Grim Dawn (Developed by ex Titan Quest Devs) - Kickstarter "pre-order" 18$ (and up)

mrsamsa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Grim Dawn is an upcoming open world action rpg by Crate Entertainment, made up of ex Iron Lore staff, developer of Titan Quest.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

EDIT: Non-kick starts preorder option: http://www.grimdawn.com/contribute_buynow01.php

They've been working on Grim Dawn with no funding other than people pre-ordering copies of the game for 2.5 years. I've been following it for a while and It's something I really want to play. They have tech demos and all kinds of stuff already running, as well as a lot of background. Buy it!

ks_windmill.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, the past Kickstarter threads have been interesting but not enough for me to pull the trigger.. I have a love and hate relationship with Titan Quest so I will pull the trigger with Grim Dawn.

Titan Quest got my fiancée and I through the long distance part of our relationship We've played through it probably 5 times together. I'm pretty excited for this one. Co-op TQ ruled.

new game from the makers of titan quest.. I'd say it's.. kind of a big deal... that and the ability to pre-order the game through the kickstarter at a cheaper price than it will be at retail.. or how about the ability to buy these special limited edition/collector's version of the game... which is considered a deal in this forum even at MSRP.. so yes... the answer is yes.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']new game from the makers of titan quest.. I'd say it's.. kind of a big deal... that and the ability to pre-order the game through the kickstarter at a cheaper price than it will be at retail.. or how about the ability to buy these special limited edition/collector's version of the game... which is considered a deal in this forum even at MSRP.. so yes... the answer is yes.[/QUOTE]

Which is why I was wondering. I did not know it was cheaper to buy now than later.

Yessir, the page states it:

"Digital download of finished game for PC, DRM free at a low price for your early support. Can be downloaded directly from us or via Steam and other distribution sites + Exclusive "Service Medal" in-game accessory, available only on Kickstarter."

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Which is why I was wondering. I did not know it was cheaper to buy now than later.[/QUOTE]

Generally speaking, all of the Kickstarter projects offer the digital copy of the game cheaper to backers than it will be at retail (assuming it gets there). Otherwise, it'd be harder to draw in more neutral backers who aren't diehard fans of a franchise/developer/creator/etc.

Loved Titan Quest, it was actually a pleasure to play a ranged character. I must also say that I will be sorely disappointed if enemies do not fly across the screen after a crit hit in Diablo 3 like they did in Titan Quest. I can't tell you how many times I played through the great wall level hurtling enemies clear off the wall.
In for one pre-order!

Whether it's a deal is up to interpretation, but it looks like it'll be a stellar game and I figured the denizens of CAG that didn't know about it might like to as TQ gets a lot of love when it's on sale.

[quote name='mrsamsa']Whether it's a deal is up to interpretation, but it looks like it'll be a stellar game and I figured the denizens of CAG that didn't know about it might like to as TQ gets a lot of love when it's on sale.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about that man, there's some people on here who have a blood vendetta against posting kickstarters in the deals section. Since you get a discount for supporting the kickstarter vs. the retail, this is a definite deal. Thanks for posting.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Don't worry about that man, there's some people on here who have a blood vendetta against posting kickstarters in the deals section. Since you get a discount for supporting the kickstarter vs. the retail, this is a definite deal. Thanks for posting.[/QUOTE]

Yes but no one has actually received a Kickstarter game and won't for quite some time with the caveat that there is no complete guarantee that they ever will.

While I personally think that most of these will deliver (though I suspect some later than expected) sooner or later someone is going to drop the ball on one of these and it's going to be a huge deal.

At any rate, if there gets to be more and more of these perhaps a separate forum or at least one combined Kickstarter thread is in order? Just a thought since having a unified Steam thread seems to alleviate most of the 'Eww PC!' bitching that there would otherwise be with multiple threads. *shrug*

[quote name='Motoki']Yes but no one has actually received a Kickstarter game and won't for quite some time with the caveat that there is no complete guarantee that they ever will.

While I personally think that most of these will deliver (though I suspect some later than expected) sooner or later someone is going to drop the ball on one of these and it's going to be a huge deal.

At any rate, if there gets to be more and more of these perhaps a separate forum or at least one combined Kickstarter thread is in order? Just a thought since having a unified Steam thread seems to alleviate most of the 'Eww PC!' bitching that there would otherwise be with multiple threads. *shrug*[/QUOTE]

I'm actually with you 100% on the kickstarter thing. I supported a kick starter for a CD and had so many issues. Even though the music was apparently recorded and just needed to be pressed, it took an additional 2-3 months from the time the CD was supposed to be delivered until it actually was. Then I had ordered two different levels and they changed what you got for each level after the fact. So even though I paid for a vinyl version of the album, they decided that was too expensive and only printed a 2 song single in vinyl. So because of the length of time, it is impossible for you to get your money back from Paypal or any payment service usually (CCs included) and in my case the jackasses just said "Sorry, the vinyl version of the album doesn't exist, what do you want us to do." Even with screen caps of the page showing they promised it. SMH. Paypal eventually gave me a courtesy credit for a partial refund, but the whole experience still left me pissed off.

So I don't support any kickstarters now. That said, people post all sorts of random non-deals in this forum like pre orders so I feel if people tolerate one thing, they should tolerate others.

It's just going to take one bad experience to ruin kickstarter. If a company needs extra money or if the project falls apart to ruin the kickstarter hype. I don't want to be pessimistic but I am not a huge fan of the kickstarter way of business. If a game is worth buying, I'll buy it after release. I know the point is to get money generated and pay off the project before a game comes out and that's fine, there are definitely some games I would love to help fund like Final Fantasy 7 with PS3 or PS4 graphics but as far as far as helping out studios who can't fund their game any other way, I'll pass. Double Fine is notorious for being late on their games and although I don't expect it, I wouldn't be surprised if their kickstarter needed a 2nd round of funding. This overall may not be relevant to this thread, but I wanted to get my opinion out which, I have been keeping in for so long.

[quote name='Motoki']Yes but no one has actually received a Kickstarter game and won't for quite some time with the caveat that there is no complete guarantee that they ever will.

At any rate, if there gets to be more and more of these perhaps a separate forum or at least one combined Kickstarter thread is in order? Just a thought since having a unified Steam thread seems to alleviate most of the 'Eww PC!' bitching that there would otherwise be with multiple threads. *shrug*[/QUOTE]
Technically there already IS a combined thread for them under the General Gaming & Industry News section:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319573

As for me, if there were some sort of guarantee that if the people developing the games didn't come through with what I had paid in to receive(a copy of the game, of course) that I could be refunded anything I chipped in, then I might consider some of these myself.

Then again, they'd have to be on the PS3, since that's ONLY gaming platform I play games on as of now(unless Bejeweled on Google Chrome counts on PC:booty:) and the only one I'd care about having a game developed for since I am of the 'eww PC' mindset.;)

Moreover, the game once developed would have to be pressed on an actual physical format disc with real/full coverart and manual and not some chintzy digital download crap.;) What can I say? I'm a hard gamer to please.

[quote name='bykfiend42']It seems like Kickstarter projects don't list physical copies until the $100 range, and that's if they even offer a physical copy. I'm not really the digital download type so I can't get too excited about the $100 games coming out.[/QUOTE]

Often, and in this case, they don't offer a physical till higher tiers version because they are self publishing and have to pays all the costs associated with physical packaging themselves.

Grim Dawn also has a non-kickstarter preorder. I'll link it in the OP.

Looks like some interesting options to choose from.

I purchased the Legendary Fan Edition from their website in Jan of 2010 though. :)

Maybe I will have to throw some more money at them for another copy for a friend. :)

I really wish they had a Mac version coming out. They do mention it's a slim possibility *if* they greatly exceed their goals... around 1.5 mil or so. I'll back them, so here's hoping.

[quote name='Thechaosdivision']It's just going to take one bad experience to ruin kickstarter. If a company needs extra money or if the project falls apart to ruin the kickstarter hype. I don't want to be pessimistic but I am not a huge fan of the kickstarter way of business. If a game is worth buying, I'll buy it after release. I know the point is to get money generated and pay off the project before a game comes out and that's fine, there are definitely some games I would love to help fund like Final Fantasy 7 with PS3 or PS4 graphics but as far as far as helping out studios who can't fund their game any other way, I'll pass. Double Fine is notorious for being late on their games and although I don't expect it, I wouldn't be surprised if their kickstarter needed a 2nd round of funding. This overall may not be relevant to this thread, but I wanted to get my opinion out which, I have been keeping in for so long.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why you'd say that with Double Fine, when they got far more money than they expected.

I'll say this: supporting Kickstarters aren't for everyone. There is the risk that the end product might not work out to your satisfaction. If you are risk-adverse and only want to buy games when you can judge they are good, then it probably isn't for you. But, for those who want to support the type of games they want that wouldn't otherwise get made, it is a good way to put your money where your mouth is.

Currently I'm supporting three video game projects, Double Fine, Wasteland 2 and The Banner Saga. I don't know if any of them will be any good, but I'm supporting the games I'd like to play.

The advantage this project has over many of the others is that they actually have a game they can show. They need the extra money to put them over the hump and put out a polished game.

BTW, did write up a Kickstarter blog post last week.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=23910

[quote name='TheLongshot']I'm not sure why you'd say that with Double Fine, when they got far more money than they expected.

I'll say this: supporting Kickstarters aren't for everyone. There is the risk that the end product might not work out to your satisfaction. If you are risk-adverse and only want to buy games when you can judge they are good, then it probably isn't for you. But, for those who want to support the type of games they want that wouldn't otherwise get made, it is a good way to put your money where your mouth is.

Currently I'm supporting three video game projects, Double Fine, Wasteland 2 and The Banner Saga. I don't know if any of them will be any good, but I'm supporting the games I'd like to play.

The advantage this project has over many of the others is that they actually have a game they can show. They need the extra money to put them over the hump and put out a polished game.

BTW, did write up a Kickstarter blog post last week.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=23910[/QUOTE]

Totally on point. I'd also add that these guys have a good pedigree to draw from. People get Diablo, TQ was diablo, but way pretty in mythology, this is expanding on that and giving it a new setting with a more open world. I get what they're selling and I want to buy it.

I would say this isn't a deal. A new game from Titan Quest developers? Congratulations, you all made a buggy diablo clone. Want a cookie?

Do they have enough business smarts on their team to budget intelligently and make all this happen or are they betting on magic fairy dust with all that sweet sweet kick starter money?

Not to rag on these guys specifically. I cancelled my Wasteland pledge because it smelt of so much snake oil to me. More money does not directly coordinate to new features unless you are slipping schedule and NO WAY are you going to announce that while you are raising money. So you are bullshitting right out the gate. At least Doublefine made it clear you're all pitching in for the world's most expensive Telltale Adventure episode. Scope was small from the beginning.

Yes, you can invest in the idea of a game you want to play, but that's worth jack and squat. If a Kickstarter rolled out for Operation Raccoon City with nothing but earliest concept art, wouldn't it sound tantalizing? Revisit RE1-3 from Hunk, Umbrella, and Ada's POV? You would have none of the evidence you do now that it would be a turd and no recourse when it becomes a turd.

Hate on publishers all you want but institutions like that simply do not evolve that way without SOME justification

[quote name='Rsmobile']I would say this isn't a deal. A new game from Titan Quest developers? Congratulations, you all made a buggy diablo clone. Want a cookie?

Do they have enough business smarts on their team to budget intelligently and make all this happen or are they betting on magic fairy dust with all that sweet sweet kick starter money?

Not to rag on these guys specifically. I cancelled my Wasteland pledge because it smelt of so much snake oil to me. More money does not directly coordinate to new features unless you are slipping schedule and NO WAY are you going to announce that while you are raising money. So you are bullshitting right out the gate. At least Doublefine made it clear you're all pitching in for the world's most expensive Telltale Adventure episode. Scope was small from the beginning.

Yes, you can invest in the idea of a game you want to play, but that's worth jack and squat. If a Kickstarter rolled out for Operation Raccoon City with nothing but earliest concept art, wouldn't it sound tantalizing? Revisit RE1-3 from Hunk, Umbrella, and Ada's POV? You would have none of the evidence you do now that it would be a turd and no recourse when it becomes a turd.

Hate on publishers all you want but institutions like that simply do not evolve that way without SOME justification[/QUOTE]

I agree totally, but I don't think that applies to Grim Dawn. It's got a solid tech demo and lots of development behind it, It's not being kickstarted, so much as kick-helped-to-completion-faster-than-whenever-they-have-time-between-regular-work-and-sleep.

I'll freely admit I had not looked too deep on the page in question and was just blabbing. Having a tech demo is more than most kickstarters can promise.

[quote name='Rsmobile']I'll freely admit I had not looked too deep on the page in question and was just blabbing. Having a tech demo is more than most kickstarters can promise.[/QUOTE]

Totally, one of the reasons I'm jazzed for this one. It was a project with support before, it just didn't have enough to make progress and much of a rate.

I wasn't overly impressed with Titan Quest (+expansion). Overall I thought it was a fairly 'soulless' experience consisting of running from one massive open area to another killing hordes of monsters. Yes, it's an ARPG but I still prefer a hint of story, exploration, factions, towns, etc. and Titan Quest just didn't do any of that right. It's good to see they seem to be addressing that in Grim Dawn but given the fact there is no shortage of ARPGs coming out and this is probably 18 months to two years a way I'll just wait and see how it turns out.

[quote name='mrsamsa']Often, and in this case, they don't offer a physical till higher tiers version because they are self publishing and have to pays all the costs associated with physical packaging themselves.

Grim Dawn also has a non-kickstarter preorder. I'll link it in the OP.[/QUOTE]
That's the thing though. How much would it really cost them to use a standard CD/DVD/Blu-Ray burner and slap a label on top of that, then make up a reasonably nice looking coverart and manual?

I wouldn't care if it was shrinkwrapped/sealed so much, but not giving people the option for a physical version unless they're willing to fork over $100+ seems a bit outrageous just to get a physical copy of the game.

Many of these projects seem to be moving along at a snails' pace too. If I'm investing in a project/product I'd likely be demanding to see what sort of progress has been made recently.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

Many of these projects seem to be moving along at a snails' pace too. If I'm investing in a project/product I'd likely be demanding to see what sort of progress has been made recently.[/QUOTE]

It's not really investing, though; you aren't getting anything on the other end other than what is promised on the page. It's more of a fundraiser, and how often do you get progress reports on that?

The kickstarter phenomenon was cool at first but now it's starting to get a bit ridiculous. Like all the devs realized they could beg online to make that game they have wanted to make. That's great, but it just comes off to me as cyber-begging.

It used to be that if you wanted to self-publish you would use your own money and do your everything you could to make sure that game was amazing and a hit so you can recoup your costs. Now though they aren't even using their own money, so honestly, what incentive do they have to try extremely hard to make it really good. They can make it mediocre and it won't matter because they already got all their money back for it and they aren't backwards like they are when they self-publish. This could start churning out sloppy slip-shod games IMO.

While all this kick starter discussion is certainly relevant, it's not directly relevant to Grim Dawn. If you don't want to support it, then don't. A bunch of us are pretty excited about it, and more than other kickstarters because these guys have a lot already developed.

[quote name='dmdragon']The kickstarter phenomenon was cool at first but now it's starting to get a bit ridiculous. Like all the devs realized they could beg online to make that game they have wanted to make. That's great, but it just comes off to me as cyber-begging.

It used to be that if you wanted to self-publish you would use your own money and do your everything you could to make sure that game was amazing and a hit so you can recoup your costs. Now though they aren't even using their own money, so honestly, what incentive do they have to try extremely hard to make it really good. They can make it mediocre and it won't matter because they already got all their money back for it and they aren't backwards like they are when they self-publish. This could start churning out sloppy slip-shod games IMO.[/QUOTE]

The irony that you are posting this for this Kickstarter is high. If you've read what they have done, they've been working on this on their own for two years. They are looking for funding to finish it off and polish it up.

I think all those who say that "they should use their own money" should look at their own resources (both time, money and what they are capable of) and ask themselves if they'd be capable of putting resources together on their own to develop a game. My guess it would be tough for most people. You can point to the indie scene, but while there are some nifty ideas there, no one would mistake it for AAA titles.

Fact is, many of these small game companies depend on outside money, either from publishers and investors, to make their games. Often, these people have a large say in what kind of game they can develop, and can decide the fate. Kickstarter gives the developer creative freedom, since that's what we are paying them for when we contribute to Kickstarter.

As I said before, no one is required to contribute. If you don't feel comfortable contributing money to such a thing, no one is saying you should.

[quote name='TheLongshot']The irony that you are posting this for this Kickstarter is high. If you've read what they have done, they've been working on this on their own for two years. They are looking for funding to finish it off and polish it up.

I think all those who say that "they should use their own money" should look at their own resources (both time, money and what they are capable of) and ask themselves if they'd be capable of putting resources together on their own to develop a game. My guess it would be tough for most people. You can point to the indie scene, but while there are some nifty ideas there, no one would mistake it for AAA titles.

Fact is, many of these small game companies depend on outside money, either from publishers and investors, to make their games. Often, these people have a large say in what kind of game they can develop, and can decide the fate. Kickstarter gives the developer creative freedom, since that's what we are paying them for when we contribute to Kickstarter.

As I said before, no one is required to contribute. If you don't feel comfortable contributing money to such a thing, no one is saying you should.[/QUOTE]

You're right, and I do apologize. I did not fully read their KS page before that post and after doing so then I will say they are the exception to the rule. They have already shed their money into the game and said that even if they don't hit their goal they will still make it. My issue is mostly with the developers that say "We'll make it IF we get the money to support it". It doesn't really give them any reason to put out a really good product as they have nothing to lose if it's not that good.

This being the exception to the rule, I loved Titans Quest and will donate 18 bucks when I have a bit of extra money. The fact that they put so much of their own into this already shows me their dedication and they deserve it since they aren't relying on us, they are just asking for help to finish it quicker and of course to eat while they develop the game they are going to develop with or without our help.

[quote name='dmdragon']This being the exception to the rule, I loved Titans Quest and will donate 18 bucks when I have a bit of extra money. The fact that they put so much of their own into this already shows me their dedication and they deserve it since they aren't relying on us, they are just asking for help to finish it quicker and of course to eat while they develop the game they are going to develop with or without our help.[/QUOTE]

Exactly why I want to support this kickstarter over others. I think they're doing it right.

[quote name='bykfiend42']It seems like Kickstarter projects don't list physical copies until the $100 range, and that's if they even offer a physical copy. I'm not really the digital download type so I can't get too excited about the $100 games coming out.[/QUOTE]

Wastleland 2 is $50 for physical, bro.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']It's not really investing, though; you aren't getting anything on the other end other than what is promised on the page. It's more of a fundraiser, and how often do you get progress reports on that?[/QUOTE]
After seeing where the money was going in some cases from fundraising drives from some charities(big salaries for the people running them) I stopped donating to such things unless there was some true accountability.

That's what would have to happen for me to contribute to one of these game projects. Either that or as I said before, some sort of guarantee of a refund if the project was just abandoned or stalled.

While I do admire these developers for trying to make games that they feel may be desired by gamers, the lack of transparency, progress reports and most importantly letting ALL people who contributed money to fund their pet project have some sort of input on things they would like to see in said project is what's steering me away from giving any of them one dime.

Actually a bigger factor is how many of them are digital download only and in order to get a physical copy with some you have to contribute as much as if not over the current MSRP for most games($50-60).

so hard for me to decide if im going to pledge to this or not. main reason ill prolly not touch it at all with diablo 3 coming next week too.

[quote name='gauu']so hard for me to decide if im going to pledge to this or not. main reason ill prolly not touch it at all with diablo 3 coming next week too.[/QUOTE]

Considering the game is estimated about a year from now you might be bored of D3 by that time. I am excited for D3 as well but the beta was a bit underwhelming so I am not sure about its staying power.

The game screenshot does look good. I am interested, although I've contributed to like 6 kickstarters over the past few months. Thinking I should wait...hmm.

bread's done
Back