based on the GH logo, is even worse than buying a game for graphics over gameplay.[/quote]

Good job - you're now one of my favorite CAGs, and it has nothing to do with saying that you agreed with me. :D

[quote name='epobirs']I've said it before and I'll say it again. For a CAG to spend more for a non-GH package is an abomination. A healthy CAG wants everyone to know his collection was assembled for the lowest possible price and doesn't strive to create the illusion he got the game when it was full priced.

Come out of the closet, kids, and admit to the world what you really are.[/quote]

I prefer the non-GH version of the game. I also don't pay any more money because the game is GH..... If I can't find it without the GH logo, I'll just pick it up for less used.

[quote name='chosen1s']

Yeah yeah, you all think you have a "right" to play those games blah blah blah. I have a "right" to desire that those games were true treasures that are extremely difficult to find and highly valued when owned. That's why I don't like Greatest Hits.
[/quote]

Not flaming, but isn't this a re-release issue rather than a greatest hits issue?

[quote name='chickenhawk'][quote name='chosen1s']

[/quote]

Not flaming, but isn't this a re-release issue rather than a greatest hits issue?[/quote]

Yes,

But all Greatest Hits are re-releases so the issues are tied together.

Then you add in that GH is cosmetically uglier and adds a feeling of cheapness to the game.

[quote name='Scahom1']The only time I hunted down a non-GH was Kingdom Hearts, only because the GH box is not shiny.

I actually like the Platinum Hits collection. They look weird next to my green cases, but silver is still cool.[/quote]

Yeah, I think the Xbox Platinum hits case actually looks better than the Green ones.

I could care less about GH games either was because I only buy for myself. I never sold anything online. Most games that I REALLY want, I don't wait for greatest hits status in the first place. But I have no qualms about GH games.

i'v only bought 1 GH game for PS2 and i thinke i'm ganna get rid of it. i hate the big red bar in the middle of my game collection.

I, too, hate the yellow/red bars of the PC/GH titles. I don't let it stop me from buying a game that I really want, but you'll be damn sure that I'll only buy the rereleased budget line version of a game if I can't find an original anywhere else. Also, I've never payed a higher price for an original version ...

The point to be made here, though, is the fact that Sony's GH line is far worse than Nintendo's PC line. Nintendo only puts a yellow bar on the box art ... Sony does that and puts the red bar on the disc itself.

Strike three, Sony; You're out.

it doesnt matter to me. Im not an avid collector like many are but for the big games that i really like i already own them before gh status because those are the ones staying in my collection. Every now and then ill give a game a shot on gh list. Like rise of honer.

bread's done
Back