GRID shuts online gameplay

Average Gamer

CAGiversary!
I loved GRID by Codemasters.

Tried to get online last night and couldn't.
Google search and found

"After three years of service, 2008's Race Driver: GRID's online play service has been discontinued for the PS3 and PC editions of the game," said Ian Webster of Codemasters in statement on the game's forum. "This follows the decision by a third party provider to decline the offer of an extended contract to continue online play on these platforms."

Wow... big stink. Third party?!? Common....

http://www.thegamerbuzz.com/Xbox-360/codemasters-shuts-down-ps3-pc-grid-online-play/

[quote name='Average Gamer']I loved GRID by Codemasters.

Tried to get online last night and couldn't.
Google search and found

"After three years of service, 2008's Race Driver: GRID's online play service has been discontinued for the PS3 and PC editions of the game," said Ian Webster of Codemasters in statement on the game's forum. "This follows the decision by a third party provider to decline the offer of an extended contract to continue online play on these platforms."

Wow... big stink. Third party?!? Common....

http://www.thegamerbuzz.com/Xbox-360/codemasters-shuts-down-ps3-pc-grid-online-play/[/QUOTE]

Dunno why you're surprised, it happens all the time, and as you mentioned it came out 3 years ago so the online community is probably dead by now, plus the cost of maintaining the servers is more than it's worth for them, be glad they kept it up this long, some games barely get 18 months then they get shut down.

yea, its a shame. From several articles I've read, the community was still active and that the server owners were the one who refused to continue the lease. Its possible I play more of the popular games, hence I never ran across a game being shut down only after 3yrs. Shoot, I'm sure unreal tournament 3 for PS3 is still active. Lol

[quote name='Average Gamer']yea, its a shame. From several articles I've read, the community was still active and that the server owners were the one who refused to continue the lease. Its possible I play more of the popular games, hence I never ran across a game being shut down only after 3yrs. Shoot, I'm sure unreal tournament 3 for PS3 is still active. Lol[/QUOTE]
I think there were some PS2 games that still had severs online until not that long ago.

bread's done
Back