Grim Fandango

hawkhogan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
Any Grim Fandango fans here in the house? :)

I just got re-hooked back on the game after years of not having played it. My god, even in software mode graphics (due to my videocard not processing the game's Direct 3d mode accurately); i still manage to get immersed into the world of GF. Really love the soundtrack too! :D

What's even more surprising is, even though this game has managed to quite obtain a nice following of fans throughout the years, it's still not seen a sequel.

I never played it, and probably won't unless they rerelease it in a compilation of sorts. Maybe a "Tim Schaeffer Classics Collection" or something. Used copies are too expensive for my blood right now.

[quote name='dragonsho']I love this game. I dunno why but I never got around to finishing it. I want to but with all the games that came out it's a bit hard.

I bought mine from lucasarts for like 20 or 30$ about 2 or 3 years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000DMAD/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1196384926&sr=8-1

They're selling it at around 20$ new and gogamer has it for sale also.[/quote]

Thanks! Somebody must have re-released it. Or found a truckload in a warehouse.

Grim Fandango is my favorite game of all time. It's the only game I have played through more than once and thats saying a lot coming from me, because I NEVER finish games. The story, characters, music, atmosphere, and puzzles are all amazing. I played through it 5 times, and it has no replay value, thats how much I love it. I'm gunna go install it on my laptop right now and play it again.

Nice to see plenty of fans around here. (And peeps who'd like to check the game out)

I was having some weird errors with the game. I'd get the random ctd here and there, but luckily the grim fandango patch cleared up those bugs. And my saves weren't corrupted either (as some patches do to saved games) so i was able to keep playing just fine. This (and Half-Life) must be among the top games that i would never grow tired of, either. I was going to buy the soundtrack for it but i read it's hard to find... and that copies of it usually go for 100 dollars. Damn!

Luckily, some site had the soundtrack up for download (legally i'd assume, as if it weren't they wouldn't have it up in the first place...)

http://www.grimfandango.net/?page=soundtrack

:)

And if you search the web more closely, you can find the extended soundtrack as well. Or try Soulseek.

I've said it many times before, but as much as I love Grim Fandango, the story trails off horribly in the last third or so.

[quote name='boblentil']Grim Fandango Day of the Tentacle is the best game of all time.[/quote]

Fixed. Kidding. Love Grim Fandango.

I have an idea, though!

I recommend doing the following:

Go to your PM window, and click on "Create New PM" and in the user name type in "Strell". In the message body, write the harshest ever guilt trip you can think of regarding never playing Grim Fandango.

Example:

"We've been informed that you have never player, nor beaten Grim Fandango, by the excellent video game developer Tim Schafer. Being that as of October 2008, you will have had exactly TEN YEARS to have experienced this gem of gaming, and no longer qualify for any kind of a lame excuse. Since we've been informed that Colbert, Mario has provided you with a free copy of this game, you must present us with proof of beating Grim Fandango (praise, salivation, heavy breathing, and/or discovery that the world is a MAGNIFICENT place so long that Tim Schafer is in it will suffice).

This is your final warning.

Sincerely,

Grim Fandango Awareness Group, Reno, Nevada."

I've been searching for the LucasArts Classic Release that Australia has seen recently, but I couldn't find anything on it. It's available on Amazon Marketplace for $20, though. That's HUGE.

I just brought an orginal release with the big box off ebay for $30. Got it and its in great condition.

Now a really expensive game is system shock 2. Which I will be ponying up for sometime in the future.

Still have my original copy of this (and all the classic LucasArts adventures). Been years since I played, but I loved it very much. Have the sountrack, too. Even put it on my iPod.

I was bored at work... I checked every poster's user profile to see if their age is listed. I don't know if mine is, but I averaged it in, anyway.

The average is 22 and a third.

Thanks to Tybee for being the oldest. The Crotch brought it down some, but something tells me he's lying. I don't believe he is seventeen - I believe he's a liar. No young man would predict my entrance ever so effortlessly.

Before you start calling me names - I work for a web design division at my university. The project(s) I am assigned to at the moment involve heaps upon heaps of nonsense. I dread going back to them... And I enjoy making averages, it reminds me of that first degree that I got. In Applied M-something.

[quote name='MarioColbert']I was bored at work... I checked every poster's user profile to see if their age is listed. I don't know if mine is, but I averaged it in, anyway.

Thanks to Tybee for being the oldest. The Crotch brought it down some, but something tells me he's lying. I don't believe he is seventeen - I believe he's a liar. No young man would predict my entrance ever so effortlessly.

Before you start calling me names - I work for a web design division at my university. The project(s) I am assigned to at the moment involve heaps upon heaps of nonsense. I dread going back to them... And I enjoy making averages, it reminds me of that first degree that I got. In Applied M-something.[/quote]
Wow, that's...um...great.

**shuffles off to kill self...or die of natural causes, apparently**

Is anyone running this on 64bit or know how to get it to run on 64bit?

When I launch the installer it says that it's not compatible with 64bit.

Edit:
nvm, got it to run with a patched installer. Now there's a new problem.

Tons of graphical glitches. Manny goes on top of the foreground, odd lines appear (not tearing). It's updated to 1.01 because when I try to run 1.01 update, it says it's up to date or newer. Any suggestions?

[quote name='Tybee']Wow, that's...um...great.

**shuffles off to kill self...or die of natural causes, apparently**[/quote]
I said OLDEST with the average of 22. I'm above that number, too. And judging from everyone else's age, I was depressed.

My wife's two years older than me. She'll be 30 soon. That's going to be awesome, I shall have the ultimate feedback. I think I'll need to make the birthday card myself. Anyone know of any Hallmark cards that use the word combination "OLD HAG?" Mad appreciated.

[quote name='dragonsho']
Tons of graphical glitches. Manny goes on top of the foreground, odd lines appear (not tearing). It's updated to 1.01 because when I try to run 1.01 update, it says it's up to date or newer. Any suggestions?

[/quote]

Sure, this isn't a problem. Go to the Options in the game, and into Graphics, and play around with Graphics acceleration bit. It'll be over in no time.

I put the graphics accelleration on, and there isn't anything else in the menu that allows you to tweak graphics settings. If i leave graphics accelleration off, the game instantly crashes.

[quote name='dragonsho']I put the graphics accelleration on, and there isn't anything else in the menu that allows you to tweak graphics settings. If i leave graphics accelleration off, the game instantly crashes.[/quote]

I was having severe graphic problems too, but setting it to software made it work ok. It would only crash when an fmv/movie sequence was playing.. but the patch fixed it up.

[quote name='MarioColbert']
Thanks to Tybee for being the oldest. The Crotch brought it down some, but something tells me he's lying. I don't believe he is seventeen - I believe he's a liar. No young man would predict my entrance ever so effortlessly.[/quote]The Crotch: Dragging things down since January the Third, nine-teen-nine-ty.

I'm putting together an older p.c thats going to run windows 98 to play this game and some other older games. Hopefully I won't have any issues.

Did anyone else purchase the game direct from LucasArts during release and get this:

manny_icon.jpg

It's one of my prized gaming possessions and doubles as my avatar sometimes :)

[quote name='hawkhogan']I was having severe graphic problems too, but setting it to software made it work ok. It would only crash when an fmv/movie sequence was playing.. but the patch fixed it up.[/quote]
software mode=instant crash when gameplay starts. I've tried everything I can think of, even tweaking the nvidia control panel settings.

[quote name='dragonsho']software mode=instant crash when gameplay starts. I've tried everything I can think of, even tweaking the nvidia control panel settings.[/quote]

Mine runs fine on a (32bit) Windows XP.
Are you running it in a compatibility setting?

I just picked up the rerelease recently, which is actually the UK version I think. I never got around to playing this. I'll get to it soon.

[quote name='MarioColbert']Mine runs fine on a (32bit) Windows XP.
Are you running it in a compatibility setting?[/quote]
I've tried every compatibility setting.

Maybe I'll give in and just try it on 32bit.

[quote name='dragonsho']I've tried every compatibility setting.

Maybe I'll give in and just try it on 32bit.[/quote]

I've had the same graphics glitches as you have, and I just turned on the acceleration. I know for a fact mine is NOT running on Software...

I'll check my settings tonight, I still have it installed on my "work only" machine... Hmm...

Look the game *is* great... but the controls fcking suck. And being that this is how you interact with the world, hell yes I think this is relevant to bring up. Tank controls in an adventure game? Gross.

[quote name='MarioColbert']I've had the same graphics glitches as you have, and I just turned on the acceleration. I know for a fact mine is NOT running on Software...

I'll check my settings tonight, I still have it installed on my "work only" machine... Hmm...[/quote] It instantly crashes on software and gives me glitches on accelleration on.

I installed in 32bit and same exact thing. I think it may be the 8800gt maybe.

Edit:
so, after all that, when I run it in a window, it's perfect, hardware accelleration off. The only thing is that I can't run full screen with hardware accelleration off.

Any suggestions?

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Look the game *is* great... but the controls fcking suck. And being that this is how you interact with the world, hell yes I think this is relevant to bring up. Tank controls in an adventure game? Gross.[/quote]You can change the controls, you know...

Never got around to playing it, but it DID get lots of accolades as I remember.

Now where's that damn System Shock 2 CD I still can't find?!

[quote name='MarioColbert']I was bored at work... I checked every poster's user profile to see if their age is listed. I don't know if mine is, but I averaged it in, anyway.

Thanks to Tybee for being the oldest. The Crotch brought it down some, but something tells me he's lying. I don't believe he is seventeen - I believe he's a liar. No young man would predict my entrance ever so effortlessly.[/QUOTE]
If you're still bored and want to recalculate the average, I'm 41.

I bought Grim Fandango for full price when it first came out, and it was worth every penny and then some. I think I've played through it twice, but it's been a while now. I think the fear of getting the graphical issues/crashes being discussed in this thread are the main thing keeping me from loading it up again (I'm still very tech-stupid and easily frustrated by stuff like that)

[quote name='Danimal']If you're still bored and want to recalculate the average, I'm 41.[/quote]

Oh thank God.

[quote name='dragonsho']Finally got it working with software mode. I had to disable direct draw under the display tab in dxdiag.[/quote]

Under which tab? How do I get to dxdiag? What graphics card are you using?

I've been having some issues with direct draw and I could never figure out how to turn it off with my 8800.

Sorry for the highjacking everyone.

Oh man, just seeing this thread title means I'm gonna be playing Manny again tomorrow, assuming I can get my computer to run the disc.

Yep, you people have made sure I'll be reinstalling this game over the weekend, as if I didn't have enough waiting for me to play. And I'm sure 64-bit Vista's going to be oh-so-kind to it.

Damn you.

Thank you.

I couldn't resist grabbing the game off my shelf right now. I have the jewel case edition, which installed and plays perfectly on my 32-bit Vista machine. My Xbox 360 wireless controller works, too!

[quote name='Jkmetal']Under which tab? How do I get to dxdiag? What graphics card are you using?

I've been having some issues with direct draw and I could never figure out how to turn it off with my 8800.

Sorry for the highjacking everyone.[/quote]

I have an 8800gt evga superclocked

Go to Start>Run

type in "dxdiag" without quotes

then after it loads click on the display tab in dxdiag

then disable directdraw (it automatically disabled 3d accelleration for me, but if it doesn't for you try disabling that too)

bread's done
Back