Grizzly Man on Discovery Channel tonight and tomorrow night at 8 and 11

modium

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Grizzly Man, aka the Best Film of 2005, is going to be on Discovery tonight (Friday) at 8 PM and 11 PM (EST), and again tomorrow night (Saturday) at 8 PM and 11 PM (EST). I know I dropped the ball on the first showing, but I forgot about it until just now. Even though I own it on DVD, I found it hard to tear myself away again. But, there are still 3 more showings, so plant your butts on the couch and get to watchin'.

Now you have no excuse. Here's your chance to check out the film that CAG's own Zman310 called "An absolutely amazing film," a movie, dubbed by yours truly to be "incredible, touching and thought-proviking!" (wtf is proviking...?)

For more info, check out IMDB, as usual.

I wanted to watch it tonight, but I'm trapped at work. I could watch it here, but I can only watch films if they're uninterrupted and if my attention can be applied 100%.

I've been meaning to buy the DVD, anyway.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']Can someone explain what it's about?[/QUOTE]You could check the link to IMDB in the OP. But, I actually prefer the Netflix summary:

Renowned nonfiction director Werner Herzog chronicles the tragic and untimely death of outdoorsman Timothy Treadwell, who devoted his life to studying grizzly bears living in the Alaskan wilderness -- only to have one of them maul him to death. Pieced together mainly from Treadwell's own video footage, this fascinating documentary goes deep into the wilderness of one man's mind to uncover how he spent his final days.

If you're still not sold, check out the thoughts on the film by esteemed critic Roger Ebert and equally-esteemed CAG dood modium. :lol:

Edit: For anybody interested, this is the original theatrical cut, which is slightly different from the cut on the DVD. Towards the beginning of this version, there is footage of Treadwell on the David Letterman show. On the DVD, due to what I assume is a HV rights issue, the footage is replaced with that of Treadwell on a different talk show, but the content is pretty much the same.

I tried watching this as per the OPs suggestion but it's so jam packed with commercials that its unbearable to stick with. Not only is there a commercial break literally every 5 minutes but the break is so friggin long I'd forget what I was watching. So I gave up about 30 mins in. Thanks anyway OP, maybe I'll give it a rent when I return to Netflix.

I've watched the first half of it and I must admit it's interseting, but I am a little disappointed. It's not as greta as I've heard. And the narrator/director misses a lot of the obviious. Like the fact that the guy has some serious psychological issues.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar'] And the narrator/director misses a lot of the obviious. Like the fact that the guy has some serious psychological issues.[/QUOTE]

Like how he screams at the top of his lungs for God, Lil' Jesus, Allah, or the floaty thing to send rain for the animals?

man i would of been pissed cause i almost rented this today at Blockbuster but put it down... Got my DVR set to record it tonight 11pm to 1am and tomorrow 8pm to 11pm.. (my DVR has problems sometimes and it dont record right)

going to put it on DVR

Watch it and record it on tape (take out the ads)

then burn the VHS tape to DVD probally next week

wham movie on DVD without even buying :)

SPOLIER

Does the beat eat him in this show or did that happen later

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I've watched the first half of it and I must admit it's interseting, but I am a little disappointed. It's not as greta as I've heard. And the narrator/director misses a lot of the obviious. Like the fact that the guy has some serious psychological issues.[/QUOTE]I don't think he missed it. It's obvious, so why would it need to be pointed out? ;) I mean, do you think that sane people live in the wilderness with wild grizzlies for 13 summers? Personally, that's what makes it interesting, but that's just me.

I forgot how great Richard Thompson's score is. It manages to hit just the right notes when it needs to. There's a documentary on the scoring of the film on the DVD, which I need to check out.

After watching the DVD version of the Grizzly Man - I came to two conclusions:

1 - This guy has balls so big he needs dump trucks to carry them around for him when he is with/around the grizzly bears.

2 - When he is NOT around the grizzly bears - it is pretty obvious that his cheese has slid way off his cracker.

My favorite parts of the documentary is when he goes on about the Bee that is not moving and he thinks its dead and he says: "I love that Bee" - but then after he says that the Bee starts moving around again.

The two males Bears fighting on the beach is a pretty intense scene.

[quote name='deadhead272003']
The two males Bears fighting on the beach is a pretty intense scene.[/QUOTE]

Awesome scene. Actually a really good movie. Thanks Modium.

[quote name='slidecage']man i would of been pissed cause i almost rented this today at Blockbuster but put it down... Got my DVR set to record it tonight 11pm to 1am and tomorrow 8pm to 11pm.. (my DVR has problems sometimes and it dont record right)

going to put it on DVR

Watch it and record it on tape (take out the ads)

then burn the VHS tape to DVD probally next week

wham movie on DVD without even buying :)

SPOLIER

Does the beat eat him in this show or did that happen later[/QUOTE]
What the hell is a "SPOLIER"?

Heh, I taped it since I went out, I'll have to watch it tomorrow. Skipping the commercials will should make it reasonably shorter than the 3 hours it listed at, that's a long time to watch a man hang out with bears.

Damn .. no wonder it seemed like this thing was flooded with commercials. It's because it was. The run time of the movie is 103 minutes (1:43) yet it was in a 3 hour slot. So I think we can all figure out what the other 77 minutes was.

My mom and stepdad rented the DVD and called it the worst movie they've ever seen. It doesn't seem too appealing to me, but I'll give it a shot if I am home.

!!SPOILER!!

The only good thing about this show is the satisfaction in knowing that this wacko, idiot who thought he was protecting bears got eaten for dinner by them.

The overdramatisation of his death by the coroner and all the forced crying scenes was soap opera-like.

I saw it last night. Its a good movie but Treadwell I think was borderline psychotic. Their is a difference between studying animals and thinking you are a part of the pack and there pets.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']What the hell is a "SPOLIER"?[/QUOTE]
As per Google:
Definitions of spolier on the Web in French:

* déposséder par ruse ou par violence , dépouiller une contribution de Pascal Forget

Tranlsated with Babel Fish:
to dispossess by trick or violence, to strip a contribution of Pascal Forget

Always enjoy clarifying these things!

[quote name='Stoneage']As per Google:
Definitions of spolier on the Web in French:

* déposséder par ruse ou par violence , dépouiller une contribution de Pascal Forget

Tranlsated with Babel Fish:
to dispossess by trick or violence, to strip a contribution of Pascal Forget

Always enjoy clarifying these things![/QUOTE]

Mr Macy. Knows what a spoiler is, He was just saying what he quoted was not a spoiler cause the tv showed told you before. If you have digital cable or satellite and hit the info or guide button it tells you he died.

I will say this again for anyone who has not seen it. timmy treadwell should have been in the mental institution their is a difference between studying animals and what he did.

[quote name='Graystone']Mr Macy. Knows what a spoiler is, He was just saying what he quoted was not a spoiler cause the tv showed told you before. If you have digital cable or satellite and hit the info or guide button it tells you he died.

I will say this again for anyone who has not seen it. timmy treadwell should have been in the mental institution their is a difference between studying animals and what he did.[/QUOTE]
I. Knows what a spoiler is.

[quote name='Graystone']Mr Macy. Knows what a spoiler is...[/QUOTE]
and now he knows what a spolier is, as well.

Timmy Treadwell.....if I had that name, I would expect to be eaten by a bear, as well. This isn't the same guy who trained Bart the bear from such movies as "The Great Outdoors", is it? No....I am pretty sure he died of non-bear-related causes. Has Wm. H. Macy, esq. ever been in a movie with a bear?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']SPOILER....

So does he get eaten on camera?

END[/QUOTE]

SPOILER

I wish. All they do is talk about how horrible the audio is and cry a lot in typical overdramatic soap opera fashion. Then they honor the guy like he is some sort of hero or something.

The best part is how they say he was "murdered" by a bear. :roll:

Watched it off the Tivo this morning. Good stuff, thanks for the tip. Made me want to go camping.

Saw the comment about it being stretched to 3 hours... They did have a lot of commercial breaks, but there is also about a 30 minute follow up to the documentary tacked on the end where his friends talk about their reaction to the movie. Of course, I didn't really notice the commercials since I was FFing past them.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']SPOILER....

So does he get eaten on camera?

END[/QUOTE]

No, he doesn't. There isn't video of him dying out there... it's just audio. I think there might be a vdeo tape, but it assuredly does not show him getting mauled by a bear...it just picked up the audio. The "death scene" they talk about is him screaming and whatnot..

I read more into it, in hopes of finding that audio tape after I saw the movie last night. They haven't released it to the public, and there's not plan to...

Winnie's Compiled Summary of Tim's Death from a few sources thanks to Google
OK, lemme start... apparently, he goes to approach a bear on the last day they're there. I think they stayed there for months, too! Isn't that ironic? Hours before you're about to leave, your luck ran out... you think he would've been killed sooner.

Now, the two are about to have a snack of some sort... they think that's maybe what attracted the bear. I guess Tim went out there to communicate with the bear, or whatever. At this point, Tim said something like, "Turn the camera on!" to Amie. Some of the people that have listened to the tape believe that him shouting startled the bear.

OK, so continuing on... the bear then starts mauling Tim. Remember, in the documentary, they say Tim says something like, "I'm getting killed here... save yourself!" Amie told Tim to play dead a couple times...

The bear then apparently went away, but later came back. The audio tape has the two discussing whether or not the bear was gone...

But then, the bear came back, and this is where Tim died. While he's getting mauled to death, to yells to Annie and said, "Hit the bear!" Now this is where things are going to get controversial... what do you think about him saying that? For someone who was so gung-ho about protecting bears and who repeatedly started throughout the film that he didn't want these things harmed (even if he was killed), it's kind of surprising that he said that. Now, granted, that's easy for me to say... because I doubt I'd keep my word if a bear was mauling me, but... still kind made me question how genuine this guy really was. Again: it's not like anyone out there would stay calm and cool... the adrenaline and absolute terror you would experience would lead you to do anything. I don't really consider telling someone to hit a bear being "bad," it just seemed out of Tim's nature. I guess I'm kind of split on where I stand on him saying that.

Oh, one more thing: the pilot came to pick Tim and Amie up; he yelled to them, but got no response, and at that point, he said he started to feel nervous and whatnot. He said that the bear was not one that Tim was "friends" with, and it was one that Tim had hated, too. So, really, going back to that mauling... sounds like this bear was a "tough customer" and not very friendly (which provides a little bit more empathy from me when I pass judgement on him telling Amie to hit the bear).

Very, very interesting... and really quite tragic. I mean, the guy was crazy, but his intentions were always for the best. And I know I'm sounding kind of harsh when I look down on a dead guy and say, "Man, I can't believe how big of a hypocrite he sounded like telling Amie to hit the bear," it's just that... it wasn't what I expected, you know? He didn't die as ... "honorably" as he repeatedly claimed he would. Yes, I realize emotions would make you a different person, and that he didn't take kindly to that bear... it's just... I don't know. But by no means am I trying to downplay the guy's death, because I really was heartbroken after watching that show last night.

I hope this helps some people who wanted to know a little bit more about Tim. I was very intrigued after I saw the show, and I think the film left out some really incredible pieces of the puzzle... But then again, I also missed the first hour, so I'm not sure if any of this was covered.

Some of that is in the documentary, but some of it is not. Interesting. They don't say much about what's on the tape in the documentary, just that it has a lot of screaming from Amie and that at one point Tim yells at Amie to run away (i.e. save yourself.)

As far as him yelling for Amie to hit the bear. I don't see any hypocrisy in that at all. Hitting a bear is not going to cause any harm at all to the creature. It's just a desperate attempt to scare/run the bear off. The only thing I could see someone criticizing on that is that he was apparently asking Amie to put herself in a bit more danger than she already was in by striking the bear. But the guy was possibly already being eaten alive at that point, I'd cut him some slack.

My opinion of the guy is that he was a little nuts, but also lived a pretty interesting life. I think he was really more about living like a bear/being friends with the bears than doing any sort of scientific study of them. And I'm not sure if he wouldn't have agreed with that assessment himself.

[quote name='wubb']
My opinion of the guy is that he was a little nuts, but also lived a pretty interesting life.[/QUOTE]

IMO he was a fucking nut job that only went out to live with the bears to have an escape for his Alcoholism. Plus he never did anything like Jane Goodall. He went out their more for himself then anything. My point in bashing him is I'm tired of hearing he was a great man. No he was not he did nothing for anything but himself. Look at it like this, think of an evil or vile person. When that person dies people will think to themselves thank god he's dead. I hated that bastard. But you stick a camera on them or have them make a speech. Then they go oh he was the greatest man alive and he was was a humanitarian that served all corners of the community. I will say yes he had big balls for attempting what he did, but he did in time pay the ultimate price.

He is a link I found about the negatives.
http://www.frizzensparks.com/archives/000173.html

[quote name='Graystone']IMO he was a fucking nut job that only went out to live with the bears to have an escape for his Alcoholism. Plus he never did anything like Jane Goodall. He went out their more for himself then anything. My point in bashing him is I'm tired of hearing he was a great man. No he was not he did nothing for anything but himself. Look at it like this, think of an evil or vile person. When that person dies people will think to themselves thank god he's dead. I hated that bastard. But you stick a camera on them or have them make a speech. Then they go oh he was the greatest man alive and he was was a humanitarian that served all corners of the community. I will say yes he had big balls for attempting what he did, but he did in time pay the ultimate price.

He is a link I found about the negatives.
http://www.frizzensparks.com/archives/000173.html[/QUOTE]I don't think that anybody called him great. He certainly wasn't great. I've seen many call him interesting, but I'd imagine that you knew the difference. Timothy had his share of flaws just like any of us, and it just happens that his ultimately propelled him towards a fascinating life.

We certainly don't need an anonymous rant to show the "negatives" of the story, they're all there in the film for those who wish to see them.

[quote name='modium']I don't think that anybody called him great. He certainly wasn't great. I've seen many call him interesting, but I'd imagine that you knew the difference. Timothy had his share of flaws just like any of us, and it just happens that his ultimately propelled him towards a fascinating life.

We certainly don't need an anonymous rant to show the "negatives" of the story, they're all there in the film for those who wish to see them.[/QUOTE]

I was not talking about people here calling him great. But every since this came on tv it has created some buzz and others not on CAG, Are saying he was a great man. It kinda pissed me off and sent me into a blind rant.

[quote name='Graystone']I was not talking about people here calling him great. But every since this came on tv it has created some buzz and others not on CAG, Are saying he was a great man. It kinda pissed me off and sent me into a blind rant.[/QUOTE]Well, rant at them! Here, youre just preaching to the choir, son. ;)

Also, for anybody interested, there's an absolutely hilarious story that went up on IMDB yesterday, involving Herzog, the director/narrator of Grizzly Man:
Oscar-nominee Joaquin Phoenix was rescued from his car wreck last week by German cult director Werner Herzog. The 31-year-old Walk The Line star overturned his car on a canyon road above Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood after his brakes failed and he collided with another vehicle. Phoenix was saved because he was wearing his seat-belt, but has revealed he was helped from the wreckage by the 63-year-old, who has a home nearby. The actor says, "I remember this knocking on the passenger window. There was this German voice saying, 'Just relax.' There's the airbag, I can't see and I'm saying, 'I'm fine. I am relaxed. Finally, I rolled down the window and this head pops inside. And he said, 'No, you're not.' And suddenly I said to myself, 'That's Werner Herzog' There's something so calming and beautiful about Werner Herzog's voice. I felt completely fine and safe. I climbed out. I got out of the car and I said, 'Thank you,' and he was gone."

i wish i would have noticed this 45 minutes ago. i guess i'll just have to stay up late and watch it.

thanks for posting this, otherwise i probably would have missed it.

[quote name='Scrubking']!!SPOILER!!

The only good thing about this show is the satisfaction in knowing that this wacko, idiot who thought he was protecting bears got eaten for dinner by them.

.[/QUOTE]

Me and my husband LOLed when we watched this, and found out that a bear mauled him to death. The bears probably got tired of his annoying ass and his pesky GF too. Yes, we're sick people. I admit it.

I too am glad that he is dead by bear. How the fuck is he not gay?! He so obviously gay throughout. His girlfriend must be fugly

[quote name='dastly75']I too am glad that he is dead by bear. How the fuck is he not gay?! He so obviously gay throughout. His girlfriend must be fugly[/QUOTE]I agree! I think all gay people should be mauled by bears. That'll teach them!

[quote name='modium']I agree! I think all gay people should be mauled by bears. That'll teach them![/QUOTE]
I don't know. I'll need to research your plans. Let's see, I'll just enter "gay people bears" into google here and see what comes up.

[quote name='jmcc'] I'll need to research your plans. Let's see, I'll just enter "gay people bears" into google here and see what comes up.[/QUOTE]

:shock:

[quote name='jmcc']Oh...oh my...[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

that guy was such a fruit, him with his fox was just toooooo weird. Has Jurassic Park not taught people anything, dont fuck with nature.

I apologize if my comments towards anybody here have sounded harsh at all. I don't think Treadwell was a hero or anything like that, but he was a human being and if there's anything I feel strongly about in the world, it's respecting the dead, which is why it bothers the hell out of me to see anybody saying that he deserved it, or that they thought it was funny.

I have no wish to debate Treadwell or any of the content, really. I think it's an entirely entertaining and fascinating piece of work and I just hoped some of my fellow CAGs would think so as well.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']that guy was such a fruit, him with his fox was just toooooo weird. Has Jurassic Park not taught people anything, dont fuck with nature.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

bread's done
Back